Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Plastic Models

Graham

If Bandai wanted to, they could do a great job. Just take a look at the detailing on thier Hardgraph kits.

And they don't cost as much as EX model kits.

Even if the Bandai kits will be ugly unassembled(hyper poseable, multi colored) Action Figures, some one will come up with a conversion kit or after market parts for it.

And they don't cost as much as EX model kits.

Even if the Bandai kits will be ugly unassembled(hyper poseable, multi colored) Action Figures, some one will come up with a conversion kit or after market parts for it.

Can't argue with that, you're probably right.... However without Club M, it's hard to say who.

Edited by Zinjo

Bandai is the microsoft of the anime model world. They arent the best but sometimes they are the only ones out there.

That's the point, as long as they got the copyright, they are the boss! We can do nothing but wait.

P.S. if Bandai would use their latest HGUC and EX kits tech on the MFs, such as no injection pin mark, seamless fitting, multi-colored parts... That would be huge help for us to build more and more VF-25s, even super modelers like WM Cheng would love that I think!

Edited by newca

• 5 weeks later...
That's the point, as long as they got the copyright, they are the boss! We can do nothing but wait.

P.S. if Bandai would use their latest HGUC and EX kits tech on the MFs, such as no injection pin mark, seamless fitting, multi-colored parts... That would be huge help for us to build more and more VF-25s, even super modelers like WM Cheng would love that I think!

Thanks for the vote of confidence! it nice to be remembered.... ahhh, its been so long since I built (my daughter takes up all my free time). Bandai definitely can make some quality models, but I'm not a huge fan of their multi-coloured parts - you've got to primer them grey and re-paint to the right colour anyways. If you paint directly on top of the coloured part, then whatever you've filled the seams with will show up as a different shade of that colour. Plus the coloured parts are never the right shade anyways. However, I don't think Bandai will give these small 1/72 scale models the Perfect Grade treatment - it might just be a EX treatment (I can hope!) but if they do well (sell well) they might consider doing a 1/48 in a Perfect Grade which would be more consistent with their sizing. I just hope I don't have to wait years or they don't rush out a version 1.0 of a kit that we all gobble up just to re-release a version 1.5 a few months later with the flaws corrected and better decals like they did with the Yukikaze EX models (which I got burned with!). Personally I love the revits on the Hasegawa kits! The more detail the better! Bring it ON!

• 2 weeks later...

I know Bandai can do it, the question is will they? And what kind of goodies can we expect with the kit (armament - fast packs [if there are any])? They have some of the best prototyping and molding gear in the world. Will they take the time and skill? Questions, questions. - MT

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw Macross Frontier #5. At the end of the episode a new fighter appears from the 'Galaxy' group. It looks like a VF-4 evolution... very very cool. I would love to own a styrene, or even resin kit of that one. Hopefully Bandai are kicking that idea around.

• 2 weeks later...

MWer, Californium just posted this link in the toy forum, but I think it should be here instead.

http://happy.ap.teacup.com/runchickens/897.html

Shows the upcoming Bandai 1/72 scale VF-25F Alto model kit and surprise a red Vajra!

The VF-25F shown is obviously the model kit as Bandai previously announced that 1/72 scale would be the scale for the Frontier models. Note teh price of the model kit, 4,200 Yen.

However, I reckon the Vajra is part of the 1/100 toy line, not a model kit, as it is far to small compared with the VF-25 to be 1/72 scale.

Graham

post-11-1210818976_thumb.jpg

However, I reckon the Vajra is part of the 1/100 toy line, not a model kit, as it is far to small compared with the VF-25 to be 1/72 scale.
On closer look, the placard looks like it states "1/72". Why so small then?

Hmm... it does have the lines and shape of a Gundam kit ;-( No fine aircraft like access panels or rivets ala Hasegawa. Not too overly impressed so far, but I was never that much in love with the Battroid designs anyways, I love the aircraft look.

No fine aircraft like access panels or rivets ala Hasegawa. Not too overly impressed so far

Rivets? In 2059, we don't need no steenkin' rivets! :p

Anyway, how can you tell from those somewhat blurry photos?

Graham

No the size looks alright if they are both the same scale. The Red Vajra is not much larger than VF-25.

macrossf2pd0.th.jpg

macrossf4am1.th.jpg

macrossf5bt8.th.jpg

I guess that they are just drawn larger sometimes for dramatic effect.

Or perhaps as they are 'living' weapons, you get different sizes of red Vajra, i.e. in different stages of growth.

Graham

Si i take it the 25 will be variable? sorry no sale here. Id rather have a model KIT with better detailing than an unassembled TOY with sub par detailing. Even the hase battroids had some rivet detailing. Not as much as the fighter kits but enough to give a more realistic feel to the subject. For that price id expect alot more from bandai. But as usual not the case.

Edited by HWR MKII

Si i take it the 25 will be variable?

Nobody knows for sure yet. The sign behind the VF-25 shows three different modes, but whether that means it is variable or 3 kits in 1 box, we don't know yet.

Graham

Interesting. First pics of the Fighter and Gerwalk modes.

I definitely think these are not transformable.

My bet is on three kits in one box. One kit per mode.

The fighter looks fatter around the nose/canopy area than I thought it would.

Graham

Interesting. First pics of the Fighter and Gerwalk modes.

I definitely think these are not transformable.

My bet is on three kits in one box. One kit per mode.

The fighter looks fatter around the nose/canopy area than I thought it would.

Graham

Look at the Vajra's. the backgound says perfect transformable and also will be released at Fall

Interesting. I can see the Vajra being transformable as it just transforms from standing mode to err........bug mode and I guess flying bug mode as well.

But I'm still wondering about the VF-25 shown, whether it is transformable or not.

Graham

Interesting. I can see the Vajra being transformable as it just transforms from standing mode to err........bug mode and I guess flying bug mode as well.

But I'm still wondering about the VF-25 shown, whether it is transformable or not.

Graham

Well, what I mean is that the 25 is perfect transformable ^_^