Macross Fan Editing

boinger

Remastering the remaster DYRL is taking me longer than I thought. I corrected and changed and added on all the song subtitles directly into the movie. I also changed up my dyrl subtitles to better match with Gubaba's version.

Then I've been working on using photoshop to make an all english DYRL movie title. Almost finished getting the movie title to look nice and to zoom and fade the way I want. Now that I figured out how to do the custom english movie title, I can then apply that to COTB and SDF MML v5. Then there's the zentradi interview that needs subtitling on the top margin of the movie. Tmpeg has been working nicely at getting the video grain smoothed over. So, by this week end I think I can upload the DYRL Best Edition xvid avi to imacross4. And then onto COTB.

I needed to get the remastered DYRL into shape, so I can also work the COTB fan edit and SDF MML v5 with the improved video.

When I work night shifts, all the finicky details just becomes that much more difficult to do.

I stopped seed the SDF MML bittorrents for the next 3-4 days, so I can upload a bunch of remastered Macross 7 episodes and other Macross files to iMacross4. uTorrent really slows down my internet connection. Maybe, I have too much stuff up/downloading on utorrent?

• 3 weeks later...

Progress Report on COTB special edition:

Last weekend, I finished working on a
1. custom photo shop movie title to be inserted into the movie.
2. I had some help with proshow gold to get the aspect ratio of the sdf1 the right size for replacement within movie title.
3. I was at the 1 hour mark of re-timing DAPDX commentary on the original DYRL movie.
4. DYRL Best edition is DYRL with the better video and audio that I needed in the first place for my other DYRL video projects.

Then I got side tracked by other macross projects and stuff.

1. My younger brother is getting me to put up his extra computer stuff on ebay

2. I've been compiling WM Cheng's step by step modeling guides into pdf files for imacross4. I'm working on page 1 of the yf-21. The VF0S is the last modeling guide I can do until Shawn can recover the old Macross World forums. Shawn said he'd look into it soon. All the WMCheng's modeling guides pdf files can be found in the Macross Miscellaneous folder.

3. Every other day, I'm finding "new" old Macross stuff being re isssued. "Falling snow in the milky way" and Macross: Inside story is on iMacross4 under the Music folder. I haven't watched all the Macross Frontier subtitled versions, but I consider Shinsen subs reliable, so I have been uploading those to iMacross4.

4. I received remastered M+ dvd s last week, so I shared them with (requested deletion) Macross Share website. Gubaba and EricF have been great at getting a new translation and timing for this remasterd movie. I still would like to extract a couple of new documentary videos from the M+ dvd set that have never been seen before. The videos need subtitling though.

5. I went through the Macross World Ads webpage and found some pictures and videos for the Macross Games folder. I haven't uploaded them yet.

6. I also received Macross Zero dvd 1, 2 with 3 coming in the mail.

I'm trying to stay focused on getting one project done. It's a Macross bonanza right now, so I get a little distracted.
So, I'll finish up WMCheng's yf21 pdf and then work on only the COTB dvd. Then I'll take a break and do the vf0s guide pdf

Edited by boinger

• 2 weeks later...

your efforts are appreciated, keep us updated! After my vacation I will be taking a look at your MML work...I like your "Special Edition" approach to this...I can't provide much technical help, but I would love to help out by providing another set of eyes to look at your work. From the knight26 review you didn't really get much help in creative input.

I just like the idea so much, I'd like to help in any way that I can! (if a v5 is in the works that is...)

Edited by OptimusX

• 2 weeks later...

I finally found a video software that I can composite pictures over video and it looks pretty good in the preview screen: Cyberlink Director pro.

So, I can finally finish the COTB movie title the way I would like: moving starfield in the background, cotb title zooming into place and sdf1 zooming. It's just a matter of getting the pictures to stay the same size and aspect ratio when I zoom in and out with the sdf1 and cotb title.

