Name the VF-25

Zinjo

Seeing that it's a Valk.... VF-25 Odin.

Cool, i like it, the only other name mentioned here that i liked was Loki.

Please no names used by existing/previous craft. lame!

My pattened original handle "Ryzui" is the obvious choice for the VF-25. :p

After a mythical goddess or god, that'd be sweet.

Gubaba, VF-25 Seraph is real nice. I'd be happy with that.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Some interesting *possible* ones....

VF-25 Gryphon

VF-25 Vampire

VF-25 Harpy

VF-25 Tengu

VF-25 Thunderbird

VF-25 Pegasus

Some funny ones.....

VF-25 Pigsy

VF-25 Freddy

VF-25 Jason

VF-25 Predator

VF-25 Bargain hunter

VF-25 Troublemaker

VF-25 Parole Violator

Copyright revenge.....

VF-25 Archer

VF-25 Marauder

VF-25 Phoenix hawk

VF-25 Rifleman

VF-25 Stinger

VF-25 Warhammer

VF-25 Wasp

VF-25 Jetfire

VF-25 Harmony G

Some interesting *possible* ones....

VF-25 Gryphon

VF-25 Vampire

VF-25 Harpy

VF-25 Tengu

VF-25 Thunderbird

VF-25 Pegasus

Some funny ones.....

VF-25 Pigsy

VF-25 Freddy

VF-25 Jason

VF-25 Predator

VF-25 Bargain hunter

VF-25 Troublemaker

VF-25 Parole Violator

Copyright revenge.....

VF-25 Archer

VF-25 Marauder

VF-25 Phoenix hawk

VF-25 Rifleman

VF-25 Stinger

VF-25 Warhammer

VF-25 Wasp

VF-25 Jetfire

VF-25 Harmony G

VF-25 Harmony G lol.

Well, since 'Valkyries" are of Norse origin how about the VF-RAGNAROCK.

That really says "Vajra. Your days are numbered!"

Or the VF-THUNDERBOLT (since that's what Vajra means in Sanskrit. Nice parallel)

Edited by Alex

All all the names suggested so far, I think Gubaba's suggestion of VF-25 "Seraph" is the most fitting.

My suggestions.

VF-25 Hellbringer.

VF-25 Armageddon.

Graham

Thank you!

I like it too. I would also try the full spelling of it Seraphim or one of the other Christian angelic hierarchy like Cherubim, Ophanim, or Dominion to keep with the theme.

...but Seraphim is plural...

Still, you trump me. I don't know what the Ophanim are.

Gubaba, VF-25 Seraph is real nice. I'd be happy with that.

Yeah Seraph is nice.

I'm thinking of something like

VF-25 Phantom

VF-25 Messiah

Messiah

1.Judaism the promised and expected deliverer of the Jews, who will bring an era of peace and justice.

2. Christianity Jesus, regarded as the realization of the prophecy that the Messiah would come, and hence called the Christ

3. any expected savior or liberator of a people or country

VF-25 Orpheus

Orpheus

Gr. Myth. a poet-musician with magic musical powers who descends to the underworld and tries to lead his wife, Eurydice, back from the dead but fails because he breaks the injunction not to look back at her until they reach the upper world) The magic musical powers suits the Macross theme hehe...

On the female mythical creatures side, perhaps:

VF-25 Minerva

VF-25 Nemesis

VF-25 Tisiphone

VF-25 Alecto

VF-25 Megeara

VF-25 Mebd (pronounced Mab)

To go a little further afield

VF-25 Inanna

or if a masculine name was sought:-

VF-25 Enki

or to stick with that part of the world, how about a diety of fecundity as well as war:-

VF-25 Ishtar

In terms of divine/mythical weapons/wargear:

VF-25 Mjolnir

VF-25 Aegis

To keep with the Norse theme:-

VF-25 Heimdall (to go with the sense of a defender and sentinel)

VF-25 Tyr

VF-25 Sif

Karl

Edited by Awacs

i dunno about angelic hierarchy names, that is too much gundam 00 for me. ishtar would be weird. naming it after a character from a parallel timeline.

VF-25 Breast Fighter (homage to the original design idea)

VF-25 Crusader II (successor to the VF-3000 name)

VF-25 Sabre

VF-25 Cauchemar (French for "nightmare")

VF-25 Brief Fighter :lol:

VF-25 Reaper

VF-25 Kamikaze (as in reference to the divine wind that stopped the Mongols from invading Japan, not flying suicide bombers)

Oh yeah, I liked that suggestion of "VF-25 Pegasus"

Edited by Sumdumgai

Thank you!

