Transformers Super Thread 7

Yeah, but it's at the opposite end of the circle--they peg at the "top" and it's the bottom that cracked. The chunk missing fits the ankle joint's shape too well though, I suspect it's that more than the peg.

Update: Had a large chunk fall out as I was sitting here investigating things. I'm starting to suspect it's the paint (I just painted a few details on the ankles like many people have---the big circle at the bottom of the inner leg is just begging for some silver/bronze paint). But that would be a first, as I've painted many a silver detail on TF's with the same brand/type/color. It's my main "TF detailing" paint pen. If this particular TF doesn't like that paint, it's a first, and it reacts VERY quickly. I've had TF's painted with that paint for years without the slightest signs of a reaction.

::edit:: Yup, it's the paint. Just noticed stress marks forming on the red parts of the chest. Sigh. There's only a small amount of paint there, and it's never under stress, so hopefully it'll just be "some small stress marks". Or I'll wake up tomorrow and they'll have fallen off. I can't replace any chest pieces, that assembly is pinned and a bitch to get apart anyways.

If I don't find any junked Primes, I'll probably just have to buy a new American leader Prime and use its lower legs. (And maybe arms too--they look ok, but they are the same plastic and were painted the same way).

WEIRD note---the grey plastic is fine! Totally fine. Not the slightest reaction. (so far). But the red and blue? Falling apart before my eyes.

Warning: Sakura "Pen-touch" silver marker/pen does NOT like the non-grey plastic parts of a leader movie Prime. Man, 40 bucks if I have to buy a Prime just for parts... (guess I'll definitely pass on Ratchet and Lockdown and Lugnut at that point)

Sorry to hear, David. I know how much it sucks when an expensive Transformer breaks (my MP Starscream's left wing fell off).

I know I said I was going to hold off, but Toys R' Us had a coupon for $5 of if you spent $25 or more, so I bought Animated Starscream and Bumblebee. Starscream, I like a lot. It's a toss up between him and Grimlock for favorite Animated toy so far. Bumblebee, well... I want to like him. Alt mode's pretty good, and I love that he has an interesting and very different Transformation than Classics, despite the fact that their alt modes have very similar. But he's so plagued with issues. Kibble on his back, shoulders, and the back of his legs really limits his posability. And while this might be unique to mine, his arms are prone to popping off when his shoulders get caught on his back kibble. I hate that his stingers don't fold onto his arms well, which further limits his posability (although Jin Saotome posted a fix for that, I don't have a dremel). I'd also like to know what's with the half-assed paint job. I'm lousy with paints (I've got a few 1/144 Gundam models to prove it), so I haven't dared to paint any of my Transformers ever. I was tempted to finish the black around Voyager Megatron's wrists, but I held off on even that. But I'm definitely going to have to paint Bumblebee. He's completely missing the black stripe on his leg (the stripe that flows into his foot, his faux windshield keeps popping off so I'm tempted to just paint one on, he could use some black on his hands, and while it looks like they put some kind of shiny paint where his headlights are, it's really not noticeable unless you're holding it under a light. I suspect that it's so they don't show on his feet too much, as they don't really show on his animated counterpart. Frankly, his bot mode suffers enough that I'd rather they went all out on making his alt mode look great.

Which actually brings me back to David. You mentioned paint markers? On my Gundams, I've used those little jars of Testors and a small brush, and like I said, I'm not happy with my skill there. A marker sounds a lot easier to keep in the lines, so to speak. Although you've used your brand with much success for everything until your Prime, your Prime still has me leery of said brand. So can anyone else suggest some good paints/paint markers?

Oh, yeah, and does anyone know if the Miniature Silver Symbols from Reprolables are a good fit for the Animated toys? I really don't know why Hasbro opted to slap silver and gold-painted logos on characters who appear in the cartoon with bright red and purple faction symbols.

Edited by mikeszekely

Saw Deep Space Starscream today in person. It looks beautiful...much much better in person. I didn't get it yet, but its damn tempting. The paint job makes one hell of a difference. Its a First Fighter Wing F-22....so I have reason to buy it.