If Director pro doesn't lock up too many more times and produces a good quality encoded picture, then I can get back to timing the english commentary.

software that didn't work for me:

vegas, premiere, wax, womble works so-so, ulead media studio pro doesn't work on vista, proshow gold doesn't have a composite feature

P.S.

I updated the first page on how far I've gotten with COTB. And I also put together a dvd cover for COTB special edition dvd.

Edited by boinger

• 2 weeks later...

Clash of the Bionoids update:

Not quite finished yet.

I fixed up the movie title the way I wanted with the custom english Macross title.

Cropped out the japanese subtitles.

Added and timed the song subtitles on top margin.

Timed the DAPDX english commentary.

(The last hour of the english commentary has a hiss and a heartbeat, which I was unable to remove with Nero wave editor or Audacity. So, I tried raising and lowering the volume of the japanese soundtrack and english commentary. The 2nd half is quieter than the first half.)

COTB orginal end credits are ready for the dvd.

DYRL original end credits are ready for the dvd.

Today, I finished fixing up the COTB special edition end credits sequence with english titles, english song subtitles (hard encoded into top margin) and the full "the song of an angel's paints" concert from the remastered Macross Flashback 2012.

It turned out pretty good!

Since, I ended up extending the end credits; I have to go back and retime the japanese audio and english commentary audio to include the new ending. I am just encoding the video fixes with TMPEG software right now. So next, I'll work on the DYRL subtitles into shape. At the same time, I'm going to fix up DYRL best edition .ssa subtitles. That will take a couple of hours. Then the audio retiming.

And then I can retime the english COTB VHS audio. Trailer and dvd menu need doing, too. Almost there!

After re doing the DYRL end credit sequence for the 3rd/4th/5th time, I was thinking that I could do a music video of "The Song of an Angel's Paints by Lynn Minmay". I could re order the two angel's paints scenes and add subtitles and credits.

Also, I was thinking of doing DYRL Gubaba style. Gubaba has put his own translation and interpretation of the DYRL subtitles, so that the Zentradi are only subtitled when there is Japanese subtitles or the zentradi speak japanese. Gubaba's DYRL2.srt subtitle file works with DYRL best edition, but the song subtitles need to be hard encoded into the top margin of the movie and the songs deleted out of the subtitle file.

But, I said to Hikuro that I would work on Macross Zero ep 1 english dub DVD conversion after COTB special edition.

Edited by boinger

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE:

(thanks EXO!)

I updated my first post to say that I was able to get Hikuro's Macross Zero episode 1 with better video quality as an .avi file, 4 parts under the Macross Zero folder on iMacross4. Use HJSplit software to reintegrate to avi file.

Mini DVD of M zero ep1 will take me a little while longer. Any comments or suggestions to improve the beginning and end credits are welcome.

I thought I had the custom COTB end credits ready to plug in to the COTB movie and then found that the audio was way off and the video had glitches. I'm working on the end credits tomorrow. Then the english audio this week.

COTB is slowly coming along, but it's getting there.

Edited by boinger

Wow thanks for the luvin. I do have a DVD and Label designed. It's the official Bandai/Emotion one, edited with English text, and I should still have the custom Front Cover that Akt_m designed for me 2 years ago.

If you want them let me know. I sadly though don't have anything featurette wise like audio commentaries, bloopers or AMV's since it was just the first episode.

I watched it, thankfully while Rapidshare still only allows 1 dl at a time, there's no more of that 2 hour wait crap.

I enjoyed it, better video quality by far, only complaint is while I was watching it, the sound would cut off after a long period of playing....I counted atleast 2 times, once when it cuts to Shin and Mao on the beach and the other was when the VF-0 rockets passed Shin and Sara.

Other then that, I think I enjoyed this a lil mor ethen I use too.

I double checked the Macross Zero ep 1 english dub audio from the .wmv files and the .wav audio file and the audio gaps are both there. The main audio drop when the vf0s flies in is actually supposed to be there.

