Macross Frontier Episode 1 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 1: "Close Encounter"  

132 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the theme songs and theme animation for Frontier?

• Loved both of 'em! Definitely new pants worthy.
    • Liked one more than the other. (specify)
    • This is gonna take a while to grow on me.
    • I ain't crapping in my pants for this. (i.e. Hated it)

The Frontier website was update with a few pics and description for "Hard Chase".

ランカは兄オズマの差し入れを持ってSMSに向かう途中、偶然シェリルに出会う。

展望公園にたどり着いた2人の前にアルトが現れ、3人は再会を果たすが、

その上空にバジュラが大きく迫って…。

1. The Vajra fights SMS while Ozma joins the battle, encounters Sheryl by accident.

2. It arrives to view the park (ago), then Alto appears.

3. People carry out their meeting again, but バジュラ is approaching in the sky.

post-31-1207712263_thumb.jpg

post-31-1207712268_thumb.jpg

post-31-1207712281_thumb.jpg

I just saw AiA&I-Z's fansub, I didn't like it....translation mistakes are noticable I know I heard Kaibutsu "monster" and somehow they translate that as "Kaim" and I really want it gettin straightened out, his name is either Mikhail or Michael, but diffenetly NOT Michelle.

And the Rainbow Corkscrew is the Mainfall Corkscrew...and I perfer Lanka over Ranka and Alto over Altoh...1 letter but yeah...never seen it as Altoh.

<nods> True, true. That way is a good first step when initially learning Japanese. However, Japanese has this concept of getting more finely nuanced (or difficult) the more you learn. The art of translating involves trying to best match what is stated in the original language to something that gets across both the main meaning, and the possible other meanings. Though, in the vast majority of cases, the subtelty gets lots. Hence "lost in translation".

Hmm....then i guess its just a matter of "preference". I prefer the words to be translated literally. Any "subtlety" will have to be discerned by the viewer him/herself. As a good example, AFK's translations tend to translate stuff in a very american context which although might be the true context of a particular scene but in terms of translation not exactly accurate. Like "Kairei kudasai" into "just get lost" rather than the more accurate "just go home". And remember the Gurren Lagann Nyoron subs that included the "F***" in the WHO THE F*** DO YOU THINK I AM....oh sure...added for extra context but the f-bombs aren't exactly accurate.

Hmm....then i guess its just a matter of "preference". I prefer the words to be translated literally. Any "subtlety" will have to be discerned by the viewer him/herself. As a good example, AFK's translations tend to translate stuff in a very american context which although might be the true context of a particular scene but in terms of translation not exactly accurate. Like "Kairei kudasai" into "just get lost" rather than the more accurate "just go home". And remember the Gurren Lagann Nyoron subs that included the "F***" in the WHO THE F*** DO YOU THINK I AM....oh sure...added for extra context but the f-bombs aren't exactly accurate.

You might be too constrained in your view of "kaere" (かえれ, 帰れ); it can be used to simply mean "get out." You can plug it into http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi or http://www.df.lth.se/cgi-bin/j-e/dict for reference.

The addition of the four-letter-fs is very likely not an accurate representation of the tone/context in the case(s) you've cited, and is a lack of editorial discretion and a translator overzealously injecting his own world-view opposed to attempting to objectively interpret it.

I just saw AiA&I-Z's fansub, I didn't like it....translation mistakes are noticable I know I heard Kaibutsu "monster" and somehow they translate that as "Kaim" and I really want it gettin straightened out, his name is either Mikhail or Michael, but diffenetly NOT Michelle.

And the Rainbow Corkscrew is the Mainfall Corkscrew...and I perfer Lanka over Ranka and Alto over Altoh...1 letter but yeah...never seen it as Altoh.

On second listen, you're right, it's kaibutsu (*changes in script for DVD version*). I heard kaimukun likely because of the music vs the voice levels being too different on my setup the first time around. I don't hear rainbow myself but it's a possibility for that instance. There's always a chance I won't hear it right for whatever reason.

Mikhail thing was pointed out above, now that I know about this little thing, I'll note it for later. Altoh was a decision on my part to simply differentiate from the word alto. It's a name so doing Altoh makes his name stand out from the musical term.

At any rate, I welcome PMs or emails about various things I may have missed or messed up in the translation area. In most cases, mistakes I make will be likely be because I'm not hearing it correctly so pointing out anything that you may have heard better would be quite helpful. Unlike a lot of other translators, I love getting input to fix scripts.

