Transformers Super Thread 7

According to the product description for Grimlock, he will have a waiter mode (i.e. apron plus tray) to homage this scene from S3 episode "Madman's Paradise". He will also have a brainwave transporter, used in the episode "Grimock's New Brain".

The right fist will have an LED powered by 3x LR44 batteries which will light up his sword and blaster. The dino and bot mode eyes can switch between G1 toy colour (red) and G1 cartoon colour (blue).

HAHAHAH THAT's SICK! :D :D :D Eyes can glow!

I have mixed feelings about MP Grimlock. I understand they are going for the original design look, which I don't neccessarily mind......I am a dinosaur nut and am kind of put off by the old school rendition of a Tyranosaur ie standing uprite with the tail dragging on the ground.

Chris

I have mixed feelings about MP Grimlock. I understand they are going for the original design look, which I don't neccessarily mind......I am a dinosaur nut and am kind of put off by the old school rendition of a Tyranosaur ie standing uprite with the tail dragging on the ground.

Chris

I'm quite sure you can easily position it to be in the position you're comfortable with, where it slouches with tail up in the air. The joints should allow it.

Untitled-1.jpg

ヘンケイ!トランスフォーマー C-17 Hot Rod... I thought his name was Hot Shot? Or is that what western people named him as?

Well, from the little image scan, it looks a lot better than the current Hasbro Armada Hot Shot I have sitting around.

Still haven't got me Henkei Starscream (although I opt for Skywarp X3)

Who or what is Petrorabbit? Sorry, i never watched enough episodes as a kid to remember. Not that i care but it's interesting coz Grim is cool.

In the original 80s movie Kupp was talking about one of his older adventures and mentioned Petrorabbits, which prompted Grimlock in his childlike mind to ask what they were and shtuff. That's were in comes from.

Untitled-1.jpg

ヘンケイ!トランスフォーマー C-17 Hot Rod... I thought his name was Hot Shot? Or is that what western people named him as?

Well, from the little image scan, it looks a lot better than the current Hasbro Armada Hot Shot I have sitting around.

It's confusing, but Hot Rod is Hot Rodimus in Japan, and Hot Shot is Hot Rod.

My City Commander set arrived today.

CIMG1607-1.jpg

It looks FANTASTIC. In person, it's a very impressive display piece. Plastic quality is very high. Not quite Hasbro quality, but damn close. It's SOLID, which was my chief worry. If it weren't, then the plastic quality might play an issue. As is, it's thick enough that I don't foresee any problems. I had a little bit of trouble getting the leg armor to clip into place, and some of the plastic parts there are a little thinner than elsewhere, so I recommend being careful with it there because of the amount of stress you might have to use to get the leg to clip in.

The head joint was pretty tight, and at first I wasn't entirely convinced he could look up and down, but now that I've got it started so to speak, it has a good range of movement. Arm movement is a little restricted due to the nature of the upper and lower arm armor. Most of the leg movement is left pretty much intact, except that you can't put the legs foward into a sitting pose due to the lower torso armor getting in the way(you can see this in the one pic).

I can't get either of the normal Magnus guns to clip into their positions behind the upper arm armor. Neither will hold position. BUT, that peg hole is still available on the back of Magnus to peg the truck top gun to like in normal mode, although it doesn't sit as flush. The real good news is that the fists on the armor rotate and more importantly can hold *either* of the normal Magnus guns. I didn't care much for the look of the normal Magnus guns looking like smokestacks behind the upper arm armor anyway.

1607.jpg

Onto the BFG...... As I feared, it's much too heavy. This is a catch-22. It's heavy because it's thankfully a solid piece, but because it's solid with good QC, it's too heavy for the arm to support. My Magnus arm wasn't loose per se, but even if I tightened it up, the weight of the BFG will eventually be too much for it. I also so far can't find any other peg holes or pegs on it to possibly peg it to the back or elsewhere on Magnus. It's either the BFG or it's half of a truck trailer. There's no useful mid-transformation to make it into something else. This is the bad news. The good news is that, I suspect by design, the armor kneecaps clip solidly into place and provide a rest for the BFG so you can at least have Magnus aim the gun forward(as seen in pic above). Folding the BFG in half so it's in its alternate cannon mode does alleviate the weight issues somewhat, but doesn't look as good, imo.

The instructions are really nice, and is something I'd like to see more of. It's an instruction sheet crossed with a comic book, and is pulled off pretty well. It's probably not a good idea for kids, but for us collectors, this is right up our alley.

I'm pretty happy with it. It's not a G1 movie Magnus; that title's still held by Titanium Magnus, imo. But it's without a doubt a proper Classics Ultra Magnus.

I still think they could have designed a trailer WITHOUT the BFG. I mean, Magnus' trailer is supposed to be an OPEN car carrier. It can be incredibly hollow/spindly--see the RiD version, which IMHO is the best Magnus trailer, and most realistic. And they could have just included a normal gun like that. But they made a pretty solid trailer, which is both un-Magnus-y and makes half of it transform into giant gun kibble.

