The Xbox 360 Thread Pro Edition

• 4 months later...

"Quieter" doesn't mean quiet... (nope, I will never stop complaining about 360 noise)

Plus---original hard drives won't fit? Boo-urns! Boo-urns!

Original hard drives won't fit, but early reports are saying that the new 360 uses a standard 2.5" SATA drive, ala the PS3.

Actually, if you bust out the ol' Torx screwdriver and open up a 360 HDD casing, isn't it a standard SATA drive inside? Maybe, with a bit of surgery, you CAN use your original hard drive...

If I still had Old Launchy, I'd seriously be considering a purchase of the new 360 as an upgrade. I know some people hate it (one of the blogs I was reading described it as if the VAIO people designed a Wii), but I'm seriously digging it. But Old Launchy passed away in... what was it, March? April? In any case, I wound up buying the Elite bundle with Forza 3 and Halo ODST. Kinda hard to justify buying another one already.

Original hard drives won't fit, but early reports are saying that the new 360 uses a standard 2.5" SATA drive, ala the PS3.

The "new" 360 HDD's are still proprietary ones. They might have a 2.5" drive inside, but you can't just swap them with any standard ones.

The "new" 360 HDD's are still proprietary ones. They might have a 2.5" drive inside, but you can't just swap them with any standard ones.

Physically proprietary, or is it merely a matter of formatting like with the current drives. You can open the enclosure and swap the drive out, but getting it to work without ghosting an existing 360 drive onto it was impossible last I heard(which was admittedly quite a while back, but I doubt the situation's changed since it'd be big news).

I finally got my 360 back. Yay!

I just sent mine out last week. Boo!

2nd time getting RROD. Once on a 2nd batch version, and now with a newer HDMI version. So they'll send it back to me, it'll last 2 years tops, then RROD me all over again. Meanwhile, I've got a Sega Master System that still works!

I just sent mine out last week. Boo!

2nd time getting RROD. Once on a 2nd batch version, and now with a newer HDMI version. So they'll send it back to me, it'll last 2 years tops, then RROD me all over again. Meanwhile, I've got a Sega Master System that still works!

I've had mine for nearly 3 years and it's fine. It's also not that loud and I've still got more than 85GB of free space on the 120GB hard drive it came with. ^_^

Edited by anime52k8

Well for all those who are having issues with your xbox 360 your now in luck. The new model of the 360 is now being sold in stores today. It feature's a built in 250gb hard drive and built in WI-FI support. The hardware has been totally revamped too to insure your system will never red ring or overheat even after 5 straight years of use.

The exterior design of the new system has been slimmed down as well and this time it it runs quieter than before. If you have the money to spare I suggest you invest in it so you wont have anymore issues in the future.

Heres a link for more info.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360250GBconsole/

The hardware has been totally revamped too to insure your system will never red ring

That's right! No more RRoD! If you buy the new "slim" 360, you are guaranteed to NEVER have to face a blinking red light!

...because when they revamped the hardware, they left out the red LEDs.

pretty cool, but it is too early to tell if the whole system is gonna be a success

what worries me the most is the very limited movement that the demonstrator actually makes when

he interacts with the game. Kind of reminds me of the horrors that was the eyetoy on the ps2.

-Archer

That's right! No more RRoD! If you buy the new "slim" 360, you are guaranteed to NEVER have to face a blinking red light!

...because when they revamped the hardware, they left out the red LEDs.

From what I heard, you will ONLY face A blinking red light, because all errors are represented by the red power switch logo.

But we shall always remember the Crimson Pacman in our hearts!

At least now it knows it's suffocating to death. :)

Anyone use Netflix for the Xbox. Is there a better interface where i can type in a name of a movie to search for? or am I stuck with what the dashboard says?

will see what the ps3 is like before i break down and spend money on a roku box.

It DOES have a red LED. Right in the middle. RDOD---red dot of death.

[pic]

[pic]

:blink: Oh man! That means that the MS's claims of changing out the hardware entirely are exaggerated. Shame shame shame...

Also, had such a safety measure been used from the beginning, we probably wouldn't know what RROD is. Better, yes, but the problem (solder points that can't handle the GPU's normal operating temperature) is apparently still present.

:blink: Oh man! That means that the MS's claims of changing out the hardware entirely are exaggerated. Shame shame shame...

Also, had such a safety measure been used from the beginning, we probably wouldn't know what RROD is. Better, yes, but the problem (solder points that can't handle the GPU's normal operating temperature) is apparently still present.

Can anyone even say definitively what's causing the problem? I understand it's the connection between the GPU/CPU and the motherboard failing, but I've heard about a half dozen explanations as to why (solder itself failing, the CPU/GPU heating up and expanding, the Motherboard heating and expanding, the brackets that hold down the heat sinks expanding and bending the motherboard,etc.)

:edit:

in any event, my 360 soldiers on :D

Edited by anime52k8

Yes, because you could tell all of that from two pictures?

Oh wait, I forgot what forum I'm on. Continue panicking.

