Macross Frontier Episode 3 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 3 Rating  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How was Epsiode 3 (Rating)

• Positive (Shelters are a great place to get to know girls)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (I don't like jailbait or the Britney-wannabe)

Since SMS isn't affiliated with the military do they carry the same rank specifications as NUNS?

1. Mikhail and Luca call Ozma "taijo". It was subbed as Captain.

2. Lt. Glass calls Ozma "shoshan". It was subbed as Major.

What rank is he?

Perhaps he was a Major in the UN Spacy, and she still calls him by his old rank?

Since SMS isn't affiliated with the military do they carry the same rank specifications as NUNS?

What rank is he?

You have to remember that Captain is not only a rank but also a position. You can be a Commander and still refer as Captain if you are in command. Same thing here I guess. So I think that Major is Ozma's real rank.

Edited by Macross007

And among other things...

We are waiting for the actual single, which will be release in the coming week. Everything out there right now is a rip of some video.

It seems there's some confusion here. There are two versions going around and that were uploaded basically at the same time (duh). The first one (to which the comments your posted obviously refers to) is juste ripped from the Gattai Raw.

The other one though, is ripped from the MUSIC VIDEO which I assume was aired at some point in Japan - so it means it's the full 4:47 Triangular track in MP3 quality (and it rock B))

-Sergorn

What rank is he?

Are you asking what rank Ozma is? If so it looks like you answered your own question.

EDIT I think, unsure of spelling EDIT 2 never mind treatment beat me to it

Shosho ?=Major General same as US Navy Rear Admiral

Shosa ?=Major same as US Navy Lt Commander

Edited by Sorata

It seems there's some confusion here. There are two versions going around and that were uploaded basically at the same time (duh). The first one (to which the comments your posted obviously refers to) is juste ripped from the Gattai Raw.

The other one though, is ripped from the MUSIC VIDEO which I assume was aired at some point in Japan - so it means it's the full 4:47 Triangular track in MP3 quality (and it rock B))

-Sergorn

Eh, its TV music video quality, compressed as mp3.

What rank is he?

well, it depends if they are using naval or army ranking or some combination in both the SMS and NUNS.

iirc, "sho-sa" is Major in army-ranking and Lt.Commander in navy-ranking.

"Tai-sho" is General in army-ranking and Admiral in navy-ranking.

well, it depends if they are using naval or army ranking or some combination in both the SMS and NUNS.

iirc, "sho-sa" is Major in army-ranking and Lt.Commander in navy-ranking.

"Tai-sho" is General in army-ranking and Admiral in navy-ranking.

are you sure about that, sir? My only personaly experiance with japanesse rank names is from Battletech's House Kurita's DCMS. In M+ (Movie), Milard was the commander of the base (or at least the program. and big-boobs Lucy ^_^ called him Tai-Sho, too... but Milard didn't look or act like a FLAG OFFICER. and i still want to say Sho-Sa is like Captain (O3) for army...

but im really too tired to look. someone check the House Kurita source book? :blink:

are you sure about that, sir? My only personaly experiance with japanesse rank names is from Battletech's House Kurita's DCMS. In M+ (Movie), Milard was the commander of the base (or at least the program. and big-boobs Lucy ^_^ called him Tai-Sho, too... but Milard didn't look or act like a FLAG OFFICER. and i still want to say Sho-Sa is like Captain (O3) for army...

but im really too tired to look. someone check the House Kurita source book? :blink:

lol! i remember those Kurita/DraconisCombine-rankings in the back of my old BT-novels.

at any rate, check this link out: http://www.uniforminsignia.net/index.php?p=state&id=150

the rankings are listed in the pre-J(g/m)SDF rankings, i.e. WW-II military-rankings.

btw, Lucy clearly said "Tai-Sa" to Millard in the movie. Even Millard's office-sign states "Col. Millard Johnson". :D

Edited by treatment

wow! great episode. I wonder if Ranka's going to sing DYRL next episode (the "ancient/legendary song"). also surprised that they got hal to write the ending theme this episode - wonder why they didnt' just get hamasaki ayumi to sing it if they went thru all that trouble haha.

