Macross Fan Editing

boinger

1. I remember that imgburn gave me 3 choices for dual layer dvd break. I just picked the first layer break option in the list given by imgburn. The resulting dvd does play on my sony dvd player okay.

2. Most of COTB looks okay, but at some spots it does look blurry.

I'm encoding cotb again through tmpeg, but this time I'm not using ghost reduction, noise reduction, colour correction and sharpen edges filters and seeing how it looks.

Then I can also try changing the video aspect ratio. I've been using full screen/widescreen because I like how it fills up my widescreen monitor, but I'll try 1:1 vga or keep aspect ratio to see how that affects picture quality. "source of (blurriness) problem is upsizing to compensate black bars. "

6 hours to encode COTB without all the Tmpeg filters, so I'll take a look at the new COTB tomorrow morning.

It could be that I've edited this movie one too many times and the multiple encoding makes the video blurry. The zentradi scenes where I cropped the japanese translation definitely don't look as good as I hoped.

To fix the blurriness of the movie:

a. I could try powerdirector to crop the zentradi scenes and see if the picture quality stays the same. If I just put black bars over the zentradi / japanese subitles then the video wouldn't look like the COTB video like I was working towards. I'm afraid that I would be better off getting the video from the remastered dyrl again and starting over with powerdirector instead of womble video editor.

b. I''ll definintely try out that Video Enhancer software. It looks just like the thing to improve flash videos as well. Thanks!

(Double movie image by 2 and then crop zentradi video back.)

c. I have no knowlege about avisynth edge aware filters.

Does that work through tmpeg or virtualdubmod?

Just point me in the right direction and I'll read up on it and try it out.

3. Dvdlabpro2 is awkward, but it has a lot of useful functions. I just have to get used to dvd menu creation.

4. I'll see if the trial Premiere CS4 is working on vista64 after I try out the bunch of other ways to improve the video quality of the COTB movie.

I have not touched up any gamma settings with womble through tmpeg encoder. Maybe, it's the tmpeg settings? Otherwise, I'm not sure how to adjust frame by frame gamma problems. The end credit scene does come from the remastered Flashback 2012 video though.

I"ll have to take a look at Ulead Video Graphics Lab and see if I can use it on Vista 64 bit. But I think a black border over the Japanese subtitles wouldn't look good either.

I could only get top margin english song subtitles by hard encoding them with Womble video editor. Dvdlabpro2 dvd creator only uses .srt subtitle files, so the subtitles would only show up on the top or bottom of the movie, but not both top and bottom subtitles at the same time.

That's a lot of stuff I never considered.

Thanks S-47 Berkut!

Edited by boinger

I re encoded the video with Tmpeg encoder software and then compared it to the remastered dyrl video. There is not much video quality difference between the new cotb and the remastered dyrl that I can see, so I would suppose that that tmpeg filters don't necessarily help the video quality. The tmpeg filters were most likely the cause of the gamma changes from frame to frame. But, I'm not a big fan of film grain, especially in the remastered dyrl.

Here are snaphshots of dyrl remastered with subs and the cropped cotb version of one zentradi scene.

post-212-1225060160_thumb.jpg

post-212-1225060198_thumb.jpg

So, it looks like I can plug this version of COTB into the dvd.

I was able to filter out a lot of the hiss and heartbeats with Soundsoap, but then the guys sound like they are speaking through a brass tube. So, I'm going to play around with soundsoap and DAPDX dyrl commentary some more.

I converted the lpcm/wave files to smaller .ac3 files with AoA Audio Extractor, so the resulting dvd will be smaller as well.

I fixed up the dvd menu "resume movie" button though dvdlabpro2.

If S-47 Berkut would like to paint out the Japanese subtitles for the Zentradi scenes, then that would be a cool project for him. Ulead Videographics lab does not work on Vista for me and it would take weeks to do. Besides, I wanted the COTB movie to look cropped just like how I saw it on VHS long ago.

So, it looks like I can get COTB version 2.0 together in a couple of days. I'm not sure if I would be better off deleting version 1.0 right away from mininova or just wait until I get 2.0 working. Somebody might come up with some more good video editing ideas just by looking at my mistakes?!

Edited by boinger

Under the tmpeg encoding settings is full screen, center and keep aspect ratio. Oops.

