Transformers Super Thread 7

I'm just upset that the only Earth-mode Megs is the Leader-sized one... I've been digging the opportunity to own all of the good characters and toys at the smaller price ranges, and really, figures like Ratchet are the perfect size for me... that's why I was so glad Earth-mode Prime is a smaller sized fig.

No Voyager Earth-Mode Megatron...? :(

Well, in happier news, Toys R' Us finally had some Animated figures! They had the Battle Begins pack, which I passed on, as well as Deluxe Prowl, Cybertron Prime, Lockdown, and Bumblebee, plus Voyager Cybertron Megatron, Starscream, and Bulkhead. As tempting as it was to just buy them all, I went with Cybertron Prime and Cybertron Megs, and called it a day. I do want Starscream, but I'm on the fence about the rest of them. The only other certains for me right now, which they didn't have anyway, are Grimlock, Ultra Magnus, Sentinel Prime, Jazz, and Soundwave.

No Voyager Earth-Mode Megatron...? :(

For now, it looks that way. I want one in that scale too since the leader version is too big for my shelves.

Does anyone know why wave 3 Voyager figs like Lugnut and Grimlock are hitting the stores before Prime who supposed to be in wave 2? Or did I just miss out on him? :huh:

One issue I'm surprised no one brought up (except David Willis at Shortpacked!) is the strut connecting Voyager Megatron's fusion cannon to his arm. The instructions tell you to fold it back. The pic on the back of the box has it folded all the way back. But a largish hunk of plastic prevents the cannon from being folded back on the actual toy. Willis apparently dremeled his, but I can't see from his pics how much he dremeled or how such dremeling affects vehicle mode. For that matter, I do no even own a dremel.

One issue I'm surprised no one brought up (except David Willis at Shortpacked!) is the strut connecting Voyager Megatron's fusion cannon to his arm. The instructions tell you to fold it back. The pic on the back of the box has it folded all the way back. But a largish hunk of plastic prevents the cannon from being folded back on the actual toy. Willis apparently dremeled his, but I can't see from his pics how much he dremeled or how such dremeling affects vehicle mode. For that matter, I do no even own a dremel.

I think the allspark page linked a few posts ago has added some photos of exactly what you describe.

Earth Mode Prime is able to pull off some incredible flexing poses... I want to take out that hip spring though and just make it an articulated waist joint though, since I dislike gimmicks that compromise articulation.

By far my favorite so far is Prowl though, there seems to be no limit to the number of cool poses/crouches/stances he can achieve, especially if you flip and invert the thigh pads (I think he looks better that way anyway, like they switch from looking like intakes to vents or jets). I wanna get a second one and kitbash him a samurai-armor sidecar.

Haven't actually seen any for sale in TX though, the ones I do have were bought through a friend in Ohio who took advantage of Botcon pre-stocking at stores. I plan to milk this line slowly though, since I need to save for VF-25's that are gonna all but bankrupt me :)

I think the allspark page linked a few posts ago has added some photos of exactly what you describe.

Earth Mode Prime is able to pull off some incredible flexing poses... I want to take out that hip spring though and just make it an articulated waist joint though, since I dislike gimmicks that compromise articulation.

By far my favorite so far is Prowl though, there seems to be no limit to the number of cool poses/crouches/stances he can achieve, especially if you flip and invert the thigh pads (I think he looks better that way anyway, like they switch from looking like intakes to vents or jets). I wanna get a second one and kitbash him a samurai-armor sidecar.

Haven't actually seen any for sale in TX though, the ones I do have were bought through a friend in Ohio who took advantage of Botcon pre-stocking at stores. I plan to milk this line slowly though, since I need to save for VF-25's that are gonna all but bankrupt me :)

No kitbash necessary. I'm pretty samurai armor Prowl is getting a release. In fact, I think I'm gonna hold off for that Prowl.

No Voyager Earth-Mode Megatron...? sad.gif

No, haven't heard of one planned either.

Thats true, I did not even realize the prototype could do that, I thought I was just looking at mine wrong. It is dissapointing. I just keep mine slung under the arm as opposed to leaving it hanging off the side.