Just watched this episode and loved it! The story, the characters, the mecha, the animation, everything. This macross series has already exceeded my expectations by far. Also I just love Luca's Green VF-25.

As for the "LOBSTER" if I remember correctly in the scene when his head was sniped it look like it severed its own head too and it was a clean disconnection not the head disintegrating. So maybe it can detach its own limbs if it is prepared for it.

I noticed that too. Michael's shot went through the side of the lobster's head and it was still burning through after the head was disconnected.

What rank is he?

Tai chou 隊長 = literally Team Senior, meaning Team leader.

Shou Sa 少佐 = Major

元帥 Gensui = Marshal / Fleet Admiral

大将 Taishou = General / Admiral

中将 Chuushou = Lieutenant General

少将 Shoushou = Major General

准将 Jyunshou = Brigadier General

大佐 Taisa = Colonel

中佐 Chuusa = Lieutenant Colonel

少佐 Shousa = Major

大尉 Taii = Captain

中尉 Chuui = First Lieutenant

少尉 Shoui = Second Lieutenant

准尉 Jyun.i = Warrant Officer

曹長 Souchou = Master Sergeant

軍曹 Gunsou = Sergeant

伍長 Gochou = Corporal

summarized version

(taken from ref)

Edited by Shun

Three episodes in and the show is still top notch.

I also have to say I'm digging the FAST packs more and more. They're my favourite since the originals in SDF and DYRL. The "full armour" is a bit much in fighter mode, reminding me too much of the Stampede and other over-the-top designs, but makes for a great full armoured battroid. The regular super/strike packs look great, though.

Also, I'm glad this episode had more character development and began pushing the story more, the action is great but that's not the only ingredient for a great Macross series.

Also, I'm glad that while there's a steady stream of homages and references that they're also keeping things fresh. I'm certainly interested in learning more about the Vajra, and all the individual characters.

Also, there's something about the character style I'm digging. Maybe in the way they're animated, or their expressions because looking at still character shots they're not that interesting, but in the show they seem to click. I suspect it's in their expressions.

I wonder what Ozma was piloting 11 years ago.

Thunderbolt perhaps?

Could have been a VF-17 or even the VF-171. Imagines VF-17/VF-171 in Ozma colors. :ph34r:

Anyways.....

did anybody see Cathy's reaction in seeing a bloodied Ozma.

:mellow: Hmmm... loks like a hint to something going on between the two in the past. But what about that President's aide (with the weird haricut) that Cathy hooked-up with after office hours?

:huh:

Interesting, they sent out the 171 again and presumably they were useful this time.

But we still could'nt see them fight in Battroid and Gerwalk mode!!! <_< SK can really be cruel at times. -_-

Edited by grss1982

Interesting episode. Thats cool how there is a Griffith Park Obsevatory. Anyone from LA would smile when they see this episode.

Glad it's not Griffith Park Conservatory, or else you'd see them ducking bullets and hear gang slogans in the background :D

/from Chicago

Ok...so ep 3 now we have the "stuck in a place during an enemy attack and get to see diva's tits" tribute to SDF Macross. :lol:

And they even did a tribute to the Tuna Head with tuna buns. :lol:

Military servicemen get graves, SMS has to recycle body into fuel apparently. Not really sure why Ozma said all those stuff like you don't get graves and they won't tell your family what happened. SMS seems like a normal civilian military provider, not Black Ops or anything like that. Don't think PMCs are that secretive?

Normally a cannon fodder would've died...but Ozma ended up with some minor injuriest...lucky devil. I'm having some trouble ascertaining what part of Ozma's VF-25 blew up when the headless vajra shot him. It looked like the fast packs blew up but it looked intact when he jettisoned them before chasing the Vajra. I guess it means they were damaged in the explosion that's why he jettisoned them but it didn't look damaged. Not sure if he was actually hit though.

My prediction of Ozma Lee as adopted brother and he saved Ranka Lee was right. Yay. I'm sage. (yeah yeah i know i'm not the only one)

Cathy with that other guy....mmmm....hot.

