Transformers Super Thread 7

If anything, the people who don't have the set WON'T BLOODY SHUT UP ABOUT IT.

Even if I had the set, I could absolutely see how this new repaint could be seen as an insult. Sorry. What's next? "Gee guys, we've decided NOT to repaint Classics Sunstreaker into Sideswipe afterall. Well, not for mass market anyway. Instead, here's a nice homage to GoBot Sideswipe! We'll call him, umm, BlueSunwipe! For those of you who want the red Sideswipe, sorry! We simply can't have that many Sunstreaker repaints clogging the pegs at one time. But look forward to next year's BotCon, where you can have him for the low, low price of $350!"

http://www.shortpacked.com/d/20080215.html (personally, as G1 Thundercracker is my all-time fave TF, I feel similar)

PS to FFN: But what about all of us who wanted just our all-time personal fave seeker? Thrust and Dirge would be neat, but I'm not spending 300 bucks for them. I'd pay a decent chunk of change for a Classics Thundercracker--but nobody split up sets AFAIK, and even if they did, the price is still insane just for one. No matter how much you may like a character/toy, it's simply too dear a price to pay. I'd rather have a valk (or TWO) instead of paying 10x more than what the same toy cost in a different color.

PPS--I will be that guy in the comic, bitching about Classic Thundercracker's non-availability forever. :)

Dude, I have yet to see Botcon set owners lord their seekers over the others.

Then again, if you guys *really* wanted three largely identical toy planes, you could have saved up for the Botcon set. That's what other people went to the trouble of doing.

:unsure:

Thundercracker is my favourite seeker colour scheme, but since I grew up with the cartoon where they never gave him a personality, he isn't much of a character to me. Either way, I'll live without him.

I hope you won't be like him. The goateed guy character is kind of a loser and is used as a stand-in for some of the dumbest TF fans :p

:unsure:
I don't own the set, btw. Edited by Fit For Natalie

PS to FFN: But what about all of us who wanted just our all-time personal fave seeker? Thrust and Dirge would be neat, but I'm not spending 300 bucks for them. I'd pay a decent chunk of change for a Classics Thundercracker--but nobody split up sets AFAIK, and even if they did, the price is still insane just for one. No matter how much you may like a character/toy, it's simply too dear a price to pay. I'd rather have a valk (or TWO) instead of paying 10x more than what the same toy cost in a different color.

What about those of us who waited to see who the whole set included and then waited a week before deciding to commit to a purchase only to find the sets were sold out?

Defend the Botcon Seekers, or bitch about them. Doesn't matter. Regardless of either, it's not an ideal situation. I'll not be insulting a McDonald's employee over it though. I'm over it. :)

Hey guys.

I was wondering if an exception could be made for the whole 'post-all-TF-topics-here' thing, so that a thread could be set up to discuss the one character/toy/etc which has the closest connection to Macross - the various takes on Jetfire in various G1 series?

From the original toy to the character as portrayed in the G1 cartoon, to the versions of Jetfire seen in the UK and US Marvel comics, as well as the character as portrayed in print by Dreamwave and IDW, and in toy form in the Titanum and Classics lines, there have been a few iterations of note - and I thought that it might be useful to talk about one or two of them.

Or, would it be better to discuss Jetfire as a character or set of toys in this thread instead?

(As it happens, I like the DW and IDW versions of the character - though he seems to have a bad habit of running into super-powered opponents these days!)

Agreed.

Even if I had the set, I could absolutely see how this new repaint could be seen as an insult. Sorry. What's next? "Gee guys, we've decided NOT to repaint Classics Sunstreaker into Sideswipe afterall. Well, not for mass market anyway. Instead, here's a nice homage to GoBot Sideswipe! We'll call him, umm, BlueSunwipe! For those of you who want the red Sideswipe, sorry! We simply can't have that many Sunstreaker repaints clogging the pegs at one time. But look forward to next year's BotCon, where you can have him for the low, low price of $350!"

This is how a lot of transformers fans, myself included, feel. I remember most of the people defending the decisions kept saying "oh its too similar to whats already out, look at the magical retail statistics that we actually don't have, but just take our word for it, it won't sell

HE WON'T SELL! NEITHER THE 2 CONEHEADS!"

