Bandai 'chunky monkey' 1/55 re-reissues

Shaggydog

Actually it doesn't... none of those guys have ever been in danger of being suspended or banned. Trying to create anonimity between members and mods after you just been suspended is just being a poor sport. Id advise getting over it.

I want to know, did anyone here change their mind about ordering this toy from an importer when they heard that it was being released domestically by Toynami? I'm curious to see who did and who didn't.

I kinda did. I was a bit on the fence about ordering it at all, then I saw it would be released domestically and figured I'd just wait it out and hopefully get a domestic release for cheaper than the cost of buying one. As it is now, I never bought the origin valk... but at this point if they released it today I probably still wouldn't buy them until I found them on sale.

Yes, I noticed that I'm one of the few people around here who uses their real name.

haha, I actually chuckled when I saw I used the wrong word... I meant "animosity"

Really that's your real name? I thought you were trying to be funny...

I use my real name :) Well - at least one of them :)

Anyways - back to the nostalgia/chunkies topic.

I think that Bandai's 1/55 reissues might have simply fallen victim to the global economic downturn somewhat. I personally would have gotten all of them if not for the credit crunch and the need to prioritize (and it's not just a Yamato vs Bandai thing, but often Bandai vs Bandai as well - aka - there's a whole mess of stuff, SOCs etc that I prefer to get first and the chunkies are somewhere down there on the list)...

If money wasn't tight and things weren't so uncertain, I probably would have at least picked up a few of them - out of a sense of collector's curiosity, semi-nostalgia and completist mindset.

Also, they were priced kind of high for what they were - relative to the new v.2 1/60s from Yamato - they were expensive.

But then again, Encore Transformers are also priced higher than Henkei and the corresponding new lines (like Animated).

And Graham's example about his son prefering the newer figures is spot on - I think - insofar as these nostalgia items are really becoming more and more niche than ever before.

I think there have been two generations of kids that grew up following out 80s childhoods (for those like me who had childhoods in the 80s) and their nostalgia is 90s and 2000-2009.

It's been a LONG time - if you think about it - and there's been a lot of stuff in between.

Pete (real name- one of them at least)

I want to know, did anyone here change their mind about ordering this toy from an importer when they heard that it was being released domestically by Toynami? I'm curious to see who did and who didn't.

A domestic release - and an associated lower price - was the factor that actually made me consider adding it to my 'wish list' at all... and at that it would only have been the 'new' DYRL Max Super. I've already got previous editions of the others. So, I supposed this might not be the answer you're looking for.

But I was looking forward to Toynami managing a legitimate Macross Valk import. As you probably know of me, walking out of a US retailer with a domestic release of a Japanese product - be it a Disney Studio Ghibli release from Wal Mart or a Bandai Godzilla toy from KayBee - means a lot to my old-school otaku heart.

I'm honestly really surprised MegaCorp Bandai hasn't managed to bully Tatsunoko and Big West into some sort of mutually amicable, money-making agreement in the matter. If anyone could, it would have to be Bandai. That is has failed to happen is personally very disappointing to me as a North American collector.

I wasn't too fussed about the 'Origin' re-releases. Apart from a few very minor things like the stickers on the dicast landing gear and (finally) getting a heat-shield for the 1J, I couldn't see any difference to the re-releases from a few years ago. If Toynami had followed through with the new retractible heads that they were showing off at SDCC last year then I'd have been all over them, but since they seem to have bottled out on that I just decided to make a custom that does that.

Of course, if they actually re-released the rarer valks (ie. Hikaru Strike 1S, GBP armor, Elint and Ostrich), then I'm sure they'd sell like gangbusters (I'd buy the hell out of them personally). Would it be a case of rights to the figure design or not being able to locate the original molds? I wouldn't want to think it was just down to ineptitude.

Of course, if they actually re-released the rarer valks (ie. Hikaru Strike 1S, GBP armor, Elint and Ostrich), then I'm sure they'd sell like gangbusters

If they sold those eggs they'd need a lot of hens. Those 4 could be recession busters for Bandai.

Yup. I was originally going to import the Origins of Valkyrie Super Max 1A fom Japan, but when I heard that Toynami was going to release the classic 1/55's, I decided to wait. It would have been cheaper to buy it through Toynami, plus I would have liked to demonstrate my support of the deal with my wallet. Alas!

Yup. I was originally going to import the Origins of Valkyrie Super Max 1A fom Japan, but when I heard that Toynami was going to release the classic 1/55's, I decided to wait. It would have been cheaper to buy it through Toynami, plus I would have liked to demonstrate my support of the deal with my wallet. Alas!

Same here. I felt the same way AcroRay did too.

I wasn't too fussed about the 'Origin' re-releases. Apart from a few very minor things like the stickers on the dicast landing gear and (finally) getting a heat-shield for the 1J, I couldn't see any difference to the re-releases from a few years ago. If Toynami had followed through with the new retractible heads that they were showing off at SDCC last year then I'd have been all over them, but since they seem to have bottled out on that I just decided to make a custom that does that.

