Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Plastic Models

Graham

Does anyone know where these Bandai kits are made? Japan? China? I hope they are made in Japan since most model kits from there are really accurate and detailed.

So, will the models have attachable armor at some point or is that for the toys only? Also, is the transformation going to be some parts swapping or will they be "perfect" more or less?

Well it is called "perfect transformation" for a reason I bet. As for the armor parts, we haven't seen any for the models yet but I bet there will be some eventually.

Most likely it'll be in China. They already have factories there and it's cheap for mass production.

All of Bandai's products are made in China ... with the exception of their model kits, which are made in their proprietary specialized factory in Tokyo.

Edited by QuinJester

I can't believe I didn't see this before now! :blink: I was just looking at Save's pics from Shizuoka and I realized that there are two VF-25's shown in the pics. The one that's painted is Alto's and the unpainted one is I believe Ozma's. Check it out.

(O.K. did like everyone else notice this except me? that would make me kinda feel stupid)

post-2604-1213307396_thumb.jpg

post-2604-1213307405_thumb.jpg

I don't know about everyone Chas, but I was aware of that... but don't feel too bad, there must have been someone else. I've seen as a majority people are very unobservant so it wouldn't be solely your fault.

I am confused. If you look at the scan from Hobby Japan, there are IMO two different kits shown. In the lower left, there's the transformable mess in all it's dislocated & misproportioned glory (it's not the toy), while the rest of the page shows a very elegant fighter and Battroid with no visible hinges or seperation lines, and LOD is insane (look at the closeup of the foot). What is going on here? Is there still hope for us old school aircraft modelers?

-i-

post-1187-1213354787_thumb.jpg

I am confused. If you look at the scan from Hobby Japan, there are IMO two different kits shown. In the lower left, there's the transformable mess in all it's dislocated & misproportioned glory (it's not the toy), while the rest of the page shows a very elegant fighter and Battroid with no visible hinges or seperation lines, and LOD is insane (look at the closeup of the foot). What is going on here? Is there still hope for us old school aircraft modelers?

-i-

The better looking one is the rapid prototype we've all seen and the green one is probably close to the final thing. I just hope they fix the torso area on the battroid. I wish someone can translate that article.

-i-

The one without hinges, is just where they initially ran the anime CG files through a rapid prototype machine to get some idea of what an actual physical representation of the VF-25 would look like and to help them work out how to make it transformable. AFAIK, it's not meant to be a release product.

Graham

I guess we can call that Devolution.

I'll say, look at all those seams. This is going to take ages just to fill them in and rescribe a bit neater. Ugh... very disappointing, Bandai. First time I've been disappointed by production rather than prototype. Usually it's the other way around!

I guess we can call that Devolution.

I meant de-evolution.

But I'm not so concerned about the seams but the proportional issues that the near-production kit shows in direct comparison to the "printed" kits. I'd take those prototypes in an instant, who needs transformation?

Garage kits to the rescue, please.

wow...if the greeny is near production...that's sad...it looks like sh*t

making it transformable was always a bad idea imo. at least the toy/non-modelers crowds can rejoice that they can get a crappy 'representation' of the happy snap-together valk if they don't want to shell the bucks for the DX toy.

say what you will, but I'm not giving up or judging bandai's efforts until I have a kit in my hands, and in the process of building it. That's the true test as to it's quality, IMO.

Ugh, excillion, we've gone over this. Its fairly clear to the hardcore modelers here that this will not be a release that satisfies them. How can you tell? first off experience with Bandai's products + the photos in this thread = Confirmation the problems we've had with prior releases will be apparent.

Serious modelers don't want transforming mecha. For me, to make it a fighter only model probably will double the time it takes to construct the model, if not more. And Its still probably going to look out of proportion, since its clear Bandai has made the battroid mode the main priority for styling. This is precisely why I (and most others) prefer hasegawa approach to modeling. They are easier to make, and look far far better on display.

Also note who are the people who are most gung-ho about it: its not the seasoned modelers, with one or two exceptions. As much as JYLC's point is crassly put, I feel its the truth about this whole situation.

Eh I don't really care, I'm going to save up for the DX anyway, the models just might be a cheaper way for me to get a different VF-25. I'm not looking to this for the sake of a model really. However that is not the point for which Excillon is going.

I don't like to judge anything by past experience because people and even companies change. For all we know this could turn out really well and it may be one of the first times for Bandai to do that. Than again you may turn out right. That is why we don't want to judge now, we judge later when we know for sure. Still prototype pics for even this anyway. Same goes for the DX, the first prototype pics everyone was screaming how terrible it was going to be, some people like me and others defended it saying we don't know it will turn out like this prototype and no one listened. Then some new images came out showing more recent prototype pictures that were much better with the biggest problems fixed, we all said told ya so and the complainers stopped whining as much.

Like I said none of this means I think this model will turn out perfect, it would very well be a piece of crap, but I don't like saying that now before it's done and released, lets wait and find out.

That stuff's all still resin. Doesn't mean a thing 'till it comes outta steel, and still doesn't mean much 'till there's a built sample.

What don't you like? I've not yet seen the series so these pics are all I'm going on.

PS. Nice avatar :) Haven't seen that yet either!

As others said before, the fighter looks out of proportion, and worst: Looks like a toy. Parts don't fit well, etc.

Actually, if BanDai don't make non-transformating models, I'll not purchase nothing. :angry:

As others said before, the fighter looks out of proportion, and worst: Looks like a toy. Parts don't fit well, etc.

Actually, if BanDai don't make non-transformating models, I'll not purchase nothing. :angry:

That looks like a resin model. Resin models aren't exactly known for being great indicators of the final product. This is Bandai we're talking about here, they know how to make great model kits. I'd really be shocked if the model ended up being as floppy looking as the resin one they are showing.

To me, I don't think it looks all that bad and it will probably cost 1/3-1/2 of what the toy will cost, so I think it'll be a good end product for what I expect the price to be.

So has it been confirmed that there are going to be some non-transforming models too (not that I'm interested in them, just curious)?

Don't panic - yet. Those are ALL prototypes, some parts roughly made. It looks like they wanted to get people's appetites for the product ready. - MT

Don't panic - yet. Those are ALL prototypes, some parts roughly made. It looks like they wanted to get people's appetites for the product ready. - MT

I notice that a lot of people here (or maybe just a lot of people who post) just don't seem to understand that. Its really bizarre...