I can touch up the two quiet moments on the beach with shin, sara and mao with the audio from the dvd and fill in the quiet spot at the main title for the mini DVD. Otherwise, the posted macross zero ep1 dub .avi is good to go.

I updated the the first post for future Macross Fan Edit projects to reflect all the possible Macross Drama CDs that Gubaba and Renato are working on for translation. That's a lot of fan edits! Anybody who would like try to do one can send me a pm.

COTB update:

I'm having a difficulty getting Womble video editor to output the end credits of COTB at 23.98 fps through the TMPEG encoder. I keep ending up with 30 fps video that is mismatched with the audio. I'll keep trying until I get it.

Edited by boinger

• 3 weeks later...

Clash of the Bionoids special edition (COTB) update:

I just finished timing and fixing up the english audio to match up with the remastered DYRL video. It took me a while because of the custom ending credits had to be matched up to all 3 audio files.

Video encoding of COTB with TMPEnc software will be finished up by tomorrow. Then I use MuxMan sofware to turn the encoded mpeg video file and wave audio file into a dvd vob file. From that .vob file, I use AutoGK to crank out the avi file for uploading to rapidshare.

The xvid avi of COTB will most likely be available by the end of this week on iMacross4.

Also, I found I need to redo the japanese audio for the COTB because the audio didn't finish encoding for the full movie.

Then that leaves the COTB movie trailer, the Zero music video, Zero ep1 preview trailer. Zero ep. 1 dvd cover and a couple of dvd menus to sort out. That'll keep me busy for another month. Then I can either work on version 5 of SDF DYRL extended or remastered Macross Plus extended.

I also posted on youtube a music video fan edit of "the song of an Angel's paints" from Macross Flashback 2012; which is the custom dyrl ending credit sequence that I have been fussing over.

Edited by boinger

Super Space Fortress Macross

Clash of the Bionoids

Special Edition

xvid avi., 20 parts, HJSplit

Now available on iMacross4!

I've just been tidying up iMacross4 a bit and watching "magic of editing" dvd for today.

This week, I'll work on some macross movie trailers and a music video for the dvd s.

I'll post again when I have something together.

If you would like to comment or offer suggestions for improvements on COTB or other fan edits, then post here or send me a pm.

Thanks for watching!

I just saw that the end credits on the .avi are cut off a bit on the left or right side of frame.

The original mpeg video file has end credits that look just the way I was expecting them to be, so the culprit software for the video glitch would be Muxman software changing the resolution slightly to the original mpeg when converting into a dvd vob file.

The dvd version will have end credits that aren't chopped off because I'll be importing the original COTB mpeg directly into DVDlabpro for the dvd.

Otherwise, I thought COTB looks really good and is now almost bearable to listen to all the bad english voice actors.

I'm playing around with a movie trailer for COTB now. This might take me a little while. I'm not sure if I'll use alternate macross music or try to make it funny.

Edited by boinger

I think I'll work on DYRL gubaba style before I get the COTB movie trailer done. I just don't have a clear idea how to present COTB in a movie trailer just now. For DYRL gubaba, I just need to fix up a custom dyrl movie title and touch up the end credits, so probably done by Tuesday.

I was just thinking that I could do a quick Macross plus remastered OVA with english dub for this week. Or maybe get some Macross 7 plus extra videos subtitled. We'll see.

So, if anybody would like to put together a COTB movie trailer into an avi, then I'll include that in the dvd.

Clash of the Bionoids fixes:

Audio:

1. Bodolza orders the destruction of everybody is a little out of sync

fixed

2. 2nd half of dyrl song out of sync

fixed

Video:

1. english credits slightly chopped off at edge of screen

fixed

2. Kentarou changed to Kentaro

fixed

Three people have downloaded COTB special edition, so I'm just wondering if there's any more glitches I need to touch up before I get the dvd menu fixed up.

That just leaves the COTB trailer.

