1/48 VE-1 (Yamato)

Firefox

Since Yamato says no to 1/48 VE-1/VT-1 I decided to use my VF-1A as the test bed. Progress is slow as I am dead busy with my daily job. I hope to make it with perfect transformation (i.e. The shield is not removeable). But at this stage it's still too early to promise anything as this is my first true customization project and my skill is limited.

post-731-1201425747_thumb.jpg

post-731-1201425757_thumb.jpg

Edited by Firefox

I bet you could find someone to do it here or at Starship Modeler! Looks great and I think a loss to Yamato! They could have done the VT and VE versions with the cockpit molds. They're all about milkin' the molds for all they're worth (don't blame 'em). - MT

Awesome, this is something I am really looking forward to having progress pics.

I'm with this gent on this one. Good luck to you Firefox. I am sure pleased to see someone finally try this. I can't wait to see your progress.

:ph34r:

This is a great start on an overlooked and sorely missed subject!

I'll be excited to watch your progress on this.

If (when) you are successful, it will be required that we find some way to get this produced for the lowly masses who have been crying out for 1/48 two-seater goodness!!!!! :wacko::lol:

made a second pilot. the pilot is still in the very basic form. I hope I have the skill to make it better. I am not using vacuum forming for the canopy; just heated the transparent plastic sheet and push the mold over. Very primitive but still do the job.

post-731-1201779909_thumb.jpg

Edited by Firefox

• 2 weeks later...
I made the shield but could not fit in the chest in jet mode. Need another solution to it or I have to re-do the chest plate area. Argh! Once I fix this problem, I'll take some pics

Sounds like you've got a lot of work to do. Just don't stop.

It's taken me a really long time to finally make the VF-1D work perfectly. Hopefully you can finish just in time for this year's Con.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the slow progress. work life is getting tougher. I finally fixed the chest area by re-doing that transparent part. Now the shield can be stored nicely in jet mode. There are still some way to go for the shield. At least one of the major hurdles to perfect transformation is overcome. One can say it is a truely 1/48 twin tandem seats Valkyrie now, I hope. ^_^

post-731-1204197008_thumb.jpg

post-731-1204197016_thumb.jpg

Edited by Firefox

Sorry about the slow progress. work life is getting tougher. I finally fixed the chest area by re-doing that transparent part. Now the shield can be stored nicely in jet mode. There are still some way to go for the shield. At least one of the major hurdles to perfect transformation is overcome. One can say it is a truely 1/48 twin tandem seats Valkyrie now, I hope. ^_^

Looking good, but I hate to have to say this....the cockpit looks very short.

Also, the hump on the chest is too long.

Edited by nightmareB4macross

Looking good, but I hate to have to say this....the cockpit looks very short.

Also, the hump on the chest is too long.

You're right. Basically I just raised the cockpit, modified the internal to fit in two seats, thus it resulted the long hump on the chest area. The reason being that the shield needs that length (the long hump) to completely tucked away in jet mode. I just had another idea for the shield but it comes late for this project. If I could get a hand on another VF-1 (when my pocket allows), I hope to try out a perfect transformed VF-1D with full length cockpit and yet the the shield tucked away neatly in jet mode. But that is another time far away...

You're right. Basically I just raised the cockpit, modified the internal to fit in two seats, thus it resulted the long hump on the chest area. The reason being that the shield needs that length (the long hump) to completely tucked away in jet mode. I just had another idea for the shield but it comes late for this project. If I could get a hand on another VF-1 (when my pocket allows), I hope to try out a perfect transformed VF-1D with full length cockpit and yet the the shield tucked away neatly in jet mode. But that is another time far away...

You could still salvage what you've done and extend the cockpit back then reduce the length of the chest hump.

I'd love to see what you come up with on the VF-1D. Would you consider doing just the chest, cockpit, head, canopy, and heatshield? Or are you going to go all out with the removable escape capsule, sliding heatshield, sliding seats, yadda, yadda, yadda....? I've got one done already just waiting to get some time available to recast this as a kit (and finish my last orders).

Looking great, keep on going.

• 2 weeks later...
some progress... basically the chest area and the shield are done. need to focus on the head, the canopy and the second pilot...

Looking good, but the dimensions are really not to par with the lineart.

Does the heatshield bind when sliding during transition from fighter to gerwalk to battroid?

***Gander over to my avatar, the valkyrie in the middle is the platform for the VE-1 and VT-1. All the mechanical components are completed except for the heads which I am currently working on. ;)

Edited by nightmareB4macross

Looking good, but the dimensions are really not to par with the lineart.

Does the heatshield bind when sliding during transition from fighter to gerwalk to battroid?

***Gander over to my avatar, the valkyrie in the middle is the platform for the VE-1 and VT-1. All the mechanical components are completed except for the heads which I am currently working on. ;)

Yes the heatshield will bind when sliding. The design is not perfect I must say. I'm still sanding the end part of the hump to match the lineart as close as possible. By the way, I'm using the Hasegawa 1/72 VE-1/VT-1 as a guideline.

I just noticed that you once sold parts for custmization. Unfortunately, you don't. Congrat of being a father. If you re-open part selling, let me know, I need two white 1/48 pilots. Thanks!

Yes the heatshield will bind when sliding. The design is not perfect I must say. I'm still sanding the end part of the hump to match the lineart as close as possible. By the way, I'm using the Hasegawa 1/72 VE-1/VT-1 as a guideline.

I just noticed that you once sold parts for custmization. Unfortunately, you don't. Congrat of being a father. If you re-open part selling, let me know, I need two white 1/48 pilots. Thanks!

There's another member here that will soon make themselves present in the 1/48 Parts Market. I am not at liberty to say who. But if they see this topic they will shout out I am sure. They're a great asset to the MW community.

:ph34r:

Why do they have to be white? That's so racist!

haha... j/k. Lemme see if i have some recasts and I'll send them to you. DYRL of course.... right? Just double checking your preference.

Using Hasegawa as a guide is not the best way to interperet the VE-1. There are so many thing wrong with it I wouldn't know whre to being. Go off the line-art and work your way through it. You'll be much better off and you'll be glad for it too.

Contact SILVERDRAGON...he'll be taking over my position (as parts-supplier) very soon.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...