Advice on air compressor

Mr. Anderson

They have this one at walmart for 98 bucks.

http://www.brutepower.com/products/air_com...ex.cfm?p_id=395

And then this one on amazon that got really good reviews but only has a 1 gallon tank.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AQK7..._pr_product_top

I want something reasonably quiet and I will be using it just for airbrushing. My budget is 150.00! Thanks for the help! :lol:

I would think some of the biggest things to consider besides price would be the actual usage and noise. I wait days and some times even weeks at a time for the hours I'll be spending airbrushing.

I don't like to have to use it for a one pass brushing and then have to deal with the set up and clean up of the tools that could take as long as the painting session. Instead I make sure i can have several disposable hours to paint several layers and models at once; It saves time and expenditure of paints and cleaning solutions.

The time I spent painting is a noisy one, so I can't do it when my nephews or family friends are visiting. My painting room on the second floor is made of wood so the vibration of the small 2.5 gallon compressor can be felt throughout the house. None of the compressor i have owned...3, is quiet enough while charging air; but they are "silent" when airbrushing.

Once the Psi pressure is spent, the machine will rev-up again for a new charge so the noise starts again. I tend to turn it off until the whole charge is spent because the compressors revs-up as soon as it hits 80-100 Psi out of the 125 max. The bigger the gallon capacity the longer it will take until a new charge is filled; but the longer it will take before a new one is needed... if you can deal with the noise while charging then any compressor might work but i would tend to think getting a bigger one may be 5-8 gal should be enough, I just wouldn't know about the noise...

Hopefully you can test it before you buy it.

Yeah, 007 is right. Mine is a two gallon and it could probably wake the dead (never tried it yet B)) ). Seriously, mine is loud as are a lot of these types. If you can put it outside your closed window and run the airhose in that may not be too bad. Your neighbors will then probably hate your guts! If you're only doing a little non serious work these are alright. Most lower end units of the piston style are loud.

Make sure it has a good pressure regulator on it and a moisture trap (or purchase one seperately). These are both musts. Quick disconnects for the hose make life a lot easier too. Have fun shopping! - MT

The larger the tank, the longer you will be able to spray between refills. If you go with a smaller tank, the compressor will run longer. Also, ther is a chance the compressor won't have enough volume to run the airbrush without first filling the tank. Odds are, with a 10 gallon tank, you can run the compressor for about 10-15 mins to fill the tank, and then shut it off, and run on the volume stored in the tank. You could fill it during daytime hours and when it won't disturb anyone, and then use it quietly in the house until you are out of air. 10 gallons should be ore than enough to handle most airbrushing jobs.

Alternatively, and this is dependent on your comfort lefel doing plumbing, you can purchase a separate portable 5 gallon tank that you fill at the compressor during the day, and then drag that inside to use. You would need a few worth of fittings if you go that route. This, BTW, is what I am intending to do this spring so that I can airbrush quietly inside the house. Just be aware that 5 galons isn't nearly as much air as you might think.

-Adam

Yeah, 007 is right. Mine is a two gallon and it could probably wake the dead (never tried it yet B)) ).

....Brains....

On a serious note, I too have a simple shop compressor with a 2 gallon tank, It sits on the floor under my workbench. While loud, it's pretty good for what I paid for, which was about $75 a few years ago. Fills up (max 100 psi), and I spray away for quite a while, since I only use max 20 psi when I'm airbrushing.

The larger the tank, the longer you will be able to spray between refills. If you go with a smaller tank, the compressor will run longer. Also, ther is a chance the compressor won't have enough volume to run the airbrush without first filling the tank. Odds are, with a 10 gallon tank, you can run the compressor for about 10-15 mins to fill the tank, and then shut it off, and run on the volume stored in the tank. You could fill it during daytime hours and when it won't disturb anyone, and then use it quietly in the house until you are out of air. 10 gallons should be ore than enough to handle most airbrushing jobs.

15mins to fill a tank must be a tiny motor. I have a 10gal that fills in about 90sec. 10gal will cover LOTS of airbrush time. My old 6gal could paint a 1/72 aircraft twice and still have air left over.

MechTechs pointers are right on the money B)) You need a pressure regulator and a water trap.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 50ltr tank and it fills up quite quickly so the noise is kept to a minimum add that to working in the Workshop at the bottom of the Garden and im ok. The bigger the tank the longer you can go between fills but the bigger the tank the more noise the pump makes generally.

But any compressor that is suitable for airtools (like mine) with the right adapter is perfect for air brushing.

OT

I tried out my nailgun for the first time today on my kids cubby house. Man, I'm glad I know how to shoot a pistol because those nailguns are dangerous! That said, it was great fun and a heck of a lot faster than the way our grandparents did it :)

I love air tools.

I don't use a compressor, I have a 20 lb Co2 tank, and its the bomb. They usually work on tank-exchange plan (like propane), and last for ages. Whisper silent, don't need a moisture trap.

Scuba tanks are another option.

-John

I don't use a compressor, I have a 20 lb Co2 tank, and its the bomb. They usually work on tank-exchange plan (like propane), and last for ages. Whisper silent, don't need a moisture trap.

Scuba tanks are another option.

-John

Yeah I know someone who does that you only pay for the air inside the tanks. It like a giant version of the air cans that Badger and others sell for about $10/£10. works out cheaper if you can get a supplier.