I still think they could have designed a trailer WITHOUT the BFG. I mean, Magnus' trailer is supposed to be an OPEN car carrier. It can be incredibly hollow/spindly--see the RiD version, which IMHO is the best Magnus trailer, and most realistic. And they could have just included a normal gun like that. But they made a pretty solid trailer, which is both un-Magnus-y and makes half of it transform into giant gun kibble.

This is pretty much how I feel about it too. The armor does look nice, though.

Yeah, I love Titanium Ultra Magnus, a fantastic mold!!

Titanium Magnus seems to get slammed alot on other TF boards. I must have a good one because mine's not loose at all. I just really like the general aesthetics. It's the closest thing to a transforming G1 toon replica as we're likely to see, and I really like that it does it at a deluxe scale with a relative amount of good articulation far beyond what the G1 toy had. I love my little G1 movie display, and Titanium Magnus is a big part of why I like it.

CIMG1343.jpg

Classics deluxe Cyclonus, Classics Legends Wheelie, and Impossible Toys' Exo-suit Spike are going to be the icing on the cake! I just wish Classics Target Springer wasn't so big.

Considering it's essentially a custom(and a cheap one when you take that and the good QC into account) the City Commander upgrade kit was definitely worth it. Yeah, the BFG's the weak point, but you really need to see this in person. It takes a Voyager class figure and easily turns it into a Leader class one, and that's without considering the BFG. The way the trailer transforms, the top part is the arm and chest armor, the bottom part the BFG, which is hollow to allow space for the back of the truck. One clever fan did find a decent car trailer mode for the set here, which looks pretty cool, but does so by pulling the top part off the trailer. There's lots of pictures showing some of the other features of the set at that link too. Apparently someone figured out that the BFG can clip to the back, but I can't seem to get mine to do so, and I don't want to force it.

Edit: Eh, I found out how the BFG clips. You have to trim some plastic away from the one tab on the back of Magnus.

Edited by Alpha OTS

Classics deluxe Cyclonus, Classics Legends Wheelie, and Impossible Toys' Exo-suit Spike are going to be the icing on the cake! I just wish Classics Target Springer wasn't so big.

FYI: You do know that Classics Target exclusive Springer is a repaint of TF Cybertron Evac, right? He's not a triple changer ...

Evac Gallery at Seibertron.com:

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/toy...rtron/evac/691/

FYI: You do know that Classics Target exclusive Springer is a repaint of TF Cybertron Evac, right? He's not a triple changer ...

Evac Gallery at Seibertron.com:

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/toy...rtron/evac/691/

I knew it was Evac, but I never paid attention to the mold before until they painted it green and called it Springer. Up until that point I had no idea how large it was. The deco's ok, and if I had to have only one alt mode for him, I would rather a helicopter. But the size thing, he's just too big, especially when you want him to fit in with a bunch of deluxe scale figures.

Cybertron Evac is a great mold though. I'm sure you will like it. Both modes are great, neat gimmicks with the blades and winch, and a complex, but not too difficult transformation.

I don't doubt that it is a great mold. The problem is that Classics Galvatron only goes up to his waist. :(

The latest Universe figures finally hit the Wally World here. I've had the chance to open only Ironhide. For alt mode, my first impression was that it felt really flimsy and that the angular gaps are really garish, but I guess that's the trade off for the unique transformation. Bot mode is sweet; very G1-ish and very articulate...but why is the face blue? :blink: I dig the sculpt, but I think I'll snag the Henkei version for a definitive Classics Ironhide.

The latest Universe figures finally hit the Wally World here. I've had the chance to open only Ironhide. For alt mode, my first impression was that it felt really flimsy and that the angular gaps are really garish, but I guess that's the trade off for the unique transformation. Bot mode is sweet; very G1-ish and very articulate...but why is the face blue? :blink: I dig the sculpt, but I think I'll snag the Henkei version for a definitive Classics Ironhide.

Hasbro was asked this by a member of the IDW Forums.

From: http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.p...91d8467a21ffefa

4.) Why the baby blue for Universe 2.0 Ironhide's face? It was originally silver, which was correct. It changed from proto to production to baby-blue. Ironically Robot Heroes Ironhide came out at the same time, he had the correct silver face. Why the difference?

4) It's supposed to be silver. When I last saw the final paint on the figure it was silver. But somehow in the development process, someone somewhere picked up a blue brush instead of the silver one. We are currently making a "running change" on the face so future Ironhides will be correct.

Hasbro was asked this by a member of the IDW Forums.

From: http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.p...91d8467a21ffefa

Ahhh, good to know. He's shortpacked now as it is so it'll be easy to ignore for now. But how will we know if the change has been done on a future release? I hope the card back will be different.