Yet Hasbro, makes Star Wars and G.I. Joe figures, home of plentiful Snake Eyes, and Clone Trooper repaints, every other month. Snake Eyes alone has over 5 versions, more than 2 repaints, all in less than a year since the G.I. Joe anniversary line has hit shelves. How many Clone Trooper repaints do we have on shelves? How many Jedi Starfighters? G.I. Joe, has a harder time at retail than Star Wars and Transformers too.

What about those of us who waited to see who the whole set included and then waited a week before deciding to commit to a purchase only to find the sets were sold out?

Defend the Botcon Seekers, or bitch about them. Doesn't matter. Regardless of either, it's not an ideal situation. I'll not be insulting a McDonald's employee over it though. I'm over it. smile.gif

Agreed.

Agreed.

This is how a lot of transformers fans, myself included, feel. I remember most of the people defending the decisions kept saying "oh its too similar to whats already out, look at the magical retail statistics that we actually don't have, but just take our word for it, it won't sell

Yet Hasbro, makes Star Wars and G.I. Joe figures, home of plentiful Snake Eyes, and Clone Trooper repaints, every other month. Snake Eyes alone has over 5 versions, more than 2 repaints, all in less than a year since the G.I. Joe anniversary line has hit shelves. How many Clone Trooper repaints do we have on shelves? How many Jedi Starfighters? G.I. Joe, has a harder time at retail than Star Wars and Transformers too.

I totally concur. It's sort of weird because they're established repaints that fan always seem to ask about. I haven't been collecting most of the new Transformer lines, but if I were, I'd want all six seekers... heck, I'd even take Sunstorm despite the eyesore his color scheme is and I know nothing about his character. Frankly, if done with choice colors, people might even buy NEW repaint versions. Nearly any TF line that paid the slightest bit of homage to the G1 should not only realize that these characters are repaints that come naturally, but they could also be used as army builders if done right.

I'm still waiting for my Thundercracker MP... and would probably only spend a half hour before deciding I'd take the conehead trio at $50-100 a pop too.

But, chances are we'll get Snake-eyes in each of the six seeker color schemes before Hasbro realizes they're not the plague-ridden characters they seem to think they are. :p

Guest sh002

can someone reliable here order me the ehobby exclusive omega supreme from their website? i can't read japanese and can't complete the order. i'll provide my info and payment info. also a small fee if needed. i figure it's like a $70 difference after shipping compared to bbts for instance. thanks.

http://www.e-hobby.co.jp/cgi-bin/omc?port=...721538698000000

Edited by sh002

Agreed.

Agreed.

Because Snake Eyes is undoubtably the single most popular and marketable GI Joe ARAH character ever. Fan collectors hate seeing him in every wave or whatever because they already have their definative Snake Eyes. But really, Snake Eyes (and Duke, the other big Joe character) is largely for the benefit of traditional consumers. The same goes with Clone Troopers and the parade of heroes such as Obi-Wan, Anakin and Han Solo. Clones were very heavily marketed in AOTC, Clone Wars and ROTS, so they are quite mass-market figures that can be expected to sell to all sorts of customers.

In other words, these constant redecos and repacks are there because they are among the most popular characters their respective franchises. And in the case of Star Wars, it has a juggernaut fictional universe to back it up even for the most obscure Jedi Starfighter that appeared in Clone Wars.

Now, by comparison, except for Cybertron Thundercracker, really, Thundercracker as a product is just a blue Starscream. For Classics or Universe, he has no fiction, no significant brand-name identity and is relatively obscure. Thrust and especially Dirge are even more obscure. This could have been trouble during regular Classics, where most of the toys released where what Hasbro considered 'core' Transformers characters or easy repaints.

Now, it is likely the remaining seekers could sell well with Universe 2008 now that Starscream, Ramjet and Skywarp are out of the way, but they would have had a harder time selling during the original Classics run. I know you guys love the toyline, but it was created as a stopgap line because, oops, the Movie wasn't going to be released at the end of 2006 like they originally planned, and as such they didn't think they would be continuing the line in any significant form afterwards. This is very important to consider, because Transformers Animated was in development in 2006, and it was intended to take over from the Movie line as the main Transformers toyline.

