Gundan ZZ

thegunny

I'm just about to finish Gundam Zeta (yeah I know a bit late but at least I've watched it).

I have Char's Counter Attack but I need to know if it's really neccessary to watch ZZ beforehand.

For what I can gather ZZ is a bit of a departure from the traditional structure of the series but is it important to watch it to keep the continuity?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

I just recently finished watching ZZ in hopes that it would provide some more impact to CCA, but it really didn't do much. The series is underrated and by the end it is an enjoyable series, but I don't think it's necessary to watch pre-CCA. It doesn't really give that much more background to the importance of Axis like I'd hoped it would. That said, watch it if you can. If you can get past the first 15-20 episodes it does become watchable and enjoyable.

Its not necessary, no. Most of the main players from CCA are absent for a large part of ZZ, with the exception of Bright Noa, who suffers the misfortune of becoming the Universal Centurys greatest straight man.

ZZ is a tad under-rated, largely because of the first twenty-odd episodes, which are a horror show. After that, it improves quite a bit, though some of the damage is permanent. There are numerous theories as to why this is so, although the most common one is that Tomino was tired of Gundam by this point and deliberately tried to sabotage it (my favourite alternative theory, although unfortunately highly unlikely as the time lines don't work, is that the first part was handled by a stand-in as Tomino was busy with work for CCA, and on his return, found out what had happened and metaphorically threw the other guy out the window. Or possibly for real. This is Tomino, after all... :) )

I never got past the part with the inept Zeons trying to capture the gundam and faling every episode but apparantly yes it does get better.

Has great theme though...

Anime Ja nai (Anime Ja Nai)

Anime Ja nai (anime Ja nai)

Hontou no koto sa!

It's not anime (Not anime)

It's not anime (not anime)

It's the real thing!

Can you skip ZZ? Yeah, you can, since it doesn't do anything to explain what happened to Char after Zeta and how he came to be leading a Neo Zeon movement.

Should you skip it? Absolutely not. Yeah, Tomino was a little burned out and depressed after Zeta. And yeah, ZZ starts off as some sort of slaptsick comedy. But after maybe 10-15 episodes, it really starts to pick up fast. All of the villains become less bungling and more sinister. The Gundam team becomes more mature as they're affected by the events going on. By the end of the series, you're back to Zeta levels of goodness.

Edited by mikeszekely

Mike's completely right. Also if you've watched the Zeta compilation movies, they present an alternate timeline which completely writes out ZZ with some comparatively minor edits and goes straight to CCA. You probably already knew that though... but I think it shows how easily it can be discarded from the time line.