Battlestar Galactica Discussion III

Eh. It's still $200 I'd have to fork out up front, as opposed to the spread-out paying of the season sets, and I would've had to have waited this long to watch the series on DVD at my leisure. Let the ultra-freaks buy that box set. That thing better come with your own programmable 6 hallucination or something...

Buy it on credit. Spread it out over time. I'm upgrading to Blu Ray on this. I didn't even bother buying the season four DVD's at all this time.

Walmart online has the Blu-ray set for $199.

Deep Discount has it for $219 but has a 25% discount code (HIDEFDIGEST) which brings it to $165. Cheapest I've seen it yet.

I'm getting the blu-ray boxset, got it from Amazon because I had around 180 dollars worth of credit with them...

I got mine from Amazon too. I had gift cards so it was a no brainer.

It's down to 150 at DD. I'm so tempted to get it but what's the reviews on the BluRay transfer quality?

I've only seen one review and it was glowing.

I want to know if they finally re-did the transfer to the mini series, both the DVD and HD-DVD releases of that were horrible, the simulated "grain" looking more like static.

Got the blu-ray box set today

Quick impression... FRAK YEAH. The opening sequence of the mini series was nearly unwatchable with so much static and pop (the so called simulated film grain) on both the DVD and HD-DVD releases... thankfully that's been cleaned up and it actually looks like film grain (more or less, as much as digital film grain effect can look like film grain). Video and sound are great, it's a worthy upgrade to the DVD's for anyone on the fence about upgrading.

The box set comes with a toaster too, decent sculpt and posability...

_DSC6147.jpg

Quick impression... FRAK YEAH. The opening sequence of the mini series was nearly unwatchable with so much static and pop (the so called simulated film grain) on both the DVD and HD-DVD releases... thankfully that's been cleaned up and it actually looks like film grain (more or less, as much as digital film grain effect can look like film grain). Video and sound are great, it's a worthy upgrade to the DVD's for anyone on the fence about upgrading.

_DSC6147.jpg

The mini-series was actually shot on film....only the series was shot on HD Video.

_DSC6147.jpg

Reading up reviews on the set itself, is it true they used cardboard sleeves for the disc's? If so, what the hell were they thinking?? Blade Runner fit nicely into a 5 disc single sized case, and I can't imagine there's a shortage of those. Hopefully the show will be eventually repackaged in a more space & scratch-resistent friendly packaging.

Reading up reviews on the set itself, is it true they used cardboard sleeves for the disc's? If so, what the hell were they thinking?? Blade Runner fit nicely into a 5 disc single sized case, and I can't imagine there's a shortage of those. Hopefully the show will be eventually repackaged in a more space & scratch-resistent friendly packaging.

yeah, they're packaged in cardboard sleeves.. I agree it's a boneheaded move.

The mini-series was actually shot on film....only the series was shot on HD Video.

Huh, you're right... which makes the DVD and HD-DVD all that much worse. That opening sequence in the space station borders on unwatchable with the amount of static and pop on the previous formats.

Edited by eugimon

yeah, they're packaged in cardboard sleeves.. I agree it's a boneheaded move.

Huh, you're right... which makes the DVD and HD-DVD all that much worse. That opening sequence in the space station borders on unwatchable with the amount of static and pop on the previous formats.

Yeah, they were bad. Still haven't received my set yet. There are some boxes at the post office though so I'm presuming that's one of them. Can't wait to see the improvement on the miniseries.

• 2 months later...

Anybody else watched "The Plan"?

The Cylon Plan is... What plan?

Mostly its about Cavil and his micro-managing of the Skinjobs.

Doral/Five got me thinking of the video "We were Centurions".

The bulk of the Colonial fleet on Caprica were Valkyrie battlestar types.

Plus the Basestars show something they didn't do in the series. They can rotate and become arrows for atmospheric entry.

As for the Colony it was shown at the beginning with the Cylon fleet. No classic basestars I'm sorry to say.

Anybody else watched "The Plan"?

The Cylon Plan is... What plan?

Mostly its about Cavil and his micro-managing of the Skinjobs.

Doral/Five got me thinking of the video "We were Centurions".

The bulk of the Colonial fleet on Caprica were Valkyrie battlestar types.

Plus the Basestars show something they didn't do in the series. They can rotate and become arrows for atmospheric entry.

As for the Colony it was shown at the beginning with the Cylon fleet. No classic basestars I'm sorry to say.

It was nice to see the Pegasus again. :)

Probably missed it due to newborn craziness. I'll have to check if my DVR caught it... So was the plan as haphazard as it seemed?

Cavil centric with scheming on killing the humans of the fleet. Picture Cavil as RDM as he was writing the series.

Which was pretty much... Wait... Wha..? That's the Plan?

Cavil centric with scheming on killing the humans of the fleet. Picture Cavil as RDM as he was writing the series.

Which was pretty much... Wait... Wha..? That's the Plan?

So cue a long wait to see it in the U.K or fire up the torrent engine until it comes out on DVD/Blueray.

I don't think it even aired yet. I downloaded it but haven't watched more than a few minutes of it due to my boneheaded roomate starting the series on season 4 and crying about not knowing what was going on earlier in the series.

From what is shown in the bar, it'll be cut to all hell on tv for rating purposes. Mmmm.

Boobs.

Wait for the dvd or Blu-Ray.

Saw it last night. I enjoyed it, but some of the company I was in didn't so much

I think part of the issue is whether or not you think

The Plan will irrevocably alter the storyline as you remember it. In this film, it is shown that the #1 model (Brother Cavil, etc.) is the mastermind and driving force behind the cylon plan to destroy humanity. However, as he was the only one who knew the identity of the final five, his plan also involved them in a way not originally hinted at in the series. Some of the people I was with didn't care for the #1-centric storyline.

I agree. I'm a huge fan of the show but this really felt like a collection of cut scenes.

I know right? I was expecting so much more. It's too bad.

Not sold on Caprica yet. But I'll watch it.

There is talks of another BSG movie. Wonder what they're going to possibly do that hasn't already been done.

My wife said one of the Battlestars was called Valkyrie. I missed that. Will have to watch it again.

Edited by mospeadamacrosstech

The other BSG movie, at least in terms of what I've heard takes place with the original series canon and not the Ron Moore BSG.

edward james olmos has talked about another movie set on earth with the full cast,, so who knows. If it's gonna be like The Plan, I'd rather they didn't.

Getting some insight into the Brother Cavils was interesting and all but it was just kinda meh.