Next episode... Miss Macross....and Alto's training begins. ;)

Military servicemen get graves, SMS has to recycle body into fuel apparently. Not really sure why Ozma said all those stuff like you don't get graves and they won't tell your family what happened. SMS seems like a normal civilian military provider, not Black Ops or anything like that. Don't think PMCs are that secretive?

Normally a cannon fodder would've died...but Ozma ended up with some minor injuriest...lucky devil. I'm having some trouble ascertaining what part of Ozma's VF-25 blew up when the headless vajra shot him. It looked like the fast packs blew up but it looked intact when he jettisoned them before chasing the Vajra. I guess it means they were damaged in the explosion that's why he jettisoned them but it didn't look damaged. Not sure if he was actually hit though.

Perhaps they can't tell his family simply because of the situation in which he died, not because he was an SMS pilot. Then again, it may be that SMS is a super-secret agency of the UN using the civilian provider as a cover?

As the VF-25 and its attachments are still in the testing phase, perhaps the explosion that happened is a result of faulty test equipment? Though, usually in Macross, faulty equipment doesn't pop up very often, especially as a story device (aside from the Zentraedi ships in SDF:M.)

You have to remember that Captain is not only a rank but also a position. You can be a Commander and still refer as Captain if you are in command. Same thing here I guess. So I think that Major is Ozma's real rank.

This is on the nose.

Taicho is "Unit Leader" literally and that's what Mikhail and Luca. I used Captain as the position not the rank because it's more appropriate than saying "Leader" or "Unit Leader" or some permutation of it. Shousa is his actual rank, being the equivalent of a Major in the Japanese army.

The third episode of Macross Froniter shifts gears into a more character driven pace, a welcome change from the two hectic, action-packed episodes that began the series. We get a really good dose of character development when Alto, Ranka and Sheryl are all stuck together in an emergency bunker, narrowly escaping decompression in the Island dome from a Vajra attack. The Vajra attack is truly viscious and Ozuma himself is injured during the attack. There's some really interesting developments on the fictional technology front. Though seemingly biological in some way, the Vajra can continue to operate even when it's head has been vaporized. Speaking of which, Mikhail's sniper gun pod, which at first appeared ballistic now seems to be some kind of energy based weapon, though many fans have pointed out that a sufficiently powerful rail gun would turn it's projectile into super hot plasma during firing and could act as a melting/vaporizing attack.

I find myself really enjoying the character relationships. Alto and Sheryl in particular provide a roller coaster of laughs being so at odds with each other. For all Sheryl's professionalism, she is still immature and often far too sure of herself for her own good. Alto continues his stubborn behaviour and has much to learn about keeping a cool head, but for all his faults he's no slouch and stands up to Sheryl's abuse every bit as good as she can give out. Ranka is the small center in the storm and has serious issues of her own. We find out she's only a surrogate sibling to Ozuma, who has taken her under his care during a past encounter with the Vajra that killed her entire family. Ranka is fragile, but also incredibly upbeat and determined in her own way. She seems able to befriend both Sheryl and Alto easily, despite the vast differences those two have with each other. Ranka seems poised to be a natural creator of understanding and culture, particularly through the time-honored theme of music in the Macross franchise. We're sure to see more. Lieutenant Glass has only a little to do in the episode, but it's quickly revealed Kathy has an intimate and somewhat risque relationship with Leon Mishima, a relationship which should create some interesting drama for future episodes.

Technically the show continues to impress. The character animation style is amazingly expressive, particularly during the final scenes of the episode with a sequence between Alto and Ranka. The SMS is described in more detail and the shortcomings of the New UN Spacy are again focused upon throughout this episode. The SMS, at least in Ozuma's eyes (however biased) seem to be the unsung heroes of this new age in the Macross universe; mostly unknown in life and largely forgotten in death, but courageously defending the Macross Frontier fleet. Mikhail and Luca explain to Alto that their enlistment into the SMS had to be a secret but eventually Alto himself is given entry into the SMS by Ozuma. The three friends are obviously in for some good and bad times ahead. For the first time, the third episode ends on a close without a cliff hanger and it feels like the opening act of this series has been played. It's been one hell of a great opening and I hope this show doesn't sabotage itself later on because so far it is one tight anime series.

Eagerly awaiting episode four.

