Proposal: Spoiler Free New MacF Episode Discussion Threads

I first reached upon this topic in the Macross Frontier Episode 2 Talkback Thread. Here's how it is: I have a bit of a dilemma with the thread in question and any similar future thread devoted to subsequent episodes. I like to go in and check if there's a sub of the episode out yet. Sure, I actually just need to check the first post for that. But it's more into it. When a sub comes out I also like to know the public opinion of the sub's quality, to make up my mind if it's worth seeing or not. I could be some flaw in the translation, one have to need a special codec for it to work, or it could be okay, but another sub is far better. I want to know such things before I make my decision. What's holding me back with how things are now? It's just that the thread is literally filled with spoilers. And often it's major ones. The whole purpose behind finding the right sub before I watch a new episode is that I want my first viewing to be perfect. And spoilers... well, they spoil that. I believe many more people share this problem. (Am I right?)

Here's my suggestion: Make a single discussion thread for pure technical discussions on all things surrounding the episodes (e.g. news about when subs are up, comparing different subs, debating which translation of names and terms is most accurate, questions and answers on which particular codec is needed and so on). As no plot should be discussed there's a lot smaller risk of spoilers. This way it'll be much easier to get some facts straightened out as well. That also means that plot discussions wouldn't be constantly interrupted with the question if there's a sub out or not. As a result I think the flow in both kinds of threads would be a lot more smoother.

The counter argument is that it will mean another thread more for the mods to keep in check. But it's also just a single one. And after a while, a thread such as that would surely lose much of its activity. Subs would probably start coming out on regular basis and most major question marks regarding technical aspects and translation will gradually be straightened out, and so forth. But such a thread would certainly fill a purpose for now.

So... What do people think about all this? What do you mods say?

Edited by Lorindor

If you don't want to be spoiled, don't read the thread(s). And checking torrent sites daily after the episode airs would alleviate this issue. Also reading the first post of the episode thread(s) would also alleviate the issue and I do post links to Rapidshare/Megaupload files as I see 'em for users not wanting to use Bittorrent. In fact, I just added the links for the Gattai sub of episode 1, in the episode 1 thread. Patience is a virtue.

As for codec problems, we have a pseudo-Computer Support thread.

Translations and sub groups? Every group is gonna do their translation a bit different from the others. I say pOtato, you say potAto. Unless you call the VF-25, "Brief 25", then we have problems. As for names, the Macross Compendium is a great place to get as close as we can get to proper name translations.

It seems I quite don’t get through to you… I already explained that the problem not lies with being unable to find subs; it’s the inability of discussing them in a smooth way. I mean, a Gattai sub has apparently come out. How can I know if it’s a good one? It came out later than other ones; does that mean it’s of better quality? Or could it be that actually have flaws in translation, maybe call the VF-25 “Brief 25” or something other silly? The best way to know for sure is to ask those who know: the members of this site. Where? In the spoiler filled talkback thread, because that’s the only place with today’s rules where I’m allowed to discuss it.

Okay, we do have a “pseudo-Computer Support thread”, weren’t aware of that. Still, such support questions, as well as translation notes, are really common in the talkback threads. If those where to be moved to a single, separate thread, the ones that want to discuss things more connected to the episode itself (such as plot) in the talkback thread wouldn’t be as interrupted.

Here's a suggestion:

When looking for info on subs, don't actually read the page. Open it, and do a search for specific terms on the page. If nothing comes up, then you'll have saved both time and the chance of accidently reading a spoiler.