Blu-ray Macross DVDs?

Neova

"could" being the keyword.

But yes, Roy is right. Amazon has a tendency to add things WAY beyond any announcement of a street date. It's somewhat annoying.

In fact, as a recent example, Amazon had listings for The Pacific DVD and Blu-Ray back in May, while the series was still airing on HBO. Yes, it was expected that the series would get a home video release, but there was no MSRP, release date, or disc release info for the set and it was already listed, copy-pasted from the book release.

True. They have had the Alien Quadrilogy BluRay set listed for almost a year now.

There's at least a good chance that the Alien Quadrilogy will come out this year though. We know they are working on it, as stated by the producer. Plus a trailer for the European set was released. Amazon doesn't lie too often.

Once again, DYRL? and M+ (and possibly even the TV series) will come out on Blu-ray sometime. They only thing we really don't know is the release date. Macross is still a lucrative property and they'll want to make more money off of it. Remastering something takes a lot of time and money, and they did this for the movie, TV series, M+, and M7. I seriously doubt they went to all of that trouble just to release new DVDs. ;)

There's at least a good chance that the Alien Quadrilogy will come out this year though. We know they are working on it, as stated by the producer. Plus a trailer for the European set was released. Amazon doesn't lie too often.

Once again, DYRL? and M+ (and possibly even the TV series) will come out on Blu-ray sometime. They only thing we really don't know is the release date. Macross is still a lucrative property and they'll want to make more money off of it. Remastering something takes a lot of time and money, and they did this for the movie, TV series, M+, and M7. I seriously doubt they went to all of that trouble just to release new DVDs. ;)

We're not doubting that it will come out...at some point. It's just annoying that they list things so frakin' far in advance that it puts people's hopes up.

If you want a more current example, Iron Man 2 has been listed on Amazon for a month. Yes, we know it would come out eventually on Blu-ray/DVD, but why list it so early when the disc features and street date were just announced today, July 13th.

Oh, okay. Well, I guess there's not much to discuss then. Should we start a pool or something for when it comes out...? :p

Hahaha, $10 buy in for each series. Everyone not in the industry is welcome, and winner goes to the person who selects the closest date for each series. 1st and 2nd place winners (j/k)

We're not doubting that it will come out...at some point. It's just annoying that they list things so frakin' far in advance that it puts people's hopes up.

If you want a more current example, Iron Man 2 has been listed on Amazon for a month. Yes, we know it would come out eventually on Blu-ray/DVD, but why list it so early when the disc features and street date were just announced today, July 13th.

It's strictly designed to make sure you don't order/pre-order from another shop.

Hahaha, $10 buy in for each series. Everyone not in the industry is welcome, and winner goes to the person who selects the closest date for each series. 1st and 2nd place winners (j/k)

12/26/2012 - Macross TV Series

11/??/2013 - Macross Plus

07/04/2016 - Flashback 2012

??/??/2031 - DYRL

??/??/2043 - Macross 7

??/??/2092 - Macross II

:lol:

Edited by Freiflug88

Got a question for you guys...If they made BD and put english subs on them (here's to a long hope), would that cause some of you to buy the discs? I know some here don't buy them, and while I have a few, I don't have them all. For those that just get the DLs from wherever, would you decide to invest in the product if they made that change? I saw this question pop up before but can't remember exactly where. Forget wether or not it would or wouldn't be done.

After AX2010, it really started to dawn on me that Macross has a revived interest in the anime world after Frontier, and after seeing so many concert attendees and cosplayers in L.A., I wonder how that would translate to buying the Discs if they had eng. subs. Obviously, most of those people, if not, all of them saw Macross Frontier from somewhere.

Got a question for you guys...If they made BD and put english subs on them (here's to a long hope), would that cause some of you to buy the discs? I know some here don't buy them, and while I have a few, I don't have them all. For those that just get the DLs from wherever, would you decide to invest in the product if they made that change?

If I had the cash then Yes i would

Got a question for you guys...If they made BD and put english subs on them (here's to a long hope), would that cause some of you to buy the discs? I know some here don't buy them, and while I have a few, I don't have them all. For those that just get the DLs from wherever, would you decide to invest in the product if they made that change? I saw this question pop up before but can't remember exactly where. Forget wether or not it would or wouldn't be done.