Deculture! :)

It's been one hell of a great opening and I hope this show doesn't sabotage itself later on because so far it is one tight anime series.

Eagerly awaiting episode four.

Deculture! :)

Here, here! Man it was great to watch this subtitled!

This is on the nose.

Taicho is "Unit Leader" literally and that's what Mikhail and Luca. I used Captain as the position not the rank because it's more appropriate than saying "Leader" or "Unit Leader" or some permutation of it. Shousa is his actual rank, being the equivalent of a Major in the Japanese army.

imho, even tho I agree with your reason, i still think that "unit leader" or "leader" would've been more appropriate since Ozma and the SMS are merc-units, therefore the Taicho-ranking should be clearly distinctive enough from the regular military rankings such as "captain".

Edited by treatment

Tai chou 隊長 = literally Team Senior, meaning Team leader.

大佐 Tai-sa = Colonel

大尉 Tai-i = Captain

中尉 Chu-i = First Lieutenant

TU. the - is added since in all CBT literature, that's how they print the ranks in books. TU, again sir.

I glanced at the 1st part of the sub on Youtube (can you guess how long it'll be on?) and the only real fault is the overuse of certain musical scores. make more, or reuse some older stuff. I love the action best when the music dictates the action (Clearly seen in the DC version of the Pilot, also crystal in the Earth-Bound battle in Macross + Movie)

the bugs definately want Ranka or Sheryl, or both. Lets hope O learned his own noob mistake for letting his gaurd down around a damaged but clearly still dangerous Red Lobster i.e. back off and range the soon-to-be-butter-covered fiend...

:) Finally - I am downloading what I hope to be the Gattai subs :)

Sooooon I will have seen the episode and understood it and then! ... then!... as usual I will talk about it at the very tail...end...of...the threat :)...when...everyone is preocuppied with...episode 4 :)

VFTF1

imho, even tho I agree with your reason, i still think that "unit leader" or "leader" would've been more appropriate since Ozma and the SMS are merc-units, therefore the Taicho-ranking should be clearly distinctive enough from the regular military rankings such as "captain".

Well, we don't know too much about how SMS operates. Even if SMS is a merc company, they may still have a similar structure when compared with the military. It's probably safer to just go with the conventional wisdom as opposed to assume otherwise.

I really like the Gattai subs on this episode. Still rough in a few spots, but pretty solid. I wish we here at MW could organize these fansub groups together to put out a single, superior product. I mean, its our bloody show!

Anywho, I'm still downloading all the sub releases...

I really like the Gattai subs on this episode. Still rough in a few spots, but pretty solid. I wish we here at MW could organize these fansub groups together to put out a single, superior product. I mean, its our bloody show!

Anywho, I'm still downloading all the sub releases...

Oh, I've long been wanting to resub ALL the various series of Macross, standardizing spelling, fixing errors...but after reworking Hurin's DYRL subs and the Macross Plus subs, i began to realize what a monumental task it was...and kind of pointless, unless I owned an anime company that could put all of them out in nice, deluxe, uniform boxsets.

So screw world peace...I dream of a world in which the ENTIRE world of Macross, carefully subbed, beautifully packaged, is available in R1!

Oh, it's nothing special. I've been working a bit with boinger. After watching DYRL with Hurin's subs, I noticed a few things that bothered me...one semi-sorta big thing, and a lot of little things. So I fixed 'em up and sent them off to boinger, although really...I'm not sure they're any better now. (Mostly it involved changing things like "Micron" to "Miclone," so that it fits better with Animeigo's subs, keeping Zentradi-language dialogue intact if there is no corresponding Japanese subtitle, making Kaifun Minamy's cousin again...that sort of thing.)

And then, boinger said he would be getting the Macross Plus remaster DVD, and asked me to set up the subs for that, which has been taking A LOT longer than I thought it would...but I'm a total n00b at stuff like this.

(I'm not even sure if he would approve of me mentioning that...please don't pester him about it! He doesn't even have the set yet.)

It's all for the massive Macross torrent I have planned for next year...I'm also planning on translating as many of the drama albums as I can (I'm about fifteen minutes into Miss D.J. currently. But everyone talks so fast that it's really tough).