Clash of the Bionoids

Well. The "dub" in itself wasn't that bad - the voice actors for the most part were pretty good. The translation though is a whole different matter.

Well the french version was very special ^^

For starters it was called "Macross - Robotech le Film" on the box and had english credits ("Super Space Fortress Macross") and the ending had no vocals.

More oddity : no character in french DYRL seems to have a name and a first name. Nope. They only all had ONE name and that's all. Of course most of them didn't have the proper names : Hikaru was called Hikari, Roy Focker became Foster, Gloval became Glovak and Minmay became.... Mingmei :lol: (that is for everytone beside the voice actor for Hikaru who actually did call here MINMAY - so I have assume he had seen Robotech before). All the names sounds like they'd be poorly romaniced - from what I'd heard it had actualy been translated from an english script poorly translated from Japan so... ^^'

The weirdest aspect was the translation tough. After finally seiin the movie subbed a few years ago, I think pretty much 50% of the dialogue have like little to do with the original :D The craziest aspect though was when Misa plug that Protuculture computer in the ancient city : rather than the unknown language... It spoke in french... the voice claimed they were the "Space Immigrants" to the astoshniment of Misa (who seems to know of these immigrants) and tries to learn more, but the computer says that Hikaru and Misa are just "human copies" and shuts off leaving Misa like... "how rude" :lol:

The relationship between the character felt somewhat different too - for instance it gave the impression that Misa and Hikaru were already good buddies at he beginning of the movie even thouth they yelled at each.

Amongts other odities : Zero-G Love had no vocalcs, and one of Minmay's song (the one she sings when she is captive before Boldoza) was replaced by anotehr song in ENGLISH - which I have no idea where it could come from

So yeah it was a mess :lol:

-Sergorn

Hmmmm interesting. Hikaru and Misa were recognized as "Space Immigrants" in the English dub too

Hmmmm interesting. Hikaru and Misa were recognized as "Space Immigrants" in the English dub too

Safe to assume the french Dub and Clash of the Bionoids were made from the same translation then.

But I still watched the french version gazillions of time :lol: As I said the dubbing wasn't bad and having no point comparison there was no way to know the translation was that bad. ^_^ But first time I saw DYRL subbed... It almost felt like the first time I saw Macross after seeing Robotech over and over :lol:

-Sergorn

Now that someone mentioned this, this is also my very first experience with Macross. (Even before seeing Robotech) My memory of this Dub is pretty much close to nonexistant, though I do remember it sparking my interest in anime. I remember this old TV station in my city that showed a lot of anime films and this was one of em. I remember returning home from school and catching this movie. Those were good times. :lol:

I saw this movie one day at a Comic Book shop. I'm still kicking myself for not buying it. :angry:

yes, this is the BEST VIDEO release,identical to my copy.(my cover is in excellent shape, as i got mine new, though) this would seem to be the latest and as yet final U.S. release and yes, this one's unedited, too ^_^

tmpD.jpg

tmp12a.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

For this week, I'm working on a Clash of the Bionoids DVD with remastered DYRL video. It's slow going because the audio is for 30 fps and the DYRL video is 23.98 fps, so a lot of cutting and moving audio around. I also discovered today that Tmpeg software can encode the remastered DRYL video into something better looking than what I have on my remastered DYRL dvd.

COTB special edition will most likely be available in 3 weeks as a DVD through bittorrent on MiniNova.org and as an xvid avi through iMacross4.

See Macross Fan Edits under the Macross Fan Works thread for further information.

Edited by boinger

For this week, I'm working on a Clash of the Bionoids DVD with remastered DYRL video. It's slow going because the audio is for 30 fps and the DYRL vidoe is 23.98 fps, so a lot of cutting and moving audio around. I also discovered today that Tmpeg software can encode the remastered DRYL video into something better looking than what I have on my remastered DYRL dvd.

COTB special edition will most likely be available in 3 weeks as a DVD through bittorrent on MiniNova.org and as an xvid avi through iMacross4.

See Macross Fan Edits under the Macross Fan Works thread for further information.

Wow, that's great man! Thanks a bunch and good luck with it! :D

This was my first exposure to the real Macross. Up until that point I had only seen a few Family Home Entertainment edited VHS releases of Robotech. My understanding of the Macross story mainly came from having read the entire Comico comics version of Robotech The Macross Saga. When I saw "Clash of the Bionoids" at my local video rental I was excited and confused. I knew Robotech came from Japan, but didn't really know anything else. Needless to say, my confusion was only deepened when I watched the video. I loved it for it's beautiful animation, but what the hell was going on here? Everyone had different names and had an accent unlike anything I'd ever heard. And what the hell was a Bionoid? I later bought an unedited VHS (200th generation fan copied) version at a comic con which remained my only copy up until a couple years ago. I can look back on Clash of the Bionoids now and laugh about it, but at the time I was a very confused budding Macross fan.

Re: "You chauvinist! You disobey my orders!?"

You know, that's actually not a bad translation of the line. The Japanese translates literally to "Men or women, who do you think gives the orders?" which is REALLY HARD to twist into a natural sounding English sentence.

Hurin's sub has "Who do you think gives the orders?" which is fine, except that, thematically, conflict between men and women is important in DYRL, and I think the line is a bit of foreshadowing...something lost in Hurin's subs.

Kiseki's sub had, "Does he think that men are superior to women?" Also fine, but not exact.

Suddenly, the Bionoids line sounds almost elegant in capturing the meaning of what Misa said...