Some other Macross projects I'm working on are:

a. Macross Perfect memory scanned to .cbr file

b. SDF Macross Miss D.J. drama video slideshow

Thanks Gubaba!

c. DYRL gubaba style

DYRL fixed up, so that Gubaba's .srt subitle file will better match up with the movie.

I fixed up a custom english dyrl movie title scene. Looks really good.

I'm not sure if I will alter dyrl more for the sake of preparing for Hikaru's dyrl english dub. Hikuro is pretty determined about using Windows movie maker for his dyrl dub, but that software doesn't do fancy stuff with good video quality. So, now I'm thinking about what Hikuro suggested about blocking out the japanese hard encoded subtitles and typing in the english subtitles over the zentradi scenes. Then I would be tempted to keep the ending credits the same as COTB special edition, so that Hikuro's team credits could be plugged in.

d. Macross plus remastered OVA 1-4

english dub

episode 4 with new song mix will be a little tricky for me.

e. Hikuro's Macross zero ep 1 english dub mini dvd

i. I found two neat Macross Zero music videos that both work with MOVE dogfight song. I can't do a straight transfer of these videos into a usable video files because the video quality is poor and the spanish and song subtitles are really distracting.

So, I'll watch both videos and cut back and forth using raw video files of Macross zero.

ii. trailer?

iii. DVD cover

iv. Gubaba is pretty busy, so if anybody would like to download Macross Zero zero parody video from iMacross4 and translate it, then I would like to include it on the mini DVD.

v. anbu-aone m zero ep1 video needs a little of video editing and good to go.

It's a good thing I'm on holidays.

Edited by boinger

Very cool stuff in the making.

It's not that I wanna use Windows movie Maker, I actually tried to do a fresh render yesterday cause it'd been faster and higher quality on Adobe Audition, but for some reason, it wont allow me too....and the file format is fine.

I'll find anotherway to do it, so no worries. It's the credits that are gonna be difficult to make.

• 2 weeks later...

So, since Macross World was down for the weekend, I ended up fixing up my video edits again.

I'm just encoding them now and then uploading them for this week.

I think I have the COTB movie trailer together. I hope it's okay, but it's like I get so close to video edting certain problem spots that I don't see how everything fits together. Then I wait a couple of days and watch the video again and find a whole bunch of stuff to fix that I didn't notice before. It seems to look good and sound good right now. I used the audio from COTB v1, so one of the songs has a little echo. I'll finish encoding COTB v2 and patch up that song. Then, I'll post it up on youtube in a couple of days.

1. Clash of the Bionoids v2

I really tried to retime the songs better , so that the they were not off so much and creating as much of an echo sound. A couple of Bodolza scenes now have better matching audio voice sync. I'll need a couple of weeks away from this movie before I can watch it for enjoyment without trying to listen or watch for my video edit mistakes. I hope I caught all of them this time.

2. DYRL Gubaba style

a. custom english movie title looks really good

b. zentradi scenes with japanese subtitles cropped out

c. same ending credit sequence as Clash of the Bionoids special edition

d. bodolza fortress video glitch edited out

e. song subtitles and zentradi interview hard encoded on top margin of video

f. perfect edition stero audio.

g. I uploaded new versions of subtitles DYRL Gubaba v2, winrar to iMacross4 Fan Edits folder that will work with this video

The next time I do a dyrl edit, I will try using the DYRL theatrical audio from the DYRL remastered DVD boxset I have on hand.

3. Macross Zero ep 1 english dub by Dark Heroes Entertainment v2

a. Fixed up the beginning and ending credits a bit

b. I was thinking of adding the Life Song subtitles for the end credits, but I need to finish encoding this version of the video first to overlay the song credits.

c. I patched up all the sound gaps that Hikuro mentioned except the one where VF-0s flies by, since that spot is quiet in the original ova.

Miss DJ update:

I timed the first 4 minutes of Gubaba's translation. He's up to 12 of 48 minutes of translation that I can time. I have about 100 usable Minmany pictures on hand and I can also take video clips from my animeigo sdf tv dvds.