I'll get onto re-encoding with the right aspect ratio: 16:9 525 line and full screen (keep aspect ratio 2)

Here's the all Tmpeg encoder aspect ratio settings that I'm looking at.

Source aspect ratio:

Tmpeg encoding software automatically picks out 1:1 VGA for me, but I've been choosing 16:9 525 line ntsc.

I could also pick

1:1 VGA

16:9 525 line*

16:9 display

4:3 display

2.21:1 display

Video Arrange Method:

I picked Full screen, but that distorts the aspect ratio.

I could also pick

Center - aspect ratio is off

Center (keep aspect ratio)

Center (custom size)

Full screen - aspect ratio is off

Full screen (keep aspect ratio)

Full screen (keep aspect ratio2)*

No margin (keep aspect ratio)

Center and 1:1 VGA has black bars on the left and right of the screen, so I'll be using 16:9 525 line with full screen (keep aspect ratio2). That looks like what I would like in an aspect ratio for COTB.

I'm working on the english commentary with soundsoap now.

Edited by boinger

Audio commentary is encoding now. 25% takes 6 hours, so commentary will be done by 6 pm tomorrow. I went through a video editor to get this audio commentary done, so I can see how the audio tracks line up. Heartbeats are quieter and most of the hiss is gone in the 2nd half of the commentary. Soundsoap2 is a good purchase. I hope it will come in handy for removing background music as well for music replacement.

I have all these DAPDX Macross commentaries on hand for fan edit extra features, so I'll see if I can do this for other Macross fan edits in the future, if that's all right with Ginrai and company.

I'm going over to my mom's tomorrow and then to work a nigh shift, so I'll see if I can post COTB 2.0 DVD Friday.

I need to pick up some more Dual Layer DVD+Rs.

Here's a snapshot of how COTB will look like. Aspect ratio is the same as remastered dyrl and it looks like the film grain is back in.

post-212-1225174137_thumb.jpg

I did some slight video editing to COTB 2.0. I took out the "boinger productions presents", redid the Macross Fan Edit logo, and stuck in my name and Gubaba as translator in the end credits. Looks a little nicer that way!

I have all these DAPDX Macross commentaries on hand for fan edit extra features, so I'll see if I can do this for other Macross fan edits in the future, if that's all right with Ginrai and company.

Cool by me. And hey, if you get a chance and want to dash off your fixed version of the commentary as an MP3 or something, I'd be glad to replace the one on the website with that so people can always just play with their existing DVD if they are too lazy to reburn. Glad you were able to clean up after my mistake!

They key is trying to get a quality AVI or MKV of the video since both are lossless formats.

From that video editors like VSO's Convert X works great.

Your vista problems are the main reason why i've never upgraded... B))

COTB stuff I'm working on:

1. DAPDX commentary is encoding again. I re edited throughout the audio because SoundSoap2 does reduce the background noise really well in some places, but at other places I had to use the original audio because I could not hear the guys talking when the audio was filtered. So, the commentary sounds better for the most part and sync 's up with the dyrl movie, but I was not able to fix the audio as well as I thought I could with Soundsoap2.

I'll put together an DAPDX DYRL special edition mp3 by tomorrow. The DYRL audio track will be a part of the commentary track now.

I found that Soundsoap2 cleans up audio to a certain extent but not completely without some audio loss. In order to do music replacement like I had in mind for a couple of video fan edits, I would have to learn how to build a soundtrack from scratch using the original soundtracks, sound effects and voice actors as separate elements, much like Hikuro is doing for his DYRL dub.

2. I found I mistyped one subtitle "N(n)now I believe in your love" in the ending dyrl battle scene. Nuts! So, I'll correct that subtitle flub that occurs in both COTB and DYRL gubaba sytle videos. Then I'll repost a fixed avi for each and the COTB video will be ready for DVD.

3. I was thinking that I could do a fake 5.1 english and japanese audio soundtrack with womble video editor, since I am reducing the soundtrack size from wave to ac3.

4. I'm going to have to burn a test dvd and see how Tmpeg is keeping the aspect ratio.

I cannot tell what aspect ratio has been encoded by Tmpeg encoder. I know I encoded the video as widescreen (16:9, full screen, keep aspect ratio2). When I watch COTB with Videolan player to a widescreen aspect ratio, I get a squashed picture with huge top and bottom black bars. COTB video can be unsquashed when I set Videolan as 4:3 aspect ratio instead of widescreen. What the?

