Macross DYRL: Proper English Fandub

Hikuro

I keep playing with this idea, but I really want to redo the audio for DYRL.....the more I watch this the more it's not to my liking. And I mean everything cept 80% of the voice over track and 100% of the music. I just wanna redo the sfx's REALLY badly.

DYRL: Special Edition?

Hikuro, if you decide to make a Special edition with enhanced SFX that would be awesome. Crazy question as I have no idea how to do sound editing or anything like this but is it possible to use most of the original effects from DYRL itself or does that become a legal complication or just personal taste? B))

The problem behind that is that I'm working off the DVD/Bluray of the film and it's audio, there's no real way for me to create a seperate track that's pure music and audio without the voice overs. AnimEigo though did the best thing for a person like me and that was to include a feature to do that in the DVDs. Which is why if you go onto my Hikuro2pnt0 account on youtube you can hear flawless original audio in the clips.

What I have to do to make it as Macross-esque as possible is to go through each dvd of the TV series and use that feature then find anything with zero music sequence and try my best to rip it. It's not easy at all, very time consuming.

Another thing I've been able to do has been taking some of the PS1 and PS2 video games, and find the audio files of those and rip them into WAV format. I've successfully ripped audio from VFX-2, Plus, DYRL PS1, and Macross PS2 and let me tell you, it's I think over 1,000 files and they're broken up. Some of them require to be reassembled into a full sound effect, but they're useable.

I might still have a seperate music score, that's just about perfect except maybe 1 or 2 tracks which can be easily found. I made sure to carefully time my music score to almost be identical to that of the original film.

Something else to consider is that I want to get back on track with Zero and Plus. If anything Plus has amazing potential for a movie version and I think would be a phenomenal achievement. But the voice crew just fell into the cracks along with my PC crashing.

lol dunno if anyone saw a comment posted on part 1 of DYRL, "You replaced the original sound with your crap voice over." I love those kind of comments for a good laugh cause they got no clue what it takes, but still, gotta erase crap like that....even when they only watch 1 part and only did it for maybe 2 minutes of viewing.

lol dunno if anyone saw a comment posted on part 1 of DYRL, "You replaced the original sound with your crap voice over." I love those kind of comments for a good laugh cause they got no clue what it takes, but still, gotta erase crap like that....even when they only watch 1 part and only did it for maybe 2 minutes of viewing.

There's no real point in paying attention to people like that. It's not even constructive, so their opinion is worth absolutely zero. As far as redoing DYRL, if you do, are you going to make a DVD version of it?

Also, if you need any voices, when you put out the need, put em up here. I've got more time on my hands as well.

That's AWESOME. That's what a dub, is, internet genius, replacing the original sound. The quality of the voiceover is up to debate. I happen to think your voice cast for DYRL was mostly awesome. Best dub that film ever had. You already know that.

Can you tweak it and make it better? Sure. We can always clean up our work, especially after we're wiser and more skilled. To me, the biggest issue in your DYRL is that some of the volumes aren't quite perfectly matched. And some of the VA's had mics with differing qualities of audio. Can't do anything about the latter, but you could definitely remix it. I think that as you get better software and better gear, you'll find you'll be able to make more nuanced mixes, as the hardware will react better.

That's AWESOME. That's what a dub, is, internet genius, replacing the original sound. The quality of the voiceover is up to debate. I happen to think your voice cast for DYRL was mostly awesome. Best dub that film ever had. You already know that.

Can you tweak it and make it better? Sure. We can always clean up our work, especially after we're wiser and more skilled. To me, the biggest issue in your DYRL is that some of the volumes aren't quite perfectly matched. And some of the VA's had mics with differing qualities of audio. Can't do anything about the latter, but you could definitely remix it. I think that as you get better software and better gear, you'll find you'll be able to make more nuanced mixes, as the hardware will react better.

Totally agreed. I upgraded my computer mic from one of those headset mics, to a pretty high-end standard mic. It makes all the difference in the world. Not to mention the fact that when our band has played, the fidelity of it, stands out more so, than the inexpensive Radio Shack type ones.

As for the mixing software, I'm not too sure what is good these days, especially for Voice Over work, but during recording of my previous bands, we used Q bass, and Liquid Audio. Those were what the studios used that we would record in.

Hikuro, I don't know if you absolutely need Photoshop CS5, but I can get you CS2 with registration. If you can use it, let me know.

Totally agreed. I upgraded my computer mic from one of those headset mics, to a pretty high-end standard mic. It makes all the difference in the world. Not to mention the fact that when our band has played, the fidelity of it, stands out more so, than the inexpensive Radio Shack type ones.

As for the mixing software, I'm not too sure what is good these days, especially for Voice Over work, but during recording of my previous bands, we used Q bass, and Liquid Audio. Those were what the studios used that we would record in.

Hikuro, I don't know if you absolutely need Photoshop CS5, but I can get you CS2 with registration. If you can use it, let me know.

As long as it's usable I'll take it. Dunno much about CS2 though, but if I can do awesome work with it I'm hip on it.

