Macross Frontier Episode 5 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 5 Rating  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of Episode 5

• Positive (At least the girl is attractive)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (I would hate the taste concrete on the 1st date)

Good so far. The characterisation is ticking along nicely, there's a big battle coming up and it looks like we've found out what that other plane in the intro is. Seems to be a VF4 clone.

Nope, the plane that folds in at the end of episode 5 is completely different to the mystery VF in the opening animation.

Graham

After watching 5, I'm begining to think that perhaps the Vajra are just mindless bio-weapons part of something waaay bigger. Who is controlling them?

a) Sara Nome's ghost?

b) The Birdman (What was left of it)?

c) The Protoculture (What was left of it)?

d) Mr. Vilrer (fake/war NUNS/SMS weapon/trade/buy/"the good guys are the bad guys" conspiracy on the horizon...)?

e) One Eyed Willy!

Edited by Duke Togo

If you let the camera pan a little more to the right, it looks as though it's possibly Basara....that or they wanna throw us off again :p damn are they making alot of nods to the previous shows in each episode.

Plus and Zero are the exception, not the rule.

When that's 2 out of 5, they're not really "exceptions". (A higher or lower ratio for the serious side if you count the games and Macross II?)

Anyhow, if you like loli, fine. I think the series can be humorous without having to resort to that device.

Edited by papabear

When that's 2 out of 5, they're not really "exceptions". (A higher or lower ratio for the serious side if you count the games and Macross II?)

SDF Macross -36 Episodes

Macross 7 - 48 episodes, 3 encore episodes, 1 theatrical episode

Macross Dynamite 7 - 4 episodes

Macross Frontier - ?? episodes

Macross Plus - 4 episodes, 1 movie

Macross Zero - 5 episodes

My statement stands, Macross Plus and Zero are the exception, not the rule.

If you let the camera pan a little more to the right, it looks as though it's possibly Basara....that or they wanna throw us off again :p damn are they making alot of nods to the previous shows in each episode.

As much as I would love to see Basara show up, even in a minor cameo... I just don't see it happening. I don't think Basara could get within 5 lightyears of the fleet without completely stealing the show. ^_^

if we're going to say that ranka is "loli" then Mao should also count. They both wear sundresses, which are apparantly scandalous now, and we've seen both in a swimsuit, also scandalous. I seem to recall that we even got a cleavage shot of Mao, which we haven't had of ranka, which makes mao positively promiscuous in comparison. And don't forget her "girls gone wild" older sister all prancing around naked.

Ugh...Zero. If I thought that was the one disappointment to the Macross franchise before, Frontier really drives the final nail in the coffin for that OVA. Frontier is actually enjoyable to watch whereas Zero, I was just wondering when the next dogfight was going to happen.

Edit: Alright, maybe not entirely true about M0 only being worth it for the mecha pr0n. But Frontier certainly delivers on the parts where Zero was a failure as far as a Macross series goes.

Edited by Vinnie

As I said before, Macross Plus and Macross Zero where rather serious, but they were OAVs series essentially held to original fans which had grown up.

Macross Frontier aims to create a new generation of fans (like Macross 7 did), and thus it aimes a the younger anime crowd hence why it doesn't itself as seriously - just like the original SDFM and Macross 7 (and IMO, Plus and Zero probably were a tad TOO serious at times)

-Sergorn

hmm i'm "original fan" but strangely M+ and M0 didn't really appeal to me. (ok, M0's dogfights were spectacular, that's all, the background story didn't).

M7 and now Frontier appeals to me ALOT more~! Frontier is already at the top of my all time fav list and i'm not really such a die-hard macross-only anime fan.

(guess i never grow-up? :ph34r::lol: )

Ugh...Zero. If I thought that was the one disappointment to the Macross franchise before, Frontier really drives the final nail in the coffin for that OVA. Frontier is actually enjoyable to watch whereas Zero, I was just wondering when the next dogfight was going to happen.