So given Hasbro already had two mainlines planned out in 2006 when they decided Classics, its not entirely unreasonable for them to think they wouldn't sell Classics significantly again as they already had a full slate of products ready to go, and that they would have nowhere to sell the remaining seeker redecos. Now circumstances has changed, both Classics and the Movie line did better than they expected them to, and they needed a Movie-style sideline to accompany Animated. It's unfortunate that they gave permission for the convention to release these characters as exclusives, but at the time they didn't think they were going to release them themselves.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

This could have been trouble during regular Classics, where most of the toys released where what Hasbro considered 'core' Transformers characters or easy repaints.

But not all.

Ramjet, for example, had new molding. And was a minor character.

Granted it was probably part of the original Starscream/Skywarp mold in the first place, but the fact is they had new molding for a minor character, and clearly planned to do repaints of the mold in the first place.

And Ramjet was also the release that made us think the other seekers were coming.

They had a conehead mold. They had an alternate wing mold.

Evidence is that they planned for seeker repaints from day one, and not just half-assed Starscream redecos.

Now, it is likely the remaining seekers could sell well with Universe 2008 now that Starscream, Ramjet and Skywarp are out of the way, but they would have had a harder time selling during the original Classics run.

Proof, please.

Just because Hasbro's official statement was they wouldn't sell doesn't mean it's true.

Classics is probably the ONLY line I've bought into significantly. I own all of them except for Cliffjumper and the MicromastersMinicons.

Every. Single. One.

Admittedly, I PROBABLY would've skipped Ultra Magnus if he hadn't been a Skywarp bundle. More likely I would've thought harder about it, then picked him up anyways, since he'd probably have more paint apps if he was a standalone. Which isn't to say I don't like him. Just that he wasn't really a very compelling repaint and would've had trouble commanding a Voyager price tag.

I've grabbed a few movie toys, and a few more Cybertron toys, and a few Alternators(one or two of which I have some buyer's regret over). Classics is the ONLY line that I can say I liked every single toy that came out of it.

I admit this isn't a statistically valid sampling, but I choose to refer to it as a piece of anecdotal evidence.

I know you guys love the toyline, but it was created as a stopgap line because, oops, the Movie wasn't going to be released at the end of 2006 like they originally planned, and as such they didn't think they would be continuing the line in any significant form afterwards. This is very important to consider, because Transformers Animated was in development in 2006, and it was intended to take over from the Movie line as the main Transformers toyline.

This is also very important to consider: No one CARES what it was intended as.

What we care is that it was totally awesome, and apparently did fairly well as a mass-market line too since it's coming back.

We all know the history.

We're also all still peeved about the BotCon incident, because we all had a seeker we wanted. I was really looking forward to Thrust, even though I was pretty sure he'd have Classic Ramjet's wings instead of the VTOL fans.

We're even more peeved since Classics is returning, with MORE seeker repaints, and we STILL aren't getting the ones we want, because QBerting BOTCON did it!

Would we have minded if they'd shown up as sets like Skywarp did? Probably not, as long as we got our jets.

In retrospect, I really should've bought some extra Starscreams and Ramjets to repaint, but the whole teardown/paint/reassemble thing isn't something I'm comfortable with, especially since it'd be my first real attempt at doing anything like it. But on the other hand... I'd have Thrust. Maybe not with wingfans, but even if it took 6 tries I'd STILL have paid less than a BotCon set.

Edited by JB0

But not all.

Ramjet, for example, had new molding. And was a minor character.

Granted it was probably part of the original Starscream/Skywarp mold in the first place, but the fact is they had new molding for a minor character, and clearly planned to do repaints of the mold in the first place.

And Ramjet was also the release that made us think the other seekers were coming.

They had a conehead mold. They had an alternate wing mold.

Evidence is that they planned for seeker repaints from day one, and not just half-assed Starscream redecos.

That's why I said most of them (some, such as Grimlock and Cliffjumper are now appearing often enough that it's likely Hasbro consider them core TF characters.) You are right, they designed the Starscream/Ramjet tooling with at least 2-3 redecos in mind, but it is also highly likely that they found the market could not absorb the three other seekers after already selling three of them in the original run of Classics.

Proof, please.

Just because Hasbro's official statement was they wouldn't sell doesn't mean it's true.