I never understood why the RROD thing was such a big deal. Yeah, it was inconvenient, but Microsoft took care of the problem if you weren't a dumba$$, even years after the fact. I had a launch day Core model that RROD'd after a couple years (playing the Lost Planet demo), I ended up buying an Elite at the time and then only a year ago sent it back through Microsoft's completely automated system even though I had never registered the thing to begin with. They fixed it, didn't charge me a dime, and even sent me a XBL card for my troubles.

Cause it's a PITA. Why should you have to go through that hassle? If you are going to go through with it, they should give something to the customers inconvenienced by their crappy design.

They're not alone, of course (The PS3 has the YLOD, but at rates much lower than the 360's)... most consumer electronics these days is just junk. Try finding an HDTV from ANY brand in AVSForum that doesn't have a giant list of complaints and failures. The 360, unfortunately, was rushed to market with a crappy error prone design, because they wanted to beat Sony to market.

anyhow, Gamestop has a great trade in offer and I'm probably going to turn my old 360 (pro + hdd+ wifi-g + 1 game or two) for the new one (built in wireless N rocks!)

Yes, because you could tell all of that from two pictures?

Oh wait, I forgot what forum I'm on. Continue panicking.

I never understood why the RROD thing was such a big deal. Yeah, it was inconvenient, but Microsoft took care of the problem if you weren't a dumba$, even years after the fact. I had a launch day Core model that RROD'd after a couple years (playing the Lost Planet demo), I ended up buying an Elite at the time and then only a year ago sent it back through Microsoft's completely automated system even though I had never registered the thing to begin with. They fixed it, didn't charge me a dime, and even sent me a XBL card for my troubles.

Who's panicking? Never planned on getting a slim. My 2 bricked 360's can keep eachother company just fine.

And RROD is a big deal because of the inconvenience and futility of sending them off to Microsoft for refurbishing. Every 360 owner I know got it. Those that sent theirs in for repairs eventually got it again. That makes the failure rate in my circle of friends, relatives and acquaintances 100%. At three to four hundred dollars a clip, I assure you that is not what we paid for.

I understand nobody wants to hear negative things, but dismissive though some may be, these things still exist. I literally own stock in the company and have a vested interest in Microsoft getting its act together. Sue me.

Meh. I had a launch day system that RRoD-ed on me like a month or so ago. I replaced it with a 120GB Elite. I guess I'd be more mad, but I got nearly five years out of the unit, and it's not like it's the first console to die on me. I had two PlayStations, two PS2s, and three Dreamcasts.

At least the new 360 seems to know when it's overheating and shuts itself down proactively.

That makes the failure rate in my circle of friends, relatives and acquaintances 100%.

well in my circle of friends the failure rate has been exactly 0.00% so I guess it all evens out doesn't it :D

I haven't heard anything about data transfer---is there a transfer cable for old 360 to new 360, much like there is for the 20GB to 100+ GB drive? I mean, I am *NOT* going to give up all my Mass Effect saves, etc.

I believe you can save via USB thumb drive.

Hmmmn. For normal "switching around" of 360 saves etc, a lot of files are "move only", and some aren't movable at all---Namco tends to like the latter. Namco stuff also tends to have issues with re-assigning DLC etc to a particular console. When I had to "transfer" my stuff from my last 360, ALL the Namco stuff had to be re-done and re-downloaded individually, and some of it NEVER transferred or refused to allow the new console access. To this day I'm "missing" some stuff from Ace Combat and Soul Calibur.

People bitch about EA, but Namco's the worst when it comes to 'digital rights'.

Yes, there is going to be a transfer cable for the new 360. I think they mentioned it was going to be around $10-$20.

The worst part is if your 360 dies out of warranty, then your stuck paying for the repair. There's also the wait to get a repaired unit back. At least if your PS2 had the disc read error, it was a quick and easy fix you could do yourself. Not so with the 360.

None of my other consoles have had this much trouble (excluding my Atari systems. Everything they made post 2600 sucks). Both my Wii and PS3 (60GB) haven't had any problems (knock on wood). My December '05 360 is strangely fine as well. My Elite, on the other hand, first had the bad optical drive malfunction a few months after I bought it at launch. Then it RRODed last summer. I did everything I could to make sure it stayed cool, ensured it got adequate ventilation, and I would dust it regularly. It should not just up and fail like that. For the price I payed for it, and the hassle involved, this is a big deal. :angry:

I think it definitely said something about the failure rate of the 360 when they added a couple of years to the warranty specifically for the RROD. ;)

My Elite, on the other hand, first had the bad optical drive malfunction a few months after I bought it at launch.

That's what happened to my 2nd 360----and the whole "just ship it back for free, they extended the warranty"---that only applies to RROD. Any other failure (like the almost-as-common bad optical drive) doesn't qualify for the extended warranty. If the optical drive dies at day 366, you're screwed. And really--it's a DVD drive. It should last nigh-forever. The drive I use on my PC, is in its third PC. I can understand a few blu-ray issues on the PS3, but the 360 has shelf-standard DVD drives AFAIK, they should be bullet-proof by now.

i'm stuck with my old 360 tf141 edition. i will only trade up if this one breaks.

i still have the mgs4 ps3 edition that i didn't trade up for the slim.

---

xbox live question

is there any way i can set my settings where it won't tell me so and so is online now. was watching a movie netflix and it got kind of annoying.