Blu-ray Macross DVDs?

Neova

Amazon Japan is showing Macross Frontiers Episodes 1 and 2 Blu-ray available for preorder and was wondering if any of the other DVDs will be re-released in Blu-ray?

I'm hesitant to pickup the 25th Anniversary DYRL and the M+ boxset if Blu-ray is on the way.

Would be great to see the entire Macross Saga Box Sets on Blu-ray: Zero, Frontiers, SDF-1, DYRL, Plus and yes, even 2 and 7.

Other than MGS4, this would be a main reason for me to breakdown and pickup a PS3 just to watch Macross again on native 1080p, instead of upscaling it from DVD.

Anybody has any 720p or 1080p shots of M:F to see if Blu-ray makes a difference over DVD 480p?

It's inevitable at this rate, and the reason I'm waiting, is the hope that even if they're not released here, Bandai Visual will have the foresight to include some kind of subtitles finally.

It's inevitable at this rate, and the reason I'm waiting, is the hope that even if they're not released here, Bandai Visual will have the foresight to include some kind of subtitles finally.

It's possible. Bandai Visual's Yukikaze Bluray box had english audio and subtitles.

It's possible. Bandai Visual's Yukikaze Bluray box had english audio and subtitles.

Yeah but Yukikaze had already been self-licensed by Bandai in the US, so there were existng subs and audio. Not so with Macross Frontier.

Old anime on Blu-ray may not be all its cracked up to be. Some things aren't meant to be seen in high definition.

A good remasterisation can do miracles though. Of coursen othing will change the crappy animations and thing like that - but a clean and crisp picture would be nice.

-Sergorn

Unless someone actually licenses MacF for North America (and/or maybe Europe) in the next few weeks, the odds on these particular BDs having English subs are pretty damn low. Not zero, but very close. Which is a shame, but there you go.

I'm sticking with fansubs for what didn't make it to the USA and the R1 DVDs for what did. The Animeigo DVDs look about as good as SDF Macross ever will, and while it'd be nice to have better Mac + discs, Japanese Blu-rays are so outrageously priced that they almost make $30 for the new release Blu-rays at Target seem reasonable.

But were the subtitles accurate/good? I might buy the Macross F ones but only if the subtitles are not in "Engrish"

Bandai must likely just used the same audio and subtitles they did for the US Release.

Frankly, I wonder why people expect M:F to come out here, when we're still waiting on M:0.

I don't except Frontier to come out of Japan for a very long time, as heartbreaking as it is too admit.

-Sergorn

Somehow I don't think Macross Zero has even a fraction of the appeal that Macross Frontier is going to have. I don't have any proof or statistics, but just a gut feeling. Just going off the buzz on message boards alone, there's much more interest in Macross Frontier than there was for Macross Zero in 2002. The fact that there is a week wait between episodes of Macross Frontier instead of six months for Macross Zero also holds fan attention a lot better :)

I think that it will be great an edition of all Macross in Blu-ray, but only we could enjoy the HD features on Macross F and perhaps in Macross Zero...

Well I Know Macross and Macross DYRL were remastered to HD remastered, but I know is not the same that have them on blu-ray format, perhaps it won't be any difference with the DVD releases...

Unless someone actually licenses MacF for North America (and/or maybe Europe) in the next few weeks, the odds on these particular BDs having English subs are pretty damn low. Not zero, but very close. Which is a shame, but there you go.

On the contrary.

Bandai Visual has always been the home video partner for BigWest's Macross productions and if there are indeed plans for North American releases then all that is required is for the franchise to the change the name for here or simply add the subtitles and export the Bluray discs directly (no law can stop them, dispite what HG tried to pull several years back).

HG only trademarked the name "Macross", unless BW is willing to fight to regain their rightful ownership of the name, they'll have to change the Macross name to something else or pay HG a licensing fee for use of the name (which ain't gonna happen). With Bandai Visual USA in existence, there is a way for them to distribute Frontier here, without an outside distributor possibly butchering the scripts under the guise of, "well American fans wouldn't understand basic communication without cussing and slang..." :rolleyes:

Keep in mind that Bandai Visual USA is still owned by Bandai Visual Japan and repeated e-mails to them asking if Frontier will be released here and if not would their Japanese parent be willing to add English subs to the Bluray releases, will go a long way in convincing them that it is a viable marketing strategy here.

I think that it will be great an edition of all Macross in Blu-ray, but only we could enjoy the HD features on Macross F and perhaps in Macross Zero...

Well I Know Macross and Macross DYRL were remastered to HD remastered, but I know is not the same that have them on blu-ray format, perhaps it won't be any difference with the DVD releases...

Frontier and Zero would transfer very well to HD as well as DYRL (35mm film is a higher resolution than HD) and possibly even Mac Plus, depending on what film stock was used.

Bandai Visual has always been the home video partner for BigWest's Macross productions and if there are indeed plans for North American releases then all that is required is for the franchise to the change the name for here or simply add the subtitles and export the Bluray discs directly (no law can stop them, dispite what HG tried to pull several years back)

Perhaps - but since it didn't happen with Macross Zero - I find it doubtful that it will happens with Frontier. :( And I got the feeling that HG would try to give some assle to any Macross release even with another title.