Of course, if they actually re-released the rarer valks (ie. Hikaru Strike 1S, GBP armor, Elint and Ostrich), then I'm sure they'd sell like gangbusters (I'd buy the hell out of them personally). Would it be a case of rights to the figure design or not being able to locate the original molds? I wouldn't want to think it was just down to ineptitude.

Somewhere at the bottom of the ocean are all the molds for the Elint, Ostrich, and the strike and the GBP. Maybe in the future the Aliens will come and discover it in what is then a desert.

I'm just happy they are coming out in the new 1/60s. I honestly don't even look at my Ostrich after wanting it for so long.

Somewhere at the bottom of the ocean are all the molds for the Elint, Ostrich, and the strike and the GBP. Maybe in the future the Aliens will come and discover it in what is then a desert.

There'd be the wreckage of a warehouse, with all this thick sandwiches of rusted metal in them... row upon row, in piles with rotten wood around them. What would the futuremen think of them?

I expect Bandai still has the tooling, even if they're not usable due to wear, decay or obsolescene (older tools sometimes require older models of injection machines). They'd at least keep them for reference, and pantograph (or 3D scan and auto-lathe) new ones from them.

If they were scrapped, they'd be crushed and melted down. Or the cavities would be cut out, filled and re-tooled into some other product.

Sorry for the tangent.

• 3 weeks later...

I did some asking around and it appears that the Toynami/Tamashi deal for the old 1/55th's is still in the works, just been delayed. It hasn't been derailed by Big West or anything like that, at least not apparently.

Delayed til when? Any word on the Strike, GPS-1, ELINT, or SUPER O?

That information I do not have (either dates or any developments on the VF-1 variants or remolded heads). All I know is that things are still on. Just remember it took quite a few years between the time Toynami showed their original Beta prototype until an actual production toy that would work with their Alpha actually came out. If I can find out anything more and if I'm given the okay, I'll post it here.

That information I do not have (either dates or any developments on the VF-1 variants or remolded heads). All I know is that things are still on. Just remember it took quite a few years between the time Toynami showed their original Beta prototype until an actual production toy that would work with their Alpha actually came out. If I can find out anything more and if I'm given the okay, I'll post it here.
That was due to them trying to make a toy from scratch though, with the valkyries the only new tooling would be the new heads for the Robotech Veritech releases.

Also is the Macross Frontier lineup by Tamashii in the mix?

That was due to them trying to make a toy from scratch though, with the valkyries the only new tooling would be the new heads for the Robotech Veritech releases.

Also is the Macross Frontier lineup by Tamashii in the mix?

I'll have to look into that. To my memory, the only thing in the official announcement almost a year ago was the 1/55th only.

• 2 weeks later...
I'll have to look into that. To my memory, the only thing in the official announcement almost a year ago was the 1/55th only.

IMO, the Bandai 1/55 Origin of Valkyrie toys will never be officially released in the U.S. by Toynami. I understand that Big West did put a stop to this effort long ago. Apparently Bandai and Toynami were in agreement, but Big West was not. If anyone wants the 4 latest Bandai 1/55s from a U.S.-based dealer, I recommend Treasure Island Sports. They delivered mine back in August. In a related licensing issue, Big West is also the reason why, IF, a live action Robotech movie gets produced by WB, it will never feature the original Macross cast. Say hello to Scott Bernard.

Any more info on that?

I've heard this from a number of people. The last valkyrie batch from Bandai was released 9 months ago; Toynami's announcement was over a year ago; Big West is delaying such a deal. CollectionDX has a mention of it here: "The 1/55 valkyries with the re-tooled heads are on hiatus, due to a licensing issue with Big West."

http://www.collectiondx.com/article/nytf09...bandai_tamashii

I believe cancelled, not hiatus, is the more appropriate term...

• 3 weeks later...
That would have been great a selling feature, but I think Bandai was going for a total 80's nostalgic vibe with these. But after the Yamato 1/48 1/60 system.... Well its hard to be as excited as when you were 10 y/o in 1985 and seeing a Jetfire or Bandai VF for the 1st time!!!

Yeah when I was really little back in the 80s my parents bought me a 1S roy similar to the Banpresto valks might be the same. Banpresto ever existed in the 80s? Anyway once I saw Transformers Jetfire and saw how big it was I just went ape $hit. lol :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I attended Super Con in San Jose last weekend and Kevin McKeever was at the Robotech.com panel. My friend asked him what was going on with this, and he replied that the deal is still on to make them, but that Bandai is holding up the deal. The new heads were sent to Bandai for approval and manufacturing, but there hasn't been anything new to report from the Bandai side of things.

• 2 weeks later...
Awesome pics Jet7.

Please do post more :D

gee thanks!

i have a yamato.. but i feel much more comfortable playing with these.. its just feels so solid..

you guys all know for details and poseability yamato wins by a mile.. but for playability.. these bandai's are great.

and talk about cherishing your childhoold :D

again let me share some shots of the chunkies..

bandai021.jpg

bandai024.jpg

bandai015.jpg

bandai026.jpg

nice010.jpg

nice028.jpg

nice182.jpg

nice046.jpg