Transformers Super Thread 7

I wasn't going to get all of the Animated toys but now that their numbers are growing on my shelf I can't help but think how cool it would look to see them all together. I typically don't feel that way with toy lines, but these Animated guys have so much character and personality and they're so well done that you almost expect them to start moving on their own and have little battles.

I know what you mean. I was just going to collect a few, but now that they're starting to hit stores, they're all looking mighty tempting...

I wasn't going to go out again today, but a friend wanted to do lunch, so I went back to Target again. The endcap was there! It just had movie Deep Space Starscream, Grimlock, and Lugnut, though. No Voyager Primes. Picked up Grimlock, went to Wal-Mart, and picked up Blackarachnia and Ratchet. Blackarachnia I like less than I thought I would, Grimlock is fantastic, and Ratchet is solid. I like how he transforms, and it makes me long for Universe Ironhide. The only thing I don't really like is how they did his electromagnets... it's like they're only half there.

I'm going to try to stop until I find a Voyager Prime, but I'm sorely tempted to get the rest of the Autobots. Prowl's easier to resist, since I know they're coming out with another, and Bulkhead I might want in the Leader size.

I'm going to try to stop until I find a Voyager Prime, but I'm sorely tempted to get the rest of the Autobots. Prowl's easier to resist, since I know they're coming out with another, and Bulkhead I might want in the Leader size.

Did you ask for them to check in the back for you? I was out today and I asked the guy if they had any in the back inventory, and 10 minutes later he returned with voyager prime in hand. B))

Did you ask for them to check in the back for you? I was out today and I asked the guy if they had any in the back inventory, and 10 minutes later he returned with voyager prime in hand. B))

I didn't even know you could do that. :blink:

I'll probably check back later in the week.

I didn't even know you could do that. :blink:

Well, there are a few good tricks to cultivate as a toy hunter who doesn't want to pay it through the nose at a BBTS. Target's the easiest because their customer service is pretty good, at least round my parts. They can usually scan the item label to check if there is any inventory in the back that should be on the shelf but currently is not. They won't break street date, but if the street date has been passed, and its in the back, they will under most circumstances get the item for you if its in stock.

At the walmart I go I cultivated a good relationship with the people who load and unload all the toys, and now they will on ocassion even squirrel away items for me that they know I am looking for.

Heresy! But seriously, what's wrong? The gap below her neck? Her feet don't match the animation, but that's my only issue.

Nah, I can deal with the gap below her neck. I don't like that her hands show on her spider legs, but I could even live with that. What I really don't like is her feet. The way they fold out means that she's leaning if her legs are straight, and she doesn't balance well. I have her kinda squating, like she might be taking a dump (maybe that's why she doesn't like her organic half?).

Ah, her "curves weirdly when viewed from the side" legs. Honestly, it's easy to get her to stand--just "go with it" with regards to her legs. Don't try to 'stand them up straight' like a human. Let them 'curve how they want'---she'll stand just fine, and still look good (since her whole design is based on her legs curving). I'll try to get a side-view pic of mine posted later.

Due to her feet, she can have her legs curve WAY back under her and still not fall over, despite the bustle.

I didn't even know you could do that. blink.gif

I got mixed results when I tried this looking for joes. Depending on who you talk to, some will say they cannot go back there since they are not allowed, and some will say that as long as product is on the shelf, they cannot go back to put more out.

Her feet don't match the animation, but that's my only issue.

I wish she had wrist articulation, and hand articulation. Great figure though.

It increases his knee articulation. It's really simple, takes a minute and is completely reversable if you don't like it. If you look at Prowl's thighs you'll see a gold panel on the outside of each one. This panel prevents the knees from making their full range of motion. All you have to do is remove the screw from each one, pry the panels off, swap them (left panel on right thigh, right panel on left thigh) turn them upside-down and screw them back on. Doesn't get in the way of transformation or anything else and gives Prowl better knees. Best of all it's simple, non-invasive, quick and reversible.

Thanks man, sounds great, I'll do this if I end up picking up Prowl(most likely the Samurai sidecar version).

Did you ask for them to check in the back for you? I was out today and I asked the guy if they had any in the back inventory, and 10 minutes later he returned with voyager prime in hand. cool.gif

How does he compare to the deluxe Primes?

I wish her hands were in sheaths, much like Prowl's, that rotated 180 deg to form the spider leg and hid the hand in spider mode. The rest of her was well designed, and then they just got lazy with her arms.

Did you buy the voyagers, and if you did, how does voyager Prime compare with his deluxe counterparts?

