Star Wars toys

There is a pic of Yoda on the back...did he ever get released? I've never seen him.

Hasn't been released yet.

The next wave will be from Attack of the Clones.

After that, there will be the first mixed wave. Yoda will be included in this mixed wave.

anyone see vintage aotc figures yet or rots commander gree?

I can take a look when I get out perusing. I don't even look at them, so I'll have to pay more attention.

Also....

New pic for the Republic Attack Ship and it's playset conversion, which I'm not sure how I feel about yet:

RepublicAttackShipAd.jpg

Someone translated the text as:

"Spaceship and Playset in one: Republic attack ship transforms in a jiffy in front orbital gliders into a ground station. With light and sound effects and an exclusive Speilgs"...which makes me think it may be an exclusive in the States, too.

On a side note: I've seen some 'clearance' CW Y-Wings and ARC-170s around, but would only get one. Leaning towards the Y-wing for my son....yeah, that's it....my son. B)) Seems more meatier with less moving parts. Thoughts?

anyone see vintage aotc figures yet or rots commander gree?

I saw the vintage Gree at Target, but have the previous one, which is the same fig. Great clone. Love the articulated wrists and the helmet is the best. Hard and big/deep enough that you don't see a chin, etc.

I can take a look when I get out perusing. I don't even look at them, so I'll have to pay more attention.

Also....

New pic for the Republic Attack Ship and it's playset conversion, which I'm not sure how I feel about yet:

Someone translated the text as:

"Spaceship and Playset in one: Republic attack ship transforms in a jiffy in front orbital gliders into a ground station. With light and sound effects and an exclusive Speilgs"...which makes me think it may be an exclusive in the States, too.

On a side note: I've seen some 'clearance' CW Y-Wings and ARC-170s around, but would only get one. Leaning towards the Y-wing for my son....yeah, that's it....my son. B)) Seems more meatier with less moving parts. Thoughts?

Uck.. Ground station? I'm not a big fan of Hasbro's added features and we buy the toys anyway, but this one just seems to take it a bit far. I suppose they play test this stuff with kids and some study told them that toys with secondary play value must be more appealing or something. I think the ROTJ vintage shuttle is an amazing toy and it has no added features. Personally I just don't get it, but thats because I'm not 8, I guess :)

I bought both the ARC 170 and Y-wing for my 7 year old. He doesn't play with either because they are too heavy and wieldy, especially the Y-wing :( I personally love both of them. The ARC 170 is a "meaty" fighter and the toy really captures the brutish and "bristly" look of the design. It displays well. The Y-wing toy is sleak and flat and doesnt display as well on a shelf, but the sculpt is almost spot-on. Its also cool because its a hero vehicle and has more screen time. As far as play-ability, the ARC 170 comes with a handle which makes it easier to hold.

While it's a cool design, I never liked the ARC-170 and always thought the Y-Wings should have been used in their place (kinda like they were from Clone Wars season 1).

While it's a cool design, I never liked the ARC-170 and always thought the Y-Wings should have been used in their place (kinda like they were from Clone Wars season 1).

I think the Arc-170 is cool...but you're right. The Y-Wing is SOOOO much better. I really dig the Clone Wars Y-Wing design.

I loved the ARC-170 design. It was a beefy assault craft, a great balance to the light Jedi Interceptors. Sure the Y-wing is iconic, but on the ARC-170, you see where the firepower is coming from. The giant cannons on the wings, the mega engine intakes, and the potential for amazing nose art. Not to mention the fact that is is following the traditional aircraft design of fuselage and wings.

If you look at the Y-wing, all you see are 2 little laser blasters on the front, and the turret on the top. I doesn't even look heavily armed, just armored.

When I saw the ARC-170, my thought immediately went to the GTF Hercules assault fighter from Descent: Freespace

post-806-129712088236_thumb.jpg

Well, grabbed the Y-Wing today for only $20 because the boxed was damaged. Couldn't pass it up. Think I'll check to see if the ARC was still in the clearance aisle and grab that, too!!

In the meantime, while sick and out-of-work, I had some figure issues.....looks like I got to get my son more bad guys!

post-1479-129729756924_thumb.jpg

post-1479-129729757666_thumb.jpg

Well, grabbed the Y-Wing today for only $20 because the boxed was damaged. Couldn't pass it up. Think I'll check to see if the ARC was still in the clearance aisle and grab that, too!!

In the meantime, while sick and out-of-work, I had some figure issues.....looks like I got to get my son more bad guys!

Awesome. I need to show this to my wife. That way I can tell her, "At least I don't buy as many as that kid's dad". Then maybe she will get off my back. ;)

Dammit Hasbro!! Why'd you have to frak things up with the two figures I wanted most?!

I think I speak for most fans when I say that we really, REALLY didn't want some stupid-ass goggles add-on feature with a Bespin Han!!! Is it that hard to just use a neutral headsculpt for Han? A version of Han that a lot of folks have been clamoring for? NO ONE wanted goggles or that little welding thing!

