Macross DYRL: Proper English Fandub

Hikuro

Well, it's no big deal, just constructive criticism. Also, I didn't mean watch it. I meant watch the Low Quality video. Any idiot can see the bad syncing. And yes, I am naming myself as said idiot.

I did note some synching issues myself after the crash into the engine compartment. Minmay was off slightly, but that may be because it's the low quality encode, and I think Hik had to rearrange his sound track to follow the clipped video. It's off by one or two flaps, though, which I've learned is acceptable in a fandub :)

I admit that Fokker's voice did surprise me at first, but I just figured that's what this version of him is about. He is rather gruff in his on-screen action.

As for the loud voices and the ones that need to speak up, a leveller would solve that problem. Hit me up on AIM before you do the final high quality, Hik, I'll toss a little program over that calculates the averages of your voice track and adjusts to the specific volume you require.

I'm also not a fan for the high-pitched helmets, but you know at the end of the day it's what HIK wants so I don't dispute it. Also youre gonna expect some volume issues since your recieving audio files from a number of sources and not one recording studio (I recorded mine from a cheap & nasty internet mic all the way from the UK).

You know, Gruff Fokker took a little getting used to but I knew what I was expecting via Hik's Macross Zero dub. I think it actually suits him here since its a hardcore Roy for a hardcore animation (Especially his death scene).

OK technical issues aside, we have to remember the project is STILL A WORK IN PROGRESS. If I know Hik he'll be tinkering away at the project untill he's satisfied with it for the HiQ (Nice TF reference there!).

Anyway, that's my two cents. :)

Yeah, yeah, that's what I'm talking about, Cypher. It was then on in the LQ. It'll probably be rectified in the HQ, but I'm just pointing it out.

The Helmets are too exaggerated. Like I said, hit up Roosterteeth to see what they used.

In my experience, Roy's a drunken older brother. He's wise in his own way, and outwardly not torn up by war. His voice doesn't show the effects of a life of war, rather a life of piloting. The scratchy Roy in this makes me think of the former.

All that said, it is Hikuro's production. Not mine. He does what he does, and I gotta accept it.

That's my nickel. Beat that, Time Lord! :p

Awesome, great you VA's came in to talk some with us! Can't wait to see the finished product, i'm not going to spoil the

suprise until it's all done and ready. Good luck Hikuro!

Always a pleasure to break the "snob and silent" stereotype :)

Roosterteeth from what I've heard is pretty much just Phone reciever/voice mail effect. And that's what I've used for the radio communications.

And my helmet effect wouldn't even pass for a storm trooper helmet effect, again, phone reciever/voice mail.

There might be a tweak here and there for it but that's pretty much what it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jhiOYEQEk4 Here, 2 lines, delivered 3 different ways using vocal editing. I toned down Lionel's voice so it isn't so loud.

Version 1) Phone Reciever pretty much what you hear from Red VS Blue, 2) Old Fashioned Radio with a slight tweak by me which is what's currently in the film and will probably stay per my choice, and 3) Voice Mail which is what I use for my Radio Communications.

If by doing that, I'll have to go back into all the lines, sort out the takes and redo the vocal track....this'll take about a month or two to completely redo the vocal track. I'll have to redo the actual comlink with something else like the first choice, and sift through about 300 or so lines and put in the new variation.

If by doing that, I'll have to go back into all the lines, sort out the takes and redo the vocal track....this'll take about a month or two to completely redo the vocal track. I'll have to redo the actual comlink with something else like the first choice, and sift through about 300 or so lines and put in the new variation.

Yeah, that's not really worth it. I prefer voicemail to the old radio, but I'll live with whatever you actually use, because, it's not like I'm paying you to do my bidding or anything. That said, I'm surprised that you can't just remove the effect from a clip and replace it with the new effect simply. I guess it's cuz I have limited audio mixing experience, within Avid where we usually just leave the effects on the clip, and can remove them at will. When I've done stuff in Sonar, it's more destructive, actually rebuilding the clip audio. I prefer non-destructive editing. I'm not sure how protools works, but I assume it's non-destructive, like Avid or AfterEffects or something. So, when the tooth fairy leaves you a copy of ProTools LE with an MBox, then, maybe you can make everybody happy.

Frakkin' tooth fairy.

Then are over over 300 lines pieces of lines that have that sound effect in the movie. If you don't like it, don't watch it then. I'm not changing it this late in the game. Maybe I'll make it different in the other movies I'll be working on, but not this one.

No, I didn't. I used it cause to me it worked for what I was looking for, nothing more, nothing less. And in my opinion, it still works. Maybe I'll use the other styles for future productions of OTHER animes, but I'm not going back on several months worth of work and redoing it all, piece by piece again. There have been clips involving the helmet effects and what not for sometime now, and no ones really said a thing.