Yes I did. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my previous post. And no, I haven't opened them yet. So far I've opened all the Deluxes and will open the Voyagers probably this weekend. Will post a report when I can.

I know you're waiting for sidecar Prowl, but this version is awesome. Best motorcycle TF figure IMHO.

According to the model sheet, her lips are basically the same color as her face---they *are* different (darker), but it's even more subtle than the "purple plastic vs purple paint" on the toy.

::edit:: Whoops, wrong model sheet (the far more famous/common one is actually not how she looks). Hmmn, black lips, or very dark blue/purple? Might know better after the next ep airs. I may get out my acrylic paints, 25/0 brush, and see what I can do. Acrylic=easy to wipe off and try again.

Pics of MP-7 Thundercracker, Alternity series Convoy feat. Nissan GT-R, Henkei and Encore.

http://www.fantofan.jp/news/event/toyshow2008/report.htm

Details about the Alternity series and GT-R

Transformers Alternity: a new line, or more of a spinoff from Binaltech but at the sametime includes some of the auto-transform gimmicks from the TF movie toyline, will kickoff end of the year, the first one to be relese would be NISSAN GT-R Convoy, only prototype is currently shown, although price is set at 4725 JPYen, the date of release is not been determined yet. 2 color versions have been planned, Ultimate Metal Silver and Vibrant Red
Edited by IXTL

ZOMG!! Animated Grimlock is even more G1 love than Ratchet... I think I've found my new favorite Transformers toy that doesn't turn into a base/city!

Isn't he awesome? He's easily my favorite animated toy so far. Do you have any problem sliding the arms in? A lot of people aren't able to slide the arms up all the wayin bot mode and have been opening them up to trim away plastic. Mine are very tight but luckily I haven't had to do any surgery.

Nope.. I'm doing really well on Animated QC so far... between me and my bro we/ve gotten 7 near-flawless or flawless figures. My Grimmy had one or two minor paint goobers that quickly came off with an X-acto, and transforms perfectly. I'm gonna add the little bit of paint details to him that David Willis of Shortpacked added, but out of the box he's amazing.

Wait one fracking second, is that a movie inspired bumblebee in scale with an alternator? Does that look like a new mold for a movie bumblebee?

http://www.fantofan.jp/news/event/toyshow2008/DSC00328.jpg

Edit: whoops, never mind, it looks like the new BTs are going to be smaller.... <_<:(

Edited by GobotFool

Wait one fracking second, is that a movie inspired bumblebee in scale with an alternator? Does that look like a new mold for a movie bumblebee?

Edit: whoops, never mind, it looks like the new BTs are going to be smaller.... <_<:(

eh??

what makes you assume the new BT's will be smaller?

Well I got all 4 of the Animated figures I ordered so I'll go ahead and post my thoughts. I wound up getting Prowl, Jazz, Cybertron Prime and Soundwave.

Prowl: A great little figure with a neat transformation. Mine has no paint issues are loose joints. That being said, I can definitely see the hips becoming floppy with continued transformations. All in all I was very impressed with this figure.

Jazz: This guy is probably my favorite of the four I bought. The color scheme and transformation reminds me of good ol' G1 Jazz. All his joints are nice and tight and feel like they'll stay that way. The transformation, like all the animated figures, is fairly simple, but still fun. If i had to gripe on Jazz, it'd be he had a small paint drop on his right front tire, but that was easily removed.

Cybertron Prime: Like most of the reviews on here, it's difficult to find fault with this figure. Fun transformation, tight joints and perfect paint (on mine anyways) make this a really great addition to the collection. He also has a fairly nice range of motion on his joints.

Soundwave: Now here is probably the most disappointing of my four Animated figures. Transformation is fun and probably the most complex of the ones I bought. I really dig the sculpt on this guy, very true to the show with some solid reminders of the old Soundwave. Paint application on mine was as near perfect as can be. My biggest gripe is his knees, which are so damn loose right out of the box. I'll need to fix em at some point. Though all in all, he can still stand on h is own two feet.

I'm looking forward to snagging a Voyager Prime as soon as I can find one. All in all great figures.

eh??

what makes you assume the new BT's will be smaller?

Look at the picture I linked, thats the new alternity prime shown next to a movie bee for scale purposes.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/c...-henkei-165176/

the GTR is not an alternator or a BT, its a new line of licensed vehicle toys called Alternity, and allegedly they are going to be deluxe instead of voyager scaled toys.

Look at the picture I linked, thats the new alternity prime shown next to a movie bee for scale purposes.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/c...-henkei-165176/

the GTR is not an alternator or a BT, its a new line of licensed vehicle toys called Alternity, and allegedly they are going to be deluxe instead of voyager scaled toys.

