Macross Frontier Episode 1 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 1: "Close Encounter"  

132 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the theme songs and theme animation for Frontier?

• Loved both of 'em! Definitely new pants worthy.
    • Liked one more than the other. (specify)
    • This is gonna take a while to grow on me.
    • I ain't crapping in my pants for this. (i.e. Hated it)

Just finished watching the raw first episode. I can't say I like it or dislike it. It took some parts out that made more sense in the Deculture Edition. On the other hand, the added scenes are quite cool and fun to watch. Not a bad deal. I just hope the DVD edit version (if there is such a thing) would incorporate best of both versions and made it into an extended version ala Battlestar Galactica's DVD releases. But that's just my hope.

The OP is growing on me. The ED made me cringe.

The BGM when the VF-171 was first deployed reminded me of the original SDFM's valkyrie scramble BGM. Very nicely done.

The new SDF for Macross Frontier is absolutely gorgeous.

The brought back the twin boom look of the original

and that is cool in my book.

Now that we've established Ozma's color is yellow, Alto is red, Mikhail is blue and Luca is green.

I am just wondering how long before Luca walks down Kakizaki's path?

Can anyone confirm the length of Frontier? I think I heard that it was 25,000 meters long.

Now to wait for Episode 2!

Edited by Project Phoenix

What a bunch of ******* !!! They cut Isamu's hand gesture !!! And where are the VF-171 in all that !?!?!? Graham can always complain about Gundam 00, but at least Gundam 00 does not have a poo editing like the that. With that kind of poo, Macross will be always light years behind Gundam. Macross Frontier will be another Macross Zero : A WASTE !!!

Seems like they could've at least rendered everything in high quality for the opening, instead of resorting to low-polygon missiles, even if it was just for a few frames.

In fact, for a few frames, I think they should've fixed this. Later frames in this sequence have higher polygon missiles. (Don't they know people will be looking at this frame by frame? It is 2008)

post-6299-1207340947_thumb.jpg post-6299-1207341028_thumb.jpg

I suppose it's too much to ask for a beer can when human hands aren't even touching these frames anymore.

hmm...just watched the RAW, they've cleaned up the animation, but I most say the editing was a little off, a lot of moments just don't make sense, most of us understand thme 'cause we've watched the DE, but I guess a new viewer would be a bit confused, I can't say I don't like it, it's still an intriguing episode and loved the new concert scene (Sheryl is so hot) , makes more sense and Lt. Glass has more airtime also, but what I really dislike was the BGM pacing, it doesn't flow with what's going on, it's out of sync, and for me it's take out a lot of excitement from the episode...

oh well, still good, can't wait for episode 2

YEI! MACROSS FRONTIER IS HERE!!!!

FINALLY! Zero-Raws has a DivX version which is up on nyaatorrents!

Yoshinols for everyone! My treat!

(Unless it turns out not to be the broadcast version...)

I'm going to take back my fuzzy compliment if this DivX version doesn't look and sound any better. ;)

is this the subbed version? finally?

AWesome.

is this the subbed version? finally?

No, it's raw. But my old Mac with old VLC refuses to accept that 264 is the wave of the future, and simply won't play it.

I'm assuming I can't be the only one here unable to play the Q-R version, so I figured it's debut in another format was worth a mention.

Patience, patience...fansubs should be arriving in a few days. Shinsen Subs got their Deculture version out three days after it aired.

No, it's raw. But my old Mac with old VLC refuses to accept that 264 is the wave of the future, and simply won't play it.

I'm assuming I can't be the only one here unable to play the Q-R version, so I figured it's debut in another format was worth a mention.

Patience, patience...fansubs should be arriving in a few days. Shinsen Subs got their Deculture version out three days after it aired.

sorry i got spoiled by other animes that get subbed fast.

About the low-poly-ness of the graphics, remember this is a weekly series. Using models of that detail level probably reduces production time drastically, since it seriously simplifies shading/lighting calculations. Cel-shaded rendering isn't anything simple either, so the less detail you give it to work with, the faster your renders are going to complete.

What I find interesting is that the graphics actually look simple enough to possibly run in real-time, as in for a video game. I wouldn't put it past Bandai to be simultaneously developing a game or two to coincide with the series, using the exact same graphics models to save on production. So, they may eventually make a game that looks almost identical to the series, which wouldn't be a bad thing at all to me. :) Macross F for the PS3 anyone?

Edited by Chronocidal

hours after the raws come out.

Damn. That's impressive. I'm far from fluent in Japanese, but still, it takes me hours even to translate a SONG, much less a half-hour show...and that doesn't even count the work to slap the subs onto the video file.

EDIT "the work," not "to work."

Edited by Gubaba

Honestly I didn't even notice the polygons stuff and it doesn't really bother me as there's only so much you can do with a weekly aired show. I honestly hope the rest of the series is well paced and well directed. This first episode left me completely underwhelmed. If I didn't watch the deculture edition I would of said this show highlights little potential if it keeps going like this. Pray for the best episode 2 is next week. I hope its at least an 8 out of 10 unlike this weeks. :mellow:

You could tell the relatively low polygon count from the Deculture Edition back in December. The first tracking shot of the Macross 25 was very telling, especially along the edge of the city shell. This shouldn't be coming as a revelation. Chronocidal is correct, this is a series that is on a budget, no matter how impressive that budget may be for an anime. You're not going to see big budget, Zoic Studios style BSG animation with models in the millions of polygons. Keeping the polygon count moderated is probably the only way they could produce this level of animation detail and quality in an ongoing series. Besides, I don't see too many people complaining about color mistakes on freeze frame in traditional cel animation.

For my part, I'll take a few lower polygon shots over the horrors of AnimeFriend in SDFM any day.