Or I could just go back to enjoying the content all by myself. :lol:

wolfx: Nyoron's Gurren isn't an example of using correct terms and phrasing to better convey context, that was just outright swearing for the joy of it. I'm not gonna comment on the other one you mentioned because it'd just be retreading my context point.

Edited by Shouta

Not likely. I think the releases will be mp4 throughout. Were you having problems playing mp4s?

well. yes and no..... i can watch mp4's on my computer no problem via various codec packs, but i'd like to share this with a friend via his DivX player (no internet fool mate of mine) .... i'm having a hard time converting it back.

Edited by vermillion01

well. yes and no..... i can watch mp4's on my computer no problem via various codec packs, but i'd like to share this with a friend via his DivX player (no internet fool mate of mine) .... i'm having a hard time converting it back.

Hrm, so you need a Divx version of it. I might be able to help you with it later this week but no guarantee. I'll toss you a PM if I can but won't I can't.

Bigger question is why doesn't he have internet. =(

Hrm, so you need a Divx version of it. I might be able to help you with it later this week but no guarantee. I'll toss you a PM if I can but won't I can't.

Bigger question is why doesn't he have internet. =(

Cheers Shouta... if you can great.. if you cant.. no worries. I appreciate the effort you've put in on this nonetheless.

We live on a small island in the UK with only one ISP that unfortunately charges a stoooooooooooopid amount for internet/broadband, so i take it upon myself to help out where i can... You wouldnt believe how many of my friends dont have BBand. :wacko:

From the OP.

Triangler doesn't feel very macrossy and so does the OP. Not sure why though since the only OP we got was from SDF, Mac2 and Mac7.

Comments on OP video:

-Battle 25....@&*!*@ signed!

-Alto as a kabuki trap....omg i'd hit it! :lol:

-Kuu Klaan <3

-The bigger valkyrie next to the silhoutte of the VF-25....hmmm...looks like the mystery magenta plane we saw in the special.

2004402999289862646_rs.jpg

From reviews of websites, there seem to be some notable changes on ep 1 compared to deculture episod with added scenes and removed parts though the removed ones aren't significant.

Can anyone get those pictures in higher resolution?

I enjoyed both versions, but I liked DE better, primarily for the music. Not just the better rendition of Don't be Late, but really the instrumentals. The opening scene was much more exciting in DE, and also the second half of the attack. That's what I miss most.

And the ghosts... 'cuz I <3 them...

Edit: Wow, I'm not used to torrents going so fast! Hooray for popular, current stuff! I'm used to waiting a day and a half.

On the orchestral/instrumental music. They basically spliced the "desperate last stand" music in DE (which came up in the UN Spacy HQ abt the last lines being breached and needing to down the shields) into the scenes of the Vf-171s being picked apart in the broadcast edition.

I think the concern was that having "don't be late" playing while the good guys were getting blown up was not appropriate (to new macross fans i guess).

Pity, i particularly liked the orchestral tunes being timed in DE to the scenes of the Vajra breaking through the last line of defence (I think it was Vermillion squadron or smthinig). Conveyed a more epic feeling than the music used in the Broadcast edition for that scene.

Pity, i particularly liked the orchestral tunes being timed in DE to the scenes of the Vajra breaking through the last line of defence (I think it was Vermillion squadron or smthinig). Conveyed a more epic feeling than the music used in the Broadcast edition for that scene.

Precisely, that scene made the hairs on my arm stand up the first time I saw it. The music really added to William's desperation to keep big red from reaching Island1. Now, it just kinda happened.

Fortunately, though - this week we can move beyond all this DE bellyaching, because it's ALL NEW from here! Woohoo! Hopefully, the subs will come out faster from now on.

Can anyone get those pictures in higher resolution?

Depends which ones you want?

I have frame captures in 1080x720.

That is where I got the images for the new Walls I created HERE.

I also have the show in 1920x1080, but the MP4 has errors in it, so I can't get good frame caps at that resolution... :angry:

Edited by Zinjo

It's like Shouta said, when you got stuff distracting you and limiting your hearing, you sometimes put in the wrong thing.

I can forgive the mistakes with the high quality video :p just to bad I can't put that on my 360 and watch it on my big screen.

I kind of laugh every time I see Michelle instead of Michel. It's like people haven't heard that Michel is the French version of Michael.

Why the character is referred by both names is a totally different question.