I indexed all scenes with subtitles and rough evaluate needed work to fix it.

So

80% can be repaired by simply copying from unaffected frames,

10% will require advanced mullti layer copying with zoom, resize, rotate

and last 10% need hand redrawing :angry:

Some notes after first fix attempt :

U video paint not give subpixel accuracy - i need do resize up to 2 or 4 before edit.

layer editing here also weak - need do it in photoshop.

wacom pen tablet - rulezz B))

I think I figured out why I have had problems with the aspect ratio when encoding this movie to widescreen 720x480.

I remember that I had originally made an DYRL remastered .avi with AutoGk from the remastered DYRL dvd video. I picked out maximum resolution under AutoGk settings and AutoGk came out with an odd resolution of 768x432. So, I remade an .avi of remastered DYRL with AutoGk and the aspect ratio/resolution is now 720x400.

post-212-1225401922_thumb.jpg

The original remastered DYRL DVD video has a resolution of 853x480!

post-212-1225401883_thumb.jpg

I plugged in that new 720x400 resolution video through Tmpeg using settings 16:9 with Full screen (aspect ratio1). The bottom of the video is cropped to take out the Japanese subtitles. I think the video looks better.

post-212-1225401960_thumb.jpg

Even if I do not crop the japanese subtitles, widescreen resolution is 720x480 though my video editing software. Tmpeg might have a custom aspect ratio/resolution. I'll check again.

Tmpeg has center custom display settings that can be set at 853x480, which still doesn't look right and the movie still gets encoded as 720x480. I'll keep trying different settings. I think I'm close

Edited by boinger

I think I figured out why I have had problems with the aspect ratio when encoding this movie to widescreen 720x480.

I remember that I had originally made an DYRL remastered .avi with AutoGk from the remastered DYRL dvd video. I picked out maximum resolution under AutoGk settings and AutoGk came out with an odd resolution of 768x432. So, I remade an .avi of remastered DYRL with AutoGk and the aspect ratio/resolution is now 720x400.

post-212-1225401922_thumb.jpg

The original remastered DYRL DVD video has a resolution of 853x480!

post-212-1225401883_thumb.jpg

I plugged in that new 720x400 resolution video through Tmpeg using settings 16:9 with Full screen (aspect ratio1). The bottom of the video is cropped to take out the Japanese subtitles. I think the video looks better.

post-212-1225401960_thumb.jpg

Even if I do not crop the japanese subtitles, widescreen resolution is 720x480 though my video editing software. Tmpeg might have a custom aspect ratio/resolution. I'll check again.

Tmpeg has center custom display settings that can be set at 853x480, which still doesn't look right and the movie still gets encoded as 720x480. I'll keep trying different settings. I think I'm close

Ah... the old resolution thing.

This may or may not clear things up.

Your TV, for an SD image is going to show things at either 720x486 or 720x480 (depending on whether or not it's D1 or DV resolution). This is regardless of whether the image is 4x3, 16x9, or 4x3 with letter boxing to appear 16x9. That's just the way it is. However, NTSC video has pixels that are not square, but rather rectangular. That means that if anything ever gets converted to square pixels, the resolution is 720x540. Confused yet? Well, if an image is true 16x9, rather than squeezed (to be decoded and expanded later on), then it COULD be something like 853x480. This is how Final Cut Pro tends to export 16x9 stuff, even though it's not a real resolution (a DV camera shooting in 16x9 onto miniDV or DVCAM is recording a signal that is 720x480, that expects to be squashed to look widescreen). But, in order to not LOSE resolution, some programs stretch the video out horizontally, rather than squishing it down vertically to achieve the 16x9 look. Ugh. Confused yet? You should be. Different programs deal with it in different ways, and that's annoying. Techincally your 853x480 video hasn't LOST any resolution, and one would hope that your video software would be able to then recode it at 720x480, and then that our DVD player software or hardware or monitors would be able to then say, oh, this is meant to be 16x9, and display it as such. I don't know though.

Wow. I bet that didn't help anything.

I'll be glad when NTSC disappears for good. Which it won't be doing any time soon.

DAPDX DYRL special edition .mp3 now available!

128kbps, mp3

DYRL movie audio is a part of this commentary now.