Future Macross Fan Edits:

lynn2009 is doing Macross Generationa and Distantly Fading Memories.

Once I finish up Miss DJ, then I'll see what I can do with Distantly FM, unless someone else would like to do some video editing?

I don't know if Macross Generation can be made into a video slideshow presentation because there is almost no pictures of the main characters in that drama.

Then there's Macross: Love the abridged SDF tv series that Gubaba is looking into for me. That will likely be quickly done since most of the scenes can be pulled straight from the SDF TV series.

Gubaba is also looking at translating M7 docking festival, so I'll look at what M7 pictures I have on hand for a possible video edit.

Once I get cotb, dyrl g and m zero fixed up for this week, then I was looking at a M zero ep1 trailer and an M zero music video. That will keep me busy for a couple of weeks.

DYRL extended v5 will take me a while to do, since I plan to use Cyberlink Power Director to make a new zentradi orbit scene with some nicely done Takani zentradi ships. All the video footage will be from the remastered dvd s.

I'll post again when I actually have some new stuff uploaded to iMacross4.

• 2 weeks later...

Now available on iMacross4:

I updated the Macross Fan Edits information on the first page.

1. Clash of the Bionoids version 2

Much better audio sync than version 1.

I'm working on getting the dvd together to be posted as a bittorrent.

I'm trying to figure out how to get dvd lab pro to to turn this into a dvd with all the extras.

I've forgotten how tricky this can be.

2. DYRL Gubaba style

Something a little bit different for DYRL.

Updated subtitles for this DYRL version.

3. Macross Zero episode 1 english dub by DHE version 2

Fixed up from version one of this dub. End credits song subtitles and everybody's name in DHE spelled correctly and audio additions in 3 spots as suggested by Hikuro.

Hikuro has not been able to get his new team together for the full Macross Zero series dub. But it looks like he's focused on finishing his DHE DYRL english dub. Alright!

I'm working on a Macross Zero music video, a DVD cover, an episode 1 trailer and maybe an episode 2 preview trailer.

I have timed both Gubaba and lynn2009's partial translations of the two Macross audio dramas.

That's it for now.

Edited by boinger

Sure, I'm open to video editing suggestions: Macross related or otherwise. You can have a look at at all the Macross Fan Edit ideas I have so far on the first post of this thread. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do all of them, but I'll try to do some of them.

Www.fanedit.org is also a cool place that I lurk on to get ideas about video editing. Lots of neat movie variations over there.

Eventually, I do plan to go back to SDF MML and revise a couple of scenes and get the video quality up to the remastered dvd level.

This week, I'm just puttering around on how to make dvdlabpro make a dvd out of Clash of the Bionoids with the extra soundtracks and subtitles and extra videos. That will probably take me all week, since I'm working nights this week.

Edited by boinger

This week, I'm just puttering around on how to make dvdlabpro make a dvd out of Clash of the Bionoids with the extra soundtracks and subtitles and extra videos. That will probably take me all week, since I'm working nights this week.

Whats in your COTB? What added scenes?

Hello Agent ONE:

The only added scene in Clash of the Bionoids would be the end credit scene. Otherwise, it's the english dub of DYRL from the 1986 VHS tape realigned onto the remastered DYRL video with audio replacements using the DYRL cd music and DYRL perfect edition audio.

I also retimed the japanese audio with english subtitles and DAPDX's english commentary of DYRL for this version of DYRL.

I redid the final end credits to include all the video of the Angel's paints video from Flashback 2012 and added in english subtitles and credits. The audio editing for the movie took me a while because of the vhs tape audio matched up with the scenes about 60% and then the rest I had to move around and add in some audio.

The extra videos on the dvd would be the Song of an Angel's Paints music video and the COTB trailer I made. They're posted on youtube with weblinks on the first post.

Hikuro and his team are working on an all new English dub of DYRL. You can see his updates on his thread.