Does anyone know why wave 3 Voyager figs like Lugnut and Grimlock are hitting the stores before Prime who supposed to be in wave 2? Or did I just miss out on him? huh.gif

This has me puzzled too, as he is in the wave before them! It doesn't make sense to me, he is one of the most popular characters in the show, and he has brand recognition going for him.

Well, in happier news, Toys R' Us finally had some Animated figures! They had the Battle Begins pack, which I passed on, as well as Deluxe Prowl, Cybertron Prime, Lockdown, and Bumblebee, plus Voyager Cybertron Megatron, Starscream, and Bulkhead. As tempting as it was to just buy them all, I went with Cybertron Prime and Cybertron Megs, and called it a day. I do want Starscream, but I'm on the fence about the rest of them. The only other certains for me right now, which they didn't have anyway, are Grimlock, Ultra Magnus, Sentinel Prime, Jazz, and Soundwave.

Lockdown is okay, but overrated. Arm articulation is great, and so is his alt mode, but his leg articulation in robot mode could have been much better. The knees do not bend 90 degrees, only 45-60, and he lacks double joints in that area. His most impressive asset is that there is no indication in either mode that it can even transform, and it seems like he goes up or down a size class depending on which mode he is in.

I recommend Bulkhead and Starscream. Bulky is a sleeper hit, transformation, wrecking ball gimmick, and articulation are impressive. For a fat transformer, Bulky can even be stood on one hand. What transformer can do that? Not many. Starscream is impressive, but the excitement isn't so surprising when it was one of the first Animated toys leaked and reviewed extensively months before release.

Will be released as Prowl+sidecar from everything I've read, and normal Prowl can't use the armor. Kind of like early 1/60 VF-1's-----the armor won't fit on the ones that weren't built to take it.

Man i love this line. I just picked up Lockdown, Prowl, Deluxe Bulk Head, and Grimlock. Some tranformations are easy, some are moderate. I just really like that they do so much to maintain the look of the toys with how they actually look in the cartoon. So now i can reenact some great scenes. I wonder though if there will be more constructicons and if they will combine. It doesn't look like they are meant for that in the show right now.

I'm only intending to buy a few Animated figures. Mainly a Prime, Megatron, and maybe a Starscream. How big is leader earth mode Megatron? Is he as ridiculously large as leader Optimus? He's really the only Megatron figure I want out of the line because I really like the design, but with Premium Movie Megatron as large as he is, I don't want another huge hulking figure hogging my Megatron shelf.

I picked up Animated Cybertron Prime. I'm pretty impressed. There's really nothing hindering articulation in bot mode as he's pretty much just an action figure in that mode. I always like when they find a way to hide the wheels in bot mode, and this is a case where they have, albeit he only has front wheels to hide. I also always like weapon storage and this does it in such a clever way that he's holding the axe and shield when you're finally finished.

There's only two things I don't like, which are kind of minor. First it takes a bit of fiddling to get everything just right when going back to alt mode. Although transforming him to bot mode is almost instantaneous. The other is that there's some sloppy paint apps going on with the silver on the front fenders. No loose joints thankfully.

Starscream's bit of auto-transforming technology is neat, as when you swing the legs down, the rest of the figure pretty much transforms itself... all in all I'm much more impressed with the few auto-transforming features included in these toys than I was with any pics and reviews I saw of the movie figs. Think I may wait for Prowl w/ Sidecar to come out as well...

Is he as ridiculously large as leader Optimus?

I think he is shorter than both Movie Leaders Optimus and Megatron.

I also always like weapon storage and this does it in such a clever way that he's holding the axe and shield when you're finally finished.

Its freaking brilliant. That had to be one of the most impressive aspects of that toy that surprised me after transformation.

I've seen more pictures of Prowl in different poses. As a figure its tempting due to the articulation and range of motion. If only his character on the show was more to my liking...oh well. If he turns out better with regards to character development in later episodes/seasons, then I will pick it up.