I tried using 863x480 remastered dyrl .avi using AutoGk. It doesn't matter so much what resolution I use even if higher resolution does look better. If I keep cropping the japanese zentradi scenes from DYRL, then those scenes will not be in the right aspect ratio. I did find "maintain aspect ratio" button in the video editor, but when I used it for the cropped zentradi scenes the black bars on top and bottom of the video increased or decreased depending on how many pixels I cropped from the video.

At this time, I have the english commentary as fixed as much as I could and the japanese dyrl movie audio is working fine. I just finished cropping the japanese subtitles again with the new 863x480 dyrl video. The Flash back concert scene needs to have 863x480 resolution to get the same aspect ratio to fit in with the rest of the movie. It's slowly coming back into shape.

Hmm..

Looks like removing subs will take more time and work when expected.

Video ever with same content little shake, frames not aligned, but cloned patch stayed in same position, in play it look like cloned patch live his own life on video :angry:

Drawbacks of old film technology, but i need to carefully align patch on each frame, time consuming work.

VideoPaint have many limitation, so i found new proggy to do the job - TVPaint Animation, but i still learn how to use it.

Unfortunately, if you're going to literally crop out stuff, you'll need to resize the whole thing to maintain aspect ratio. You know, like using the fixed-sized marquee tool in Photoshop. You're going to be losing data if you crop anything, so, from my point of view, only crop stuff when absolutely necessary -- like when you accidentally get a tripod or light stand in the shot. Burned in text? I kinda feel like leaving it won't kill anybody. Or, alternately, you can always paint it out! It's only 12 fps max. So, you're looking at... a bazillion frames or so.

I finished encoding the video for COTB 2.0 and now I'm encoding the audio files. I'll see if I get all the audio files into .ac3 format and have 5.1 sound as well as stereo.

So, when I crop the subtitles and keep the aspect ratio, the scene has different sized top and bottom bars. It looks like if I keep the aspect ratio, crop out the Japanese subtitles and pan into the scene, then I would lose a lot more of the scene then if the aspect ratio is a little off. I tried panning into the scene with the right aspect ratio and the video editor started zooming in to the video with the right aspect ratio instead of making the video sceen size larger to match up with the other video. I haven't figure that out yet.

I have been cropping the zentradi scenes because that's how it was on Clash of the Bionoids and that's what I wanted for this fan edit. If you would like to extract the audio from the Clash of the Bionoids fan edit and put it to together with your version of DYRL, then go right ahead.

S-47 Berkut is looking into painting out the Japanese subtitles, which is a big project in itself and would fix the resizing/cropping/aspect ratio completely. Once he's sorted that out, I would be willing to match up the dyrl and the cotb audio for S-47 Berkut's fan edit dyrl into an .avi on iMacross4.

I just noticed all the pop noises in the COTB english audio. aargh!

Edited by boinger

I remember updating womble within this week. So, I'm downloading a previous womble update and hearing if the audio pops go away. The audio source has no pop sounds and then within womble there's pop sounds

I was just thinking that if I remove the crop filter, zoom in to the scene to block out the Japanese subtitles and then make some adjustments by panning the scene, then aspect ratio will not be affected. I'll play around with that tomorrow and see if it looks okay.

Fixed the pop sounds in womble. The problem pop sound wasn't due to the womble update patch. I was re using the audio from the COTB 2.0 avi file, but Womble can't decode the sound from the .avi properly as a sound file. So, I extracted just the .wav audio file from the COTB 2.0 .avi and now the pop sounds are gone.

I tried zooming the japanese subtitles out, but when I tried to pan down to get a better view, the whole picture pans down insteand of just within the frame panning down. Maybe, if just use the pan function and skip the zoom?

Just before going to work, I tried just panning the zentradi scene while maintaining the aspect ratio and found that it was what I expected: too much of the picture frame is cut out . That's that.

I need to double check for audio pops in the english commentary and the japanese audio.

Edited by boinger

All .ac3 audio tracks of COTB are as fixed up as I can make them.

COTB 2.0 video is just fine, so now I'm re authoring and testing the DVD.

Probably done in a couple of days, so I'll post here with a mininova.org link for the bittorrent.

remastered DYRL video:

resolution 863x480

aspect ratio maintained throughout movie except for zentradi scenes

Tmpeg settings:

1:1 VGA

no margins, keep aspect ratio

16:9 display

Harpnotedx on youtube has put together VFX2 video game captures up to episode 10b! But, it lacks the character dialogue of the inbetween game play. Torii is pretty busy with school right now, but he's interested in getting those scenes included with his version of VFX2. So, VFX2 the movie does seem a possibility in the future.

maboroshistudio has put together a cool macross music video on youtube: Macross Digital Love. So, I was thinking if anybody else has some cool Macross music videos, we could put them together in to a Macross music video DVD.