Frontier and Zero would transfer very well to HD as well as DYRL (35mm film is a higher resolution than HD) and possibly even Mac Plus, depending on what film stock was used.

It'd definitly need proper remasterisation. But then the HD Remaster you would tend to assume that they could just use the remasterfor a HD Release. That being said - the DYRL remaster really IS crappy and it's so grainy that it would look even worst in HD than it does en DVD.

-Sergorn

Bandai Visual has always been the home video partner for BigWest's Macross productions and if there are indeed plans for North American releases then all that is required is for the franchise to the change the name for here or simply add the subtitles and export the Bluray discs directly (no law can stop them, dispite what HG tried to pull several years back).

HG only trademarked the name "Macross", unless BW is willing to fight to regain their rightful ownership of the name, they'll have to change the Macross name to something else or pay HG a licensing fee for use of the name (which ain't gonna happen). With Bandai Visual USA in existence, there is a way for them to distribute Frontier here, without an outside distributor possibly butchering the scripts under the guise of, "well American fans wouldn't understand basic communication without cussing and slang..." :rolleyes:

Keep in mind that Bandai Visual USA is still owned by Bandai Visual Japan and repeated e-mails to them asking if Frontier will be released here and if not would their Japanese parent be willing to add English subs to the Bluray releases, will go a long way in convincing them that it is a viable marketing strategy here.

Hey, I want to be optimistic. But I just can't pull it off in this case. :blink:

If BV can't directly release Macross Frontier as, well, Macross Frontier without going through a third party--in this case HG--in North America, I just don't see them spending time worrying about it unless they get a near-epic deluge of requests for it. And by extension Bandai Visual Japan might not bother with worrying about subtitling it for a market they'll only sell a comparative trickle of items in unless Bandai Visual USA forwards that same near-epic deluge to home base.

But, hell--maybe they'll surprise us all and do something further out than we can safely see (end of year-ish).

Somehow I don't think Macross Zero has even a fraction of the appeal that Macross Frontier is going to have. I don't have any proof or statistics, but just a gut feeling. Just going off the buzz on message boards alone, there's much more interest in Macross Frontier than there was for Macross Zero in 2002. The fact that there is a week wait between episodes of Macross Frontier instead of six months for Macross Zero also holds fan attention a lot better :)

I suspect that, in addition to the lag between episodes, it's easier to get more excited for a longer TV show than a shorter OAV. Especially when the TV show is set in the future of the in-continuity universe, where anything is fair game, vs. a prequel, where you can't do much without serious retcons.

I mean, we're only two episodes into Frontier, and I'm already liking it a lot better than Zero. And I liked Zero!

Perhaps - but since it didn't happen with Macross Zero - I find it doubtful that it will happens with Frontier. :( And I got the feeling that HG would try to give some assle to any Macross release even with another title.

Well currently BW and HG are at a Mexican standoff, with HG having an empty gun and BW a full one. HG got it's last shot off my successfully trademarking the "Macross" name in NA, but it was only a flesh wound to BW who is still too timid to fire a shot.

Now with Bandai USA doing quite well selling the Gundam lines, if they want to extend their market for Frontier merchandise they will need to step up and stand behind BW with respect to any HG challenges.

Zero had the original kite and a variable fighter that still resembled the VF-1, so I can see how a timid foreign corporation (though BW's pocket's are far deeper than HG's) not fighting for that, however Frontier looks nothing like SDFM, right down to the NUNS insignia. All the capital ships are from Mac 7, the fighters are new, etc... The naming of the ships from Macross class to "M" class can easily be done (assuming they don't have such footage already).

Both parent companies are backing away from the street so to speak, with SC being based on Mospeada and the REF insignia no longer being a distinctive kite like SDFM and Frontier having a totally different look to the universe to NA eyes.

It all comes down to "will" and how much "more" the franchise can earn. Anime is a small niche market in Japan. Here there is a different market where the label "Otaku" is celebrated not a term of ridicule. Where fans of all ages buy merchandise, not just school kids.

It appears that the series is being groomed for international release, by all the distinctive changes, however only time will tell. Though I must admit this is the first anime show I've been a fan of that released the DVDs while the series was still running. The last show I remember doing that here was BSG season 2.5.

It'd definitly need proper remasterisation. But then the HD Remaster you would tend to assume that they could just use the remasterfor a HD Release. That being said - the DYRL remaster really IS crappy and it's so grainy that it would look even worst in HD than it does en DVD.

-Sergorn

Why? It's already in the Bluray format. Converting a 1080p image down to 720p or 480p is easy. It's the other way around that's far more difficult and expensive.

The DYRL remaster was done by people who didn't know what they were doing. I think they were trying for the same effect Animeigo did with SDFM, but because they didn't farm it out to Animeigo or get technical advise from that company, the results were incredibly disappointing. We are well versed in restoring old film in NA since we've been doing for years now, I doubt the Japanese are versed in it at all.