I'm not getting much done this week because of night shift work.

Edited by boinger

I need to start adding subtitles to the Zentraedi scenes, I got a subtitle program yesterday, figured out the gest of it but no clue how to render all the subs into the video afterwards....this is an uncharted territory for me as I'm use to using Windows movie maker for sub jobs but they always come up crap.

The program I'm using is Subtitleworkshop version 2.51 I believe.

A friend of mine showed me how to time out the subs, but how to render that into the video is beyond me...she didn't gimme much help in the long run.

Anyone got better recommendations on something that's quick and painless?

My preference would be to eliminate the subs on the video with a black bar and replace them with the english text over the black bars but I doubt that'll happen.

I'm glad that Hikuro was able to get the subtitles working the way he wanted. Now, he's the subtitling expert.

I found Macross M3 video game ep.1-8 of 8 flash videos on google video. So, I snagged those, but was unable to get the 8a bad ending video or any other game play videos. If only I thought to check on google video sooner. The video quality is okay, not great. Once I get this game together as a video; I would hope somebody could find the time to do a translation.

I also found some really nice game captures of vfx2 on youtube and so I sent the guy a message of encouragement in hopes that he would be able to complete the whole vfx2 game, so I can make a movie out of it. Here's hoping!

I finished up a dvd cover for DHE's Macross Zero episode one. Anbu-Aone's Mzero episode 1 is ready to be put into a dvd and the All that VF m zero video is ready. I just need to figure out how to get this M zero music video into shape and then subtitle and then the M0 ep.1 trailer.

I haven't quite gotten the COTB dvd into working order.

Edited by boinger

Macross Frontier episode 1 fan edit = yaak deculture + deculture + broadcast + episode 2 and maybe 3 is on my fan edit idea list, but I'm not sure how to do it just yet. I think I would have to watch each episode and make notes on where to cut and move around scenes. The audio changes for any cuts will need to be worked out as well.

A whole bunch of Macross fan edits have cropped up this week.

The Macross radio drama dvd: "Misa VS Minmay" will take a while to do, since

1. I'm depending on Gubaba and lynn2009 to do the translation

and

2. I've never done this before.

But, I'll slowly plug along on this because I would like to see it finished. I have Gubaba's third part of his recently translated Miss DJ to time out the subtitles. I think I have enough pictures of Minmay and Misa, but I'll have to do some video grabs of the bridge bunnies and the Zentradi trio for their pictures. Production schedule: 2-3 months, just in time for Christmas?

I"m back to working nights again, so I'm just reworking the Macross Zero dvd cover. I would like the cover to look a little more like a dvd cover. So, this time, I'll type in dvd features and cast names. I'll have to play around with the typeface, since I'm not sure which fonts to use. Then once I'm done fiddling around with this dvd cover, I'll focus on the COTB dvd.

I just happened to find Macross: M3 and SDF TV PSX2 flash videos, while looking around for Macross stuff on the internet. So, I grabbed those videos and now I'll try to figure out how to piece them together as movies!

I also found that Torii from MacrossWorld has been playing and uploading VFX2 videos to youtube, so I'll keep track of his videos for a VFX2 movie. Thank you Torii!

Edited by boinger

Here's the updated DHE Macross Zero ep. 1 dvd cover. It looks a little more like a regular dvd.

If anybody else would like to come up with dvd covers for any macross fan edits, then I would be happy to keep them on iMacross4.

Onto the next part, Macross Zero music video.

I'm also slowy figuring out how to get the Macross M3 flash videos into .avi files. I tried vdub with deblock and the video still looked just as blocky as ConvertXtodvd or AlltoAvi. I'm trying out EnhanceMovie software now.

Edited by boinger

• 3 weeks later...

Not much happening for macross fan editing this week.

M3 notes:

I pieced together the M3 videos,t intro and 1-8, and found it to be 2 hours and 38 minutes!