1 hour appoximately

all fan-made music videos of Macross

1. Macross Digital Love

2. Macross Plus Information High

(remastered footage will be used)

3.another Macross music video that maboroshistudio is working on

4. The song of an angel's paints

5. I'm working on a Macross zero / Dogfight by MOVE next week.

6. DYRL english song by Sumi and DYRL footage

7. ??

etc.

I'll take a look at my collection of Miscellaneous Macross videos and see if I have a few more.

If anybody has a good copy of a Macross music video or would like to make a Macross music video send me a pm.

Edited by boinger

First result of removing subs. I learn enough TVPaint to do that.

At first look it may look as easy copying, but i need to align each copied patch to compensate frame jitter and color correct it to match target frame.

Archive had two video: one - only sub was removed, second - +noise filtered and zoomed to compensate black bars. Encoded with MSU lossless codec - included.

http://rapidshare.com/files/162507230/sub_...-20301.rar.html

Wow! What an improvement!

You look like you're on the right track.

Keep up the good work!

COTB 2.0 update:

I'm just re encoding the video into a higher bit rate to check to see if the video quality looks better for a DL DVD. You can always re encode the movie with DVDShrink (or DVDrebuilder supposedly) into a single layer DVD. Otherwise, this version sounds better overall and looks a bit better with the higher resolution and trying to maintain the aspect ratio whenever possible.

Macross Music DVD update:

I went through the youtube thread and looked over what macross video files I have.

It comes out to about 30 files or 100 minutes. Some are in a lot better video quality than

the others which would need to have the video re edited. Here's a list of some I would like on the DVD.

You can suggest other macross music videos. If you have a really good video copy of some of these videos then send me a copy please.

1. Macross Digital Love

by maboroshistudio

SDF TV, 4 minutes

Very good! maboroshistudio gave me a really nice version. He has a website with download links for his videos; just check his MW signature.

2. Information High

by maboroshistudio

M+, 7 minutes

Maboroshistudio is planning to get this video redone with remastered M+ video.

3. another one macross music video

by maboroshistudio

M+, 4 minutes

He's working on this one now and then he'll post up an .avi link for the high quality video.

4. The song of an Angel's Paints

by boinger

Flashback, 5 minutes

5. Dogfight

by boinger

M zero, 4 minutes

I'll be working on that this week. Inspired by the two other M zero music videos that looked pretty good,

but not quite what I wanted to see.

6. One day more

by

SDF TV/Miserables musical, 4 minutes

7. Angel Voice Duet

by

M7/DYRL, 4 minutes

8. DYRL music video of DYRL by sumi

by boinger

DYRL, 7 minutes

I'll work on this one next week.

9. Ash like Snow

by mast3rsniper

Frontier, 4 minutes

10. Bye Bye Beautiful

by mast3rsniper

Frontier, 4 minutes

11. Taking over me

by mast3rsniper

Frontier, 4 minutes

12. The escapist

by mast3rsniper

Frontier, 4 minutes

mast3rsniper makes good music videos.

I'm not sure right now if it would be better to make 2 DVDs of Macross music videos.

13. Top gun VS Macross plus

by

M+/Top gun, 5 minutes

14. Macross Love slideshow

by

SDF TV, 4 minutes

15. Macross Memories slideshow

by

SDF TV, 4 minutes

16. Macross Tribute slideshow

by

SDF TV, 4 minutes

17. Minmay attacks

by

Macross Game, 2 minutes

18. Galaxy Angel

by

Flashback/DYRL, 4 minutes

19. Macross DYRL and Linkin Park

by

DYRL, 4 minutes

20. Macross New Frontier

by

Frontier with New Frontier song, 5 minutes

I like this one, but the flash video is blocky. I was thinking that it would be good for a

possible trailer or alternate beginning credits for Frontier episode 1 extended.