Edited by Zinjo

And speaking of Zero... ever wondered why it wasn't re-released along with the rest of the Remastered series?

Here's the answer:

MACROSS ZERO Blu-ray BOX SET

http://product.bandaivisual.co.jp/web_serv...em_no=BCXA-0062

To be released on August 22nd... no mention of subtitles though :(

Macross Zero and Frontier in HD. What a beautiful world. ^_^ But I will force to buy a PS3. <_< And 21 000 JPY (207 USD) is an outragious price.

Edited by Macross007

A good remasterisation can do miracles though. Of coursen othing will change the crappy animations and thing like that - but a clean and crisp picture would be nice.
The DVD version is already at the limits of the source image. You CANNOT extract more detail once you start seeing film grain.

Animeigo hit the grain limit. They DID remove the film grain at one point during the remastering, but then had to add it back in for the final revision because it looked too flat without any grain.

And speaking of Zero... ever wondered why it wasn't re-released along with the rest of the Remastered series?

Here's the answer:

MACROSS ZERO Blu-ray BOX SET

http://product.bandaivisual.co.jp/web_serv...em_no=BCXA-0062

To be released on August 22nd... no mention of subtitles though :(

That just made my day! I think we can initiate support to BV to get the rest of the Macross series into Blu-ray now! Just need to work on that price to achieve greater sales!

If Bandai Visual releases either Zero or F over here, or in Japan with subtitles, I'd even forgive them for ruining Gunbuster's soundtrack.

Here is an idea:

Why don't we proactively OFFER the subs to BV Japan and USA so that the subs can be included into the Blu-ray or future dvd editions?

I bet that would catalyse into more DVD sales and in turn more translated DVD for certain regions, which was what subbers have been trying to achieve all along: promote anime into markets that have no support!

The DVD version is already at the limits of the source image. You CANNOT extract more detail once you start seeing film grain.

It's not about extracing the details - more about cleaning the master to REMOVE the atrocious grain. I mean serisouly - the "HD Remaster" of DYRL is just unwatchable :mellow:

-Sergorn

Good news about Macross Zero on Blu-ray...bad news.. most likely no subs. Bandai Visual and BW asleep at the wheel again. Finally we get a region free format(for NA and Japan at least) and they still can't get it right. <_<

Other recently released or announced BV Blu-rays don't have subs either. And some of them have been released outside of Japan previously.

its up at AMJ..no preorder price yet

here

Edited by dejr8bud

Hardly...

A 35mm print has a higher resolution than HD, this is from someone in the film industry.

However, you have to know how to clean up the image before capturing the frame for the final master if you don't have a pristine print to work from. The DYRL remaster seems to have skipped that step, which is why it is so grainy. Granted it is a fairly time consuming and thus expensive process.

It just went available at both Amazon-Japan and CDJapan:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%9E%E3%82%AF...3002&sr=1-1

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCXA-62

as expected, 26% off for preorders at Amazon-Japan.

Remember all, this is Blu-Ray disc and not DVD.

As always, Amazon is reasonable regarding prizes compared to the others (15 540 JPY = 153 USD).

Hardly...

A 35mm print has a higher resolution than HD, this is from someone in the film industry.

However, you have to know how to clean up the image before capturing the frame for the final master if you don't have a pristine print to work from. The DYRL remaster seems to have skipped that step, which is why it is so grainy. Granted it is a fairly time consuming and thus expensive process.

Did Animeigo do a DYRL release?

I'm only questioning the point of a BluRay original series.

I meant to make that clearer. It got lost somewhere between my brain and keyboard.

I completely agree that DYRL needs the HD treatment.

Now.... when do we get Imax-res TV, so I can rebuy Fantasia 2000?

Did Animeigo do a DYRL release?

I'm only questioning the point of a BluRay original series.

In that respect, you are absolutely correct, if I remember correctly it was shot on 16mm.

Now there is a processes out there that can do an HD restoration of such film stock, but it's very expensive and time consuming.

Thus making it cost prohibitive for an anime title.

And what about Macross Plus and 7 ?

Plus started as a movie. And in fact, most of the footage wound up on the big screen, where the smaller-size film would have made grain hopelessly visible(if you saw Fantasia 2000 at an Imax theater... think Sorcerer's Apprentice).

So most, if not all, of it is fit for an HD transfer.

I suspect the OVA-exclusive parts are fit too. Just for consistency's sake(I also gather Japan had a high-resolution LaserDisc format, so there'd be a logical reason if they intended to publish that way).

But that may be semi-wishful thinking(only semi-wishful because... I'd rather see the movie version anyways).

I have my doubts that 7 is fit to expand.

blue ray alone makes the PS3 worth it. Mind you Metal Gear Solid 4 is comming out soon. that should be another reason :)

Kojima is publicly stated he isn't happy with MGS4. Anyway, I don't see the cost of a blu ray player equaling a PS3.

Old anime on Blu-ray may not be all its cracked up to be. Some things aren't meant to be seen in high definition.

Even if SDF Macross was at its pristine limit with the Animeigo release, wouldn't they be able to put the entire series on one Blu Ray disc? If so, that would greatly appeal to me.