1:72 Hasegawa VF-0D WIP

Rockhound

Model update:

I painted the part that attaches to the back of the legs a dark gray, as well as the folding spaces behind the knees. I then hit the metal sections (the two spaces on the back thruster thingy- techincal term, the burner nozzles, parts in the intake that fold down during transformation, and the turbine/fan parts.) I also painted the gunpod gunmetal gray (seemed like a good choice till my Alclad II Steel gets here.) I also did a major assemblies dryfit to see how it all went together.

post-7656-1209804260_thumb.gifpost-7656-1209804252_thumb.gif

post-7656-1209804243_thumb.gif

So far everything has an ultra-gloss clear coat on it, ready for panel-lining and decalling. I'm kind of hesitant to do the panel-lining, only because of my somewhat unsuccessful attempts on my last two models. Since it's a laquer coat, low-odor oil thinners tend to strip the paint underneath them. I read in one of the earlier posts that you should use an opposite medium when it comes to panel-lining like water and pastels for laquer or enamel coats, and thinner/oils for arcylic coats (or somehting along those lines.) It wouldn't be too much of an issue if it was a white or off-white model, but it will really stand out with that blue paint. I heard about using water, black pastels, and some kind of detergent but I have NO idea how to mix it and/or use it. Any tips?

Anyways, now I just got to wait for the coats to cure then attach them to their respective assemblies. Man, I hate waiting. I got three other models I gotta do, not including the two in the mail.

Panel-lining was finished. I wasn't too happy with some parts. It seemed I sprayed way too much gloss cat and now the lines kind of got flatten out. However, the parts I left alone, mainly the wings, canards, and stabs came out great. My main problems were with the legs.

Here's a shot of the good lining. (I did't take any bad photos, my ego wouldn't let me.)

post-7656-1209880095_thumb.gif

Disclamer! I actually finished the lining and decalling as I wrote this update, but not the protective coat.

Decals are done, just waiting on the white strip on the airbrake to soften up some more so I can poke holes in it.

post-7656-1209880239_thumb.gifpost-7656-1209880247_thumb.gif

post-7656-1209880274_thumb.gifpost-7656-1209880290_thumb.gif

I still need to clean up some wash on the legs, but all-in-all it's just waiting on the semi-gloss coat, holes in the airbrake, the canopy, and the pilots.

Finished! Here are the pics.

post-7656-1209978072_thumb.gifpost-7656-1209978082_thumb.gif

post-7656-1209978091_thumb.gifpost-7656-1209978098_thumb.gif

post-7656-1209978108_thumb.gifpost-7656-1209978117_thumb.gif

post-7656-1209978126_thumb.gif

Some lessons:

1. Never try to mix enamel and acrylics when having to paint in layers. Use one or the other. I advise acrylic easier to use, easier to clean-up.

2. Be patient! There's a reason why good models take 3 weeks to a month or so. I tried to crank this out as fast as I could, and it shows.

3. Be sure you know exactly what you're doing when it comes to masking! Make sure you cover everything you need to avoid overspray.

4. Panel-lining is easy... if you know how. Make sure you use an opposing medium when lining: acrylic coat: black or gray oil paint and mineral spirits (not low-odor thinner for oil!), laquer coats: pastels, water, detergent (I still don't know how to do it.)

5. Let everything have time to dry!

My problems were mainly fro the speed of building this kit, not spending enough time to throughly think ahead, not researching enough on pre-shading and panel-lining, and mixing paint mediums. Well, lesson learned and I'll do better on my next project once finals are done this week.

Till next time!

If you can't be naturally outstanding, be aggressively average.

Rockhound

Thanks for all the awesome replies guys! Blue is a tough color to use it seems, especially when you're having to contrast it with color such as white or off-white.

I added an in-flight stand I made out of a heavy coat hangar. Because of the size f the kit, it needed to be sturdier. Plus, since I made it wheels up, it just needed to fly!

post-7656-1210170788_thumb.gifpost-7656-1210170799_thumb.gif

post-7656-1210170810_thumb.gifpost-7656-1210170820_thumb.gif

post-7656-1210170843_thumb.gif

Last but not least, the final size comparison to the VF-1S.

post-7656-1210170853_thumb.gif

See you guys after finals!

Rockhound