Got my hands on voyager Prime, and the automorph gimmick is great but tricky. No loose shoulders here, but the torso connections to enable "chest" articulation are noticeably looser than other parts. The axe is heavy on the arms, so the biceps swivel freely under the weight. Thats the most dissapointing thing. I don't mind the design of the axe, but due to it weighing the biceps down, I can see why most of you would prefer using the lighter, battle begins axe. This figure has no ratchets at all, from what I can tell. It could have benefitted from ratchets in the arms, especially like voyager Megatron's. What that figure proved, was that a huge gun/weapon contraption could still be posed/mounted on an arm without weighing it down. With that said, voyager Prime cannot hold that many poses with the axe raised up in the air that well.

Articulation is great in the arms, and the legs would have been much better with more range of motion in the knees, and thigh swivels. You won't be able to pose this as dynamically as Cybertronian Deluxe Prime. He can still hold his axe with 2 hands, and can kind of cross his arms. Its too easy to dislodge the waist gimmick and have it spin freely, there is a notch that the torso secures itself into but its not very secure. With it secured, the waist is not loose, without, its very loose.

Due to size and design its got more presence than the deluxe versions. It matches the animation well and its a solid figure. There is an elbow hinge and one on the side of the elbow, and both can be used well for dynamic poses. As a voyager figure it won't really surprise you as its straight forward, you pretty much know what to expect, especially since its for a average sized character on the show, not a big one like Bulkhead. If the automorph worked better and was less tricky to work, it would be more exciting. The knees do not bend back as much as I'd like either. Nonetheless, its a great figure and worth having. Not the most surprising/impressive voyager but that doesn't mean its not a good one. Its just what you would expect of a decent voyager Transformer

I just got a set of miniature symbols from Reprolabels. They are the same size as G1. The smallest is "combiner limb" symbol size, the next larger one is "small Autobot car hood symbol" size. (All Reprolabel symbols match "official" G1 sizes---the largest size on a normal Decepticon sheet is "seeker wing" size)

I grabbed Grimlock today.

The decision to basically use the original transformation is interesting. You can really point to it and say "G1... with joints!"

Engineering-wise, anyways.

Though he also has the fat and clumsy 80s-dinosaur look, which warms my heart.

I just got a set of miniature symbols from Reprolabels. They are the same size as G1. The smallest is "combiner limb" symbol size, the next larger one is "small Autobot car hood symbol" size. (All Reprolabel symbols match "official" G1 sizes---the largest size on a normal Decepticon sheet is "seeker wing" size)

*regrets again that parents gave away all his old Transformers when I was a teen* Without a G1 reference handy, would you say that they are or are not suitable for the Animated toys?

Proposal---anyone want to "upgrade" their non-Premium Prime with some Premium parts? Like say the sword? One possibility is for me to buy a new Premium Prime, and just take the lower legs from it. Then I could sell off the sword, "silvery thighs", and new head to help recover the repair costs. Anyone interested in some Premium Prime parts like that to upgrade their older Prime? (Prime's very easy to take apart, so long as you avoid the electronics in the chest)

Short form: a new US Prime is 40 bucks. I'd like to recover half the repair costs if possible. So I need to find a "junker" Prime for 20, or sell off 20 bucks worth of Premium parts from a new one.

As it is, my Prime's leg damage is so severe he cannot stand up in robot mode at all (since his ankles have lost 50% of their plastic) and I'm not sure he can even hold together in truck mode since some of the pegs are gone now.

I asked this earlier but it seems to have gotten lost in the latest batch of messages, does anyone know what silver paint hasbro uses for their premium prime? If no one knows exactly which type, can anyone at least recommend a paint that is similar? It really bugs me that the legs are nicely painted but the upper arms are not.