It could use a little editing due to the cut-scenes flipping back and forth in a letterboxed aspect ratio. \

I was also thinking about how to snip out the the parts of the video game to make it look a little less like a video game and more like an ova movie.

1. take out the music video beginning and just keep it as a music trailer

2. take out the game screens as much as possible

3. take out the ending points screen

4. every separate part from 1 to 8 is actually a 2-4 year time gap. Some transitional scenes would be nice to bridge that time gap between parts. I have two M3 free-play videos that have poor quality video, but the audio could be salvaged, if I only understood Japanese.

5. M3 movie title

6. end credits

Maybe, an M3 ova would be better as 7 mini episodes of 10-15 minutes, like a serial?

COTB notes:

dvd menu is plodding along mostly because I was sidetracked by working night shifts and also putting together a comic collection for bittorrent.

1. I need to write out a dvd menu screen for describing this project and emphasizing the fan edit nature of this dvd

2. Once that's done I need to burn the dvd to test out that it actually works on a dvd player and regular TV.

3. Then I will post it up on mininova.org

M zero music video notes:

I shifted around video clips so much, I'm not sure how to make it come together.

I noticed this week that I had accumulated 1500 Macross pictures over the last 5 months. I need to sort out the pictures to the Macross Picture Collection just so I can find the pictures that I need for any future Macross projects. I also have a bunch of Macross files being uploaded to iMacross4 this week.

Every day, I'll do something related to Macross!

• 2 weeks later...

Super Space Fortress Macross: Clash of the Bionoids DVD now available as bittorrent!

7.44 gb

.ISO format

You can use Imgburn software to get the .iso to a dual layer dvd

or

use DVDShrink with Dvddecrypter to shrink the 7.44 gb movie to 4.5 gb standard dvd movie size.

I also updated the COTB DVD cover to correct a spelling mistake and revise the special features list.

Don't worry about the the size of the download, I'm seeding this one for at least a couple of months.

Slight problem with this DVD is that you need to use your dvd remote control to get the subtitles or audio selected to access the extra subtitles and audio tracks.

Today, I fiddled around with the dvd menu some more. and found the "resume movie" button had to be added into the dvd menu to get the movie to automatically choose the selected audio and subtitle files when starting the movie. Otherwise, the posted DVD on mininova works fine.

Edited by boinger

One audio problem found on the SSFM COTB dvd:

I listened to the DAPDX commentary audio all the way through the dvd and the last 4 minutes of the commentary are silent!

Somehow after editing and encoding the audio commentary track with Womble mpeg video editor, the angel's paints scene didn't encode. To top it off it looks like I deleted the edited DAPDX audio file I was working with completely from my computer without backing it up somewhere. :angry:

The original Japanese audio and COTB english movie audio work just fine and all the special features play just fine. So, I think I found all the possible mistakes I made for this dvd. You can still watch the movie with the subtitles and all audio tracks via the dvd remote control. So, if Hikuro gets stumped with making his DYRL english dub dvd, I've made a few mistakes already that he can learn from.

It's the DAPDX commentary that I would have to fix up or not for any future version of the COTB dvd 2.0. The last 1/2 hour of the commentary has a lot audio hiss and heartbeats that I couldn't figure how to filter out with Audacity audio software and the last 4 minutes are the worst for audio quality. So, I'm not sure if it's a big loss. But, I was upset any way. You can download the original DAPDX dyrl commentary audio file under iMacross4 Audio Drama folder or from DAPDX website and listen for yourself.

I was reading on faneditforum.com about a useful audio software called Soundsoap by Bias that does a terrific job of filtering out audio problems and separating out speech from music. That would come in really handy for for filtering out the DAPDX dyrl audio problems as well as rebuilding english Macross plus episode 4 soundtrack. A little expensive at $129 US, so it would cut into my macross toy budget, but I think a necessary video editing purchase.

