Aircraft Vs Thread 5

Heh, F-35 is going to join the lonely Hornet soon. Unless all those released specs are bullcrap.

Heh I suspect that the F-35 is speed limited not by the amount of thrust but maybe by temperature, or maybe doctrinal restrictions. It has more than twice the thrust of the hornet, afterall.

Otoh the US and LM are desperately trying to get more orders for the F-35 worldwide so I see no reason for them to downplay the capabilities of the aircraft.

I just watched Battle of the X Planes yesterday (a great 2 hrs!) and I am well convinced that the X-35 was the better plane that won the competition.

Between the Rafale and the Typhoon, I think the Rafale has the advantage (and disadvantage) of being more mature-- it's systems are fully integrated, it has full A2A and A2G capability, but probably less growth potential. The Typhoon, on the other hand, is still missing half of its projected capabilities, though it will get them eventually if the money (and demand) is there. (Note that for Singapore's NGF competition, the last two finalists were the F-15 and the Rafale, even though the Typhoon excelled at A2A combat)

Actually, I kinda liked the X-32 as well... mainly because it DIDN'T look like a 'cheap' F-22 rip-off. The gaping jaw config reminded me of the old A7 Corsair... just 'stealth-ified' for today's need. No doubt, it would've been a harder sell to overseas partners because of it looks if nothing else.

@Retracting Head Ter Ter: I nearly fell for that... Nearly!

I'm probably the only person who prefers the look of the X-32 over the X-35. It's ugly yes, but looks menacing IMO, like a shark.

Graham

Menacing... like a mother protecting its young.

post-10165-1238555323_thumb.jpg

Edited by shiroikaze

Perhaps India might buy the Rafale? Provided they get that carrier finished by the Russians...

I would guess sales of Rafale was hurt by having 2 competing delta canard fighters and the availability of cheap F-16s.

But fighter have to be specially configured to fly off a Russian type Carrier since they don't use a catapult. They Need over clocked engines, and stronger main landing gears. The Russians are not going to give any advise to France so they could compete against them.

Well, the P-38, SR-71 and F-111/14 and B-2 did indicate otherwise.

But c'mon, comparing that bullfrog head grafted to a guppy body lump to the beautific YF-23 ain't fair!

Yea, but the SR-71 and B-2 and F-111 were not designed as air superiority fighters, and the F-14 wasn't exotic by the time it came out and it was for the Navy anyway. The P-38 can be the exception that proves the rule :p

Actually the X-32 impresses the engineer in me for it's pure engineering elegance, but it obviously doesn't win points in the looks department-- not to mention that the proposed production fighter would have lost the Pelikan tail and the pure delta wing.

Maybe the rule should be-- Pelikan tail = FAIL for manned fighters :p

Edited by edwin3060

Menacing... like a mother protecting its young.

I've been looking for that pic for a week now, thanks.

Well, the P-38, SR-71 and F-111/14 and B-2 did indicate otherwise.

Yea, but the SR-71 and B-2 and F-111 were not designed as air superiority fighters, and the F-14 wasn't exotic by the time it came out and it was for the Navy anyway. The P-38 can be the exception that proves the rule :p

Actually the X-32 impresses the engineer in me for it's pure engineering elegance, but it obviously doesn't win points in the looks department-- not to mention that the proposed production fighter would have lost the Pelikan tail and the pure delta wing.

Maybe the rule should be-- Pelikan tail = FAIL for manned fighters :p

the rule is that exotic+Boeing=fail; now Lockheed can pull of exotic.

anyways, I dislike both JSF designs, but I actually think the production version of the X-32 would have looked cool (better than the F-35 anyways).

the conventional tails, and the intake slanted back rather tan forward helps a lot.

I actually like the Pelikan tail of the X-32--- if you are going for the weird look, might as well go all the way! Look how well the YF-23 pulled that off---even though it lost the competition, it won the hearts of many aviation enthusiasts, including SK, who was inspired to create the YF-21!

And the US Navy! "F-32 Sailor-Sucker II"

I don't think it would be the 2nd one.

A-6 Intruder

EA-6B Prowler

F-8 Crusader

A-7 Corsair II

I think it would be "F-32 Super Sailor Sucker V"

Funny thing to consider is that I don't really recall F-14's having a rep for sucking in Flight Deck crewmen. A bit surprising considering how big the intakes and engines are.

I figure the angle helps the Tomcat--you can't walk RIGHT in front of the intake---the lip forces you a bit away. Every foot makes a difference.

