Macross Frontier and Fansubs

Duke Togo

i dunno if its ok to ask..

...but...

where d'you guys get your episodes?

which fansubber is better?

Look at the first post of the episode discussion threads...that will tell you where you can download them.

As for which is best, a lot of it depends on what your computer can handle, whether you want to burn them to a DVD, and other factors like that.

Shinsen is well-regarded, but they've been taking a break from the series (they got up to episode 11). GG also seems to be liked for the rest of the series so far.

Look at the first post of the episode discussion threads...that will tell you where you can download them.

As for which is best, a lot of it depends on what your computer can handle, whether you want to burn them to a DVD, and other factors like that.

Shinsen is well-regarded, but they've been taking a break from the series (they got up to episode 11). GG also seems to be liked for the rest of the series so far.

yeap, ive been with shinsen but they did stop it at ep.11..

thnaks! ;]

Thank you guys for recommending aegisub. Couldn't wait any longer for Lunar specially since ep21 raw should be out in a few hours.

Used the gg .ass of ep20 along with the 704x390 Shinsen raw.avi

Had to do a bit of time shifting at the start and after the eye-catch but it was easy enough with aegisub.

Bring on 21 :D

Wow, GG, thanks for that AWFUL MKV file once again. I can't even watch it because of the terrible lag and freezing that happened almost every few minutes. If you're going to sub something DO IT IN A FILE FORMAT THAT EVERYONE CAN WATCH OR DON'T DO IT AT ALL!! This is ridiculous.

I guess you don't try to adjust the ass file and play it with a raw???

I tried, complete and utter failure as it looks weird and doesn't line up with what's going on. I give up on MKVs. If a group can't release an easy AVI like many others do, then I won't watch what they put out. -_-

What can I say

adjust the ass file works for me, but I don't do it this time becuase I'm waiting that some friend jumps on my msn looking for help in a spanish translation xD

KMPlayer works fine on the video, but now my problem are the subs. Looks like the software took all the CPU to render Audio & video but the subs ends out timing and a little out screen

Looking into the config now

Wow, GG, thanks for that AWFUL MKV file once again. I can't even watch it because of the terrible lag and freezing that happened almost every few minutes. If you're going to sub something DO IT IN A FILE FORMAT THAT EVERYONE CAN WATCH OR DON'T DO IT AT ALL!! This is ridiculous.

You know Misa, just an observation but this perpetual whining about fansubbers and their failure to deliver, for you, at pro-bono rates, is not likely endearing them to your cause. <_<

You know Misa, just an observation but this perpetual whining about fansubbers and their failure to deliver, for you, at pro-bono rates, is not likely endearing them to your cause. <_<

Then please, allow me...

To the fansubbers: I think I can speak for everyone at Macrossworld in saying that we truly appreciate the work you do. It's work that many of us simply couldn't do ourselves, and it makes enjoying our favorite shows much easier.

So thank you.

There are also those of us who have a difficult time with h.264, and would prefer that other options were also available. Lunar releases two versions of each MacF episode, one in h.264, and one in XviD, and I thank them kindly for it. Central Anime also does it with their Legend of the Galactic Heroes fansubs.

I'd love to enjoy EVERYONE'S hard work on Macross Frontier, but currently, my options are limited. So please think about it. Thanks again.

I haven't been following this very closely, but from what I gather, GG has a policy that they only want to release a really high quality file, and the other subs usually arrive a bit later. I don't think beggars can be choosers in this regard (after all, you could just wait for Lunar to release a sub you find acceptable), and since this is apparently part of GG's "branding," if you will, I don't think they're going to change their minds just to satisfy complaints. They want to put out the highest quality release they can, not necessarily the easiest to view. It's part of the ethos that drives volunteer groups like this.

If you really want a solution to this, it's probably to have a third party take the GG-released MKV file, re-encode it with a more lenient codec/resolution, and then re-distribute that (probably as a torrent). As long as you give credit and don't try to pass it off as a real GG release, that would probably be OK. And it's something one suitably-dedicated person could do, not a whole fansub group.

There's something a bit ironic about this, of course, in that a lot of people here probably get their fansubs via BitTorrent. And yet most people I know would find BitTorrent horribly mysterious, and complain loudly that they want a direct download option (nay, that it was their right not to have to use BitTorrent). Ultimately, we're pretty privileged that fansub groups and the modern Internet allow at least a select few of us (among anime fans overall) to follow series like Macross Frontier almost as they air. Waiting a few extra days for a Lunar release, if GG really gives you that much indigestion, isn't that big a deal, in the big picture.

I understand that people WANT to have the best quality, even though I don't know why they HAVE to. But functionality is more important that quality. If it's ultra high quality but not viewable, then it doesn't matter WHAT the quality is. I don't want to spend hours on end trying to tweak my PC to watch an episode of something when if it had been released in a more regular format, I wouldn't have had any trouble. That's all I'm saying, I have nothing against the fansubbers and love the job they are doing. I'm just saying there are those of us out here who cannot enjoy your works!! :(

I understand that people WANT to have the best quality, even though I don't know why they HAVE to. But functionality is more important that quality. If it's ultra high quality but not viewable, then it doesn't matter WHAT the quality is. I don't want to spend hours on end trying to tweak my PC to watch an episode of something when if it had been released in a more regular format, I wouldn't have had any trouble. That's all I'm saying, I have nothing against the fansubbers and love the job they are doing. I'm just saying there are those of us out here who cannot enjoy your works!! :(

To lazy to look for it, but what's your specs anyway?