Edit: Alright, maybe not entirely true about M0 only being worth it for the mecha pr0n. But Frontier certainly delivers on the parts where Zero was a failure as far as a Macross series goes.

Up until that it, that was pure blasphemy coming from you. The reason I love Zero so much is how much more real and serious and down to earth it is; It answers the question of why use variable fighters( beyond fighting zentraedi ), showing yes, F-14s and MiGs are great and all, but they just don't stand a chance against a variable.

As much as I would love to see Basara show up, even in a minor cameo... I just don't see it happening. I don't think Basara could get within 5 lightyears of the fleet without completely stealing the show. ^_^

i was hoping to see cameos of characters such as basara, hikaru, minmay etc not interacting with the story but just there in the background for fun (for fans to spot them :p)

speaking of which, i am enjoying the tributes to the past series, but i hope sometime soon that they will move on with their own story line and not be limited by paying tributes. (actually ep 5 didn't have much huh? which is good imo)

Actually Zero had better animation than Frontier. And the dogfights were pretty spectacular & well executed. And remember the spirals...

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Just finished episode 5, I loved it B)) It was very well done and beatifully drawn. Seeing the Zentradi living full sized in their own Island was awesome and I concur on the hippobovines, I want a plush one now :lol: Alot of details about the Frontier Fleet and Vajra are revealed, nice. Sheryl came off pretty well in this episode, I'm already sad for whichever girl is not the one in the end :(

Next episode should be balls to the walls action, I can't wait.

i was hoping to see cameos of characters such as basara, hikaru, minmay etc not interacting with the story but just there in the background for fun (for fans to spot them :p)

speaking of which, i am enjoying the tributes to the past series, but i hope sometime soon that they will move on with their own story line and not be limited by paying tributes. (actually ep 5 didn't have much huh? which is good imo)

hehe. since hikaru minmay and the rest of the original macross characters are currently still MIA, if ever they have a cameo non-plot appearance, then that would have to mean that they also cloned themselves before leaving. then again, a clone of minmei running around without anyone giving her any attention at all is certainly hard to imagine. haha.

alto: "hey, who's that? she looks familiar..."

klan klein: "oh her? that's just a clone of minmei. let's get back to watching sheryl write a song on those panties." :p

seriously, characters that important should not just have a cameo appearance out of pure fan service. that would make the current series more of a joke than a serious addition to the macross universe.

but then again, the owner of the video arcade did make a cameo. i wonder how he's still alive. hahaha. :p

Edited by dreamweaver13

if we're going to say that ranka is "loli" then Mao should also count. They both wear sundresses, which are apparantly scandalous now, and we've seen both in a swimsuit, also scandalous. I seem to recall that we even got a cleavage shot of Mao, which we haven't had of ranka, which makes mao positively promiscuous in comparison. And don't forget her "girls gone wild" older sister all prancing around naked.

Yeah as I said before, I think the whole fan service aspect is being blown out of proportion - it can get silly, but mostly it's just funny. And I mean seriously Frontier is clearly on the lower end of this kind of stuff - the latest Code Geass probably had more fan in its 20 mn than Frontier in all its episodes thus far.

-Sergorn

Actually Zero had better animation than Frontier. And the dogfights were pretty spectacular & well executed. And remember the spirals...

OAVs have bigger budgets/episode than TV, hence why M0 looks better.

We have yet to see any Ranka fan service, unless you count her bikini in Miss Macross.

...or the fact that the camera always seems to enter her room just as she's putting on a shirt...

But yeah, I don't understand why people are getting uptight about this. It's all pretty tame, especially for a "Super Dimension" series.

(Erm, "Super Dimension Legend Rall" is an official part of the "Super Dimension" series...isn't it...?)

