Macross Frontier Episode 5 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 5 Rating  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of Episode 5

• Positive (At least the girl is attractive)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (I would hate the taste concrete on the 1st date)

I can see plenty of Hinduism and Buddhism influences here, Vajra,

the Zentraedi mall looks like a bunch of temples, the color and marking of SMS Battleship.

. But its fine with me as long they didn't name VF-25 as VF-25 Arjuna :ph34r:

Yeah, then there's this. I wish these people would make up their mind. Or at least higher someone to make sure it's consistent, they use so much English in anime nowadays. =|

http://file.isin.blog.shinobi.jp/903389c1.jpeg

I'd use Nome; Big West/Victor is selling the CD single rather than just advertising it. Plus, a Google search for "Sheryl Nome" yields 17 times more hits than "Sheryl Norm."

Edited by veffidas

I'd use Nome; Big West/Victor is selling the CD single rather than just advertising it. Plus, a Google search for "Sheryl Nome" yields 17 times more hits than "Sheryl Norm."

I'd probably use Nome too because there's precedent for it.

About the Norm/Nome thing, just compare kana and solve it once and for all. If it's the same, then it really shouldn't matter since precedent has been set with M0.

*pulls out M0 vol. 1 DVD and looks at MF website*

It's the same. All we all happy now?

Sara Nome

cn_sara.gif

Wonderful new episode!

Some notes on this episode:

• Its great that there's more development between Alto and Sheryl but kind of unfortunate that it was at Ranka's expense. It seems that the anime took a different plot from that in the manga. I was seriously surprised by all this though I should have expected it after Sheryl surprising Alto at the end of episode 4.

• People said that Sheryl says a line that Minmay once said. Sorry but my Japanese is quite rusty. Anyone care to elaborate? Couldn't quite catch it myself even after 2 viewings.

• Opening scene with Ozma getting hit by a wok was priceless! Anyone catch that flying Minmay doll as well? Must be a classic toy by now kind of like Barbie is in the real world.

• Locker scene was way too much for a PG-13 audience. Definitely made my blush

:p On a similar note, what's the rating on this show anyway?

• What's that thing on Alto's neck anyway? Some kind of good luck charm?

• Luca is just way too young-looking. And why does he have to wear blush all the time?

• The episode definitely stuck to the "Star Date" title. Its wonderful seeing Sheryl in a different light outside of her normal celebrity world. Though reminiscent of the Minmay-Hikaru date of old, they hardly did anything similar to the original series. It also gives a chance to develop her character outside the snooty holier-than-thou attitude one would normally attach to a celebrity. Maybe deep down inside, she's just a simple girl at heart.

• Super Hot hotdogs FTW!

• The observatory(? Don't know what its called) was definitely the highlight of the whole date for me. Wonderful setting and images. Kind of odd that Sheryl is so surprised with it. Isn't MGalaxy a clamshell-type ship as well? Arent' these ships all made to similar specifications with only the geography all different?

• Lobsters are virtually unstoppable! These things are like zombies! Got to turn them into space dust before they stop moving. It also seems that they can be reactivated when exposed to music (or something else). Reminds me of the last episode of M7.

• Loved seeing the Zentradi civilians! Zentradi mall, Zentradi farmers, Zentradi underwear, Zentradi karaoke. Here's to seeing more of these "culture" artifacts that we've never seen these aliens take part of. Hopefully, some giant-on-giant kissing scenes (hopefully involving Klan)!

• Showing that hippo-cow definitely explains how they keep all these people fed. Did it just burp or sneeze on Sheryl? Yuck!

• Folmo mall! I wonder what that talking head is doing right now.

• What is Sheryl writing on those panties anyway?

• Nice "date" scene between Ranka and Mikhail. It certainly developed their friendship from a pilot and superior officer's little sister relationship.

• Leon just keeps getting creepier and creepier looking.

• Ranka's singing is definitely another high note in this episode. People are finally starting to notice her. Her way of singing songs definitely lend a youthful, playful style to more serious singers' take on songs. Its definitely a different pace from Minmay and Sheryl's singing.

• I agree that Ranka's future manager is even more creepy here than in the manga. Animators must have deliberately colored him fugly colors!

• Goodbye scene at the end was definitely great for Alto-Sheryl pairup fans like me. Seems like the love triangle is seriously beginning at this point. I've never seen quite these many blushing scenes between a love team pair in quite a while.