So, I've uploaded 17% of the COTB dvd .iso file so far. I could buy soundsoap, fix up the DAPDX commentary, fix up the dvd menu to include "resume movie" and post up to iMacross4 as 77 one hundred megabyte files for the dvd .iso.

I think uploading the dvd .iso to iMacross4 will take 1-2 weeks. Or repost the SSF COTB 2.0 on mininova.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Edited by boinger

Hi. Thanks for your work.

BUT some serious technical flaws i see in this iso (in preview attempt).

1) Ultraiso can't see contents of this (may be first chink not loaded, but utorrent show full first 15% of file), i recommend ImgBurn for iso creation.

2) IMHO Removing grain are BAD idea, it was not so strong, now i see blurred picture and why first part of iso have nothing? DGindex show video only more then after 20% of iso scan.

3) Why LPCM for audio? Better keep video mostly intact and get room for extra audio tracks by compressing original LPCM to ac3.

4) I have bad experience with editing dvdmpeg2 in Womble, it have a lot of bugs.

For best results use professional progs, Vegas Pro 8 or Adobe premiere with Mainconcept mpeg plugin (but also have bugs), Edus (not tried yet).

It are wareZ, but it works.

Edited by S-47 Berkut

1. I did use Imgburn to make the .iso

2. I have no idea how S-47 Berkut is able to extract any usable images from 17% of COTB .iso downloaded from the current bittorrent. Blurry images? Which ones? Any suggestions? I used tmpeg encoder with womble video editor and then dvdlabpro2 for dvd creation. CCE encoder?

3. Two wave/lpcm audio tracks and one .mpa audio track were plugged into this dvd with dvdlabpro2 because that is what audio files came out of tmpeg encoder (and one from Womble), which were accepted by dvdlabpro2 dvd creator. I did not know that I had the option to convert lpcm/wave audio to .ac3 without audio corruption. I was just happy I was able to get the dvd to work for the most part.

4. I have windows Vista 64 bit and found I was unable to use adobe premiere, vegas video or Edius for any audio or video editing. These softwares were terribly unstable on my computer and wouldn't accept most of my video files for editing. So, I ended up going with Womble and Cyberlink PowerDirector.

You can see the final version Clash of the Bionoids v. 2.0 video xvid/avi that I worked with in the iMacross4 Macross Fan Edits folder.

I think I read on faneditforum.com that Vegas Video was made stable for 64 bit computers this week, so that software might be an option in a month or so. I would have used professional video editing software, if the software didn't crash so much on my computer and would recognize a variety of video and audio file types.

So, if I could fix up the COTB video blurriness, the dvd menu "resume movie" button and filter DAPDX audio commentary, then this COTB would be acceptable?

If somebody would like to improve or remake any video edits that I have done or come up with Macross Fan Edits of their own, then go right ahead and I'll post them up through iMacross4 or mininova. I wish more people were keen on video editng, since I'm just learning this video editing stuff as I go along.

1. Strange, may be imgburn can't find suitable layer break point to get 50/50 layers fill.

2. DGindex is very resistant to mpeg errors, if iso have somewhere mpeg2 - it will show it. About blurry, I think source of problem is upsizing to compensate black bars.

May be it worth to try blowup image factor 2 by VideoEnhancer http://www.thedeemon.com/VideoEnhancer/ or by something of latest avisynth edgeaware filters, crop and then resize back to SD.

Something wrong happens to gamma, just compare same frames.

3. How about scenarist and MaestroSBT for sub creation? I work with it and found that it have clean and logical workflow. Except that you need directly program dvd commands. Damn, forgot that dongle emul not work on vista.

4. Premere CS4 claims to be compatible with vista64, but who knows. I got BSOD on CS3 with W2K3 server, 4Gb ECC ram

Hardcoded subs = Evil. How about not crop zentrady translation, but frame by frame repaint it in ulead videographics LAb, i can do it, but it time consuming.

post-1040-1225001298_thumb.png

post-1040-1225001322_thumb.png