21. Macross Frontier Violin Duet Trilogy

by Screamer and Darth Vader

Frontier, 4 minutes each song

22. Metamatics Norken

by

Frontier, 4 minutes

23. Macross Frontier DYRL song

by

Frontier, 3 minutes

That's the video list for now. I might have to re edit the video for a lot of these if I can't get Movie Enhancer software to improve the flash video.

Edited by boinger

SSFM COTB 2.0 is now available!

So, I'll just be seeding COTB 2.0 from now on.

Improvements:

1. Higher resolution used for remastered DYRL movie.

2. Film grain is intact with no Tmpeg video filters.

3. Aspect ratio is more accurate now, except for the cropped Zentradi scenes.

4. English audio dub is fixed up even more.

5. DAPDX commentary is complete and SoundSoap2 filtered whenever possible.

6. The song of an angel's paints re-edited with improved video.

7. DVD menu button "resume movie" fixed

8 "N(n)ow I believe in your love" dyrl song subtitle fixed

9. English/Japanese audio in stereo and 5.1 .ac3

Thanks for seeding!

boinger

For now, I'm just going to work on getting M7 plus videos subtitled and timed for Xeros remastered M7 DVD project. The .srt subtitle files will work with the .mkv M7 videos if the subtitle file name is changed to the video name.

3 done, 15 more to go.

The more I read up on interlaced and deinterlaced/progressive video, the more unsure I am in that I did as good a job for picture quality for COTB. The remastered DYRL is 23.97 fps uninterlaced video. I've been checking on "deinterlace" in the Tmpeg encoder settings every time because of all the problems I've been reading about interlaced video having overlapping, jagged images.

I'm encoding the remastered DYRL video againe without the "deinterlace" option and see if there is a difference. COTB 2.0 appears to look okay at first glance, but there could be interlacing artifacts or jagged edges. It could be Videolan player.

Edited by boinger

If the video source was interlaced originally, deinterlacing it just drops your vertical resolution in half, by removing one field and duplicating it, or interpolating it.

If the video source was progressive to begin with, deinterlace STILL might lose you some resolution.

What you gotta know is that at 29.97, NTSC, you're actually dealing with roughly 60 fields a second, rather than frames. With a 24p (or 23.98p, or whatever) source, what's happening is that a pulldown is occuring. That is, 4 frames are being spread out over 5 fields. The type of pulldown depends on the encoder and decoder.

If everything is staying at 24 from start to finish, then one shouldn't have to worry about fields, but, if it's ever been NTSC or PAL or SECAM, then it will have been converted to fields at one point. And the question becomes, how did the people who captured the footage actually go about capturing it?

I tell you, my secret wish is for video fields to disappear from the earth forever, and for stupid-ass NTSC to vanish, too. Even the new HD broadcast format is stupid 59.94 frames per second, interlaced. Progressive HD programming is just pulled down. What this means is that, even if you have 24 frames per second, your data rate is still, at broadcast, going to be 59.94 frames per second, or 119.88 fields per second. Stupid. And interlace is dumb. Always has been, always will be. It's just, sometimes we don't have any option. Since older anime was actually shot on film, that means that any new "prints" of the program could be in true 24p, but usually by the time it is distributed, we don't get the true, pure datarate, we get some dumb bullshit.

I'm griping, because for the past five years or so, the rapidly evolving formats have made my job a constant living hell. So I feel for you. I really do.

I know you're trying to help me, but I get a little lost with all the technical details. I appreciate it.

The remastered DYRL R2 DVD can be extracted as a 23.98/24 frames per second (fps), noninterlaced video. But, then dvdlabpro does a 3:2 pulldown and converts the 24 fps to 30 fps for the DVD creation. I'm not sure how to get 24 fps nonconverted video as the standard in dvdlabpro; I'll need to read up some more on 3:2 pulldown. Maybe, there's a button in dvdlabpro I missed.

I double-checked the remastered dyrl encoded with and without Tmpeg encoded deinterlacing. I couldn't see any difference in visual quality between the two video files. Videolan media player does have options to change the deinterlaced video from bob (separate the interlaced video frames, instead of slapping them together) and weave (blur the two intelaced video frames into a smooth blur). I noticed Bob deinterlacing in Videolan player looked bad for the subtitles, so that made me think that there might be deinterlacing issues in the remastered DYRL video.

So, that's as good as I can make the remastered DYRL video for COTB for now.

COTB 2.0 DVD actually looks really good to me.