• Too bad that the VF-1 scene in the school wasn't animated. Would've wanted to see an "antique" model VF-1 animated again using today's techniques.

• Next week is looking great with the series returning to its military action roots. Finally, we're taking the war to these aliens!

Edited by raymond

Just a few things.

1. Looking at what the Vajra is in Indian mythology, (a weapon), I think that its fair to assume thats all the species of bugs are. Just weapons.

2. During today's episode, when the Vajra "reactivated" did Cathy really have a swooning faint and fall into Ozma's arms. If so, thats sci-fi old school. If she was hit by debris, I certainly didn't see it.

3. Is that supposed to be the Vajra that Ozma stabbed in the neck. Or has one been captured and kept in storage after a previous encounter. (that would remind me of independence day, "Here's this alien ship that we caught earlier and we've known about them all along.")

4. I think that its pretty obvious why the Vajra in the tank reawakened. Look at him clutching his claw in frustration before he goes beserk. He's sick of being bored by Leon's crappy speech. :lol:

5. As you can see from my last point, I have now decided that the Vajra are male, all of them. Big red and yellow boys out for a good time with the little girls. (God, I'm tired........)

6. Finally, I am going to see the Foo Fighters tonight. Just thought I would let everybody know. Pity I am not seeing them in the Sydney Opera House again which is where I saw them last time they toured. A replica of the Opera House would look good in the colony ship, actually.

Taksraven

Commander may not be mr. head honcho at all. Mr. Birurira/Brera might be the main sponsor/owner of SMS. The power of capitalism after all allows you to wear androgynous clothings and not be deemed weird. :lol:

Just watched episode 5.

Mr. Brera looks like a bald & robust Zentraedi looking man with a big ring on his hand. He looks in his 50s. I just realized Bera is his family name. Perhaps Sterne Brera is his daughter... (Sterne means Star in German... a name that fits a girl better).

People said that Sheryl says a line that Minmay once said. Sorry but my Japanese is quite rusty. Anyone care to elaborate? Couldn't quite catch it myself even after 2 viewings.

In DYRL, when Hikaru

met up with

Minmay in the park, and

recogniz

ed her, she said,

"Atashi to ishou ja, iya?"

, i.e.

"You don't want to be {seen} with me?"

. (If you've REALLY got a lot of time on your hands, and want to check it out, it's easier to find in

Flashback 2012

, right before

"Sunset Beach"

Anyway, at the beginning of this episode, when

Alto

and

Sheryl

are in the

locker room

Sheryl

ALSO

says, "Atashi to ishou ja, iya?"

with EXACTLY THE SAME

tone and inflection

. They must have

given the actress the line, played

Minmay's

line for her, and said, "We want you to read it

JUST LIKE THIS."

And she did. Subtle and brilliant.

Just a few things.

1. Looking at what the Vajra is in Indian mythology, (a weapon), I think that its fair to assume thats all the species of bugs are. Just weapons.

2. During today's episode, when the Vajra "reactivated" did Cathy really have a swooning faint and fall into Ozma's arms. If so, thats sci-fi old school. If she was hit by debris, I certainly didn't see it.

3. Is that supposed to be the Vajra that Ozma stabbed in the neck. Or has one been captured and kept in storage after a previous encounter. (that would remind me of independence day, "Here's this alien ship that we caught earlier and we've known about them all along.")

4. I think that its pretty obvious why the Vajra in the tank reawakened. Look at him clutching his claw in frustration before he goes beserk. He's sick of being bored by Leon's crappy speech. :lol:

5. As you can see from my last point, I have now decided that the Vajra are male, all of them. Big red and yellow boys out for a good time with the little girls. (God, I'm tired........)

6. Finally, I am going to see the Foo Fighters tonight. Just thought I would let everybody know. Pity I am not seeing them in the Sydney Opera House again which is where I saw them last time they toured. A replica of the Opera House would look good in the colony ship, actually.

Taksraven

I believe its the one that Ozma stabbed and "killed" in episode 2. They loaded it in a truck in the same episode. This one had its head intact unlike the one shot by Mikhail in episode 3. Leon is just flat out creepy!

In DYRL, when Hikaru

met up with

Minmay in the park, and

recogniz

ed her, she said,

"Atashi to ishou ja, iya?"

, i.e.

"You don't want to be {seen} with me?"