Stopped by my local Wally World on my way to visit my dad, since he's busy tomorrow. They still don't have any Animated toys. I asked an employee, and it was painfully obvious that he didn't have a clue. He said something about changing the aisles and to check back at the end of July... even if they stick to the street date, they should still have them out in about a week, right?

Thinking about going back to Toys R' Us tomorrow. I like my Voyager Cybertron Megatron, but I'm not living it. I am loving my Deluxe Cybertron Prime, though. The Voyager Earth Prime looks okay, and the Supreme Earth Prime looks like crap, so that Deluxe Earth Prime in the two-pack is really looking good, and I'm hoping I like Deluxe Cybertron Megatron better than the Voyager. Even with the crappy battle damage paint.

The animated toys are out here in australia. Some them at Toys R Us for any aussies who might not have known.. I'm going to resist the temptation to buy any and wait for classics 2.0 or whatever it is called.

Oh.. and although grimlock animated is probably a much better toy than classics grimlock, I still like the non-cartoony look of the grimlock classics. Would have been good if classics had a release of grimlock at leader class with better details and stuff. :D Too bad it's not a main line. I think a leader class classics of grimlock would sell. Major G1 character in both tv series (almost kills prime) and the animated movie.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

translation: TFClassics should have had a version of grimlock at a larger size than deluxe. Leader class grimlock would have rocked.

Maybe if grimlock appears in the second live action TF movie in some form we might see a leader class grimlock? (also ditch the tailwhip weapon and give him a sword while they are at it)

Giant dinosaur robot deserves a bigger size.

Same thing with Starscream: I'm surprised there was no larger size toy of him in the live action movie line.. :(

edit: oh and on the topic of grimlock, any news on if there will ever be a masterpiece grimlock in the future? I remember there were some rumours of that a while ago?

Thinking about going back to Toys R' Us tomorrow. I like my Voyager Cybertron Megatron, but I'm not living it. I am loving my Deluxe Cybertron Prime, though. The Voyager Earth Prime looks okay, and the Supreme Earth Prime looks like crap, so that Deluxe Earth Prime in the two-pack is really looking good, and I'm hoping I like Deluxe Cybertron Megatron better than the Voyager. Even with the crappy battle damage paint.

It all depends on what you want out of it. If you are looking for just a smaller version of the voyager in a deluxe size, you will be dissapointed. Simplified is more like it. A lot of the details that are painted on the deluxe are actual molded pieces/parts on the voyager. The gun on the deluxe is a more g1-centric gun as opposed to the bfg that the voyager has. Articulation is better all around on the voyager with some exceptions; the deluxe has better shoulder articulation as its double jointed, and the deluxe also has a ball joint neck. The paint job is more animation accurate. The figure has no ratchets at all, and is a lot looser in the hips than the voyager. The blade gimmick is neat, but not as impressive as the voyager. The alt mode is nowhere near as impressive as the voyager(I'll be honest though, the vehicle modes in both don't impress me). Overall I like it because its like G1 Megatron in Animated style, combined influence from the animation model. Basically, if you want it as a substitute for the voyager you will be dissapointed. If you look at it not as a deluxe version of Cybertronian Megatron, but as G1 Megatron in animated style, you may like it, which I do. It lacks the good things that the voyager has(individually molded pieces as opposed to painted, better blade gimmick, ratchets all over the place, and an awesome gun design. I do like both, but for different reasons. I wouldn't want to choose one over the other simply because there are unique enough to appreciate on their own, and are good figures in their own right. Hope this helps.

It all depends on what you want out of it. If you are looking for just a smaller version of the voyager in a deluxe size, you will be dissapointed. Simplified is more like it. A lot of the details that are painted on the deluxe are actual molded pieces/parts on the voyager. The gun on the deluxe is a more g1-centric gun as opposed to the bfg that the voyager has. Articulation is better all around on the voyager with some exceptions; the deluxe has better shoulder articulation as its double jointed, and the deluxe also has a ball joint neck. The paint job is more animation accurate. The figure has no ratchets at all, and is a lot looser in the hips than the voyager. The blade gimmick is neat, but not as impressive as the voyager. The alt mode is nowhere near as impressive as the voyager(I'll be honest though, the vehicle modes in both don't impress me). Overall I like it because its like G1 Megatron in Animated style, combined influence from the animation model. Basically, if you want it as a substitute for the voyager you will be dissapointed. If you look at it not as a deluxe version of Cybertronian Megatron, but as G1 Megatron in animated style, you may like it, which I do. It lacks the good things that the voyager has(individually molded pieces as opposed to painted, better blade gimmick, ratchets all over the place, and an awesome gun design. I do like both, but for different reasons. I wouldn't want to choose one over the other simply because there are unique enough to appreciate on their own, and are good figures in their own right. Hope this helps.