As long as it's usable I'll take it. Dunno much about CS2 though, but if I can do awesome work with it I'm hip on it.

I had CS2 for a while. I think when we started Aria, I was still using the CS2 products. Premiere Pro and Audition are part of the CS2 suite, so that will be an improvement over Vegas, to be sure.

Audition isn't really used in professional studios, but it COULD be. Sorta like Premiere. At this point (CS5) Premiere is a serious contender with FCP, particularly with the AfterEffects and sound stuff integration, but nobody uses it, because it sorta got burned by being wack in the past. As far as editing goes, people usually use either FCP and Logic for audio, or they use Avid and Protools for audio. Professionally, at least.

Due to the amount of post production work, I was heavily considering using Premiere to edit Aria, since we could easily bounce between Audition, Soundbooth, AfterEffects and Premiere. But I'd rather use Avid. Whatevs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bandai got into a fight with me early April, and I lost. All the Macross items on DHE were taken down so I just shut down the account. I'm pretty bummed out but I think I known of a way to bypass all of this so tell me what some of you guys think of this idea.

It's a big project and it'll take time...but I'm gonna see if I can create small clips or possibly trailers for these dubs, and hopefully they'll contain link information to go to another stream location for the entire video or a place on downloading it.

However, I want to add in water marks to these videos so people don't go stealing them like last time...so Jasonc now has my address and hopefully I'll get the software I need to put in those files.

Because of my promotion, I've had very little time to sit down and start working on any projects, you could even say I've been intimidated a bit because bandai keeps taking down the videos on youtube.

I'm also trying to save up some money so I can purchase a new more powerful computer, and got one in mind...it's a grand for JUST the desktop, no monitor or anything, just the basics. But by god at 8gigs of ram with max of 16, and 1.5TB HDD and Bluray/DVD Combo with the ability to burn my own bluray discs I gotta have it.

Totally. Take the serious computer plunge. Using suped up gear makes all the difference. This past fall I finally upgraded from 4gb ram to 8gb. I moved to a 64 bit OS and upgraded all my productivity software. It's great. Although I'm still getting crashes here and there. Far fewer though.

Totally. Take the serious computer plunge. Using suped up gear makes all the difference. This past fall I finally upgraded from 4gb ram to 8gb. I moved to a 64 bit OS and upgraded all my productivity software. It's great. Although I'm still getting crashes here and there. Far fewer though.

Bandai got into a fight with me early April, and I lost. All the Macross items on DHE were taken down so I just shut down the account. I'm pretty bummed out but I think I known of a way to bypass all of this so tell me what some of you guys think of this idea.

It's a big project and it'll take time...but I'm gonna see if I can create small clips or possibly trailers for these dubs, and hopefully they'll contain link information to go to another stream location for the entire video or a place on downloading it.

However, I want to add in water marks to these videos so people don't go stealing them like last time...so Jasonc now has my address and hopefully I'll get the software I need to put in those files.

Because of my promotion, I've had very little time to sit down and start working on any projects, you could even say I've been intimidated a bit because bandai keeps taking down the videos on youtube.

I'm also trying to save up some money so I can purchase a new more powerful computer, and got one in mind...it's a grand for JUST the desktop, no monitor or anything, just the basics. But by god at 8gigs of ram with max of 16, and 1.5TB HDD and Bluray/DVD Combo with the ability to burn my own bluray discs I gotta have it.

That's a real bummer, but whatever you an do to get it to work, that'd be cool. I'm shipping the software to you today, so you'll have it by end of the week (fingers crossed).

When it comes to computers, you pay for power, and I'm happy with my new laptop. It's got the ability for a BD burner, 8 gig Ram, Tru HD, and is just a monster. Cost me $1800, and has the computing power to go with all that dough. Invest well, my friend. Hope to see this project come to fruition.

The laptop and the extra 750protable HDD has been great to have around. and I've cleaned my work station so I can just connect my speakers to this puppy to get better sound quality. I'm also thinking of maybe connecting my laptop up to the big screen and my new home theater system that's coming in next week and do some mixing there. At least it'll help in keeping my levels balanced. That should be pretty sweet right?

With any luck in the summer time or shortly there after I'll have a more powerful PC and start doing some blu ray. I'm sure fans would love to see a Blu-ray cut of my work when it's perfected.

Right now I'm going through my DVD-R's where the master files were stored, sending them to the HDD for safe keeping. Then I'm going to go through some of these files, create a trailer or two of some of these productions then send them out to other stream sites for downloading.

Oh man. That's wack.

As a filmmaker, I'm not as anti copyright as people might expect, though I do believe the old modality of intellectual property needs an extreme makeover. But what I do think is stupid, is Bandai pulling down a one minute thirty second video. In no way is posting that content hurting their sales. If they were selling a one minute and thirty second video and you posted the entirety of that, then that would be one thing. Except that the audio is your remix. Sort of a collage art. It's mashup, although I don't think you could get away with that argument in court, since the point of a fan-dub is to stay true to the original intent, rather than to alter it. Still, it's just general dickishness that pulls clips down from youtube. Entire episodes I understand (though don't necessarily agree with), but a clip is just stupid.