When S-47 Berkut has figured out how to remove all the Japanese hard-encoded subtitles, then a new improved remastered DYRL could be done. Just a touch of videoediting for the 12 frame Bodolzaa fortress video glitch, with Japanese subtitles removed and some audio editing for the remastered audio with all those little audio pops and DYRL is super remastered. I hope soundsoap2 or audacity can fix those little audio pops in the remastered dyrl soundtrack because the remastered audio sounds a lot cleaner than the theartrical audio.

Anyways, that's for later.

I'll be offline for uploading today because my condo has test the new electrical system for the building.

I just came back from groceyr shopping and found my desktop computer not working. I turned off all my electrical appliances just in case there was a power surge from the Hydro guys fixing something. Looks like the desktop computer powersupply is dead. I'll go buy a new one asap. I hope that's all it is.

On Videolan media player (Vista 64), COTB 2.0 DVD looks and sounds just fine the way I expected.

And then I went to Futureshop to pick up some more dual layer dvds to test out with my sony and yamaha dvd player.

Then I found that this DVD is best watched on a computer and not so well on a regular dvd player.

Fixes needed:

1. all the audio tracks have to be .ac3 on the dvd, othewise the .wave files of the extra videos play silent on the dvd player.

I need to swap out the .wav/pcm audio of trailer, music video and both original end credits.

Womble video editor creates the mpeg audio files, then Tmpeg encoder software to demultiplex out the .ac3 out of the mpeg file and finally plug in the new .ac3 files into the dvd.

2. COTB fan trailer had 1 frame glitch that wasn't obvious when I was watching with Videolan player.

3. DVDLabPro dvd subtitle fix:

a. uncheck 16:9 letterbox

b. move bottom margin up 40 pixels

4. Gubaba asked me to change his end credit to english script editor and I flubbed that because I forgot about swapping out the new edited end credits would take 3 steps because of the 2 layers of english credits and song subtitles.

5. COTB 2.0 was encoded as 1:1 VGA with no margin/keep aspect ratio.

COTB now looks letterboxed on my tv and on my computer, so I think the aspect ratio problem is fixed.

Videolan player works too well as a dvd player. So, I'll check if testing with Nero Showtime or Windows media player would be more like playing on dvd players.

6. The "over scan" error happens when I watched the original COTB ending credits. It's an easy fix that I thought I fixed a while ago, but didn't. A little bit of the left and right of the credits are chopped off. So, I just move the credits inside of the video frame and now it's fixed.

7. Then I noticed a big difference in video quality when watching COTB 2.0 DVD on my LG LCD monitor and on my Samsung 50" DLP TV. I'm just griping about my TV. Movies don't look quite as good as on my computer LCD monitor. The DLP TV smudges and blurs colours and details. I'm not sure if it's broken or just not set up properly. It looks like it's a combination of the remastered DYRL film grain and Samsung's digital noise reduction filter that makes the video look so-so on my DLP TV.

I'm picking up 10 night shifts in a row, so by the time COTB 2.0 is seeded, I'll have COTB 3.0 fixed up.

For now, I could just play COTB 2.0 with my computer hooked up to my TV.

I hope I learn from my mistakes or somebody else does.

Edited by boinger

• 3 weeks later...

Clash of the Bionoids 2.1 DL DVD now available on miniNova.org!

That's as good as I can make it for COTB.

The COTB 2.1 .avi will be uploaded in the next 3-4 days.

I'll be working on the DHE Macross Zero Episode one DVD.

Music video, trailer and upgrading the video for the episode with blue ray video.

I'll update the details on the first page of this thead.

That'll keep me busy up until Christmas!

And then a whole new year and another Macross video project.

Kind of funny, I really never thought that Zero would go HD, kind of makes me wanna pull out the stops and redo that audio pretty bad, but it'd take me too damn long to get everything back together...well hmmm....eh I dunno, I'd have to make contacts...I got some of the old audio and bits and pieces of lines here and there...I'd have to redo a mass majority of it.

I'm going to try to see if there is a difference in video quality for the M zero BD .mkv files compared

to the Macross Zero SD DVD video when I use the higher resolution m zero .mkv files in the video editor.

I need to experiment a bit to see if I can output high resolution video onto a SD DVD.

I don't think DVDLabpro does high def for dvd creation. So, at best I might be able to do a high def .mkv or .avi.

This high definition video editing is new to me, so we'll see how it goes.

