Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Plastic Models

Graham

I'll try but not tonight. Got a dinner date + movie. :D

And i think we should heed pro modeller's advice....top coat the thing before we handle/transform the model too much. I learnt this lesson from this model.

Another lesson: And....i brought my cockpit canopy to a friend to help me tint it. I initially painted black on the canopy edges and frame so he thought i didn't do a good job so decided to use paint thinner on it. Now the cockpit's screwed up and looks frosted on one side cuz the thinner ate into the canopy. =.=;; He claims it can be saved with some sanding and polishing but i dunno......worse case scenario i'll try to get some replacements parts from Japan otherwise just leave it in battroid mode where the canopy will be hidden. I hate paint thinner. I never had good luck with them.

Sorry to hear about the canopy...I even cracked a cheap airplane model's clear part when cleaning the mispainted frames once, ditched the whole kit somewhere in the dark corner.

Yeah, I know that we should have clear coated the model no matter what instead of leaving it "naked" with decals exposed (would it work with stickers+clear coat???), but can you properly clear coat this transformable kit with a can of model paint or is an airbrush an absolute must? I've had some hit and miss experiences with tamiya spray-cans!

Large batch of pics, but that server is so slow I am putting a bunch of selected pics here.

http://blog.hobbystock.jp/report/2008/10/hm0027.html

Awesome pics. But that website owner REALLY needs to redo that website. So much clutter that the pics time out.

I can definitely see myself getting the Super Alto, the Michel (which I'll hope includes Super gear), the Luca if it has 3 ghosts (maybe 1 ghost if someone on the boards will be making casts of more. Oh, and I'll even get an Ozma (not a fan of his color scheme) if he has the Armor upgrade. Either way, the Models are the clear winner of the design contest in my opinion. And they aren't way too expensive, overpriced, but not too much so that I won't get them.

Edited by protostar8

Now that's what i call armored battroid. Wished the DX line could even come close. I hope they release the super packs seperately....sigh.

PS: way past your bedtime, g-man. :p

And voila... a 1/72 ghost. You should make more of those cool wishes! :lol:

That SMS base is cool too.

I also wish they would do a PG VF-25... (anything happen yet?)

the base is pritty cool all though it kind of sucks that they're showing them to us NOW, after i've alread ordered a bunch of white action bases for my 25F's. :(

Large batch of pics, but that server is so slow I am putting a bunch of selected pics here.

http://blog.hobbystock.jp/report/2008/10/hm0027.html

WOW, the Red Vajra looks so cool... MUST BUY.

the Super packs look sweet, but I wonder if they'll actually be stand alone or if you have to buy the kit a second time to get the them with super parts, (I also wonder how they'll connect to the valk, the kit doesn't have clear points they plug into like the DX does)

I want the Michel kit bad but would perfer it with armor, and I wasn't planing on buying too of them. if the armor is stand alone I can buy him when it first comes out and get the armor parts later.

if the armor is removable I think it would be sweet if they threw in a fold booster and made it so the armor could be assembled together like in the show.

I have to say I can't see them selling the armor separate. Bandai just doesn't do stuff like that in there model kits. It's also economically smarter to release the armor with a kit, so that people who bought the original have to buy the new one too. I know it's not "right" for them to do that, but it's how the market works. I fully expect an Ozma with "Armor" to come out down the road, so I wouldn't even consider getting the un-"Armored" version. Now, for the toys, I can see them doing it separately, but not model kits.

Aside from that, I still think the Super version looks INCREDIBLE and blows the DX out of the water. Can't wait! Can anyone make out release dates or prices on any cards or background images?

the base is pritty cool all though it kind of sucks that they're showing them to us NOW, after i've alread ordered a bunch of white action bases for my 25F's. :(

They already announced one for Gundam 00 and I am glad Macross F is getting similar attention.

the Super packs look sweet, but I wonder if they'll actually be stand alone or if you have to buy the kit a second time to get the them with super parts, (I also wonder how they'll connect to the valk, the kit doesn't have clear points they plug into like the DX does)

Looks like at least some part swapping to me, e.g. the chest armour piece would need to be paper thin to sit on top of the original. Even the non-transforming Hasegawa 1/72 VF-0S full armour need part swapping.

Edited by CF18

What I am amazed of is that Bandai has gone "" all the way"" to make this happen..Virtually the whole Macross 25 valk line including enemy the main mecha seems to be in production and this quick. Some other companies we had to wait months if not years to see half of this come to life...

From the pictures available, I see that the "bare" Ozuma (it's official, that's the spelling on the box!) is due November, as we already know; the red Vajra team leader is apparently under development because it has a sign saying "sale unconfirmed" and supposedly shown in Dengeki Hobby since Oct 25th (that's my guess from the Kanji).

Alto with armor has that big red banner saying in Kanji "product under development", no dates given.

There are no dates on Michel's and Luca's valks either, at least in the Japanese site linked above.

Transparent Alto shown in that other page is "product under evaluation"...so they could actually release it.