...but Seraphim is plural...

Still, you trump me. I don't know what the Ophanim are.

Its bad to use wikipedia for info as anyone can change it (Sony employees were actualy caught and traced by wikipedia and news groups altering info on Microsoft related items for example) but this is just a quick and simple way to let you know what Opanium are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophanim

i dunno about angelic hierarchy names, that is too much gundam 00 for me. ishtar would be weird. naming it after a character from a parallel timeline.

I wasn't really thinking about the "Macross II" connection at all to be honest. I was running through female war deities in my head and got as far as the Babylonian pantheon.

Karl

I like the following suggestions:

- Loki ( :p )

- Griffon

- Scorpion

- Firehawk

- Banshee

- Wolverine

- Panther

- Viper

- Cobra

- Mustang II

- Thunderbolt (like the symetry too, but unfortunately it was used on the VF-11 already)

- Phantom seams better suited to the VF-171, as it has a kinship with the VF-17 Nightmare

- Valkyrie II is far too obvious and probably won't get much traction with the Japanese fans, who tend to gravitate to the new.

As for stealing from HG, if you look at the new REF insignia on the uniforms of the characters it bears a striking shape resemblance to the SMS insignia. Coincidence? Maybe not!

-I like that Vf-25 Serapheem

-Vf-25 Necromancer?

-from Hebrew -Vf-25 Galeem, from the word "gaaallll" = wave.

Isreal's Gal class submarine, first subs built from ground up, not refurb boat or other craft.

GaL subs

or -http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/naval/gal/Gal.html

-anyone have any other foreign names, grman ? japns.? mythical creatures?

-ohh snap!!!!!! VF-25 Chupacabra!!!!!!!! :lol:

Edited by orguss01

VF-25 Odin

VF-25 Freya

VF-25 Brunhild

VF-25 Gungunir

VF-25 Ragnarok

VF-25 Fenrir

VF-25 Cosmos

VF-25 Gleipnir

VF-25 Cyclops

VF-25 Baldur

My favourite

VF-25 BELL DANDY

(hides.....)

Of all my thoughts the least cheesy is:

VF-25 Rex

(yes, lets rip off metal gear)

I thought you were talking about Rex the leader of the biker gang in Macross 7. (She looks better on a Valkyrie showing off her tattoo than a Metal Gear :) )

VF-25 Odin

VF-25 Freya

VF-25 Brunhild

VF-25 Gungunir

VF-25 Ragnarok

VF-25 Fenrir

VF-25 Cosmos

VF-25 Gleipnir

VF-25 Cyclops

VF-25 Baldur

My favourite

VF-25 BELL DANDY

(hides.....)

Might I suggest VF-25 Urd. (hides.....)

Please no one say VF-25 Skuld that would be creepy.

Edited by Sorata

VF-25 Chimera would be one I think matches the personality of this valkyrie.

It's a mixture of two different beasts: the vf-1 with its variable sweep wings, the vf-19 style transformation, taking the power and speed of the latter valks, but allowing it to have the flexible upgrades of the former valks with the super and full armor packs that were used from the first war to increase the performance. It appears to be a hybrid child of those two ideas imo.

So it has the strengths of the two other designs but doesn't appear to have its weaknesses. It improves on the existing design with the ability to use armor in gerwalk which makes it unique too.

I would like the VF-117 to be the "Dhampir". A vampire-human half breed. It would be the nightmare but for mass production making it seem less scary for the CF pilot because its for average guys to use but still looking cool/scary/intimidating like the VF-17 Nightmare.

Chimera:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_%28mythology%29

sound a bit like the Nue, of studio nue. :D

Chimera (mythology)

In Greek mythology, Chimera (Greek Χίμαιρα (Chímaira); Latin Chimaera) is a monstrous creature of Lycia in Asia Minor, which was made of the parts of multiple animals. Chimera was one of the offspring of Typhon and Echidna and a sibling of such monsters as Cerberus and the Lernaean Hydra.

