1/48 Roy Focker Weathering Special

wolfx

Of course that's all true, and I have no problem with capitalism being brutal, but it just seems like an incredibly inefficient way of doing things. This is already an elitist hobby (we're burning money on toys) and to make it that much less accessible just seems dick. To use that model in a way that benefits random Internet savvy folks in Japan instead of the company producing the toys seems less than ideal. Meh, hopefully it all evens out with some patience and everyone who wants it can get it at a "reasonable" price.

Agree. It seems dumb business to simultaneously annoy overseas customers and miss out on potential profits at the same time.

Unless, of course, the extra cost of weathering these things and tampo-printing some of the markings where this had not been done before makes these toys barely profitable for Yamato at the price point people are willing to pay.

Unless, of course, the extra cost of weathering these things and tampo-printing some of the markings where this had not been done before makes these toys barely profitable for Yamato at the price point people are willing to pay.

that doesn't make sense to me. if the toy is barely profitable, increasing the run and widening the market can only help. It's not like the tampo printing or the weathering is being applied by hand... the machinery has been bought and incorporated already. I know this is of some debate, but the overseas market has got to be a sizable fraction of the pie and just ignoring us (or snubing us depending on your level of fanboyism) just doesn't make economic sense.

Edited by eugimon

Regardless of whether it's Yamato or CM's you guy have to remember in order for it to be legally sold to the US it has be be distributed by a foreign entity or a foreign based division of the Japanese company. Perfect example in reverse the really bad aoshima Legioss. With Macross we all know there is even more red tape involved. It's the 25th anniversary so Yamato is spending more money and making a limited exclusive, and due to legal issue it can only be shipped inside Japan. If it was up to them I'm sure they would take our money no questions asked but that is not the case.

Edited by SaveRobotech

Regardless of whether it's Yamato or CM's you guy have to remember in order for it to be legally sold to the US it has be be distributed by a US entity or a US division of the Japanese company. With Macross we all know there is even more red tape involved. It's the 25th anniversary so Yamato is spending more money and making a limited exclusive, and due to legal issue it can only be shipped inside Japan. If it was up to them I'm sure they would talk our money no questions asked but that is not the case.

what legal issue? Can you expand on this? Why is it okay for them to sell other macross products through wholesellers so that they can make their way to overseas markets, but not this one?

That's the question right? Whether this will be an exclusive yamato online store only deal or whether or not it will be available through our normal channels.

that doesn't make sense to me. if the toy is barely profitable, increasing the run and widening the market can only help. It's not like the tampo printing or the weathering is being applied by hand... the machinery has been bought and incorporated already. I know this is of some debate, but the overseas market has got to be a sizable fraction of the pie and just ignoring us (or snubing us depending on your level of fanboyism) just doesn't make economic sense.

This may be a case where economies of scale don't actually work out, however. If they only have limited capacity for weathering and tampo printing and adding any more capacity would necessitate further investment. . . it just may not be worth it to them.

In fact, the fact that they aren't doing it would seem to indicate that it is not worth it to them. I'm going to assume that Yamato knows better what is in its best interest and has a bit more information on its capacity, financial situation, and market position than do various "experts" half a world away writing on an internet forum. ;)

This may be a case where economies of scale don't actually work out, however. If they only have limited capacity for weathering and tampo printing and adding any more capacity would necessitate further investment. . . it just may not be worth it to them.

In fact, the fact that they aren't doing it would seem to indicate that it is not worth it to them. I'm going to assume that Yamato knows what's best for itself and has a bit more information on its capacity, financial situation, and market position than do various "experts" half a world away writing on an internet forum. ;)

I can see that about the weathering, if that is being done by hand or through some labour intensive process, but yamato must have gotten a deal on the tampo printing rigs, because this is apparantly another limited run toy that has extensive tampo printing and those stamps and won't have any further return on investment.

Anyways, save robotech is making this sound like some sort of legal issue so who knows.

Besides, base speculation is just part of the game when it comes to yamato since they seem loathe to reveal any of their plans.

I'm going to assume that Yamato knows better what is in its best interest and has a bit more information on its capacity, financial situation, and market position than do various "experts" half a world away writing on an internet forum. ;)

Unthinkable.