. (If you've REALLY got a lot of time on your hands, and want to check it out, it's easier to find in

Flashback 2012

, right before

"Sunset Beach"

Anyway, at the beginning of this episode, when

Alto

and

Sheryl

are in the

locker room

Sheryl

ALSO

says, "Atashi to ishou ja, iya?"

with EXACTLY THE SAME

tone and inflection

. They must have

given the actress the line, played

Minmay's

line for her, and said, "We want you to read it

JUST LIKE THIS."

And she did. Subtle and brilliant.

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up! Just replayed it back right now and you guys were right! One of these days I gotta watch all 25years worth of Macross and see if there's any more stuff that links with this MF. All these subtle links to past series is great though I hope they don't make any continuity errors which are so easy to do if they keep this up.

B))

After watching episode 5 I just realized some things...

Mr. Brera (the owner of S.M.S.) looks like a bald & robust Zentraedi looking man with a big ring on his hand. He looks in his 50s. I just realized Brera is his family name. Perhaps Sterne Brera is his daughter... (Sterne means Star in German... a name that fits a girl better).

The Vajra are living weapons. Their targets are those who sing "with effect"... (ANIMA SPIRITIA?) By this, I mean those singers that can increase emotion in ppl. My theory is that the Vajra are creations of the Supervision Army Protoculture & were controlled by the Protodeviln (Vajra sounds a lot like Varauta also, hehehe) who used them to kill ANIMA SPIRITIA. Since the times the Protodeviln were imprisoned by the ANIMA SPIRITIA the Vajra have been roaming the center of the galaxy trying to kill any being that produces songs (SOUND ENERGY?). They have doing it indefinitely without any external control or direction to stop (damned Protodeviln forgot to switch them off when they went to another galaxy at the end of M7). I hope I'm wrong, because this possibly means that the Megaroad was destroyed with all hands on board & Minmei was horribly killed by the Vajra when the fleet was lost in the center of the galaxy...

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Mr. Brera (the owner of S.M.S.) looks like a bald & robust Zentraedi looking man with a big ring on his hand. He looks in his 50s. I just realized Brera is his family name. Perhaps Sterne Brera is his daughter... (Sterne means Star in German... a name that fits a girl better).

Sorry...that's a big mistake, and it's partially my fault. I mixed up

Mister Viller (Or Habillar, or Bilra...depending on which sub you watch), who's the bald & robust guy in this episode

with

Brera, who's the blond guy with the elfin ears in the opening titles

. Sorry for the confusion...

The Vajra are living weapons. Their targets are those who sing "with effect"... (ANIMA SPIRITIA?) By this, I mean those singers that can increase emotion in ppl. My theory is that the Vajra are creations of the Supervision Army Protoculture & were controlled by the Protodeviln who used them to kill ANIMA SPIRITIA. Since the times the Protodeviln were imprisoned by the ANIMA SPIRITIA the Vajra have been traveling the center of the galaxy trying to kill any being that produces song (SOUND ENERGY?).

I really, really, REALLY doubt it...but we'll just have to WAFO.

Edited by Gubaba

Gawd, whoever originally wrote that stuff needs to be punched in the face. Stupid JP writers. >=O

The creators of Macross need to be punched in the face...? Why is your theory more valid than the words of the people who wrote the show in the first place?

The Vajra are living weapons. Their targets are those who sing "with effect"... (ANIMA SPIRITIA?) By this, I mean those singers that can increase emotion in ppl. My theory is that the Vajra are creations of the Supervision Army Protoculture & were controlled by the Protodeviln who used them to kill ANIMA SPIRITIA. Since the times the Protodeviln were imprisoned by the ANIMA SPIRITIA the Vajra have been roaming the center of the galaxy trying to kill any being that produces songs (SOUND ENERGY?). They have doing it indefinitely without any external control or direction to stop (damned Protodeviln forgot to switch them off when they went to another galaxy at the end of M7). I hope I'm wrong, because this possibly means that the Megaroad was destroyed with all hands on board & Minmei was horribly killed by the Vajra when the fleet was lost in the center of the galaxy...

Its not that much of a stretch to imagine that the Protoculture made the Vajra as well though we'll have to wait and see on that. Personally, my hope is that they finally meet one of these Protoculture guys and get a nice long talk on what these guys were thinking in the first place. The protoculture encounter in M7 was way too short in my opinion and left a great many things about matters other than the Protodeviln unanswered.