Description

Homer's brief description in the Iliad[1] is the earliest literary reference: "a thing of immortal make, not human, lion-fronted and snake behind, a goat in the middle,[2] and snorting out the breath of the terrible flame of bright fire".[3] Hesiod's Theogony follows the Homeric description: he makes Chimera the issue of Echidna: "She was the mother of Chimaera who breathed raging fire, a creature fearful, great, swift-footed and strong, who had three heads, one of a grim-eyed lion; in his hinderpart, a dragon; and in his middle, a goat, breathing forth a fearful blast of blazing fire. Although some myths tell us that it was the serphant or either the third head which in some descriptions is a dragon would breath a most dreadful blaze of fire. Her did Pegasus and noble Bellerophon slay."[4] The author of Bibliotheke concurs:[5] descriptions agree that it breathed fire. Chimera is generally considered to have been female (see the quotation from Hesiod above) despite the mane adorning its lion's head. Sighting Chimera[citation needed] was an omen of storms, shipwrecks, and natural disasters (particularly volcanoes).

While there are different genealogies, in one version Chimera mated with her brother Orthrus and mothered the Sphinx and the Nemean Lion (others have Orthrus and their mother, Echidna, mating; most attribute all to Typhon and Echidna).

Chimera was finally defeated by Bellerophon, with the help of Pegasus, at the command of King Iobates of Lycia. Since Pegasus could fly, Bellerophon shot Chimera from the air, safe from his heads and breath.[6] A scholiast to Homer adds that he finished him off by equipping his spear with a lump of lead that melted when exposed to Chimera's fiery breath and consequently killed him, an image drawn from metalworking.[7]

Nue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nue

Nue

A nue (鵺) is a legendary creature found in Japanese folklore. It is described as having the head of a monkey, the body of a raccoon dog, the legs of a tiger, and a snake instead of a tail. According to the legend, nue can transform into a black cloud and fly. Due to its appearance, it is sometimes referred to as a Japanese chimera[citation needed]. Nue are supposed to be bringers of misfortune and illness.[citation needed]

According to The Tale of the Heike, Emperor Konoe, the Emperor of Japan, became sick after having terrible nightmares every night, and a dark cloud appeared at two o'clock in the morning on roof of the palace in Kyoto during the summer of 1153. The story says that the samurai Minamoto no Yorimasa staked-out the roof one night and fired an arrow into the cloud, out of which fell a dead nue. Yorimasu then supposedly sank the body in the Sea of Japan.

In a local expansion of the story, the nue's corpse floated into a certain bay, and the locals, fearing a curse, buried it. A mound which exists today is supposed to be this grave.[1]

Dhampir:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhampir

Dhampir

A Dhampir (also dhampire, dhamphir or dhampyr) in Balkan folklore and in vampire fiction is the child of a vampire father and a human mother, with vampire powers but none of the weaknesses.[1] (in fiction, the reverse occurs as well). A dhampir is believed to have the unique ability to see vampires, even when they are invisible, and is unusually adept at killing them.

If not Chimera for VF-25, I would just go with Raiden which someone else suggested. It reminds me of the arcade shoot-em-up with that fighter in it. :D

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I thought you were talking about Rex the leader of the biker gang in Macross 7. (She looks better on a Valkyrie showing off her tattoo than a Metal Gear :) )

Oh yeah, i forgot about her

maybe the lead designer could her ex-boyfriend. :lol:

VF-25 Gleipnir

Maybe you meant "Sleipnir", which is actually my pick.

Sleipnir was the 8-legged horse of Odin. The name means "smooth" or "slippery". Other than this something related to elf (like "Alfr") may be good, due to VF-25's Battroid slim figure and pointy head lasers.

Gundam 00 has some angelic motives in names (the Thrones), so I think it would be better not to choose "Seraph".

FV

I'll admit, most of the official Valkyrie names in Macross have been really uninspired. I think "Nightmare" is about the only name in Macross that hasn't been used that much in other media but naming a black fighter nightmare isn't particularly creative either. Naming conventions are definitely not one of the things I like about the franchise. The naming scheme pretty much just follows real world conventional fighter designations, a naming convention which has itself long since run out of names (See re-use of "Lightning" for the F-35). Plus, nearly every fictional franchise has already used all these names over and over again (Gundam, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Battletech, et cetera). And I mean, there's only so many bird names one can use and all have them have been used and beaten to death.

I kinda like Chimera as someone suggested or Gorgon, but they sound almost too fantasy-like in a way.

Also, perhaps names like Zealot, Eclipse, Reaver might work.

Something that also implies transformation while sounding like sci-fi such as Parallax (a change in angular position)

Maybe even have a little fun, like Xenophobe :) (okay, maybe not, but you have to admit it's kinda appropriate)

I'd welcome a move away from the naming schemes of typical military convention. However, to really work for me they'd likely have to go beyond one word names or at least choose something other than conventional titles, mythology or nostalgic words. Perhaps VF-25 Star Wind or something like that would work.

Edited by Mr March