Wish I knew more than 3 languages, would make my job easier. :lol:

But yeah, why the heck would they refer to him in two different languages, it doesn't make any sense.

ミハエル ブラン=>ブラン is the japanese transcription for the french word "BRUN", aka brown. The Egan Loo's "Buran" is not correct.

It's hard to say. Mikhail is a Russian name. Though, this page http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%9E%E3%...83%AD%E3%82%B9F claims the Romanization to be "Mihael Bran"!

The only correct thing about it, is that it is the correct Romanization of the Japanese into English. I'll also add that the live action "bookends" to the Deculture Edition of Eps. 01 specifically pointed out and focused in on the one foreigner working on Macross F - an animator originally from France. Read whatever you will into that.

I kind of laugh every time I see Michelle instead of Michel. It's like people haven't heard that Michel is the French version of Michael.

Why the character is referred by both names is a totally different question.

Tell me about it! It still bugs me that Manga Entertainment decided in M+ to call the designer of the YF-19 "Yang" Neumann when his name is supposed to be "Jan." Pronounced the same in Japanese, but very different cultural implications...

EDIT: typo

Edited by Gubaba

It's hard to say. Mikhail is a Russian name. Though, this page http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%9E%E3%...83%AD%E3%82%B9F claims the Romanization to be "Mihael Bran"!

The only correct thing about it, is that it is the correct Romanization of the Japanese into English. I'll also add that the live action "bookends" to the Deculture Edition of Eps. 01 specifically pointed out and focused in on the one foreigner working on Macross F - an animator originally from France. Read whatever you will into that.

It is possible that this animator convinced Kawamori to make Michel a French character, thus one could surmise his name to be Michel Brun aka Michael Brown in English. Given the good relations Japan and France have had over the years (particularly with respect to anime), it is not impossible.

I would dearly love a wallpaper of Alto on the catapult with the -25 rising behind him, I have one but he's just about out of frame and really blurry :(

I have a few caps of that, which part were you looking for?

It is a fairly long sequence (in terms of frames) with several subtitles on it.

And yes, I like it too... ^_^

Edited by Zinjo

It is possible that this animator convinced Kawamori to make Michel a French character, thus one could surmise his name to be Michel Brun aka Michael Brown in English. Given the good relations Japan and France have had over the years (particularly with respect to anime), it is not impossible.

But what about his ears!

I was thinking the same thing; Michel is a common name is Quebec, and is pronounced similarly to the English name 'Michelle'; which would lead me to believe that Not-Focker was pronouncing it correctly.

Edited by Sketch

Either that, or the name is Mikhail Buran and Kawamori is doing a double aerospace homage to both Mikhail Gurevich (the G in MiG) and the Soviet Space Shuttle Buran. It wouldn't be the first time he honours an aeroplane designer.

Besides, Buran means Blizzard in Russian, and that's so much cooler than just... brown...

Edited by Lindem Herz

Either that, or the name is Mikhail Buran and Kawamori is doing a double aerospace homage to both Mikhail Gurevich (the G in MiG) and the Soviet Space Shuttle Buran. It wouldn't be the first time he honours an aeroplane designer.

Besides, Buran means Blizzard in Russian, and that's so much cooler than just... brown...

It would be nice to find out if there is something more to it or not...

The ears could simply be he's a product of a human father and meltran mother, without the rainbow colored hair...

Ok. Watched the BE. Still a great animation quality.

Great production value.

Rushed edit (a lot of things going on without pause or explanation if you didn't see the DE).

Good for the added concert scenes.

Still lame character designs (specially Alto, Lucca, Michelle & Ranka).

Will keep watching it, but hope the story makes up for the really really lame-a$$ chars. :huh:

By the way, does any one know if this encoding is readable by the PS3?

Edited by Garou Kuroryuu

Well the way Alto pronounced it, it sounds more like Mikhail than Michael... the way the SMS guy says it though, he says "Michel" like in French. Duh that's confusing :wacko:

-Sergorn

Well the way Alto pronounced it, it sounds more like Mikhail than Michael... the way the SMS guy says it though, he says "Michel" like in French. Duh that's confusing :wacko:

-Sergorn

That's common tho.

When watching Eureka 7, all the characters pronounced Eureka with their best estimation of English phonics, but apparently weren't aware it was an Italian name. Only 1 actress pronounced it correctly and she was only in one episode.... :rolleyes: