AnimEigo version vs ADV

Smifnwesson

I'm looking to buy a japanese version of macross and i was wondering if the AnimEigo version is still available for purchase or is the ADV the best version that I am going to get. If anyone has any input i would greatly appreciate it

I think the Animeigo one is still available for 40$ over at RT.com.

I'm looking to buy a japanese version of macross and i was wondering if the AnimEigo version is still available for purchase or is the ADV the best version that I am going to get. If anyone has any input i would greatly appreciate it

I have the ADV version. The voices are a little corky sounding, especially Hikaru, but if you're like me and a slow reader this version should suit you fine. Some of the sounds for the 5.1 are weird too. Not the nostalgic sounds from the original, although the sound stage is much larger in 5.1 surround sound. If you prefer, you can watch in it with its original Japanese dialouge and English subtitles. I do no know how accurate they are, but I imagine it can't be too far off. Anywho, there's my two cents.

animeigo 'cause it is the closest thing to findin' an import dvd set of macross (my dvd player is region free, yesasia.com and their import dvds ftw). i was gonna buy some other macross dvd's but i was told that they were bootlegs (i don't buy bootlegs, i was lookin' for the japanese release of macross). adv (and others like manga, viz, insert american anime licensee) don't count as imports obviously.

Yeah, this issues been discussed numerous times. Basically, if you're going to watch it subbed, go Animeigo and save a load of cash for a superior product. If you prefer dubs or have to have the extras, than expect to pay more for the ADV and enjoy your shoddy dubbing and noisy sub track for a higher price.

than expect to pay more for the ADV and enjoy your shoddy dubbing and noisy sub track for a higher price.

What? The dubbing was perfect in ADV and was even voiced by original cast members. If you speak english get the ADV set. If you like to read books get the animego version. And the cash factor? I found the entire ADV set for under 50$.

What? The dubbing was perfect in ADV and was even voiced by original cast members. If you speak english get the ADV set. If you like to read books get the animego version. And the cash factor? I found the entire ADV set for under 50$.

Ummm.... Mari Ijima's the only original cast member. You make it sound like they got the entire original team together for an english reunion.

And no one's really faulting her performance. It's everyone ELSE that they have issues with.

Partailly since her pronouncing Macross right makes everyone else's varying mispronunciations all the more jarring.

Check this post please...

Thanks ;)

Reading through the older post, it mentions that the Animeigo version is progressive scan, were as the ADV is interlaced. I have the original Animeigo Box Set (black box) - is this version progressive scan? Or only the newer repackaged versions like the one being sold on rt.com?

Here are pics of the original box Set I have:

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/video/animeigo-box-3.jpg

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/video/animeigo-box-4.jpg

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/video/animeigo-box-2.jpg

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/video/animeigo-box-1.jpg

It does not say anywhere on the box if it is or is not. I would be very dissapointed if it was not progressive. How can I tell?

Thanks for the info,

-Star

Reading through the older post, it mentions that the Animeigo version is progressive scan, were as the ADV is interlaced. I have the original Animeigo Box Set (black box) - is this version progressive scan? Or only the newer repackaged versions like the one being sold on rt.com?

It's all the same content.

As long as it's the Animeigo disks it's progscan.

I should run through mine again, now that I have a way to watch DVDs in progressive.

Hi. I see you've come across what's called an "opinion". They're awfully common on the internet, so you better get used to them. Of particular interest here is that you've come across what's called a, "differing opinion". These are even more common, and I'm told that they're a lot like apefaces - everyone's got 'em, and no one thinks theirs stinks. Get use to them. ^_^

I see yours is that the dub was great and one should only watch things in one's own language, and that there's something wrong with watching subtitles. Mine is that a dub that replaces sound effects, has so-so casting, remixes mono to 5.1 for the bloody hell of it, and can't even keep pronunciation straight is shoddy, things should be watched in it's original language, but that's not for everyone, dubbing is good for some, and there's nothing wrong with watching anything anyway you damn well please. No skin off my back either way. Mari was the single highlight, and she's already in the original. So I see that we disagree. Let's agree to that and call it a day. To each, their own. You love the dub, more power to you. However, do not say I have to watch it just because English is my mother language. That's just as plain ignorant as me saying you have to watch it subbed because it was meant to be in Japanese (even if, well, it is).

Oh, and not to mention it still doesn't change the fact that the ADV disc has inferior Japanese audio, but you obviously don't care since subs are for us reading losers, right. ^_^

On to real matters, it's interesting to hear about the progressive angle. Progressive discs are sadly rare. THe only downside was the single layer. Anyone know if ADV used dual layer discs?

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

You sir fail at life.

It's all the same content.

As long as it's the Animeigo disks it's progscan.

I should run through mine again, now that I have a way to watch DVDs in progressive.

That's y I am asking. I now that have an amazing Plazma TV - I would hate to think it was interlaced.

On a side note - how does anyone know for a fact that it is progressive scan? I can find info about it anywhere on the box or net

Just curious,

-Star

mmm.... Mari Ijima's the only original cast member. You make it sound like they got the entire original team together for an english reunion.

Than I suggest you brush up on your reading comprehension.

Hi. I see you've come across what's called an "opinion". They're awfully common on the internet, so you better get used to them. Of particular interest here is that you've come across what's called a, "differing opinion". These are even more common, and I'm told that they're a lot like apefaces - everyone's got 'em, and no one thinks theirs stinks. Get use to them.

