Bandai 'chunky monkey' 1/55 re-reissues

Shaggydog

• 1 month later...
Guest sh002

i'm guessing the vf-1a super max and hikaru and the vf-1j and vf-1s are either going to be harder to find online or for cheap or people will have to wait even longer to get them from US retailers. good thing i bought mine off ebay as a set for cheap a while back.

Same here, all the etailers keep bumping up listing revised list dates that inevitably keep getting pushed back. It's not their fault, I wonder what the hold up is with Toynami.

The hold up is not with Toynami but rather Bandai. BW told Bandai told cut that crap out and Bandai listened. Toynami has dropped all talk about Bandai Macross merchandise in the US recently. Is any of this clear cut and in writing? No so you can cling to hope but I think both companies are moving on.

Edited by jenius

Are these the same one that were released a few years back?

Essentially, yes, but the ones that were potentially going to be released 'stateside by Toynami boasted redesigned heads with collapsible necks, and would have featured valks like the '1D and others that were either never released or fan favorites.

Essentially, yes, but the ones that were potentially going to be released 'stateside by Toynami boasted redesigned heads with collapsible necks, and would have featured valks like the '1D and others that were either never released or fan favorites.

Collapsible necks? Dam...that'd be pretty cool. It would be nice to see some re engineering of the old school valks.

Yeah, the examples they had on show the other year looked great, its such a shame that it looks like we won't be seeing them (and not the first time redesigned heads have failed to make it to production if I remember correctly :( ).

I got so impatient waiting that I did the mod myself on my custom strike '1S. I was able to get it to tuck in about 6mm or so but there's not too much room in the heads when you take into account the bar for the head lasers.

If someone did manage to re-engineer the heads for a production release I'd be all over it, but I'm not pinning my hopes on it at this stage. Still, it's a testament to the design that it's still getting re-released 2 decades after it was first introduced. The old Taka's are a real work of art. I found an old SDF-1 at SDCC this year and I was overjoyed. It's the same one that my Father got for me when I was a kid and its what got me hooked on giant robots. Diecast components, ratchet joints... Awesome!

Edited by mitch

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's a shame we didn't at least get a Strike Valkyrie out of the Origin of Valkyrie line. It was cool to see a Max Super 1A, but honestly I think it would have been better to release a Strike and THEN the Super Hikaru/Max afterwards.

Ah well. 30th Anniversary is in 2 years. Maybe(hopefully) we'll see a Strike reissue then.

Agreed! Lets hope someone releases a super strike it would be great even if they don't move on to the ostrich or elint.

I don't understand why bandai doesn't mimic yamato and release stand alone fast packs and armor. The gbp came stand alone or gift-set... but that was taka. I know if bandai released a stand alone strike pack it would probably outsell valks as many of us already have vf's and jetfires lying around that would be much improved with a strike cannon or two. Seeker and o' armor would be super cool but I expect that they would not sell as well as stand alone... not everybody has loose e's and o's sporting resin :( . A gbp reissue might sell well however. Not that bandai would listen to me anyways but I can dream :rolleyes:

what does it cost to make an injection mold anyways? Even if the original molds are damaged couldn't bandai afford to but an original and scan it? And I doubt bandai would issue bandai a cease and "however the heck you spell" deassist.

why can't they do a redo it into a 1/60 line with the experience they have on the mac f. the hi metal line feels half baked since it doesnt have deployable landing gears.

It's because licenses in Japan are sometimes per scale, and currently Yamato has the license for VF-1's in 1/60 scale. When that license expires, Bandai can obtain it, but it seems like they are more content with the smaller, 1/100 VF HI METAL route.

• 4 weeks later...

Correct me if I am wrong, why Bandai put in all the efforts to do all the tampo printing but left out the shoulder markings on reissue? I don't get it, it's such a main marking in battroid mode. Both the original Takatoku/Bandai have the shoulder marking pre-factory applied.

• 3 weeks later...

Manage to get some good deal on chunky monkeys, left VF-1J Hikaru, Max and Milia to complete the bunch.

Here's a quick snap of the monkeys on my table.

VF-1FighterChunky.jpg

VF-1BattriodChunky.jpg

btw, how hard is it to find a 1/55 Elintseeker?

The 1/55 Elintseeker is the holy grail of Chunky Monkey Valks. VERY hard to obtain a mint, complete one. They were released in smaller numbers...Macross fans go nuts over them-so they have retained much of their value over the years. Other Chunky Monkey releases have dropped in value, but they're coming back up. Slowly.

I do know there is a conversion kit someone made. Don't know much else about that kit. I tried to get my hands on one over the years but have been unsuccessful.

If you want Elintseekers, keep your eye on eBay. The real deal, complete with tray, box, and all accessories, in good shape will cost you north of 500 big ones. I even saw one a while back go over the 1,200 range. That's a lot-but I do remember not too long before Yamato began their reign, that the same toy would sell for 4 - 5 times that.

Hope this helps a bit.

woah.. thanks for the info on Elintseeker. I know they are rare and low in quantity but didn't know people would pay that much. Looks like both Elintseeker and the Super Ostrich have to remain out of my chunky monkey collection =_=. btw i did saw sky high prices on takatoku pieces, condition is pristine though but they are price above 400 and up to 600 plus..