Yeah, from your description, I'll like the Deluxe better anyway. I hate the blade gimmick period, and I like the cannon better on the deluxe. The ratchets on my Voyager are loose, and his legs pop off a lot. In any case, I'm not really looking for one to replace my Voyager, but to compliment it (just like I'll buy Voyager Earth mode Prime).

I took the plunge and am glad I did!

Transformers: Animated the show is the third best TF ever to grace TV (after G1 and Beast Wars). This is pretty much what I was EXPECTING when Armada was announced and FFIINNAAALLLYYY after the abysmal Unicron Trilogy we get something decent and fun.

As for the toys - got all of wave one - am delighted with them!

VFTF1

Essentially after reading this I went out looking for the two pack. When I saw Megatron was in G1 gray, it was a no-brainer purchase. Isn't the voyager more of a white-ish gray? Transformation is somewhat simple. It doesn't look like much, but ironically it does look better than the movie alt mode and even holds together better than it. The hip joints are way too loose on mine, which sounds like it's a common problem. It's difficult to get poses with the cannon. At least the arm joints are nice and tight.

Prime....I'm a little dissappointed in. Not that it's a bad figure, just that I'm feeling too much deja vu. I already have the cybertronian animated one, and this is almost exactly like it, only minus the excellent weapon integration into alt mode. Joints are tight on it, thankfully.

These are nice, but I think I spoiled myself by getting the cybertron Prime first. It really is that nice of a figure.

Essentially after reading this I went out looking for the two pack. When I saw Megatron was in G1 gray, it was a no-brainer purchase. Isn't the voyager more of a white-ish gray? Transformation is somewhat simple. It doesn't look like much, but ironically it does look better than the movie alt mode and even holds together better than it. The hip joints are way too loose on mine, which sounds like it's a common problem. It's difficult to get poses with the cannon. At least the arm joints are nice and tight.

Prime....I'm a little dissappointed in. Not that it's a bad figure, just that I'm feeling too much deja vu. I already have the cybertronian animated one, and this is almost exactly like it, only minus the excellent weapon integration into alt mode. Joints are tight on it, thankfully.

These are nice, but I think I spoiled myself by getting the cybertron Prime first. It really is that nice of a figure.

Yeah, I don't get this G1-gray thing. Maybe because my family was poor, and pretty much the only first-season toy I had was Sideswipe, so I never had a G1 Megatron toy. (Honestly, the G1 toy looks kinda crappy, but that might just be me). But I'd always thought of him as silver. Masterpiece Megatron is spot on, IMHO, and the cartoon and comics have always done that silver as white. So one of the things I really like better about Voyager Cybertron Megatron is that it's more of a silver white than the gray of the Deluxe.

With that in mind, yeah, Voyager Megatron is more detailed, and transforms better, and looks better in alt mode. But it seems like more of a display piece to me. Deluxe Megatron is by far more fun to play with. Indeed, my only real complaints are the battle damage paint, the fact that his face is showing in alt mode, and the aforementioned lose legs.

Deluxe Prime is pretty good, for a Deluxe. It does really make me long for the Voyager (but again, the Supreme figure doesn't look to good), but it's not bad. I agree, though, that Cybertron mode Deluxe Prime is better. They both have similar transformations, Earth mode has a cooler axe but Cybertron mode stores his better. Earth mode loses to Cybertron mode, though, because of the battle damage paint (again), the punching gimmick limits his posability and always leaves him with the hips turned slightly to the right of his chest, the fact that his legs have him kind of leaning forward, and the fact that he looks a little fat compared to Cybertron mode.

