VF - 25 Howler

VF - 25 Vanguard

VF - 25 Icarus

VF - 25 Catalyst

VF - 25 Spartan

VF - 25 Deculture

Would 've liked those, but messiah cuts it

Edited by whispo

From Wikipedia: "Literally, Messiah means "The Anointed (One)", typically someone anointed with holy anointing oil. Figuratively, anointing is done to signify being chosen for a task; so, Messiah means "The Chosen (One)", particularly someone divinely chosen."

So strictly-speaking, it doesn't carry a specific religious connotation - but it's interesting to note that the concept of a Messiah is usually applied to the Christian, Jewish, AND Islamic tradition. So we're not talking about a particular religion here - and besides, it's just a nickname ("pet name" in the translation) like "Star Mirage", no?

Mark <--- Likes it

Edited by Mark Nguyen

Messiah? Blah, stupidest name ever. Sounds like a name thought up by a religious fundamentalist. x_x

i'm a religious fundamentalist, but i'm not too keen on the name either. <_<

VF-25 "Messiah"... Mmmmh... I'm kinda skeptic, but I may like it more & more over time...

VF-0 Phoenix

VF-1 Valkyrie

VA-3 Invader

VB-6 König Monster

VF-3000 Crusader

VF-4 Lightning III

VF-5000 Star Mirage

VF-9 Cutlass

VF-11 Thunderbolt

VF-14 Vampire

VF-17 Nightmare

VF-19 Excalibur

VF-22 Sturmvogel II

VF-25 Messiah

I believe it kinda fits. No other Variable Fighter has a name that starts with an "M"...

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

I suppose that a Valkyrie IS a Holy Trinity, of sorts. Three modes in one Valk.

Trinity maybe, holy? don't think so <_<

As long as we don't see Alto's Vf-25 pop out angel wings and go flying around leaving feathers in space Gundam style or VF-0A in the M0 finale i am cool with the name.

Edited by RichterX

Well, I don't like the name "Messiah", but it reminds me of a Min May's song... what was it? err.. Oh, yes: Little White Dragon (or so)... Maybe the name was chosen because of that and the 25th aniversary... Now I'm wondering, what about the VF-171 nickname?...

HMMMm......VF-25 MESSIAH

"My boyfriend is a Pontius Pilate"?

Would the VF-25 Messiah would cure Parts-forming rather than leprosy?

Will Alto die on the Ma-CROSS?

To paraphrase Chandler from Friends: "Too. Many. Jokes. Must. Mock. Kawamori."

HMMMm......VF-25 MESSIAH

Well the name is apt if the VF-25, through its pilot, helps to bring peace and prosperity to NUNS and human/zent-kind. Besides Jewish, Bahá'í, Christian, Zoroastrian and Islamic all teach about messiahs (the anointed ones) and so. It isn't just regulated to Christians.

'Messiah' - Not a bad name. It's short & simple. Another word for 'Saviour', even if it does so in ways inverse to the one in a popular religion. And you can probably place your faith in it. Or perhaps that's what they want you to believe considering it is flimsy enough to suffer dents quickly in the 1st episode (Lt. Gilliam: In memoriam), get its arms blasted off indirectly by a shockwave in episode 2, have an unsafe cockpit that 'protects' you from outside explosions in episode 3 (Ouch! Ozma, say 'Ouch!'), and have its leg easily ripped off when thrown (Missu Macuross Flontia). Maybe it was luck the 25 didn't crumble like a well baked hot-pocket when the Vajra blew up in its face on that same day, yeah? Or this may have been the producers' way of depicting a realistic situation for a valkyrie? That seems like a step back when you consider how much more structurally sound the Eagle One & Omega One prototypes are.

Don't get me wrong. Aesthetically & functionally, the Messiah is Numbah One. They just make it break up into pieces too soon. I suggest the name YF-25 be used with its name Messiah in the hopes this flimsy trial product will only get better as the series progresses. Oh wait, there already is a YF-24 which is the base model if you read the NewType scan. So I guess we're stuck with a sucky destructible VF-25

On a separate topic, what would you call the new civilization consisting of humans & Zentrans & Meltrans (Yuck! De-Dekaltchaa-!) now living together? Back then there was the Protoculture. Then there was the gender separation: Zjentolhauean & Meltolhauean (whatta mouthful) which are essentially augmented & macronized clones of Protoculture people and the top-secret Protodeviln, and somewhere along the way there was the sub-Protoculture Earth dwellers. Now that there is a united post-Space War I minority group of Lilliputians & Brobdingnadians traversing the galaxy, should we refer to them as a 'Metaculture'? What would you call this distinct conglomeration of humans & giants?

Edited by Firefighter Destroid

'Messiah' - Not a bad name. It's short & simple. Another word for 'Saviour', even if it does so in ways inverse to the one in a popular religion.

Sounds like Gundam SEED. Freedom, Providence, Justice, Savior, Impulse, Savior, Messiah.......

BTW... What about the nickname contest winner?... Any news about it?... I haven't found anything in the official website, today is 5/12 and the contest ended at 5/10...

VF-25 MESSIAH

Read the last several pages of this thread.

Graham

Yes, I've read the whole thread, but I thougt that the official nickname was to be announced at 5/10 in the official web page, not in a Newtype magazine some time before the official date, but that wasn't the case... So be it... Messiah...

HMMMm......VF-25 MESSIAH

So SMS are soldiers for...Prophet? :lol:

Stonewell Bellcom no long exisits as a separate entity. According to the Macross Compendium, Shinnakasu Heavy Industry and Stonewell Bellcom merged in 2012 to form Shinsei Industry.

I do think the VF-25 looks like a Shinsei design. The VF-171 is almost certainly a General Galaxy design (unless General Galaxy were bought out sometime between 2045 and 2059).

The mystery VF featured in the opening also looks more like a General Galaxy design IMO.

Of course, by 2059, there may be some new players in the VF manufacturing business that we don't know about yet.

Graham

The mystery VF in the opening made its appearance in Episode 7. It has some stylings reminiscent of the SV-51. And that Dr. Hasford-like-dude Mr. Bilrer kind of resembles a Protodeviln miclone. I suppose M-Quarter would be the biggest, baddest Battroid in the history of this world. This show just gets more & more intriguing.