My guess is that perhaps it's going to be a limited run special item, and maybe it makes more sense for yamato to sell it through their own website-- as anyone who'd want the thing would likely find out about it by means other than store shelves-- and it pays for them to pocket the entire markup rather than sell them at wholesale prices to retailers.

I can see that about the weathering, if that is being done by hand or through some labour intensive process, but yamato must have gotten a deal on the tampo printing rigs, because this is apparantly another limited run toy that has extensive tampo printing and those stamps and won't have any further return on investment.

Anyways, save robotech is making this sound like some sort of legal issue so who knows.

Besides, base speculation is just part of the game when it comes to yamato since they seem loathe to reveal any of their plans.

If you've been collecting enough japanese toys, you'll know these web-exclusive stuff are pretty common. The Japanese love the "exclusive"-vity and although a web-exclusive simply means almost all Japanese otakus will get the toy, its still exclusive to Japan and the whole production run is guaranteed to sell out. And besides Yamato gets to sell them at retail price rather than distributor prices.

Its not really about the sales sometimes. Its just to show ppl "Yo hay...we're making exclusives" and there are idiots who will buy them. :lol:

If you've been collecting enough japanese toys, you'll know these web-exclusive stuff are pretty common. The Japanese love the "exclusive"-vity and although a web-exclusive simply means almost all Japanese otakus will get the toy, its still exclusive to Japan and the whole production run is guaranteed to sell out. And besides Yamato gets to sell them at retail price rather than distributor prices.

Its not really about the sales sometimes. Its just to show ppl "Yo hay...we're making exclusives" and there are idiots who will buy them. :lol:

Yup pure marketing bastards with schemes and all. The worst part of all is it works. Makes me wish I was head of a large corporation to suck all of you consumers dry mwhahahahaa.

Just give me my weathered VF-1s Focker and I'll shut up :lol:

Like you, I have no problem with willing participants voluntarily exchanging goods for currency. I also have a hard time getting worked up at a toy company for not making something. . . or not making more of it for people outside their targeted market.

They'll manufacture however many they decide is best for their business needs. And they will be worth whatever they are worth to the people that eventually buy them. And nobody is going to hold a gun to anybody's head and force them to pay more than they are willing to pay of their own free will.

:mellow:

So I am curious; is this what happened with the limited edition low vis? It seems that those for sale on Ebay could set the prececent for the sellinig price of others. This in itself could create a false sense of demand for the fighter; especially for ill-informed collectors like myself who ended up with a Joon when I started collecting in January. I, for one, was drooling all over this thing and am still considering purchasing it if the price does not go into the stratosphere. The members here are providing a wealth of information that will help me make a better decision.

Meh...this one isn't special enough for me to jump through hoops to get. The Low Vis 1 had a more appealing paint scheme than this. I'd be all over this if this was a totally different paint job -- even a Low Vis 1 paint app. If it gets released through the normal channels and doesn't cost what the 25th Anniversary VF-1S is going for, I'd pick it up.

Unthinkable.

My guess is that perhaps it's going to be a limited run special item, and maybe it makes more sense for yamato to sell it through their own website-- as anyone who'd want the thing would likely find out about it by means other than store shelves-- and it pays for them to pocket the entire markup rather than sell them at wholesale prices to retailers.

Good point. If the cost of manufacturing the weathered scheme is much higher for them then selling it at retail only by themselves may be the only way to make it viable.

Good point. If the cost of manufacturing the weathered scheme is much higher for them then selling it at retail only by themselves may be the only way to make it viable.

I've been robbed! :lol:

I just spoke with Yamato about an hour ago and they said it is not just a Wonder Festival exclusive, but will also be sold through their online web-shop.

Here's another photo from MWer: SaveRoobotech.

Graham

when is this gonna be available on their online store?

i'm sure someone is working on it but keep in mind if someone does hook it up, he'll have to pay to have them shipped to him, then theres the standard i'm not doing it for free markup, then shipping for that member to here.

with the weak US dollar, it'll end up costing more than a 1/48 valk w/FPs.

don't see what's so special about this weathered valk, I agree looks very good, but I wonder if it will suffer from the LV1 smudging finger problem

don't see either the need for this 1/48 special, if the line is coming new in 1/60, this is truly a collectable for the hardcore Macross fan

wish a lot of luck for you guys if you can managed to get one overseas without getting assraped with shipping charges