The Xbox 360 Thread Pro Edition

placed an order for the new slim. Will be trading in my old 360 for it. Don't really care about the other stuff but "quieter" has me sold.

Got to hear and see the new one. It's slightly quieter...not "whisper" quiet as MS says, and not as quiet as a PS3 either. But the disc drive is still noisy. In fact, it sounds the same if not louder. :(

I don't know why people are calling it "slim"....it's more like..."short". :) they just chopped a couple inches off the side (or top if vertical. Still has a power brick too, but it is slightly smaller.

And the internal HDD is removable but proprietary...I suppose you can crack the casing open, but seriously...

Edited by Gaijin

Got to hear and see the new one. It's slightly quieter...not "whisper" quiet as MS says, and not as quiet as a PS3 either. But the disc drive is still noisy. In fact, it sounds the same if not louder. :(

I don't know why people are calling it "slim"....it's more like..."short". :) they just chopped a couple inches off the side (or top if vertical. Still has a power brick too, but it is slightly smaller.

And the internal HDD is removable but proprietary...I suppose you can crack the casing open, but seriously...

well, nowadays I put all the games on the HDD so I don't really care about the drive noise. But I get how that's an issue for other people. There's really no excuse for it other than MS is still using cheap components.

well, nowadays I put all the games on the HDD so I don't really care about the drive noise. But I get how that's an issue for other people. There's really no excuse for it other than MS is still using cheap components.

SHould have no problem if you install, but you'd think by now they'd have solved some things especially since they are pushing a re-design.

SHould have no problem if you install, but you'd think by now they'd have solved some things especially since they are pushing a re-design.

yeah. if MS as a company has a philosophy problem it's their constant willingness to settle for 'good enough'.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I now know why I keep being dumped from XBox Live. The wireless adapters Microsoft makes totally sucks (we even have the twin antennae version). Whenever the antenna's bandwith received exceeds a certain point, the XBox 360 dumps the i.p. address, and I have to shut off and restart the console. I hope Microsoft makes a better adapter, because I'm getting rather sick and tired of being dumped mid Halo Reach match.

Might as well ask here...

Anyone has hit a problem with their Xbox Live connection? Mine kept complaining the MTU is too short. I'm on an Azteck router along with this PC, which manages to send packets with MTUs longer than what is stated over the same router. For some reason Xbox just refuses to connect. Anyone has a solution?

My brother wants to play his XBox copies of SW: KotOR 1 and 2 on his 360. Can he still download the XBox emulator off of XBox Live?

I thought all 360s could play original Xbox games right off the bat.

I thought all 360s could play original Xbox games right off the bat.

I just found out that is does, but the console automaticly downloads the emulator when you boot the disk. My brother decided to delete both files because he thought that was the reason why we kept getting booted off of XBox Live (until I found out and told him about the wireless adapter sucking, that is). Edited by Wanzerfan

I just found out that is does, but the console automaticly downloads the emulator when you boot the disk. My brother decided to delete both files because he thought that was the reason why we kept getting booted off of XBox Live (until I found out and told him about the wireless adapter sucking, that is).

Hmm, I didn't know that it actually downloaded the emulator. I thought it was there from the get-go. Interesting stuff. And yeah...their wireless adapters sure do blow chunks. I bought a single antenna adapter a couple years back and it gave me nothing but problems. I thought I had bought a lemon but it appears it's more common than not. It's absurd that the piece of crap was $100 too. I've long given up on playing anything on my 360 wirelessly. Though, I've read that the new kinect ready 360s have a built-in IEEE 802.11n...who knows if they're any good though.

• 1 month later...

My brother is on his second xbox 360 which has now got the red ring of death, his first xbox also suffered from it, which lasted only six months before exchanging it for his second. He's had the 2nd one for four years now. Other than buying a new xbox 360, have they found out what causes this and if there's a fix for it?

Edited by kung flu

The 3ROD is caused by the 360's motherboard warping due to excessive heat. IMO, all older 360's will eventually succumb to the 3ROD, but how long these old 360's will last depends on how well the motherboard was manufactured, how much play time the 360 is exposed to, and the environment the 360 is kept in. Unfortunately there's no easy fix for those old systems; they usually involve disassembling the 360 and reinforcing the motherboard or replacing the internal cooling system altogether with a custom and more powerful system. And sometimes these fixes aren't even enough.

The good news is that 360's manufactured since the last quarter of 2009 have new motherboards (called Jasper) that don't generate enough heat to warp the motherboard. Since these can now be found for pretty cheap, I'd recommend buying one just to have a peace of mind knowing that there's very little chance of getting the dreaded 3ROD.

The 3ROD is caused by the 360's motherboard warping due to excessive heat. IMO, all older 360's will eventually succumb to the 3ROD, but how long these old 360's will last depends on how well the motherboard was manufactured, how much play time the 360 is exposed to, and the environment the 360 is kept in. Unfortunately there's no easy fix for those old systems; they usually involve disassembling the 360 and reinforcing the motherboard or replacing the internal cooling system altogether with a custom and more powerful system. And sometimes these fixes aren't even enough.