Now, as fans and toy connoisseurs, we're prone to cataloging the flaws we find, and that's okay, but I want to take a moment to stress that, despite their flaws, they're really good figures. Previous Transformers seemed to make a lot of concessions. G1 toys were spot on in vehicle mode but fell short of capturing the look of the animated bots. The movie toys had the same problem, combined with complicated transformations and automorphing gimmicks that have prevented me from playing with mine much for fear of breaking them. Energon and Cybertron toys looked like their animated counterparts, but their alt modes (to me, at least) looked more like folded up robots than trucks and planes and what not. The animated toys, though, have interesting but not too complicated transformations and totally capture the unique animation style in both modes. I might still prefer Classics/Universe for their updated take on classic G1 characters, but that's certainly no flaw of the Animated toys. And they're far and away better than even my favorite movie toys.

I picked up a Cybertron Prime and a Grimlock over the weekend and I'm very pleased with both of them. Prime has a little paint slop on the side of his face, but I guess i've gotten to the point where that kind of thing doesn't bother me much on a cheap toy, especially when the toy is as fantastic as this one. I do think the alt mode is a little uninteresting, but it's still attractive. Bot mode is truly great, as everyone has been saying. Lots of articulation, looks awesome in all kinds of poses, etc.

Grimlock is a hell of a lot of fun, and is easily my favorite Grimlock toy ever. The transformation is simple, basically the same as G1 Grimlock. There is something very satisfying about the way his torso slides up and clicks into place. Not sure why but it really made me smile. The articulation is good in both modes, although dino mode would benefit slightly from rotating dino arms. But they're just little atrophied things anyway I guess. Although his arms in bot mode have limited articulation it is still easy to get him into lots of great poses. He's one of those figures I can't figure out which mode to keep him in because they both look so great. The one thing I would have changed is for his head to be articulated at the neck so it can pivot up and down. It seems they left that out in favor of the jaw-chomping button. The jaw is fun (I'm fond of speaking to my wife through toys whenever I find one with a moving mouth, like Sweetums from the Muppet line) but I think I'd rather have the articulation.

Great, great toy line so far. Can't wait to pick up Jazz and Voyager Prime.

Edited by eriku

Yeah, I don't get this G1-gray thing.

Actually, the grey on the deluxe is more accurate to the animation model in the pilot movie. Its the voyager that is surprisingly inaccurate with its light grey.

The hip joints are way too loose on mine, which sounds like it's a common problem.

It is, and its dissapointing.

Joints are tight on it, thankfully.

Mine aren't the loosest, but definitely looser than the Cybertronian version, mainly on the shoulders. The shoulders on my Cybertronian one are super tight! Thankfully nothing is floppy on mine. I'm feeling the G1 color scheme and homage on the 2pack one.

Oh it definitely is. I've bought some impressive deluxes during the end of the movie line, such as Landmine and Stealth Bumblebee, but Cybertronian Prime is one of the best I have bought in a long while. I had no idea I would feel this way after I saw the SDCC pics last year(I was impressed then, looked forward to the toy, but blown away after opening it).

Isn't the voyager more of a white-ish gray?

Yes

I like the cannon better on the deluxe.

I wish it was longer towards the barrel as opposed to the back. I actually dig the blade that the deluxe one has, it seems like it can be used as a bayonet.

The ratchets on my Voyager are loose, and his legs pop off a lot.

That sucks, sorry to hear man.

Earth mode loses to Cybertron mode, though, because of the battle damage paint (again), the punching gimmick limits his posability and always leaves him with the hips turned slightly to the right of his chest

Actually both that and Cybertronian deluxe Megatron's hips can be twisted into the right position, they have detents/ratchets, so they can be twisted to any side, or kept neutral. I thought I was breaking mine at first, till I realized its meant to be twisted either way.

Grimlock is a hell of a lot of fun, and is easily my favorite Grimlock toy ever.

