Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Plastic Models

Graham

Actually, I think it was literally THE first Perfect Grade. The very first run came with a gimmicky credit card type thing too.

I loved the gimmicky credit card thing, I got one with my PG GP01/fb.

the Engrish on that thing was so funny. :lol:

Given that the parts are pretty light, magnets might do the trick. Not sure if there is anywher to actually put them though.

Graham

where would you need to put magnets to actually hold the legs up?

Just completed my 25. The stickers are fantastic and very thin! If I didn’t know any better, I’d say they are identical to the water slide decals, only much durable, and don’t have any excess transparent edges around each piece.

The pieces in fighter mode don’t seem to fit and click 100% together properly. I must be doing something wrong. Gerwalk mode looks good. Have to pull the legs a bit apart at the hip in order to get a more dynamic stance. Battroid mode REALLY shines! Looks absolutely perfect.

One word of advice: Before experimenting with the transformation process, complete the model first!! I didn’t know how the side leg covers flipped open properly in order to move the leg fins backwards and accidentally broke a hinge on the leg cover. You have to PULL the piece outward, before you open it.

Overall I’m very pleased with the kit. It’s very well designed and was extremely fun to build.

Seem to forget the PG Eva 1. Maybe because it wasn't very perfect as compared to the Gundams. Lol. Who knows, Bandai hasn't released a PG in a long time. Maybe the next one will be a VF-25 in 1/32 scale.

OOOOoooo, I like that idea alot :lol:

Edited by Busted VF1A

A 1/32 VF-25 would cost more than any PG ever made. Heck, a *non-transforming* VF-25 fighter would probably cost around 200 bucks in 1/32 scale if made to current jet model standards. Then double or triple the parts to make it transform...

The VF-25's cockpit/canopy looks rather small compared to that of the F-15. I'm assuming they're both the same scale.

Then again the F-15's canopy is pretty darn big compared to most other aircraft anyways.

Yep, that F-15 is 1/72 as well, the other mechs in the picture are 1/72 as well, ZOIDS if anyone is interested. And yes, the F-15 is MUCH bigger and bulkier than the VF-25... It's like the VF-25's chubby distant relative or something like that...

A 1/32 VF-25 would cost more than any PG ever made. Heck, a *non-transforming* VF-25 fighter would probably cost around 200 bucks in 1/32 scale if made to current jet model standards. Then double or triple the parts to make it transform...

I wholeheartedly agree, 1/32 is just way too big and would push the price-point over the practical edge of affordability. On the other hand, a 1/48 VF-25 would be feasible as a Perfect Grade; round about the size of the Zeta Gundam... Assuming they ever decided to go that route.

Here's a crappy pic of mine w/ the cockpit and sensors painted with Tamiya clear blue. The canopy is a bit too much but... it doesn't look too bad next to the HCM (which is in the same scale BTW).

I painted the cockpit from the inside, then masked it and painted the black lines on the outside.

post-322-1223868666_thumb.jpg

IMO, if any Valk is deserving of a PG kit, it would be the classic VF-1 not the VF-25.

Anyway, I've been thinking of picking up one of the 1/72s, although I'll admit that it's been years since I last built a model kit. Might be a good way to get back into the hobby.

IMO, if any Valk is deserving of a PG kit, it would be the classic VF-1 not the VF-25.

yack, no way. the last thing we need is another VF-1 whatever. the VF-1 is cool and all, but there's been so many kits and toys and what not done of it already. we need something new, and the VF-25 is just that cool.

(besides, a PG kit would be 1/48 and we already have a 1/48 VF-1, I want a 1/48 VF-25 to go with it.)

Can the legs in fighter mode go up any higher?

Not really no, because there's no locking pegs or anything, there's nothing to really secure the legs in a proper height. I was kind of surprised there's locking pegs for the arms but they're practically worthless.

So is there an affordable way to get these in the states? And is the green one with the radar dish out yet?

HLJ has these for $45, which is a lot for a model, but they look spectacular. Are these made with super fragile plastic or are they pretty rugged for models?

So is there an affordable way to get these in the states? And is the green one with the radar dish out yet?

HLJ has these for $45, which is a lot for a model, but they look spectacular. Are these made with super fragile plastic or are they pretty rugged for models?

I don't know of any stateside dealers who have the kit in stock.

Luca's green RVF-25 is not out yet. Probably won't be out til sometime early next summer (just my guess).

As for details on the kit itself, I think Jarrod's exhaustive review answers everything: http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=27823

Edited by Vifam7

I don't know of any stateside dealers who have the kit in stock.

Luca's green RVF-25 is not out yet. Probably won't be out til sometime early next summer (just my guess).

As for details on the kit itself, I think Jarrod's exhaustive review answers everything: http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=27823

Thanks! Too bad my work blocks all the pics. :(

I'm thinking of getting one and doing a real low-key color scheme, like white black and gray, with UN Spacy decals. I like the VF-25 but not the Alto scheme. Red and black together on a white valk just don't do it for me.