I don't need proof from Hasbro because its simply logical. You have three plane toys that are just repaints, and two retools of the same toy, two of which are redecos of each other (I doubt Hasbro would create unique Dirge wings). The problem is Thundercracker, Dirge and Thrust were nobodies, and there was no fiction to explain what they were which would make it harder to sell several nearly identical toys. This particular Starcream had no recent mass-market fiction either, but he can sell because his name is associated with several characters. That's core character brand-name identity, like Optimus Prime, Megatron or Hot Shot (now replaced by Bumblebee). Accross several lines they're different characters, but they're also recognisable brand names.

Unlike Star Wars, there is no huge movie with massive marketing to push the other seekers like they can do with Clone Troopers. Its possible for the seekers to be sold with less competition amongst themselves on pegs *now*, but it would have been more difficult back *then*

Classics is probably the ONLY line I've bought into significantly. I own all of them except for Cliffjumper and the MicromastersMinicons.

Every. Single. One.

Admittedly, I PROBABLY would've skipped Ultra Magnus if he hadn't been a Skywarp bundle. More likely I would've thought harder about it, then picked him up anyways, since he'd probably have more paint apps if he was a standalone. Which isn't to say I don't like him. Just that he wasn't really a very compelling repaint and would've had trouble commanding a Voyager price tag.

I've grabbed a few movie toys, and a few more Cybertron toys, and a few Alternators(one or two of which I have some buyer's regret over). Classics is the ONLY line that I can say I liked every single toy that came out of it.

I admit this isn't a statistically valid sampling, but I choose to refer to it as a piece of anecdotal evidence.

Then isn't it largely irrelvant because you are not representative of the average Transformers customer? At most, you are an occassional customer who buys less product than the fans who buy stuff from every line that's released.

I'd mention anecdotal accounts of Ultra Magnus Vs Skywarp sets going on clearance for less than the cost of a single Deluxe class Classics yet evidently not shifting, but I don't know how widespread that was in the US.

Hey look, I'd like the seekers myself, all I'm saying was at the time, Hasbro had fairly reasonable... reasons to do what they did.

can someone reliable here order me the ehobby exclusive omega supreme from their website? i can't read japanese and can't complete the order. i'll provide my info and payment info. also a small fee if needed. i figure it's like a $70 difference after shipping compared to bbts for instance. thanks.

http://www.e-hobby.co.jp/cgi-bin/omc?port=...721538698000000

I think eHobby stopped taking overseas orders.

You could try contacting a member residing in Japan or email fantofan.jp and ask if they will be getting any (I'm 100% sure they will but they don't always advertise it). The shipping could be REALLY expensive tho.

That's why I said most of them (some, such as Grimlock and Cliffjumper are now appearing often enough that it's likely Hasbro consider them core TF characters.) You are right, they designed the Starscream/Ramjet tooling with at least 2-3 redecos in mind, but it is also highly likely that they found the market could not absorb the three other seekers after already selling three of them in the original run of Classics.

Or they said whatever they thought people would believe because darn it, Classics was ending NOW and they weren't gonna issue another wave.

It's also possible they just realized that Classics would be weighted towards the Decepticons if they did all 6 seekers, and having a larger "bad guy" roster wasn't something they wanted.

It's not like large corporations are always immediately and completely honest with consumers.

I don't need proof from Hasbro because its simply logical. You have three plane toys that are just repaints, and two retools of the same toy, two of which are redecos of each other (I doubt Hasbro would create unique Dirge wings). The problem is Thundercracker, Dirge and Thrust were nobodies, and there was no fiction to explain what they were which would make it harder to sell several nearly identical toys.

Ramjet was a nobody too.

Then isn't it largely irrelvant because you are not representative of the average Transformers customer? At most, you are an occassional customer who buys less product than the fans who buy stuff from every line that's released.

But I am MORE representative of the average retail customer than the fans that buy stuff from every line.

Or just a fairly picky Trannie fan.

Hey look, I'd like the seekers myself, all I'm saying was at the time, Hasbro had fairly reasonable... reasons to do what they did.

Regardless of if it was reasonable or not, people STILL aren't going to be happy about it, especially with the new seeker that nobody wants coming out now. No matter how many history lessons and repetition of the official corporate line they see, they're not going to cheer up.

And they will whine forever because BotCon exclusivity has (apparently) locked these products out of retail forever.