After AX2010, it really started to dawn on me that Macross has a revived interest in the anime world after Frontier, and after seeing so many concert attendees and cosplayers in L.A., I wonder how that would translate to buying the Discs if they had eng. subs. Obviously, most of those people, if not, all of them saw Macross Frontier from somewhere.

Very much so! I want to have high-def on my Macross Frontier (and Zero, at this point), along with decent subtitles. I've been considering buying a bootleg set, but I am not sure if they actually offer full HD resolutions. I had brought up the question as to what it is that keeps Bandai from just freakin' subtitling their products in English. One forum user had mentioned that it's a large investment of money on their part, in order to fill the demand of a very small demographic. I had thought that there would be a much bigger market for English-speaking fans of the series, making it worth the investment. Even if it doesn't make all of the money back, at least they'd be doing what it takes to help "spread the word" of the series.

Envy!!dry.gif

It's on my list of discs to get...

Totally worth it, It was my birthday present to myself last year.

As far as purchasing the disc's if they put subs on them, hell yeah. At this point in mylife, I've little to no use for bootlegs, and am quite willing to support awesome shows with my money. It's just that when companies refuse to recognize that we the fanbase will gladly throw hard earned cash at them if only they'd take it from us that it infuriates me. At this point, Bandai Visual know's they have a U.S. fanbase illing to pay out to them, they tip toed enough in the U.S. to be certain of that. I can't imagine Unicorn sold badly.

One thought that's hit me recently, though, is that a lot of the fans have already bought bootlegs. I think the question is "If you already have a bootleg set, would you be willing to pay for an official set?" With me, it'd have to depend on whether or not I had some extra money. If I did, I would buy the officials.

Unfortunately the issue is more then just lack of English subs on BDs playable in both US and Japanese players. Not to get too off-topic, but its absolute lack of legal distribution or advertisement outside of Japan that makes the Gundam Unicorn scenario impossible to apply to any Macross BDs. A factor that is just as important in Gundam Unicorn okay sales number in the US is that it is marketed right in mainstream US retail channels without the huddles of buying other Japanese imports. Sure English Subs might bring in a few more buyers, but they will still be minority willing and able to jump through the hurdles of getting imports from Japan.

Unfortunately the issue is more then just lack of English subs on BDs playable in both US and Japanese players. Not to get too off-topic, but its absolute lack of legal distribution or advertisement outside of Japan that makes the Gundam Unicorn scenario impossible to apply to any Macross BDs. A factor that is just as important in Gundam Unicorn okay sales number in the US is that it is marketed right in mainstream US retail channels without the huddles of buying other Japanese imports. Sure English Subs might bring in a few more buyers, but they will still be minority willing and able to jump through the hurdles of getting imports from Japan.

I think the only people who'd have any real sort of hurdles, would be the brick and mortar retailers who would want these products. Even then, it hasn't stopped them, if they want it over here. I can name several places I can walk into and find Macross specific items for purchase. With the explosion of e-tailers in the last decade or so, getting access to almost anything that is Asia, Euro, or any other geographic specific product is a matter of a few clicks from a laptop. And let's face it, we've all gone the way of getting bootlegs because most of the Macross spinoffs aren't distributed here. It just really opened my eyes, seeing young/new anime fans dressing up as Macross Frontier characters at a convention, and it made me think of this. All of those fans have seen the series somehow, and at least 9 to 9.5 out of 10 watched it by downloading it, or by buying a bootleg. Even if say 10% of all Macross fans bought a DVD or BD with subs from the U.S. and from Europe, that's a decent amount of money that wouldn't have been there before. But logistics and possibilities aside, would you buy them or not?

But logistics and possibilities aside, would you buy them or not?

Personally I would buy them subs or no subs. As someone who wants to learn japanese watching them raw doesn't bother me. I even gone to the extreme and removed the English subs and dubs from a number of my anime DVDs backed-up on harddrive.

I would and have bought a few raws even though my Japanese comprehension is not so great (its weird, I can talk in Japanese with a Jgirl all day long but I can`t catch all the high level vocab in SF anime - guess I should actually study?) but I`m not sure if the average anime fan would be willing to pay Japanese retail price where series box sets still go for between $300 and $1000.

