Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Plastic Models

Graham

Mod mode

Next person to talk (question, response, or what not) about the 1/60 DX Chogokin toys, I will delete your post and any responses to it. This thread is for talk about the 1/72 model kits. If you don't know what it is, ask a mod.

So here's my question for the 1/72 model. I certainly hope it will come with more coloured molded parts. From the pictures there it looks like it is all made of cheap white plastic which is very very generic and doesn't show much detail.

For a non-painting model kit builder myself, jsut having too much white like that means it won't look as great even after I use the detailing pen.

Hope it comes with more coloured parts.

Probably not---it'll be about 40% dark grey, 60% white. And a lot of stickers and decals to make the coloring. You can't mold "stripes".

Part of the issue seems to be (so far) that Bandai hasn't learned what Yamato knows---pure white overall looks bad on a valk (unless its skillfully weathered). You usually want very light grey. Both the 1/72 and 1/60 so far appear to use PURE white for Alto---and that just looks bad, even when painted, much less molded.

can't wait for my preorder too! :D from what i can see in the images from the hobby magazines, Master Grade tooling is definitely in place, but i'm kinda disappointed in the Gerwalk mode but not surprised, i kinda saw it coming :p i'm just curious as to why they had to use transparent supports in some of the images of the model in battroid and gerwalk though, could it be back heavy? i'm hoping it's not, but then again, the kit is compatible with Bandai's Action Base, so there.... :rolleyes:

what i think Bandai will also be doing is release soooo many variants based on just one frame, since you just need to change head parts and probably weapons (e.g. sniper rifle for Mikhail's VF instead of standard gunpod), but this has been Bandai's marketing strategy and is to be expected already; i for one am not complaining with the many MG Strike Gundam variants i already have :p c'mon Bandai, give us Armored VF-25S already! :D

Yeah i was hoping for more of a gundam-type colour parts molding. i.e. the HG Strike Noir had the appropriate coloured parts and with a detailing pen Voila! it looked awesome.

That's because Gundams are designed with whole areas of separate color--you rarely see striping or patterns. So many are "white overall, a chunk of blue torso, red waist, red feet, and maybe a few small yellow bits". Lately there seems to be a lot of black though. But again---no stripes/patterns. Just whole pieces of armor. No valkyrie has large "chunks" of color like that excluding feet and tailfins---they have stripes. Even a $100 PG kit of a valkyrie probably wouldn't be able to have color injection to the degree needed to do the paint scheme properly, even of a "simple" scheme like most VF-1's have.

Honestly I think Bandai gets a decently big say in how Gundams are colored nowadays, to ensure that they can be molded as accurately as possible. "Sorry, you guys can't draw the shoulder armor like that---we can't mold that in 3 colors without increasing the kit price by 700 Yen"

I agree with David. I've not seen any "striping" and although not impossible to be done but it will definitely jack the price up a fair bit to do it. I suppose it all depends on how Bandai will design the parts to come together ie: Maybe Part A3 and B5 (from two different colored trees) representing the red/black stripes on the panel over the intakes in fighter mode will somehow snap together nicely and still have enough room for the mechanisms necessary to do the full transformation.

Looking at some previous posts, I can see the "peg" for the shoulder and upper-arm connection to be a very typical bandai design that can be seen in their MG kits.....so I agree that there is a lot of MG tooling going on here as well.

As for the back heavy part, quite frankly I wouldn't be surprised if it is. I know a lot of my MG kits have that exact problem...... Freedom, Destiny, Gelgoog, Strike......... Let's just see what it'll be like....

The one item that I really hope bandai don't mess up is the sliding in and out part of the feet. My MG Zeta has the same function and its an absolute horrible mess trying to keep the feet locked in the correct mode/extension.

What about the VF-27 kit? I thought I read something about it previously on this thread. Was there something in the works? Anyone know any updates?

Edited by nikolo98

I'm sure the 1/72 model will be color-molded just like the Gundams. But like with any model, the best results will be after you put some love and detail into it. A straight build (no painting, or detailing) will not be as good as detailing it.

In a way you really DON'T want such stripes to be separate color molded parts. For one thing that would mean seam lines, making it look more like a 'part' than a painted on marking. For those adverse to all out paint jobs, you could probably get away with decals or painting just those stripes with G-marker. That's what I often do with gunpla: snap together ->paint only the sections that need paint->panel line->done!

Edited by Vifam7

I'm expecting foil stickers----just like a G1 Transformer. (water-slide decals have been confirmed, but I think that's in ADDITION to foil ones)

PS--new rules/style for this thread. Important new pics and info will now be added to the first post, so people can just keep checking the first post to keep up to date, rather than reading through every new post.

I do believe that it is possible to do molded stripes. It just depends on how thick each part is. The seam lines will be the natural kind and not the ones that goes in the middle of a single section. Of course if they went that route it would cost even more.

Edited by badboy00z

Honestly I'd prefer foil--even though I am very good with waterslide decals, for something that's going to be handled, I'd want something less fragile. I mean, most of the red striping is on the shoulder joints, which will be moving and scraping at every transformation.

Box Art looks great!

I'm very happy with water slide decals. But... what is this? Fighter can't stand by itself??

01bsp3.jpg

Edited by cool8or

K, that does look rather nice, but waterslides.......I suck at those so much, usually I like putting on my decals or stickers while I'm assembling a section based on the modeling guide, but I can't do that with waterslides I think.

Ugh.......decisions.....maybe I outta just cop out too the DX.

But... what is this? Fighter can't stand by itself??

01bsp3.jpg

It's a show display and they want it lined up that way and to stay that way. My company has taped and screwed down locomotive displays to keep them from rolling around (or worse, being stolen) plenty of times at trade shows.