Currently I have the following:

P4 2.6 GHZ with HT

1GB DDR400 (2x512MB)

20GB IDE HDD (5,400 rpm) + 80GB IDE HDD (7,200 rpm)

Windows XP + Storm Codec 7.01.19

With the setup above I have no problem playing gg's subs. I also played gg's subs with the following:

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2140 (1.6Ghz)

2GB DDR400 (2x1GB)

160GB IDE HDD

Windows XP + Storm Codec 6.x.x

There were no problems as well with this setup.

Edited by grss1982

To lazy to look for it, but what's your specs anyway?

Currently I have the following:

P4 2.6 GHZ with HT

1GB DDR400 (2x512MB)

20GB IDE HDD (5,400 rpm) + 80GB IDE HDD (7,200 rpm)

Windows XP + Storm Codec 7.01.19

With the setup above I have no problem playing gg's subs. I also played gg's subs with the following:

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2140 (1.6Ghz)

2GB DDR400 (2x1GB)

160GB IDE HDD

Windows XP + Storm Codec 6.x.x

There were no problems as well with this setup.

Hmmm... ok, well I have...

AMD Athlon 2100+ (1.7GHz)

1GB DDR400 (2x512MB)

160GB IDE HDD(7200 rpm)

Windows XP + CCCP codec

I just installed the CCCP codec and haven't had a chance to try it yet but I'll try it shortly. Thanks :)

I tried many codecs and found that the CCCP+Media Player Classic blew all the others away in playback performance. It also plays back more files than anything else--there are a few that it doesn't like, but they are rare, and always old.

Really, just do something about it if you want to watch it ahead of your time. There are numerous tools out there, especially for Windows, that will allow you to extract the video/audio/subtitle streams and convert them into something more amenable. Some tools that come to mind are mkvtoolnix/mkvextract, VirtualDub (w/ subtitler), avc2avi, etc.

Encoding in another format is extra time and CPU processing far greater than that needed to play the files and no one is required to give it out for free. Fans aren't entitled to having every single fansubber cater to their every need. Anyway, it's a shoddy job, but here you go: Moved to episode thread...

I tried, complete and utter failure as it looks weird and doesn't line up with what's going on. I give up on MKVs. If a group can't release an easy AVI like many others do, then I won't watch what they put out.

Part of the reason in that you need to adjust the subs for GG is that GG normally time their subs against a non-MBS raw (CBC or TBS raw). The timings are a bit different on a different airing so you have to adjust it. Adjusting the sub script for a different raw probably ain't your thing. Downloading the MKV, only to spend hours re-encoding it to a more suitable size and format probably isn't going to cut it for you even though that's probably your best solution.

David's suggestion for using Media Player Classic is probably the best, or wait for Lunar. Personally, I hate MKVs. I still prefer AVIs/MP4s (i.e. hard subs) myself, but ever since I switched to watching MKVs with MPC, I have not had any major problems or issues.

Edit: Try some of the tricks at Animesuki's Playback Forum. There are a few threads about MKV playback lagging and they do offer some alternatives on codecs.

BTW, is it just me, but is the gg's tracker is down? My uTorrent shows that HTTP Error 500, and I can't access the tracker's website, even using a proxy site.

Dunno about their tracker, but the release I downloaded from them strangely doesn't seem to have any subs.

Yeah, me too.

BTW, checked with AnimeSuki, and confirmed that the tracker is indeed down for the moment.

Actually, it does have subs, but for some reason it they wont appear in KMPlayer but will work in Media Player Classic. Kinda annoying since it lags like hell in MPC but not in KMP! Anyone have any idea on how to fix this?

Edited by d3v

Figured it out, simply hace to use CCCP as the external sub module per Mellow Yellow's instructions.

You can enable the external subs by right clicking on the player screen, then going Options>Preferences>Subtitle Processing>Multi-Sub/etc>Advanced tab> Then under the External Subtitle Module section, check the 'Enable' box and 'Render in real time' box. There might be some slight sub lag during playback, but it's a hell of alot better than MPC and VLC.

In addition to that, I checked the box that says "Keep the relative position of subtitles within video frame."

Hmmm... ok, well I have...

AMD Athlon 2100+ (1.7GHz)

1GB DDR400 (2x512MB)

160GB IDE HDD(7200 rpm)

Windows XP + CCCP codec

I just installed the CCCP codec and haven't had a chance to try it yet but I'll try it shortly. Thanks :)

BTW, I did try CCCP as well on those setups I mentioned in my previous post, and they seem to work for playing back gg's releases. However, ultimately I went with Storm Codec, beacuase of its ability to play Real Media files. :)

Hope it works okay for you. :)

AH, back online now with a faster rig. Sure enough, the mkvs are working nicely now.

Question though:

Is it possible to go in and edit the sub file a bit? I wholly appreciate GG's work, but the end of Episode 20 just isn't sitting well for me. Klan/Michel's final confession of a deep, long-felt liking of eachother... Maybe it's not an exact translation, but I think throwing the word "love" in there would've made it flow a bit better...

Hurray?

I need to decide which sub I should keep, my MF folder is getting fat with multiple RAW and subs. ^_^

I'm so glad Shinsen Subs is back. :D I believe they are the best quality .avi files. I am not even keeping anything but the Shensen Subs and the highest resolution RAWs.

I haven't watched Macross F, but will when the show is completely finished. I was stockpiling Shinsen's b/c I got the consensus that they had the best translation, but switched to lunar when they went on hiatus.

Did Shinsen change translators? If so, how are the translations now vs lunar?

Edited by OptimusX