On a less irritating front (but nonetheless disappointing), I ain't happy with how Bastila Shan is looking. Would have preferred her pink outfit more (from the actual video gameplay), and I'm not sure how I feel about that headsculpt. The hairline looks a bit off, and I'm not getting that Kelly Lebrock look (hot-looking 80's version, not the current one) with the overall face. :unsure:

Bastila Link

Guess, I'll have to purchase some pink paint and fix her up myself. Seems like I'm having to make some sort of modification or customization with ALL the KOTOR figures I've purchased over the years. <_<

Irks me that they show more "love" to Force Unleashed figures than they do to the far more superior KOTOR games.

In any case, here's a link to the rest of the Star Wars figures up on display at the Toy Fair: From www.rebelscum.com

Edited by Mog

It was obvious months ago they were going with "iconic art on box" Bastila, not "how she actually looks". I think that's mainly to placate the non-gaming fans, who have likely only ever seen that one pic that's always shown of her.

I too much prefer the orangey-coral-pink version. (it's hard to describe that color)

Uck.. Ground station? I'm not a big fan of Hasbro's added features and we buy the toys anyway, but this one just seems to take it a bit far. I suppose they play test this stuff with kids and some study told them that toys with secondary play value must be more appealing or something. I think the ROTJ vintage shuttle is an amazing toy and it has no added features. Personally I just don't get it, but thats because I'm not 8, I guess :)

The toy industry is rife with this sort of marketing-droid thought process. As a Lego fan, I find it especially irritating because many sets are crapped up with action play gimmicky shooters or flip-change functions instead of actual Lego bricks.

Contrary to my gripe, however, (and trying to be semi-on-topic) the Star Wars Lego sets are generally better designed with more brick content than some of the other lines like Atlantis or Mars Mission, which often use a Technic frame with a few bricks tacked on.

It actually kind of makes me yearn for the days when the spring-loaded shooters were illegal and they focused more on the toys just being cool designs. :(

The toy industry is rife with this sort of marketing-droid thought process. As a Lego fan, I find it especially irritating because many sets are crapped up with action play gimmicky shooters or flip-change functions instead of actual Lego bricks.

It actually kind of makes me yearn for the days when the spring-loaded shooters were illegal and they focused more on the toys just being cool designs. :(

Well, in the end, its the kids they make these toys for. Case in point: I just showed my 7 year old son the Republic attack shuttle playset pics from Toyfair and he said "COOOOL!"

What can you do? :)

Irks me that they show more "love" to Force Unleashed figures than they do to the far more superior KOTOR games.

That's because the Force Unleashed statues are "ExXxTREME" As everyone knows, "ExXxTREME" items appeal to a larger demographic than lore-accurate ones do.

Well, in the end, its the kids they make these toys for. Case in point: I just showed my 7 year old son the Republic attack shuttle playset pics from Toyfair and he said "COOOOL!"

What can you do? :)

Thing is... I bet you eleventy dollars that he would've said COOOLLL about a Republic Shuttle that was just a really nice accurate toy with no extra gimmickry. I think toy companies are trying too hard.

Thing is... I bet you eleventy dollars that he would've said COOOLLL about a Republic Shuttle that was just a really nice accurate toy with no extra gimmickry. I think toy companies are trying too hard.

The thing I find funny about this is that as a kid, All I wanted from toys where the most accurate static depiction of the subject matter in question; as an adult however the toys that most catch my interest and impress me the most are the ones with the most lights and sounds and ridiculous gimmickry. :p

I'll bet you don't have kids. I showed him the shuttle and then I showed him that it turns into a playset. What he said was "COOOOL!" at the playset, not the shuttle.

Damn!, You have more than my son. Have to take a similar pic of my, sorry, I mean his collection.

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, looks like I'm gonna have to retract my earlier rant about the upcoming Bespin Han figure.

Rebelscum released a new pic of the figure, and the paint apps on the headsculpt look much, much better:

post-3595-129932086924_thumb.jpg

Looks a lot more promising now.

I loved the ARC-170 design. It was a beefy assault craft, a great balance to the light Jedi Interceptors. Sure the Y-wing is iconic, but on the ARC-170, you see where the firepower is coming from. The giant cannons on the wings, the mega engine intakes, and the potential for amazing nose art. Not to mention the fact that is is following the traditional aircraft design of fuselage and wings.

If you look at the Y-wing, all you see are 2 little laser blasters on the front, and the turret on the top. I doesn't even look heavily armed, just armored.

When I saw the ARC-170, my thought immediately went to the GTF Hercules assault fighter from Descent: Freespace

In the Prequels, of all the starcraft shown, only 3 were nice.

Venator Star Destroyer

Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter from Ep.II

ARC-170

I do love the way the '170 looks. It has that Old Republic elegance yet still sturdy looking appearance. Plus, it's multi-crewed, so it is a rarity for modelers in Star Wars subjects.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...