One bit from this episode I'm curious about; when Sheryl tells Alto that they don't have any Zentraedi on Galaxy, and she's only met Miclones on other ships..... what's the deal with that? Why no Zentraedi at all on Macross Galaxy (it seems sort of hard to imagine)?

i dunno, but macross galaxy certainly sounds like a weird place. no zentradi, no domed city ship with earth like landscapes, electronic implants that are illegal on frontier are extremely commonplace. sheryl made it sound like quite a dreary and artificial place.

One bit from this episode I'm curious about; when Sheryl tells Alto that they don't have any Zentraedi on Galaxy, and she's only met Miclones on other ships..... what's the deal with that? Why no Zentraedi at all on Macross Galaxy (it seems sort of hard to imagine)?

It's not so hard to imagine...I don't recall seeing any full-sized Zentradi in the Macross 7 Fleet, for example. Or on Eden.

...or the fact that the camera always seems to enter her room just as she's putting on a shirt...

But yeah, I don't understand why people are getting uptight about this. It's all pretty tame, especially for a "Super Dimension" series.

(Erm, "Super Dimension Legend Rall" is an official part of the "Super Dimension" series...isn't it...?)

They just have no idea what they're talking about. MF has about the same level of fanservice as gundam 00 and way less than a show like BSG. And it's NO comparison compared to actual loli anime like Love Hina or the current kanokon.

i dunno, but macross galaxy certainly sounds like a weird place. no zentradi, no domed city ship with earth like landscapes, electronic implants that are illegal on frontier are extremely commonplace. sheryl made it sound like quite a dreary and artificial place.

Don't forget, according to the intro of the Deculture Edition there are a LOT of different fleets. And some of the subtitles in the Shinsen translation of one of the episodes does suggest a level of diversity with the fleets. Some are commercial affairs and others are government run.

Some fleets are probably more "military" than others as well.

One interesting question. I wonder how these colony ships are constructed. They are certainly massive and would be a major undertaking of engineering, even with the assistance of Zentradi technology and manpower. I guess that the captured Zentradi factory-satellite could be

Also, since most of the Earths population was wiped out in Space War One, I wonder what percentage of humanity would now be clones or descendants of clones, since the species seems to be spreading so drastically.

Taksraven

speaking of implants, Sheryl's manager Grace has the ability to record what she sees?! :wacko:

but i'm not too sure about how Grace managed to find Sheryl? can anyone explain? :huh:

It's not so hard to imagine...I don't recall seeing any full-sized Zentradi in the Macross 7 Fleet, for example. Or on Eden.

There were a couple on Macross 7, Exedol being the most obvious; but I don't know if broccoli head counts as much more than a special case. In the episode where they shoot 'Minmay Story' there are a couple of full sized Zentradi who were dressed up as Bretai and Kamjin taking part in the filming. Again, this may have been a special case just for the film. However, the timeline does state that giants are banned from Earth as of 2030; how far into the colonies that extends is anyone's guess.

It may be that only a few fleets allow them, or mabe it's just that the larger ships like the frontier islands are the only ones with the capacity for them? Every Zentradi under the age of 50 has been born naturally into human culture, so the integration problems that existed in the past probably aren't an issue.

My favorite moment was a scene from the mall that touched me kind of personally.

Alto: Why do people sing or want to fly? Even to the extent of going into space?

Sheryl: Isn't it obvious? Like we could do anything else.

Alto: Is that right...I fly because I'm meant to.

I could really relate to Alto here, moreso than normal, and in that instant, felt a connection to Sheryl. It's like "Here's a chick that gets it. That understands my passion, and has one of her own." For that fundamental understanding of what makes a person tick, I don't think their could be a better pairing then Alto and Sheryl. With Ranka it would simply be a superficial need to nurture and protect.

Yeah that's one of the main reasons why I prefer the Sheryl and Alto pairing, I think their connection and bond has a better basis than Alto and Ranka. There are very similar people in a lot of ways Sheryl and Alto.

It's also pretty tame compared to Kawamori's last tv series in Aquarion, orgasming every episode when the mechas form Aquarion anyone?