Yamato 1/60 Scale Destroid Tomahawk

eyesonme78

1/60 Tomahawk! Get it or leave it?  

263 members have voted

1. 1. Get it?

• Yes i will get it!
    • Nah.. i think i just skip it.
    • I will wait for review... before i decide..

At 1/60 scale, it'll be what, 7 inches tall at the top of the head? That's not "100 dollars big".

I agree, the price tag is rather steeper than one would expect offhand. Still, my suspicion is that they're justifying it based on a lower general production run, and a higher number of individual parts in differing materials. Yamato's scale detail is always rather high, which translates into a larger number of smaller components involved in the working parts (opening missile box hatches, joint elements, simulated search lamps, etc.). That's a lot of cavities & separations in the steel. That's a lot of tooling expense. It looks like there'll be a lot of painting involved as well. You're looking at a product similar in scale to their Q-Rau, but much more complex.

Off-hand I liken the design to the styling & engineering in Hasbro's current larger SIGMA-6 line mecha toys, like the "Dragonfly". Still a pricey MSRP on that part of the line (except that they're easily found @ discount stores due to low demand), but lower in comparison to Yamato's because Hasbro is a larger company with larger quantities to dilute the R&D costs across the toy's sales. Yamato can't manage those quantities, so you have to expect their MSRP to be at least 50% higher than what you'd expect from a comparable mass-market product.

If the Tomahawk included a ground crew and 1/4 of a hangar bay diorama (with the remaining 3 parts included with the other 3 Destroids) that would wholly justify (in my mind) the $93 pricetag.

I believe the translation of the page does indicate that it comes with 3 extra figures:

"Accessory = pilot figure/service soldier figure/induction soldier figure/marking sticker/instruction manual" [Altavista, via Firefox]

...So you get a pilot, an infantryman & a technician if I read it correctly - along with a decal sheet & instruction booklet.

Guest sh002

this hobby is getting more and more expensive that i might have to stop at some point or just focus on individual figures. yeah and around $100 does seem like a lot. maybe $50 would have been a little more reasonable.

WOW! :lol::lol::lol: I just saw it on Yamato's website. That Tomahawk looks extremely awesome. So it states that it will be available September for 10,290 Yen. It seems pricey but the mecha looks really detailed and I like the flat color finish. I also notice that there are no decals on the figure in the photos. I hope it will come with some extra decals or stickers for this thing.

I could already see myself placing an order through HobbyLinkJapan for this.

Please Yamato, offer it in a special weathered edition. And make the Defender, Phalanx and Spartan as well. ^_^

And get started on Macross Frontier stuff.

Wait, let me get this straight. This thing is the exact same price as the non-fastpack version of the new 1/60 VF-1? Someone care to explain that one to me? Seriously, I want to get one, but am having a real hard time justifying the price. It's smaller, less complex and does not transform. Yet it costs the exact same? This thing better come with some killer accessories, like a whole ground crew set (not just one or two extra figs), otherwise this may be a pass for me.

This thing is the exact same price as the non-fastpack version of the new 1/60 VF-1? Someone care to explain that one to me? Seriously, I want to get one, but am having a real hard time justifying the price.

See post #319, to which I'll add that most of the R&D expenses of the 1/60 VF-1 line have probably already been compensated for with the last few years of sales, even though newer ones probably use newer tooling.

There's no metal indicated in Yamato's homepage entry on it. Much like the Q-Rau. I believe the Koneig Monster has not metal as well, correct?

There shouldn't be any metal... it's completely un-necessary. And you're right, the Koenig didn't have any metal either, but that could have used some metal on the transformation bits to add durability. The Tomahawk doesn't transform or anything... all it needs to do is have a nice even flat military vehicle finish and be really detailed and posable.

There's no metal indicated in Yamato's homepage entry on it. Much like the Q-Rau. I believe the Koneig Monster has not metal as well, correct?

nope, the konig has a little bit of metal on the rear facing 'toes'.

The destroid is smaller the 1/60 VF-1, is not as complicated as it doesn't transform. Therefore no metal = not worth $100 to me.

I do concur.....If it were half the cost then most likely I would get a couple.

:ph34r:

I'll be getting one of these beauties for sure, but would have gotten some more if the price weren't that high. :(

Other than that, AWESOME! =O That thing is a masterpiece in every detail. Ground crew!! YAY! The most perfect and accurate rendition of the Tomahawk ever produced (to my knowledge).

I understand the current feeling about the price but when the current alternative is Captain's 1/72 scale resin models, which is obviously smaller, unbuilt, unarticulated, unpainted cost even more and not to mention sold out, then these seem like a bargain. As someone has stated before, if you don't care for the bells and whistles, buy the old matchbox ones, which are approx. 1/60 in scale already.

Not to knock Captain's models. People have to understand that those are handcrafted and manually molded and recasted and are a really high end collectible product that go up in price when resold. I know, I have a few and sold a couple.

I understand the current feeling about the price but when the current alternative is Captain's 1/72 scale resin models, which is obviously smaller, unbuilt, unarticulated, unpainted cost even more and not to mention sold out, then these seem like a bargain.

In many cases like Yamato's Tomahawk, I sort of look at it as a hobby item, and the extra cost is what you pay for not having to build the thing yourself (which is rather important when you've got no time for it whatsoever).

I felt the same about Toynami's Legioss/Alpha MPCs. "Modelled after Imai's design? That's OK if they're going to build it for me, too."

Not to diss' the Capt's amazing, amazing models. Someone should hire him to do styrene & PVC.

Edited by AcroRay

I understand the current feeling about the price but when the current alternative is Captain's 1/72 scale resin models, which is obviously smaller, unbuilt, unarticulated, unpainted cost even more and not to mention sold out, then these seem like a bargain. As someone has stated before, if you don't care for the bells and whistles, buy the old matchbox ones, which are approx. 1/60 in scale already.

Not to knock Captain's models. People have to understand that those are handcrafted and manually molded and recasted and are a really high end collectible product that go up in price when resold. I know, I have a few and sold a couple.

When you put it like that, it puts things back in perspective, yeah i'll get one.

I'm still going to have to see what extras come with it before I will decide if it's worth $100.

I'm comparing this offering to Yamato's own Giant Robo figure they released a few years back. Heavy, Diecast, articulated, detailed and came with quite a few accessories. Retailed for about $60 and should be roughly the size of the Tomahawk.

Not a maybe, because it does.

This is a total win in my book. The last pic in Yamato's product page is very reminicent of Arii's old art covers. Beautiful. ^_^

Such as was for the cockpit.. :)

I'm ready to break the piggy bank... :p

Edited by Bio

3 additional extra figures do not equal $100.

i know i've been saying this is a no brainer for yamato but for that price, it'll do about as good as their q-raus.

using the price of a fan made garage kit doesn't justify the pricing of a manufactured toy.

• 2 weeks later...