I see Ozma's "S" head comes with pre-tinted green "eyes", unlike the clear piece we got in the Alto "F" kit! Wonder if that lavender-tinted cockpit canopy is "out of the box" or aftermarket...(my guess is the latter)

Edited by regult

WOW.

I'm glad I didn't get the first batch of Alto's. I definitely want the Super Alto.

I also think I'm going to have to save up some money soon, because I definitely have to get the Michel and Luca, too!

Ow, my pockets are burning already. :(

Oh, by the way, someone had better get a set of those Ranka decals! ;)

Edited by CosmicSpore

So those who have the model, I have a questions for the guys who aren't great modelers. I am decent at best and stick with snap fit gundam models. I just order this and will have it next week (yaaaaaaaaay!!!!!); my issue is stickers. I have big hands and they arent the most stable at times. For those who are novice model builders how much of a hassel was it getting the stickers on? Actually experienced people can chime in to. I know the best way is to place them on before putting the kit together but this will be my most sticker heavy anything. Any advice so it doesn't look like crap when i am done?

Annoying that Ozma gets green parts. (Hey, merchandise spellings aren't canon IMHO--look at all the "Galdo" and "New Edwars" stuff out there)

The Ozma canopy is clear, not purple though, you can see it if you know where to look.

OMG!!!! I can't wait for all these! Ozma already on preorder, but i must have a Micheal and Luca and Super Pack!!!! Good day today then, coincides with me getting three quarters of the way done with my Alto.

Anyone else notice that the super pack Alto has a different cod piece? Any idea why this is, it doesn't look like extra armour?

Anyone else notice that the super pack Alto has a different cod piece? Any idea why this is, it doesn't look like extra armour?

That is part of the Super Pack armor. Both the Super Pack and Full Armor have "codpiece armor"--and it's different for each one. The DX seems to completely ignore this fact. It's basically plain grey for all valks with the Super Pack, and it's "the main accent color" for full armor--all yellow for Ozma, all red for Alto.

Here's a good view of Michael's with the Super Pack:

So those who have the model, I have a questions for the guys who aren't great modelers. I am decent at best and stick with snap fit gundam models. I just order this and will have it next week (yaaaaaaaaay!!!!!); my issue is stickers. I have big hands and they arent the most stable at times. For those who are novice model builders how much of a hassel was it getting the stickers on? Actually experienced people can chime in to. I know the best way is to place them on before putting the kit together but this will be my most sticker heavy anything. Any advice so it doesn't look like crap when i am done?

Stickers are a piece of cake: take a small cup with some water and add 2-3 drops of dishwashing liquid & stir. Before you go & apply the sticker, take a small sponge or a brush and wet the area of the plastic with the soapy water, place the sticker down & manoeuver it into place. Once it's where you want it, just apply pressure to get all the water out from under the sticker :)

I have always used the knife method. I put the very tip of my exacto under a corner, lift the sticker off, and carefully slide it on where I want it. Since I have stubby fingers too, the exacto knife works great! But then again, I have excellent control over stuff (I even use the exacto to paint panel lines sometimes b/c of how fine a line it puts down if done right...)

WOW.

I'm glad I didn't get the first batch of Alto's. I definitely want the Super Alto.

I also think I'm going to have to save up some money soon, because I definitely have to get the Michel and Luca, too!

Ow, my pockets are burning already. :(

Oh, by the way, someone had better get a set of those Ranka decals! ;)

And put them on the VB-6!

Wow, xacto for painting thin lines. Never thought of that. Will have to try it--maybe for the red parts on Alto (his suit, not his valk). I always use xacto blades to apply both stickers and decals.

Seriously, it works if you do it right. You just have to make sure you don't have a "blob" of paint on the end. It doesn't hold as much paint as a brush, so you have to re-dip the blade more often, but my panel lines and thin lines are thinner than the model pen I have.

I hope the super packs are removable so I can stick them on Michel's. Or even better, I'll just hope Michel's comes with his own set of Super parts!

Edited by protostar8

Seriously, it works if you do it right. You just have to make sure you don't have a "blob" of paint on the end. It doesn't hold as much paint as a brush, so you have to re-dip the blade more often, but my panel lines and thin lines are thinner than the model pen I have.

I hope the super packs are removable so I can stick them on Michel's. Or even better, I'll just hope Michel's comes with his own set of Super parts!

another way that works is, depending on what your base coat is (e.g. if you used mr. hobby or gaia notes lacquers), mix enamel paint with lighter fluid until it's thin, and use a brush to wash the panel lines - afterwards, just use q-tips/cotton swabs dipped in lighter fluid and wipe off the excess. it's easy to do and fast.

this works only b/c enamel thinner (lighter fluid in this case) does not desolve lacquer paints. if you're not painting the model, this definitely works as well and yields good results. i'd watch out for scratch marks in the plastic though (good idea to go through and sand the whole model to a flat finish to remove signs of flash and gates anyway).