If I remember what Kawamori said before, he had already "retired" the old SDF1 characters and weren't planning on using them in future installments of the series. This, however, doesn't necessarily mean its impossible to know the true fate of the Megaroad1 and all aboard it, just that we won't be seeing Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay anymore. Besides, even if we do see them, they'll probably be pretty old. Grandma Minmay definitely can't make a comeback by then. It would be like Britney Spears retiring a few years from now only to sing that hit me baby one more time song 40+ years from now. Definitely gross. :lol: But seriously, here's to hoping that some of the long-standing mysteries like Megaroad1 and the Protoculture are developed further in this series!

I

would

to

put

forward

the

motion

that

its

about

time

we

did

away

with

these

boring

spoiler

tags

. I

think

that

if

you

read

the

new

episode

thread

without

having

seen

it

you

do

so

at

your

own

risk.

Anybody

want

to

second

my

motion

?

T

a

k

s

r

a

v

e

n

I second that motion. All these spoiler tags just makes things to hard to read. On the first page I understand but we don't need them past page one?

Really is someone going to start reading the topic in some middle numbered page?

It is good to see new people and old timer get excited about this series. I'm still on the fence. Remember when you first saw Macross 7 and were slightly turned off? After a few more episodes you either accepted it or just hated it. I still need to see more. Still not too fond of the character designs or the characters themselves. I just want to the part when they start killing off some of the cute characters. They all just seem too cutsy and girly to me. I'm talking about the male characters.

I

would

to

put

forward

the

motion

that

its

about

time

we

did

away

with

these

boring

spoiler

tags

. I

think

that

if

you

read

the

new

episode

thread

without

having

seen

it

you

do

so

at

your

own

risk.

Anybody

want

to

second

my

motion

?

T

a

k

s

r

a

v

e

n

I'm inclined to agree with you and i haven't seen the episode yet.

It's a bit tiresome to highlight bits n pieces of text... I wouldn't mind seeing them gone...

I'll wait for the aia release...

Anyone got any theories about this:

33ct4aq.jpg

I drew a rough overlay in the last image - looks very humanoid hmm?

Is it the Vajra's pilot? If so, looks to be they are materializing inside it...

Unless there is an explanation in japanese????? Damn it, when are the subs coming??!?!?!

*EDIT*

Added the spoiler tag... But really, if u don't wanna know about Ep.5 (and any other episode), what are u doing in this topic? :wacko::angry:

...Also, the spoiler tag doesn't seem to work on the pic? Help anyone?

Edited by Kurisama

If that were true, then hopefully Basara will pop up at some form for a few minutes during the show, to coach on Ranka, then go back about his mysterious way.

Or maybe he will appear to die a horrible way in the hands of the lobster... :rolleyes:

don't know if these have been posted yet, but here are some story points for those who can't wait for the subtitles:

ranka goes to an exclusive, strict all girls school and is suspended for her involvement in miss macross.

both ozma and michel blatantly doubt her ability to become a singer.

sheryl thinks alto is aggravating, but his one redeeming factor is that he doesn't treat her like "sheryl." (doesn't get star struck)

galaxy is a rather boring place with no forests, mountains, oceans, or beautiful cities. it sounds like sheryl digs frontier a lot.

the vajra have the same energy converting armor as valkyries and have the ability to continually produce missle like projectiles in their bodies, however, they lack any kind of brain whatsoever. thus, they are either a low form of life that doesn't require a brain, or they are controlled remotely, which points to them likely being biological weapons.

ranka states that it is thanks to alto that she has found the courage to sing in front of people, right before she sees sheryl kiss him on the cheek.

i wish kk would just stay macronized.

Edited by cyde01

Added the spoiler tag... But really, if u don't wanna know about Ep.5 (and any other episode), what are u doing in this topic? :wacko::angry:

...Also, the spoiler tag doesn't seem to work on the pic? Help anyone?

Damn right. Honestly how many pages are we in this thread?

If you dont want to deal with all the spoiler tags then do the simple thing. Hold down the CTRL button then press A on the key board and browse. Spoiler tags are gone and you can be lazy and not swing your mouse around.

Enjoyed the Episode hope to get a better understanding of everything when a translation comes out. My Japanese sucks.

I was just thinking, but were those Zentradi farmers or human farmers that were macronized? Is it even possible for humans to be macronized?

Also, why aren't there any of those electronic echo effects present when Zentradis were talking? Or is that a function of the confines of a spaceship that was making those echoes?