And I'm still skeptical that there was no feasable way to get them to retail the first time.

Plus the fact that we did get Skywarp at "nearly" mass release (an exclusive yes, but one quite widely available and very cheap considering). There is no way anyone can argue that Thundercracker and Skywarp are not exactly equal in fame/fandom.

TFormer's Hasbro Panel report (may need to refresh every now and then for updates)

Of interest to me:

* Target Universe comic packs Nov 08: Dirge, Roadbuster, Springer, Ratbat. These sets are Deluxe figure with a voyager figure and a comic:

*Thanksgiving release to kick off G1 re-issue of original Optimus Prime US version also include reprint of issue 1 comic from marvel and more then meets the eye 3 episode digital re-master DVD and a sound box with Cullen quotes. 5 panel window package. Silver foil 25th anniversary logo with classic type package.

* They will be celebrating all eras of TFs not just G1.

+ Universe Deluxe Hound w/ Ravage. G1 type mold. The clips on the back of Hound fit Ravage. Shoulder cannon on Hound comes off.

+ Universe Deluxe Cyclonus w./ Nightstick Targetmaster. G1 type mold. Nightsitck can be held by Cyclonus. Almost looks black. Very nice.

+ Universe Deluxe Beast Wars Cheetor. Eyes turn green to red, maybe thats a running change.

Don't get too excited about Dirge. This comic pack sounds like a War Within: The Dark Ages pack, because Dirge will use Cybertron Starscream's tooling. Roadbuster will be a repaint of Cyb Defense Hot Shot, Springer will be a repaint Energon Bulkhead and Ratbat will be a repaint of Cybertron Sideways (which is fortunate since they look fairly similar to my recollection).

NEW HOUND :D

Those Hasbro retards must really HATE foriegners, because we keep getting redirected to our local versions of Hasbro.com where the news isn't updated. Not only that, (if you manage to get onto the US site) now when you click on pics the window often just loads the frontpage of your local site.

Bloody Hasbro idiots. There, you guys, I CAN get angry at Hasbro :p

Hound with Ravage? Did I read that right?

Ironhide looks like a cross between Ironhide and Inferno. Looks nice. I like the hands. I need a better look at the head with him looking straight ahead instead of down, but it looks like a nice sculpt from what I can see.

Silverstreak's bot mode pic is there. They have Silverbolt as the thumbnail, but if you click on it, you'll see Silverstreak. To tell the truth, the mold looks better in Silverstreak colors.

I hope that's not all they're doing for Sideswipe, because that's clearly a Sunstreaker repaint with *nothing* changed. Very dissappointed with the head in particular. Do the wings on the head fold back at all? As is it's Redstreaker, not Sideswipe.

Silverbolt really does look like his animation model in bot mode.

Is there anyone left who doesn't own the G1 Optimus mold? Isn't that market pretty tiny?

Eagerly awaiting Botcon pics

New Classics!

New Animated!

WOW! Silverbolt is already my favorite, mostly because of how blocky and old school his bot mode looks. Absolutely love him so far. The rest of the classics also look pretty good, although Ironhide's alt mode looks like a complete mess in that photo. I'm really happy to see Silverstreak because that means I can skip Prowl.

The animated guys look just as good as the first couple waves, although I'll skip that repaint Bumblebee.

Eagerly awaiting Botcon pics

New Classics!

New Animated!

SilverStreak and Sideswipe look good, but then they're repaints of molds I already like. I wish Sideswipe had a different head and leg transformation to set him apart even more than just the chest. Ironhide looks cool, very G-1ish in bot mode. His truck mode looks like a Chinese puzzle box with all the seams. I don't care, though..he'll be mine. :)Silverbolt...well, he looks like his G1 inspiration. He's a typical slightly-folded-robot-under-an-airplane-fuselage design..utterly craptastic and lazy. Whilst I don't care for Powerglide's new incarnation, at least he has a decent transformation scheme.

TFA Ultra Magnus & Sentinal Prime look great. SP's toy looks better than his cartoon version IMHO, more T-formerish with the wider lower legs. From the cartoon, I thought his legs would tuck up in the truck mode YF-21 style and not be a part of the vehicle. Glad I was wrong. Swoop looks good in both modes, but his wings are pretty darn small for a pterodactyl. BB repaint is OK, but I think I'll just get his all-yellow version out of pure shameless nostalgia.