As I said, don't like it, don't watch it, I'm not forcing you, or others to watch it, and there's more to the dub than "EAR BLEEDING EFFECTS AND BAD VOICES!" I've heard more comments on how good the movie is turning out, and how people are thankful for being either apart of it or being able to watch it.

Edited by Hikuro

*nods* I'd say that settles the issue :)

The effect is meant to be an in-cockpit sound thing... talk into a fishbowl, people on the outside do sorta hear a warped sound like that. I'd just call it "spaced up" and leave it at that.

Voice effects are tricky, after all, especially when you're trying to go for something that's not been used before. I should know :)

Well, I like it... And my biggest problems were with the LQ sample... I just pick on the little things... And I mean, it does get annoying. If there were fewer lines with that effect, it woulda slipped right past. Moving on...

Also, Cypher, those helmets are not at all fishbowly... The visor is, but... The mic's right there in front of your mouth, mounted where the respirator should be...

Also, I've heard this effect elsewhere, heard other effects for this genre (and in fact this anime) of dub, and in my experience, this is something used before. It's a common sound effect.

Well, I like it... And my biggest problems were with the LQ sample... I just pick on the little things... And I mean, it does get annoying. If there were fewer lines with that effect, it woulda slipped right past. Moving on...

Also, Cypher, those helmets are not at all fishbowly... The visor is, but... The mic's right there in front of your mouth, mounted where the respirator should be...

Also, I've heard this effect elsewhere, heard other effects for this genre (and in fact this anime) of dub, and in my experience, this is something used before. It's a common sound effect.

The mic may be there, but does the helmet have an exterior speaker? If it does, I can agree that it would sound like a voice mail effect, but if it doesn't... back to talking in an enclosed bubble of glass (which is all I meant by fishbowl).

I'm not really gonna let that drop considering how much you've insisted the whole thing makes the entire production save three female voice actresses suck :)

I think it's pretty good! I just pick on the little things so much, people think I think it's not!

And even without the speaker, the cabin isn't pressurized, so it's a soundless vaccuum in the cockpit. I always insist when a pilot is speaking, you're hearing his radio transmission. Even in real life, it's true.

And even without the speaker, the cabin isn't pressurized, so it's a soundless vaccuum in the cockpit. I always insist when a pilot is speaking, you're hearing his radio transmission. Even in real life, it's true.

Surely it's pressurized every now and then, there's a nice scene where the helmet's window is all gone :)

Surely it's pressurized every now and then, there's a nice scene where the helmet's window is all gone :)

I've only seen that in Frontier. When Isamu's is like that, he's at low altitude, so none of that happens. If you're talking about DYRL? (which I have never seen before), it was just a movie... VF-1s, like all fighters before them, are unpressurized. The VF-19 on, apparently, aren't. So...

And I'm not saying I coulda done better, I'm saying Hik could've done better.

I've only seen that in Frontier. When Isamu's is like that, he's at low altitude, so none of that happens. If you're talking about DYRL? (which I have never seen before), it was just a movie... VF-1s, like all fighters before them, are unpressurized. The VF-19 on, apparently, aren't. So...

And I'm not saying I coulda done better, I'm saying Hik could've done better.

*shrugs* Considering it's the movie itself, I believe that what it shows on screen is the only reference it needs. Minmay and Hikaru look like they're in a pressurized cockpit when they're cruising around the rings of saturn.

It being "just a movie" doesn't really apply. The fact is, it's shown onscreen, that does make it canon for this dub, and I believe that since it is meant to be stand alone, any other outside references should be disreguarded.

As for Hik's skills, frankly, he's at least on par with me, if not better. I can guarantee you that doing better is something that would have been very hard, this is definitely one of the most solid fandubs I've seen in years, considering the length of it and all.

Well in either case, changes have been made that took me a bit of time, and Cristina has done her lines, I just asked her to finish one lil thing and she'll be 100% complete.

A few things left to do to finalize it, and it's done. I still got the ending credits to finalize too phew....just when yout hink it's over it's really not.

I probably will need your help cypher, the original idea I had for the ending credits wasn't going to work out.

It's not easy doing anything with video....espically if the only video editing program you got is WMM, I tried Adobe Premiere and it was just a pain in the ass and ate up alot of virtual space on my PC.

Yeah but you can't edit video in Adobe Audition, the plan was to use the intro to Flashback which is the same angel paint that was from the end credits of DYRL, put in the english credits over the intro there to replace the old credits. But since you can't edit video on audition, just a waste of time sadly.