For now, I'll use Hikuro's first version of the DHE M zero ep1 audio.

I can always swap out and retime the audio if needed.

Hikuro,

I was watching your DYRL footage and it looks like you have a 4:3 full screen aspect ratio instead

of a 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio.

4:3 looks like a square like box made for regular tv s

16:9 looks more like a rectangle with black borders on top and bottom.

Maybe there's setting in your video editor for aspect ratio?

I used tmpeg encoder to set my aspect ratio as 1:1 VGA, then full screen (no margins, keep aspect ratio).

I moved the Misa vs. Minmay audio drama DVD back into potential Macross fan edits,

since I haven't heard from lynn2009 for months and Gubaba is focused on

Macross Chronicle issue 1-50 for the next 5-6 months.

Yeah it's full screened, I don't really have an interest in widescreen at this late in the game seeing how I'm having someone else now take care of the sub work and encoding. I'll see if he can get it to wide screen, but I'm not holding my breath for it.

Yeah it's full screened, I don't really have an interest in widescreen at this late in the game seeing how I'm having someone else now take care of the sub work and encoding. I'll see if he can get it to wide screen, but I'm not holding my breath for it.

Just to be clear, Hikuro's version of DYRL is the full picture, but squished to be 4x3. If you're using a player like SMPlayer or VideoLAN, you can force it to view the image in 16x9, which shows it in the proper aspect ratio. WiMP is not terribly good at letting you make your own choices, so then it displays improperly. There are three ways to address this, depending on the final end user's hardware.

1) Create a file that is 16x9 with SQUARE 1:1 pixels. That would mean the file size would be 720x405 or 856x540. We often see things that are 856x480 which is 16x9 with an NTSC 0.9 ratio pixel (TV pixels are not squares, but actually rectangles -- you'll notice that 4x3 would actually equal 720x540, but with D1 video, due to the rectangle pixel, 4x3 is actually equal to 720x486, and with DV 720x480).

2) Make sure that the file is coded to be understood as a 16x9 image, so that whatever player can decode and display properly. I'm not sure that a regular playback format has this option, but when burning a DVD you can tell it whether or not your 720x480 file is meant to be 4x3 or 16x9. At least in DVD Studio Pro, which is the only DVD burning software I have any experience with.

3) Hardware. If you have a monitor or DVD player that allows you to force the aspect ratio, you can hit the 16x9 button, and you'll be set.

If it's confusing, it may help to think about feature films. When they shoot a movie, a widescreen movie, they're shooting (most likely) on 35mm film. This is the same stuff that you put into a 35mm still camera (if anybody still remembers those). So how do they fit a wide 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 image into a little 35mm frame? Via anamorphic lenses. These lenses SQUEEZE the image so that it fits into a smaller box. Then, when projecting the film, you have another set of lenses that expands the image back to its original size. This is what's happening with Hikuro's file. Basically, the image has been squeezed to fit into the smaller box (4x3) and we need to tell our players to stretch it back out.

When S-47 Berkut is able to remove the japanese subtitles out of DYRL nicely, then the DRYL fan edits won't need blurring or cropping.

I'll have to ask S-47 Berkut what resolution he is using for his DYRL fan edit. In order to get the closest aspect ratio, I ended up using 864X480 to try to match to the original remastered DYRL video.

Once S-47 Berkut has done his magic, then a even better edition of the remastered DYRL can be put together plus fixed up versions of DYRL fan edits.

I did a little sound filtering soundsoap2 for the remastered DYRL stereo audio for pop/crackle removal. I couldn't hear any pops on the filetered audio, so I'll just save that .wav sound file for now.

When S-47 Berkut is able to remove the japanese subtitles out of DYRL nicely, then the DRYL fan edits won't need blurring or cropping.

I'll have to ask S-47 Berkut what resolution he is using for his DYRL fan edit. In order to get the closest aspect ratio, I ended up using 864X480 to try to match to the original remastered DYRL video.

Once S-47 Berkut has done his magic, then a even better edition of the remastered DYRL can be put together plus fixed up versions of DYRL fan edits.

I did a little sound filtering soundsoap2 for the remastered DYRL stereo audio for pop/crackle removal. I couldn't hear any pops on the filetered audio, so I'll just save that .wav sound file for now.

864 is what I meant, not 856. Your 864x480 file is likely the perfect resolution and aspect ratio.