Man, just when my interested in Universe/Classics 2.0 starts to wane, Hasbro announces at Botcon that pretty much every other character except the missing Seekers (except, if I'm reading right, we ARE getting Dirge, and Camo Seeker), Jazz, and Wheeljack that I wanted a toy for are coming. And for someone who's somehow managed to miss every other G1 Prime re-release, a G1 Prime re-release! Man, I haven't bought a toy yet in 2008 (save MP Megatron), but by the end of the year I'll remember 2008 as the year I spent more on Transformers than videogames.

EDIT: From the looks of it, Dirge is a repaint of Cybertron Starscream, not Classics Ramjet. And I see another Classics Prime repaint next to Titanium Skywarp.

Edited by mikeszekely

SilverStreak and Sideswipe look good, but then they're repaints of molds I already like. I wish Sideswipe had a different head and leg transformation to set him apart even more than just the chest.
Sideswipe will have a different head and hands. The toy in the picture there is *literally* a hand-painted Sunstreaker toy. That's why you can see hints of yellow plastic near the windows and roof.

Here's a pic of Universe Sideswipe with his real head.

mikeszekely: That Classics Prime redeco is an SDCC-exclusive Nemesis Prime.

Sideswipe will have a different head and hands. The toy in the picture there is *literally* a hand-painted Sunstreaker toy. That's why you can see hints of yellow plastic near the windows and roof.

Here's a pic of Universe Sideswipe with his real head.

MUCH better.

Can anyone tell if you can orient the legs beneath the knees any differently to further differentiate Sunstreaker from Sideswipe? ie: twist them so the inner calf becomes the outer?

Edit: Just saw this:

"+ They respect each other exclusives. So if Takara re-released any seekers that were exclusive here, they would be different in some way so they weren't exact."

Is that a way of saying that Henkei might solve our seeker problem?

Edited by Alpha OTS

Best Botcon ever. Period. I need ALL the new toys. I don't even like Ironhide, but he looks awesome. Everyone else doesn't really need comments. Except Silverbolt---now I'm leaning towards him being "like a kick-ass Soviet version of the FB-22".

I have to admit I thought I would only pick up the leader class Megatron from Animated,but now that Ultra Magnus has moved up to top priority! When I see it I will grab it and fight some estranged kid to death if I have to in order to buy this thing of beauty. In addition I can't wait to see what the classics cyclonus will look like. Its going to be a good year for Transformer fans.

There's a Cyclonus coming?!?!??!!?

With a targetmaster too. From tformers:

"+ Universe Deluxe Cyclonus w/ Nightstick Targetmaster. G1 type mold. Nightsitck can be held by Cyclonus. Almost looks black. Very nice."

CLASSICS HOUND!!!!!!

Oh man, nothing but good news there.. I want ALL of the new-mold Universe Classics figs. Animated Dinobots and Magnus look amazing as well. So much good stuff there.

EDIT: And Classics Cyclonus is fantastic as well... that means that with Classics Galvy, Cyclonus, and Titanium Scourge you can finally have a good post-movie G1 set of modern figs!

Edited by promethuem5

I am going to wait until Hasbro releases battle mask versions of Bumblebee and Sentinel Prime. Its possible that they might, we all know how they make retools/repaints at least once for each mold.

I love Silverbolt's alt mode, but his robot mode to me is lacking. It looks exactly like the G1 version with wings shoved on his back. I don't hate it, but its also not my favorite robot mode. I dig the homage, but think the wings could be folded, or something to at least bulk him up. If he was bulkier in that mode, it wouldn't look so bad. I am glad we have more autobot jets in Classics.

Another character that is more popular, and better than Acid Storm in regards to making a seeker mold repaint is Air Raid. Hell the aerialbot leader is already in one wave, so theres recognition right there!

I don't care make the variant Thundercracker OOOoooOOooOoooooOOo 2 birds with one stone!

Want a Classics Ratchet, love that we are getting IDW inspired Ironhide, Sunstreaker, Bluestreak, Prowl and Sideswipe.

Roadbuster is a good repaint, and the Target comic packs basically save you $10. Now the big question, Blades or Springer pack? AH!