I plan to experiment on my "scrap" Prime parts now, will try Tamiya's AS-11, which is an AWESOME silver in all respects. (And since that paint is specifically designed to be used on bare injection-molded plastic, it should be fine)

Basic problem of silver paint: The more toxic/harsh, the smoother/better it looks. Silver is the one color acrylics really can't do well (unless airbrushed, and even then it's only "acceptable"). And lacquer is better than enamel. But most lacquer will eat even 'strong' plastic.

I don't know. I'm rather fond of Testor's acrylic silver paints. Both the normal and the Model Master look good, to me. The Model Master acrylic silver seems to be a perfect match for the silver paint that Hasbro uses. I had to touch up a sot on my IM movie War Machine, and you can't even tell where my paint ends, and there's begins. My only complaint would be that it's a little too translucent. The regular Testors silver paint will give better coverage in fewer coats, and looks just as good.

I don't know. I'm rather fond of Testor's acrylic silver paints. Both the normal and the Model Master look good, to me. The Model Master acrylic silver seems to be a perfect match for the silver paint that Hasbro uses. I had to touch up a sot on my IM movie War Machine, and you can't even tell where my paint ends, and there's begins. My only complaint would be that it's a little too translucent. The regular Testors silver paint will give better coverage in fewer coats, and looks just as good.

Hmmn. Of all acrylic silvers, I find Testors Model Master the worst. Simply "coarse", flake-wise. And very translucent.

Starscream, I like a lot. It's a toss up between him and Grimlock for favorite Animated toy so far. Bumblebee, well... I want to like him. I hate that his stingers don't fold onto his arms well, which further limits his posability (although Jin Saotome posted a fix for that, I don't have a dremel).

Animated Grimlock... I am truly in love.

So between yesterday and today I've opened up Bumblebee, Ratchet, Prowl, Starscream, Lugnut and Grimlock.

Gotta agree that Bumblebee's stingers are annoying as hell. I was trying to force it because it looks like they can go flush in the instructions picture.

I stopped though because it didn't feel right and came to this thread and saw pics and posts with the same thing <_<

I also don't like how out of place he seems size wise in Robot mode. He's supposed to be the smallest bot but he seems too big next to Ratchet and especially Prowl.

Ratchet is ok, his legs are kind of loose on mine. I wish they would have included both prongs for his electromagnets.

Prowl is pretty dope. Easily the best out of the 3 deluxes I opened. I thought the transformation was really damn clever. Love the gear mechanisms on the throwing stars. Too bad they couldn't have made them thinner so he can palm the base instead of having to hold it by the blades.

Starscream is awesome! Nothing to complain about except for the clear orange arm lasers. Hopefully someone will recast these in color matched gray.

Lugnut. Was satisfied with him at first, the transformation was fun. But then seeing his size next to Starscream killed it for me. This guy is supposed to be the hulking giant of the Deceps but he's friggin puny.

The automoph feature on his energy mace did not for for mine out of the box. Took it apart and fiddled with it for like an hour and still couldn't get it to activate the way the instructions described.

Got really annoyed with it and returned it to the collapsed position and put it back together.

Grimlock is hand's down the best of the bunch. I'm torn on what mode to keep him in because he looks great in both. Joints are nice and tight, transformation is similar to the original and I get a kick out of the Fire Sword gimmick when you turn his hand.

So far I'm pretty happy with this line. I'm kinda neutral on the Deluxes except for Prowl and love all the Voyagers except for Lugnut.

I'm leaving Blackarachnia and Lockdown to open tomorrow.

Edited by chowyunskinny

Voyager Prime is just as G1-tastic and Animated Grimlock... I am truly in love.