I see yours is that the dub was great and one should only watch things in one's own language, and that there's something wrong with watching subtitles. Mine is that a dub that replaces sound effects, has so-so casting, remixes mono to 5.1 for the bloody hell of it, and can't even keep pronunciation straight is shoddy, things should be watched in it's original language, but that's not for everyone, dubbing is good for some, and there's nothing wrong with watching anything anyway you damn well please. No skin off my back either way. Mari was the single highlight, and she's already in the original. So I see that we disagree. Let's agree to that and call it a day. To each, their own. You love the dub, more power to you. However, do not say I have to watch it just because English is my mother language. That's just as plain ignorant as me saying you have to watch it subbed because it was meant to be in Japanese (even if, well, it is).

Jesus, did someone kill your kitten? If you like subs that's fine. When did I say they were for losers? Tv is for watching not reading. Sorry that's just fact. By putting words in mouths you're obviously attempting to start a flame war. According to you a flame is an opinion so if that's the case, than here's my opinion. You wish you were Japanese.

You sir fail at life.

Says the kid that's never been right on these forums...

Jesus, did someone kill your kitten? If you like subs that's fine. When did I say they were for losers? Tv is for watching not reading. Sorry that's just fact.

No, that's not a fact. That's your opinion, so please don't try to misrepresent it as anything else. If anyone is starting trouble here, it's you. If English-speaking people want to watch it in Japanese with subtitles, there's nothing wrong with that. Just because someone wants to watch a work in its original language doesn't mean they wish they were Japanese.

Edited by ChrisG

No, that's not a fact. That's your opinion, so please don't try to misrepresent it as anything else. If anyone is starting trouble here, it's you. If English-speaking people want to watch it in Japanese with subtitles, there's nothing wrong with that. Just because someone wants to watch a work in its original language doesn't mean they wish they were Japanese.

You people seriously need to learn to read.

some um yeah i don't wish i was japanese but love watching subs. Honestly i prefer animeigo because it does have all the original sounds and voices which bring back a simplier era lol. And if tv were for watching the CNN, Fox, and most stations wouldn't have tickers running at the bottom of them, better yet there would never be any text of any kind on it at all. Just my two cents. Now i will sit here and wait for you to attack me which is okay but its whatever. It isn't like TV is MY JOB!!! or anything. (Military Broadcaster for those who don't know)

You people seriously need to learn to read.

There's nothing wrong with my reading comprehension, but thanks for asking. What YOU need to learn how to do is properly answer when someone criticizes your points, not dodge the question and toss out lame 5th grade insults.

Also if you know anything about the history of TV or visual media then you would know that there has always been text or words that needed to be read. Seeing as how when moving pictures came about they didn't have audio with them. The story was told with title cards between the action of the flim. So basically people have been reading while watching films and TV ever since it was invented. So how about you actually know what you are talking about before you make an ignorant comment like that.

Edited by kanedaestes

There's nothing wrong with my reading comprehension, but thanks for asking. What YOU need to learn how to do is properly answer when someone criticizes your points, not dodge the question and toss out lame 5th grade insults.

What lame 5th grade insults? You don't know how to put text in it's proper context. That makes you the 5th grader.

So how about you actually know what you are talking about before you make an ignorant comment like that.

It's 2008. And television was never introduced with no sound. Television and film aren't the same thing. Talk about ignorant...

You people just like to go off on the subs vs dubs garbage. The dub tells the same exact story and you can watch it when you're drunk and as per your ingenius insights, listen to it while you are doing other things. You seem to think watching subs makes you some sort of leet0 anime fan but it doesn't so give up on that elitest "you are only a fan if you wish you were japanese" bullshit. Now go back and re-read what I said slowly and carefully and remember to sound out the long words.

The dub tells the same exact story and you can watch it when you're drunk and as per your ingenius insights, listen to it while you are doing other things.

Except in cases where the dub script takes creative liberties with characters. For example, the character of Mugen from Samurai Champloo threatens to rape a girl in the original dialog, but the line is censored in the dub. Some dubs have a tendency to insert random swearing and restructure conversations in a way that makes the characters seem rude. So it is in fact not the same story.

You seem to think watching subs makes you some sort of leet0 anime fan but it doesn't so give up on that elitest "you are only a fan if you wish you were japanese" bullshit. Now go back and re-read what I said slowly and carefully and remember to sound out the long words.

Clearly, wanted to learn the language and culture of the country that anime (or anything) originates from is wrong so you should have it spoon fed to you through someone else's interpretation.

Careful, your ignorance is showing.

So it is in fact not the same story.

Clearly, wanted to learn the language and culture of the country that anime (or anything) originates from is wrong so you should have it spoon fed to you through someone else's interpretation.

Careful, your ignorance is showing.

Wtf are you even talking about? You're saying the ADV version isn't the same story as the Animego version? Boy, you people sure talk alot about ignorance. I think it's time you all looked in the mirror. Want to know how to learn about a culture? Go visit them. I did. I've been all over southern and south east asia and I didn't learn their customs by watching their cartoons.

If you speak english get the ADV set.

so now i should buy the version that YOU like, not what EYE like (misspelled in purpose).

i really don't give a fcuk if you want to watch dubs or subs but don't go around tryin' to convert ppl, that's like jehovah witnesses knockin' on your door day after day.

and no that isn't a flame.

anyways, i won't even bother to say what i like, i don't get on MW to argue with ppl. respect my opinion and i'll respect your opinion (besides, everybody has already said what i would have said in this matter, i would rep them but i guess this forum has no rep option).

Edited by DJ Loe Kee

Good grief....

Smifnwesson, if you want dubs, get the ADV version. If you want to save money and can live with subs, get the Animeigo version (i.e. the one RT.com is selling for $40, YES THAT'S RIGHT, $40 US).