Not really no, because there's no locking pegs or anything, there's nothing to really secure the legs in a proper height. I was kind of surprised there's locking pegs for the arms but they're practically worthless.

It doesn't have to stay. I was just wondering if it can go up any higher by pushing on it. Animation and line art shows it to be way higher than what the model shows.

All this talk about a PG VF-25 when most of us don't even have this one yet. :lol:

But I seriously don't see Bandai doing a PG Macross model.

This kit as close to MG as non-grade kits get, and Bandai only seems to do MG kits as PG kits when there is something to add to it.

Maybe, just maybe, they'll do a PG VF-25 with strike and armor parts... but I really doubt it.

And even if they did that, it would be like $200+ and I wouldn't be able to afford it at all...... <_< Not that that matters to you guys though.

I just really can't see them doing a PG kit with this model. I think they went all out with this one, and didn't leave much left to do.

On another topic... Was this kit ever said to ever get armor and strike parts? Or was that just a rumor because everyone wants it?

Because I can't see myself buying a second kit if they re-release this one with the armor... and I want that armor.

Time to lay it out on the table... keep in mind, this is the first time I have ever put this much effort into a model, usually I just cut them off the sprue, slash the nubs with my pocket knife, and apply decals and consider it done.

First 2 pics are my attempt at painting Alto... took about as much time as the the rest of it all put together, even with detailing. This marks the first time in my life I have ever sharpened a toothpick to create a paintbrush. I even tried to add a little detail to his monitor, though the Green Metal Flake didn't come out as well as I'd hoped. Maybe I'll put some white in there, let it dry, and then green over it to try and get that monitor just right.

post-5048-1223938400_thumb.jpg

post-5048-1223938406_thumb.jpg

Third pic is the amount of detailing I've been able to work in there. I find a good thin wash with straight Testors flat black, then sanding down the surface gives me both a good line and a good surface for when I clear coat it. Using thinner to swab it off tends to leave some smudges and I think it might even yellow the plastic...

post-5048-1223938515_thumb.jpg

When the fighter is at rest on it's landing gear, the legs are pushed us a little higher, compared to when it is in a flying pose on the Bandai display stand.

I've also noticed that when it is displayed resting on the landing gear, the wing root gun gaps tend to close up, although still not completely. When the Fighter is displayed flying (gear up), he wing root gun gaps are much bigger.

And I'd definitely prefer a PG VF-25 to a PG VF-1. Although the VF-1 is a classic design and the most famous VF, I'm so tired of it. In the last 6 years we have had far too many versions of the VF-1 released.

The VF-25 is a fresh, exciting and cool looking design IMO. If it came out as a PG I'd definitely buy it and hang the cost. On the other hand If Bandai released a PG VF-1, I'd just say 'meh' and move on. Got the 1/48 and 1/60 ver.2 VF-1 and they are good enough for me.

Graham

Here's my inner nozzles--hard to photograph the lighting effects, this was the best I could do. Depending on the light angle, they either look metallic grey, iridescent, or polished:

David, if you can, either diffuse your flash (old Fuji film canisters are great for this), or bounce it off of a piece of white card. It'll help even out the lighting.

They do look pretty good. I'm just going to zap mine with either Tamiya's Metallic Grey or Gunmetal... Perhaps both.

yack, no way. the last thing we need is another VF-1 whatever. the VF-1 is cool and all, but there's been so many kits and toys and what not done of it already. we need something new, and the VF-25 is just that cool.

(besides, a PG kit would be 1/48 and we already have a 1/48 VF-1, I want a 1/48 VF-25 to go with it.)

But I'd want to see them attempt to do the transformation as close as they can to the original lineart as possible (no swing bars, etc.).

But a PG VF-25 wouldn't be a bad idea (although I'd also want a PG VF-19 Custom with working speakers) but first things first, I need me one of these 1/72's and hopefully they release the FAST Packs soon.

EDIT: * This is pure speculation. These are NOT actual release dates! *

Just having some fun speculating on the upcoming releases. I guess it is safe to say there will be more kits after the success of the first one. ^_^

Sep - VF-25F (Alto)

Nov - VF-25S (Ozma)

Jan - VF-25G Super - (Michael) *is the super version wishful thinking?*

Mar - RVF-25 Super - (Luca)

May - VF-171 + Super Pack for VF-25 (Ozma/Alto stickers)

Aug - RVF-171 EX - (Luca)

Oct - VF-25S Full Armor - (Ozma)

Dec - VF-27 - (Brera)

VF-171 EX Super - (Alto)

VF-27 Green Variant

Still missing from the list:

Vajra - Will probably be released as figures

Queadluun-Rea

AIF-7S Ghost Fighter - Perhaps a three-pack expansion pack to go with Luca?

Koenig Monster (Start saving money if they do release it!)

Quarter - Not as 1/72... ^_^

Anyone else?

Edited by SDF-ONE