Gotta agree with you there, I just picked up Voyager Prime today and I'm totally geeking out over him and Grimlock both. Even my wife geeked out a little over Prime and had to transform him herself. She did it faster than I was able to. :lol:

Edited by eriku

You know, I'm *this* close to painting the beast-mode eyes on my Terrorcons. More so than any other TF's ever, these are "obviously missing paint-apps". Trying to get the "official" colors, too:

Hun-Grrr---pale blue? (most official drawings do NOT match the toy---Hun-Grrr's heads have a visor like Jazz, not individual eyes--the only official thing that matches is Abominus' box art, and they're blue there)

Everyone else: red

So it looks like a lot of people in this thread are starting to find Voyager Prime. I hope that means that he'll start turning up in stores around here soon. I swung by Target and Wal-Mart today. Target looks the same as it did last week before the street date, and the only change to Wal-Mart's stock is that they put out some Lugnuts.

I found the last Voyager Prime at my Target yesterday.... they finally put out some new stuff; there was the standard endcap with a bazillion Deep Space SS, and some Voyagers and Two-packs... there was no peg for Deluxes but I found a Cybertron mode Prime on the shelf, and grabbed that as well. Aside from debating if I'll get Lockdown, I'm all set until wave 3 Deluxes start showing up.

Finally picked up TFA BB, SS, and Voyager Prime. Right now Prime is my favorite. They need more decepticons, right now there doesn't seem to be enough until wave 2 comes out. I still need to buy Black Arachnia and Voyager Megatron and I will have practically all of wave one. I haev never owned this many transformers from one series but i love these figures and i can't wait till the next wave hits.

You know, I'm *this* close to painting the beast-mode eyes on my Terrorcons. More so than any other TF's ever, these are "obviously missing paint-apps". Trying to get the "official" colors, too:

Hun-Grrr---pale blue? (most official drawings do NOT match the toy---Hun-Grrr's heads have a visor like Jazz, not individual eyes--the only official thing that matches is Abominus' box art, and they're blue there)

Everyone else: red

Hate your G1 Terrorcons, do you?

(Joke in reference to the unfortunate plastic-destroying incident with your paint).

Starscream has a pretty decent Gerwalk mode. Although in this photo it looks a bit like he's presenting himself to Nora...

StarPoser.jpg

So far I've been quite satisfied with the simplicity and aesthetic appeal of the Animated figs I've picked up. Lugnut is the current leader for me, as his transformation is so smooth and intuitive. Prime is fun too, once you figure out the correct way to line up his waist for the spin gimmick to reset properly into alt-mode.

I'm having trouble getting TFA Starscream's chest plate to align properly/snugly with the back section when transforming back to fighter plane mode. There always seems to be a gap. But I noticed in some of the pics here that's not the case. Am I mis-transforming something?? Any help? :mellow:

Thanks in advance.

I'm having trouble getting TFA Starscream's chest plate to align properly/snugly with the back section when transforming back to fighter plane mode. There always seems to be a gap. But I noticed in some of the pics here that's not the case. Am I mis-transforming something?? Any help? :mellow:

Thanks in advance.

You probably just need to fiddle with the orientation of his hips a bit. If the hips are clicked a little too far down and the knees not totally compressed, the legs will pull downward on the back of the jet mode and create a gap. Futz around with the leg orientation in fighter mode and you'll probably fix snugness issue.

I was having the same problem i will use your tips and work it out when i get home. I am such an addict i am sitting here thinking of what i am willing to sacrifice this week to get the last two figures i need and then i went online and look the the toys for wave two. I must have NOW!!!!

Yeah, these Animated toys seem to be more addicting than all previous lines. I just tallied up how much I spent on Animated in one week and at first I was alarmed but then I realized the total was still less than half the price of a Yammie valk for a LOT more toy fun, quantity-wise. :)

Heh, I just figured out that I was missing a transformation step to ship mode with deluxe Ani-Megatron(the one that comes in the two pack). The chest can click back so it's closer to the "cockpit" part of the fusion cannon, which makes the ship mode look more cohesive as it's closer to the curve of the fusion cannon "cockpit". Looking at pics of the Voyager now, I *much* prefer the alt mode of the deluxe. The cockpit/front of the ship's just more defined. Unless the Voyager's cockpit has a transform step where it curves down to something similar?

I'm still dissapointed that the the legs on the deluxe are so damn loose.