I don't have the G1 version, but have Animated, Binaltech, and Classics. Animated is my favorite one too. The Classics one as a figure just comes up short, its lack of locking chest/waist/ab section, its questionable weaponry, the skinny limbs, and the loose hips make it an inferior figure.

I was watching the DVD that came with the two-pack (essentially, the first episode, but just the part 1, not the whole thing), and I was pretty shocked to see that, while Prime's toys are fairly accurate, minus a few details, that Megatron's Cybertron alt-mode is way off. The most glaring difference is that, like his Earth mode, he carries his Fusion Cannon underneath and pointed outward. The other differences are small and easy to overlook, but I can't help but wonder why they decided to mold the cockpit to the Fusion Cannon and stick the cannon on top of the toy. Not only is it an inaccurate alt mode, but throws off the look of the cannon in bot mode. From the looks of the cartoon, they'd have been better off having the cockpit as a sort of back pack (like his earth mode), that would pull up and over his head, fold the legs up, have the arms make the tail, and peg the cannon to his butt.

But what do I know, anyway?

I don't have the G1 version, but have Animated, Binaltech, and Classics. Animated is my favorite one too. The Classics one as a figure just comes up short, its lack of locking chest/waist/ab section, its questionable weaponry, the skinny limbs, and the loose hips make it an inferior figure.

I really wanted to like Classics Grimlock but I actually think it's the weakest/worst figure in the entire Classics line. I think he looks particularly bad from the waist down. It's still looks a lot better than that Energon version, though.

I just noticed on the box that it says "Detachable Flame Breath" indicating the sword. Was part of the sword originally meant to plug into Grimlock's mouth I wonder?

I forgot to mention that I bought Grimlock from TARGET. They had an end cap with nothing but Grimlocks, Lugnuts and movie Starscreams on it. Didin't see any other Animated voyagers or any Animated basics, but Target is officially putting Animated toys out now. B))

I just noticed on the box that it says "Detachable Flame Breath" indicating the sword. Was part of the sword originally meant to plug into Grimlock's mouth I wonder?

Thats the exact same thing I was wondering when the first test shots were being reviewed at tfw2005. Peaugh showed what the sword looked like in the mouth, and it didn't look like it was supposed to be in there. I tried it on mine and reached the same conclusion.

The Animated toys are flying off the shelves over here. I've been trying to find another Prowl and Bumblebee for the kiddies, but the stores that had em are either completely sold out or just have a bunch of Ratchets, Blackarachnias, and a smattering of Lockdowns. And still no voyager Prime :( .

So far the line leaves me with little to complain about. It makes me wonder if the JP releases are going to have enhancements like the figures from Classics 1.0.

Edited by Valkyrie Hunter D

I personally would say that I prefer Animated to Classics.

Classics redoes G1 in a Unicron Trylogy aesthetic - but I hate the Unicron trilogy aesthetic.

For instance - I far prefer Animated Bumblebee to Classics Bumblebee...

I think the Animated figures have more expression; there's more character to them.

Anyways - can't wait for Wave 02 and beyond to finally show up in Europe!!

VFTF1

I agree that the animated are better than classics as toys. But the cartoony *look of them I'm not as into. (that doesn't mean that it isn't quality, just that I'm a fan of serious looking robots) But overall hasbro/takara are doing a great job making them look like the people in the toon.

The good thing is: it is as if the toon is aimed/trying to appeal to people who were fans of g1 a lot with all the little homages to it. They know there are fans of the older series and I look forward to seeing each episode because the story is interesting to me. Even if I wasn't into the toys I would care about watching the show.

*It's a bit like how when the batman animated series in the 90s first came out, I couldn't get used to the look of the stylised proportions of the character. IE the square jawed hero with broad shoulders and wide chest. I still have that same feeling when I see prime like that with weird proportions - I liked the way x-men animated toon just left the characters with normal bodies. Sure sure, there is less expressiveness to them, but you take them more seriously as well. Over time I got used to it, but still not necessarily preferring it to a normal figure. So although it's the trend to do it like that (see the star wars clone wars cartoon for example) I don't think it not being drawn that way is going to make it any more worse for fans of the show.