Okay, I mentioned before that the Takara Henkei Thundercracker wasn't really any better of a deal in my mind than the Botcon one, and that it was my intention to paint my own. I managed to snag an extra Acid Storm, and I started painting him this weekend. Bear with me here, guys... aside from doing little touch-ups with a black Testors paint marker and a Gundam model I painted (which looks awful, BTW), I don't have any experience painting toys, so we're not going to get anything of Jin Saotome quality. Matter of fact, all I've done so far is to paint Acid Storm blue. In a few spots, the blue paint bled through the masking tape I was using on the parts I didn't want painted, so I did have to touch those up, but it left the texture a little uneven.

post-187-1224435776_thumb.jpg

post-187-1224435801_thumb.jpg

Okay, I mentioned before that the Takara Henkei Thundercracker wasn't really any better of a deal in my mind than the Botcon one, and that it was my intention to paint my own. I managed to snag an extra Acid Storm, and I started painting him this weekend.

My first thought was "When do you apply the stickers?". So you've got the G1 look down. :)

Seriously, that's pretty cool. And shiny!

If it doesn't come out right... chalk it up as practice and grab another one to try again?

If they do another with the Ramjet mold, I'll probably snag one and abuse it into a Thrust. No VTOL wings, but... whatever.

Or more likely I'll grab one and talk about making a Thrust, but never actually DO it.

Bought Galvatron. This is really what Megatron should have been imo instead of a stupid gun.

The detailing on this thing is as good as the movie line. The tank looks different on either side of it. The figure looks bulky and large in proportion to the head to indicate he is large and tough physically and above average in strength. (compare this to something like brawl who has skinny arms, or jetfire who looks wrong with the big helmet on)

Articulation is good with many joints but being all armored up there is problems with piece bumping into each other if you try to get the limbs into wide angles.

Colour choice is bad especially with the safety orange they used. I would have preferred they used that blue paint from the movie line that landmine got over this. Apart from that I dig the grey.

Face sculpt looks mean mean mean. Eyes are deep-set to give a dramatic look to him when you see the light piping project the light coming out of his eyes from under his helmet. It just seems almost demonic like a possessed robot which is fury unleashed. Something to be scared of when meeting him. (and he is kinda insane in the toon so it totally fits his character: maybe he is super pissed at starscream at this moment and can't seem to get rid of him!)

Transformation complexity, seems pretty confusing at first because of all the little parts rotating around but once you do it slowly and carefully to see which side should be facing which way it isn't a big hassle.

Now I've seen the complaints about this but none of those QC issues are on mine so I'm glad I bought this. (lots keep saying their limbs pop-off easily)

What about the third mode?

There is more than three from what I've seen:

1. tank

1.5 tanks with legs

2. robot

3. siege tank (two halfs spread outward)

4. cannon

I think this guy is under-rated. Good robot mode. Very detailed tank mode. Complex transformation compared to other toys. Only problem I had on mine were the backpack pieces which don't lock as tightly as I'd like into the pegs.

I like this toy for the same reason I like classic grimlock. Good amount of detail, good overall look in BOTH modes. Both have interesting transformations too. Both have good articulation. (grimlocks tail and dino legs! Galvatron's double jointed arms and swivel joints on legs, outward movement thighs, bendy knees, and rotating ankles to keep them flat when doing spread stances) Both have decent enough likenesses to their G1 forms and colour.

Would have been good if they used gold paint on the parts that are right orange. This use of bright neon colours is why people make fun of TF toys with too much fluro! Use shiny paint instead tightasses.

Grimlock would have benefitted from that really shiny metallic look. Perhaps Galvatron would have benefited with a bit of weathering like they did on some parts of grimlock.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Would have been good if they used gold paint on the parts that are bright orange. This use of bright neon colours is why people make fun of TF toys with too much fluro! Use shiny paint instead tightasses. .

Nah, Hasbro's just stupid. Some of the parts are actually molded in the same G1-colored sparkly amber-orange as the cannon, but PAINTED flourescent orange at extra cost...

Also they did something really weird with prowl:

his doors are really translucent but painted over instead of just using white plastic like the other parts of his body.

And no rear view mirrors on the car. :( Even bumblebee had them. But they did put a nice bright orange autobot logo on him. Would have preferred red autobot symbol.

Here's what I think hasbro should do from now on:

Only have the autobot and decepticon symbol visible in robot mode (non-disguise mode)

The reason I say this is because I like the idea that they are trying to hide and it's only obvious what group of robot they are once in robot mode.

Galvatron for example has no symbol shown in tank mode. You'll only know right at the last second that a decepticon has snuck up on you and is about to blast you in the face. :p (now that they've taken away the rub symbol which is invisible unless you reveal what side they are by rubbing it)

Random Autobot of no significance: "oh that's nice of them! A bunch of experimental human tanks are coming to offer support for us."

Amidst the crowd of tanks: boom! "die autobots!" *Sudden transformation*

Random Autobot: "argh forgot some of these machines are disguised bad guys. I can't just blow them all up and risk killing innocent people in the real ones." *Falls over and dies after being shot in the head as Galvatron transforms back into a tank again*

*lots of death and confusion over what side the tanks are on as they blow each other up trying to catch the bad guy.*

Worse than a minmay culture shock!

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

tfw2005.com has pictures of Animated Samurai Prowl, Waspinator, Wreck-Gar, and some repaint of Lugnut.

The new molds look amazing. I've pretty much stopped collecting toys outside of the Animated line.