1/100 Anonymous VF-1J

ce25254

Here's a 1/100 Bandai variable VF-1J that I had sitting around mostly finished for about 15 years. As has been stated this kit is really out of proportion, but it looks OK in fighter mode. I had painted at the time of assembly with a sort of low-visibility gull grey.

This is the Millia kit, modeled in red plastic. The box art looks like this but says copyright 1985: http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/models...ban_505200b.jpg ... I'm sure I bought it in the late '80s, definitely not 1994-5 as the MW model list shows: http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/models...bandai_1994.htm

Last month, I applied the decals, with a custom number (230). The decal sheet came with decals for Max, Millia, and basic markings. I did panel lining wash and some highlighting, and then some dirtying up overall.

Flaws: unfortunately I have no idea what color was used for the dark grey, and there are some chips that need to be repainted on the rocket launchers. I just left them. Also I am missing a part on the back of the super pack cannon. And I didn't bother to fill in the huge pits on top of the reactive missiles. Oh well. I'm ready to move on from this one, it looks better than it did before. :-)

I made the base from wood and an aluminum rod. There is a flat bar of styrene attached to the top of the rod, and the plane sits on top of that.

Let me know what you think.

cE

post-6299-1205157440_thumb.jpgpost-6299-1205157447_thumb.jpgpost-6299-1205157453_thumb.jpg

Nice job, looks like that valk is flyin' high! B))

That kit does build into a good representation. The only problem in fighter mode I think is that the intake area gets so darn thick and bulky. Just a result of the transformation engineering. I like the battloid mode too except for the terrible angle that the forearms are stuck in. No rotation at the bicep. <_<

The color scheme you used looks much more like a real world example. Thanks for sharing the pics.

What's up next?

Nice job, looks like that valk is flyin' high! B))

That kit does build into a good representation. The only problem in fighter mode I think is that the intake area gets so darn thick and bulky. Just a result of the transformation engineering. I like the battloid mode too except for the terrible angle that the forearms are stuck in. No rotation at the bicep. <_<

The color scheme you used looks much more like a real world example. Thanks for sharing the pics.

What's up next?

It is definetly a bulky one and the wings look a little stubby themselves...but an allaround nice piece of work there ce25254. Keep up the good work. Now that the wife is back in town I have my camera back and I will be able to post some of my work.

:ph34r:

What's up next?

Thanks! Next for Macross eventually will be my VF-1S and VE-1 Hasegawa kits, and my VF-4. But right now I'm working on a customized Babylon 5 Lost Tales Starfury. This is all to get my skills back up to speed so I can do justice to the Macross kits, of course. :-D

BTW, jardann, I finally got a pin vise and was able to fix my broken 1/72 VF-1J head cannon as you suggested, with a tiny brass rod! (See http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?s=&a...t&p=535434). In these pics of the 1/100 you might be able to pick out that I drilled out the head cannon barrels. I never knew drilling could be so fun, or so unnerving...

cE

Edited by ce25254

Good deal ce!

You'll find all kinds of things to do with that pin-vise and bits. I know what you mean about drilling out those barrels. Got to get the bit centered and keep it there or else you're in trouble. :wacko:

Pin vise, couldn't live without mine; either one! The valk looks great considering the subject. That kit is a pain to build and paint - especially in white. Great job! - MT