Planning My 1st Dio

Chas

I've recently started planning some ideas for builds this summer ( When I finally finish School!). This is after a suggestion from my wife that planning out what I wanted to build this summer might be a good idea - much like her book lists for summer reading. Well I got to thinking and I remembered my Hase, VT-1 kit and how much I like the look of the fighter mode of the design. Then I remembered - I think it was SDF-1- who posted in my gerwalk thread that he really wanted to see a gerwalk of the VT-1. This somehow melded with my recent desire to do a dio and I came up with the idea of trying to build a dio of the scene in DYRL when Hikki. and Misa are stranded on earth and they are sheltering from a storm in a tent which is suspended from their VT-1 in Gerwalk mode. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.

So I have two questions.

1. To anyone who has the Gold Book - is there any production art of this scene in there? If so could you please post some images?( also for anyone who has ANY pre-production/design sketches for this scene from any book)

2. I know that the boosters are not present on the VT-1 in this scene but I really like the look of the fighter with them on so what do you guys think I should do stay faithful to the film or go with my gut? (I know there is the option of going with magnets, but there are two things about that idea that trouble me 1 I've never done it before and not sure how difficult it is & 2. I don't like to handle my kits too much after I build them {for fear of damage etc..} So if you've used magnets on kits to make some parts removable any advice you could give is welcome.)

Thanks C.

post-2604-1208056348_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chas

I don't got a Gerwalk 1/144 yet (i know there is a VF-1D Gerwalk out there though)

But here is my little dio' that i plan to do up when my camp arrives.

http://www.hlj.com/product/PRO09949

I'll slide it under and swap an craft some heads for hikaru (his hair do will be fun) and for Misa just add boobs and slim down the bending over figure and of course add some long hair. I already am planning a camp scene for the new 1/60 scale valks (VT-1 is a given eventually), that will be easier (using real cloth and figures will be more workable).

My fav moment in DYRL? and i can't wait to see what you can do! :D Good Luck! :)

(stay faithful to the film btw) I have my old 1/60 VT in this exact pose and imo it's way sexier than with the boosters and fps.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Planning is great idea. I gave up on that though - it's called two children :lol:. I was blessed this weekend though to actually get some Daedalus build time in so I sympathize with you!

Magnets are a great way to go! If you line them up right under a thinned area of plastic, you won't need ugly tabs to align your parts every time. I would recommend gloss paint in those area you use them though. Flat paint will show wear marks. Someone here recommended this place: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/ . I've used neodymium magnets for lots of stuff, I just bought mine a long time ago in store elsewhere. Several people have recommended putting them in the Daedalus so I'm doing that to hold mecha down to the deck. WM Cheng put them into his launch arm diorama build up too! Check it out in his builds. Have fun with your project! - MT

As I think more about it I'm leaning more and more toward staying true to the source material.

Although I like the look of the boosters and all they just don't make sense in this scene ( which is probably why they weren't there in the first place!) - Our intrepid duo are within the planet's atmosphere so they will need the tail rudders to maneuver and the booster packs are meant for use in space.

I think I'll add them to my spares box and get another VT-1 kit to build up in fighter mode with the boosters.

Now I just gotta get some more ref. material. Anyone know if there are any production drawings for this scene in existence?

I've looked through my copy of TIA #11 without any luck. The only other place I can think of where there might be a sketch or two is the Gold Book but alas I don't own a copy.

Could someone who does have a copy take a look through and let me know please?

If there isn't any I guess I'l just have to use Screen Caps.