Anyways---the "new" Su-35 seems to have eliminated its dorsal airbrake in favor of a digital one--check the rudder deflection: http://www.sukhoi.org/img/gallery/wallpape...35/_SPS1828.jpg

Strange there's no other deflection though---I don't think rudders alone would equal the dorsal brake. The Shornet and Raptor have 2 movable surfaces on each wing, and can thus balance each other out--the Flanker only has one per wing, so that may be an issue.

And just a really cool belly pic of it:

http://www.sukhoi.org/img/gallery/wallpape...35/_SPS1805.jpg

Strange there's no other deflection though---I don't think rudders alone would equal the dorsal brake. The Shornet and Raptor have 2 movable surfaces on each wing, and can thus balance each other out--the Flanker only has one per wing, so that may be an issue.

Who needs airbrakes when you can pull a "Cobra" instead? :lol:

Maybe Crazy Ivan can even do it gears down!

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

Airbrakes are definitely more useful than the cobra maneuver IMO. Not only during combat, but during landing as well! Otoh, the flaperons and horizontal stabilisers can be used on landing. Hmm.. I wonder what they put in place of the airbrake... more fuel? Avionics?

I hope 187 (-1 that crashed recently) Raptors are enough

Among the major changes Gates is proposing in the Defense Department's 2010 budget are ending production of Lockheed Martin Corp.'s F-22 Raptor at 187 jets, effectively shutting the door on the Air Force's desire for more of the advanced jets. Mr. Gates said funding for another Lockheed program, the F-35 Lightning, or Joint Strike Fighter, will be increased in 2010 to $11.2 billion, which will now buy 30 jets, up from 14.

funny the airforce is getting more c-17s they dont want c-17s, they want raptors.

Edited by buddhafabio

Would they be able to get a lot of extra range out of the fuel they can put in that airbrake space?

No, but every bit helps. Even a 20 mile increase in combat radius is considered "worth mentioning/doing".

From the news: the Dutch government is going to sign an agreement before the end of april for the purchase of two test F-35s and when that happens it will be certain that 85 F-35s will replace the remaining F-16AM.

Till recently Saabs Grippen had a chance, but the airforce and the ministry of defence strongly opposed the Swedish plane. There is strong public opposition to the plans and parlement is investigating misinformation charges about costs but its very likely that the purchase will continue.

Wonder if it will turn into the Starfighter II instead of Lightning II...

Boo... although it is true that the C-17s are arguably more important to the air force now than F-22s, it is still sad to think that the production line will be shut down so soon (and after so little use). Gates is also pushing for having only 10 CVBGs instead of 11-- looks like both American air and naval air power will be degraded.

On a brighter note, what does the acceleration of the F-35 programme do for the F-35C? Any chance that we will see it sooner?

I'm inclined to agree with some of Gate's proposed cut-back, or at least until the government reduces the red on the bottom line or start producing surpluses again. In a campaign, say in Afghanistan/Pakistan border, an extra F-22 will do nothing. The focus is on intelligence, special operations (where an un-maned drone will come in more handy than an omg5thgenfighter), and of course diplomacy.

As for deterring China or a resurgent Russia, that's not really a factor. The Raptor is still the only 5th gen in service, whereas the Russian & Chinese response to the raptor are still a few years away.

I hope 187 (-1 that crashed recently) Raptors are enough

funny the airforce is getting more c-17s they dont want c-17s, they want raptors.

The USAF may not like C-17's, but the military needs them if they want to maintain their hold on MAC. Their airlift capability is aging badly, just like their air tanker assets. But these aspects of aviation aren't as glorious and sexy as fighters, so these have been on the backburner since at least the 90s.

I'd almost say this would be a time to let up on the ban to sell the F-22, to allies like Israel and Japan. I can understand the need to meet defense demands in regions of current conflict like Afghanistan. The F-22 is simply not needed in such regions. I do however hope that production is resumed in the future when the finances are there. It's still a shame that more people will lose their jobs if the production line is cut. :(

So the Air Force is replacing the C-5 with the C-17. I take it they intend to keep the 130 in service still for years to come? I hope that is the case atleast.

Edited by Shadow

BTW, what are the NATO reporting names for the J-10 and JF-17?

NATO/ASIC(used to be ASCC) names are in principal classified except ones that get leaked. The names for the J-10 and JF-17 are not in any list I know of. Don't think they are publically know yet.