The good news is that 360's manufactured since the last quarter of 2009 have new motherboards (called Jasper) that don't generate enough heat to warp the motherboard. Since these can now be found for pretty cheap, I'd recommend buying one just to have a peace of mind knowing that there's very little chance of getting the dreaded 3ROD.

Everything he said, except... The RROD is usually caused by tiny cracks in the CPU and GPU connections. The material used for those connections was not tested properly against repeated heating/cooling. Once the problem occurs, any fixes are temporary.

I sent in my 360 a few weeks ago because of the RROD. It was only in the repair shop for less than 24 hours and it worked when I received it - but who knows how long that will last. Is there anyway that I can tell what kind of repair they performed? A day in the repair shop doesn't really allow for much unless they just took out EVERYTHING inside and put the new motherboard in. It's the same serial #, too, so it isn't a new or refurbished console. It's the one I sent in.

But I'm a sucker so I went out and bought the 250 gb slim holiday package and the 2 year best buy warranty so I don't have to worry about Microsoft's crap if I want my console repaired. I'd rather have a brand new one if this one craps out than have my original one sent back after one day of repair. Plus that 250 gb hard drive will come in handy.

wow, i just tried that hot towel trick thats been going around the internet, it actually works, the 360 is back to normal, though it's only ment to be a temporary solution, i'm surprised it works. I didn't really use any towels though. Initially i opened up the Xbox intending to strip it and flog the pieces, but then i decided to unplug the internal cooling fan and let it cook for 5 mins. 3 red lights turned to 2 lights, then i switched it off, plugged the fan back in, let it cool down, switched it on and everything is back to normal.

• 4 months later...

A warning to all members who have the Caravan Pack installed in your Fallout New Vegas game.

It seems that some douche-bag over at Bethesda really put his foot into it with the last update for Fallout New Vegas for the XBox 360. This latest update removed the Caravan Pack from your game data. When my brother tried to load his data after updating, his game save files got corrupted, and he has to start all over!!! Hopefully the next update will rectify this situation and put the Caravan Pack back into the game.

Looks like I'm going to have to start a new game in the meantime (and I liked the lightweight Leather Armor, too).

Can't you just contact them to see if they can uncorrupt you file?

I think my brother's already deleted his corrupted files. Besides, the files that were corrupted were Caravan Pack files, they might get corrupted again.

Like I said, I haven't played New Vegas since before the latest update. If I do decide to start playing again, it won't be with the Caravan Pack save files until said pack is restored.

I think my brother's already deleted his corrupted files. Besides, the files that were corrupted were Caravan Pack files, they might get corrupted again.

Like I said, I haven't played New Vegas since before the latest update. If I do decide to start playing again, it won't be with the Caravan Pack save files until said pack is restored.

Still haven't finished new vegas. the story was meh.

• 3 years later...

Time to resurrect my old thread. Maybe it's time for an Xbone thread...

Anyway I was curious if anyone here still has/plays the 360 version of Battlefield 3. I've wrapped up all the achievements except the most difficult one "Bullseye". "Bullseye" is the one on the Drop 'em Like Liquid stage in co-op where your team goes through without alerting any of the bad guys. The huge problem is trying to find anyone that is willing or component enough to do this.

If anyone wants to help, let me know. I plan on getting rid of the game in about a week unless I can get help.

Time to resurrect my old thread. Maybe it's time for an Xbone thread...

Anyway I was curious if anyone here still has/plays the 360 version of Battlefield 3. I've wrapped up all the achievements except the most difficult one "Bullseye". "Bullseye" is the one on the Drop 'em Like Liquid stage in co-op where your team goes through without alerting any of the bad guys. The huge problem is trying to find anyone that is willing or component enough to do this.

If anyone wants to help, let me know. I plan on getting rid of the game in about a week unless I can get help.

Sorry, AL. I haven't even turned on my 360 since around Thanksgiving, and that was just because I took Rock Band to a party. And now that they've announced a next-gen Rock Band 4 with their intention to port all my songs to the Xbox One, my 360 might be finding it's way to the Closet of Forgotten Consoles with my Wii, PS2, and Dreamcast.

Sorry, AL. I haven't even turned on my 360 since around Thanksgiving, and that was just because I took Rock Band to a party. And now that they've announced a next-gen Rock Band 4 with their intention to port all my songs to the Xbox One, my 360 might be finding it's way to the Closet of Forgotten Consoles with my Wii, PS2, and Dreamcast.

Definitely stoked about Rock Band making the current gen with most or all of our old songs transfering over. But still I definitely have a lot of fondess for the 360 and have quite a few 360 games I am still whittling away at, including achievements in the first Rock Band (yep 7+ years later).

• 3 months later...

Thread Nemocracy

I saw a video on the dashboard about backward compatibility. I'll look for an article.

Also 30 years of RARE Collection

Rare Replay for $29.99

• Atic Atac
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Banjo-Tooie
  • Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
  • Battletoads
  • Battletoads Arcade
  • Blast Corps
  • Cobra Triangle
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day
  • Digger T. Rock