Yeah? Did you also notice that the one in comparison pic is different than the one on display?

post-515-1213908572_thumb.jpgpost-515-1213908591_thumb.jpg

Until someone translates what that says in the comparison pic, i'm not buying the size change yet.

FantoFan's description said nothing about it being deluxe sized:

Transformers Alternity: a new line, or more of a spinoff from Binaltech but at the sametime includes some of the auto-transform gimmicks from the TF movie toyline, will kickoff end of the year, the first one to be relese would be NISSAN GT-R Convoy, only prototype is currently shown, although price is set at 4725 JPYen, the date of release is not been determined yet. 2 color versions have been planned, Ultimate Metal Silver and Vibrant Red. Once the release has been confirmed, we will initiate the preorder.

I'm hoping that image on the monitor is talking about the automorph feature.

I mainly just don't want this to be true because 50 bucks for a deluxe sized TF sucks.

Edited by chowyunskinny

Yeah? Did you also notice that the one in comparison pic is different than the one on display?

post-515-1213908572_thumb.jpgpost-515-1213908591_thumb.jpg

Until someone translates what that says in the comparison pic, i'm not buying the size change yet.

FantoFan's description said nothing about it being deluxe sized:

Transformers Alternity: a new line, or more of a spinoff from Binaltech but at the sametime includes some of the auto-transform gimmicks from the TF movie toyline, will kickoff end of the year, the first one to be relese would be NISSAN GT-R Convoy, only prototype is currently shown, although price is set at 4725 JPYen, the date of release is not been determined yet. 2 color versions have been planned, Ultimate Metal Silver and Vibrant Red. Once the release has been confirmed, we will initiate the preorder.

The one in the comparison picture is listed as the GTR alternity (though it looks like a really early proto). There also some news a while back of a smaller scaled spin off line from the BT (connected to BT because it was going to use licensed vehicles). I hope this isn't the case and I'm just being a panicky fanboy, but the fact they are showing it in scale with a movie deluxe, doesn't make me feel good. I hope the smaller scale is just a rumor. However, I can't think of many other reasons they would have for showing a comparison shot of it with a movie deluxe other to compare the relative size.

Edited by GobotFool

Nope.. I'm doing really well on Animated QC so far... between me and my bro we/ve gotten 7 near-flawless or flawless figures. My Grimmy had one or two minor paint goobers that quickly came off with an X-acto, and transforms perfectly. I'm gonna add the little bit of paint details to him that David Willis of Shortpacked added, but out of the box he's amazing.

I swear I posted a response, but it's not here. Anyways---got a link to the Grimlock repaint? I can only find BA, Prime, and Megs on his blog page. (Man, he went all-out on BA, I don't know if I can do the gold edging like that---maybe if I find a good metallic marker in coppery-gold)

I swear I posted a response, but it's not here. Anyways---got a link to the Grimlock repaint? I can only find BA, Prime, and Megs on his blog page. (Man, he went all-out on BA, I don't know if I can do the gold edging like that---maybe if I find a good metallic marker in coppery-gold)

Thinking of paint, does anyone know what type of paint hasbro uses for their silver? I just got my takara premium prime, and while I think they did a great job on him It drives me nuts that they left his arms bare plastic. I really want to go in their with an airbrush and touch it up.

Edited by GobotFool

DH- here's links direct to the photos... it's basically alot of black trim and edging, along with the grey on the dino mode arms and the robot mode leg pads, which scratch a bit in transforming anyway... did it this afternoon with some Citadel Chaos Black and craft paint for the gunship grey:

http://pics.livejournal.com/shortpacked/pic/001640as

http://pics.livejournal.com/shortpacked/pic/001667y0

Looks like Sentinel Prime is going to be a Deluxe, not a Voyager. I might be a minority, but I'm happy to hear that. At $10 a pop, I'll pick up Voyagers on a whim, whereas I have to think about it a bit more before buying a Voyager, and I almost never buy Leaders.

Looks like Sentinel Prime is going to be a Deluxe, not a Voyager. I might be a minority, but I'm happy to hear that. At $10 a pop, I'll pick up Voyagers on a whim, whereas I have to think about it a bit more before buying a Voyager, and I almost never buy Leaders.

The other reason to wait on leader is that they are usually so expensive that you can wait a while for them to get discounted. Not a lot of parents will dump 40 bucks for one toy, particularly when they can get 4 for the same price. This of course depends on the toys popularity.