I want to thank you guys for responding the yes or no question. I'm doing an indie quick study here, and maybe in the near future, will pay off. If more wish to chime in, that'd be great, but also, I don't wanna hijack this thread. So, in keeping with the original thread topic, if it is true that DYRL and the other series go BD, I'll have to seriously consider the new medium and buy them. I've wanted to get Zero on BD, and probably will later this year, when my 3rd raise of the year comes in in September.

Id buy official blu-rays if they had english subs on them in a heartbeat.

Seconded.

Given the rights issues Bandai has in the West, this is probably in their best interests...

Then again, they probably make more money milking some company out here for the rights than they would selling a couple thousand (at best) discs.

Macross in BD quality with english subs??

I'd sell my car to finance that if need be!

• 4 weeks later...

In a heartbeat. Zero, SDF:Macross, DYRL, Macross Plus, Macross 7 (although maybe not as much) and Macross Frontier are worth every penny of my hard earned cash to buy on BD if they were subtitled...I would go as far as buying anything Macross if the quality was good and made it to mainstream America.

Like others have said, in a heart beat. Especially for Frontier. I'm working enough overtime lately, I'd be willing to chip in that extra income for subtitled Macross Frontier on bluray.

Same here, i have the full set of Frontier Blu-Ray. The Picture alone is worth it, watching it in full HD. And have looked at getting zero as well.

But if they released them in Blu-ray with Subs. I would get them. I have always wondered why they haven't before. Since most DVD/Blu-ray's in western releases have subtitles, and for them to put english subs on new release anime Blu-Ray/DVD's would be a great idea. I know that there sales would go up, as fans of these anime want the best quality and would pay for it. I know I would.

That's my 2 cents worth anyway.

Again guys, thanks for the response. originally, this was for simple personal market research, but it may be more, and I thank you guys for that. With the Frontier movie coming out in October, I'm anxiously awaiting that on BD. The hybrid pack will be my first purchase, but if they did another one with or without the game, but had English subs, I'd have to double dip on this product, and get it twice.

As much as more Macross is always good...I don't see much point to BDs of the original.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a high quality release of the original series...but can that really exist? Honestly...the animation is mostly terrible. Sure they can make it sharper and whatnot...but unless they reanimate the thing it's not really going to be any better. I don't see how there would be a market out there to justify fixing it up.

DYRL and M+ are done well enough that a BD release would be ok, with thier OVA/Movie budgets. M7 would need fixing too, but not nearly as much.

As much as more Macross is always good...I don't see much point to BDs of the original.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a high quality release of the original series...but can that really exist? Honestly...the animation is mostly terrible. Sure they can make it sharper and whatnot...but unless they reanimate the thing it's not really going to be any better. I don't see how there would be a market out there to justify fixing it up.

DYRL and M+ are done well enough that a BD release would be ok, with thier OVA/Movie budgets. M7 would need fixing too, but not nearly as much.

Well at least we could enjoy the openings, eye-catches, and those few well animated episodes in glorious HD! :p

Japan did a remaster a couple years ago that blew away AnimEigo's remaster (and rightfully so, since there were better materials to work wth) A bluray of that, regardless of the lack of subtitles, would maximize the quality of the show, while also being packaged in an easily importable format. So yeah, there would be a benefit to it.

Not sure if this is the right place or not, but the Macross Frontier Music Clip Shuu Nyankuri Blu-ray and DVDs are starting to become available for preorder at various places around the 'net. Can't tell if there's a pre-order bonus. CD Japan doesn't list anything in regards to first press extras. HMV Japan seems to have the cheapest price right now (pre-shipping costs) if you take advantage of their multi-buy promotion. Amazon Japan has it listed, but unavailable for order. Chose to get mine from CD Japan.

CD Japan currently has the DVD listed as Region 2 and the Blu-ray as Region Free. 40 minute runtime with 5.1 and stereo options. Release date Dec 15, 2010.

Description: "Music clip collection release from anime series “Macross Frontier” featuring eight music clips and popular scenes from TV series and theatrical features. Also includes newly-created footage such as interview with Ranka and Sheryl and TV spot starring Ranka plus choreography footage starring 3D character version of Megumi Nakajima & May’n."

Anyways, I would have thought it'd be cooler to name it Flashback 2062 or something like that :p

Edit: And only eight songs? That's too bad. Lots of music to choose from, but I guess that's why there's the Budokan video.

Edited by sdf2501