Heck, seeing cool clips online HELPS generate buzz and potential sales.

Interestingly, a few years ago, BAEN Books decided on a radically different strategy to counter pirating. They decided to release some of their stuff, really whatever they felt like, for free, digitally. They made the excellent point that people have been LENDING each other stuff for years. Libraries lend out media. I think it's a little different with books, because they are better consumed (so far) in paper form, so people will still want to buy and read books (or get them from the library) and they have a duration, a shelf-life. Whereas TV series, well, maybe 10 out of a 100 are the kinda thing that people will look back on and want to see again and again. The rest, if they're lucky, will get some netflix views. Still, I think that Bandai could learn a thing or two. Beating up on its fan-base is a straight bully move, and letting Hik leave that clip on his site doesn't cost them anything in future sales, and potentially GAINS them fans. It's just a blind policy bust.

Yaaaaaaaa.......I'm gonna look up other clips and see how they got their crap tagged and go from there. Goodness is I got an encode of DYRL that works from the HD raw I ued last time. I'm gonna start going over it this weekend and work on the new audio track.

If anyone wants to help out with the minor roles of Voice overs (You gotta have a good mic and wanna act like you wanna be a zentraedi) then lemme know. I'm strongly encouraging the lady types as well...need those. Will also get a new Claudia VA if I get the chance (got someone in mind) but this'll mainly be for extras. I hope to have enough so that every extra in the film is a different voice over.

I've even gone through my SFX files for all Macross items and started organizing them. Soon I'll have them divided by groups, Explosions, Impacts, Valkyrie, Zentraedi, Gunshots, Missiles, mechanical etc.

But first, it's the audio, then I'll start assembling the new voice track with better quality to it.

There are other video sharing sites out there besides youtube.

Indeed, but youtube gets the hits. However I did manage to successfully plug the first 2 episodes of Frontier onto Veoh...catch though is you might have to download the web player in order to watch the 31.5 minutes of Frontier goodness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQXbeE5_RXk

Which thankfully in the last 2 hours, Bandai has not killed this! And I don't think they really could do that either. I might of won this battle.

I've begun the undertaking of the new DYRL audio...I'm about 47 minutes into the first set of audio which is just the background sounds which do help put in the mood (sure I've said that before!). I've got another set of that to do and I should be good on that level of audio. I'm using a little bit of a new and old of Macross effects. A mass majority of it comes from the PS2 game which has a high level of quality version the PS1 sounds. I'm using 2 layers of valkyrie cockpit sounds...one is the classic the other is the new variation which will help drown out any imperfections of the audio capture from the classic version, after all a lot of this stuff is looped and not looped to well.

Areas I wasn't too happy with over all have already gotten an updated variation which sounds great so far. Once I hit the half way mark I'm gonna call it quits for the time being and start fresh after a long ass break. I might even dabble a bit for audio samples and I'll show them off to you guys when available.

I had almost an hour and a half done of the background levels, that's 3/4ths of the films length right there if you tack on the credit timing.

The rest of the films backgrounds are gonna get more complicated because so much goes on during the big battle in the end, still gonna be fun to play that one out. Once I finish that set there's another set (Cause I can only do 1 audio layer at a time)that'll finish the background levels and I can move onto the hard core sound effects. Which I wanna try to keep it organized but how do i wanna do that? One layer dedicated to explosions, another to Valkyries, another to Zentraedi and then City scape? That doesn't sound to bad!

I had almost an hour and a half done of the background levels, that's 3/4ths of the films length right there if you tack on the credit timing.

The rest of the films backgrounds are gonna get more complicated because so much goes on during the big battle in the end, still gonna be fun to play that one out. Once I finish that set there's another set (Cause I can only do 1 audio layer at a time)that'll finish the background levels and I can move onto the hard core sound effects. Which I wanna try to keep it organized but how do i wanna do that? One layer dedicated to explosions, another to Valkyries, another to Zentraedi and then City scape? That doesn't sound to bad!

That's great Hikuro, nice to hear that you're still working on it. BTW, I'll chip in. Got a good mic, vocal screen, and all that. Send me what you got. Oh, and let me know that you got that CD.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks jason got it.

My buddy Chris (Who was max in this dub) brought up that Robotechpodcaster guy to my attention who has taken the audio of the film into his podcasts and has also posted the Boinger Fan Edit edition on his youtube page. While it's hits have been low he never asked for my or Boinger's permission to post the film. So I sent him a polite email pretty much telling him he needs to take it down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiZ6OJMOUoI&feature=channel_video_title

he's been notified to have a week to take it down before I post up violation clauses on youtube for it. I don't like being a dick, but I also don't like it when my stuff is stolen, not given credit and others giving kudos over that. It irritates me.

What bothers me is that the subtitles are not timed properly for the zentradi dialogue

and the beginning Macross Fan Edit logo still has the wrong aspect ratio.

The video looks to be from the dhe dyrl mkv I posted on imacross4 a while ago.

I was hoping that someone would look at what I did for a fan edit and make their own

attempt.

My buddy Chris (Who was max in this dub) brought up that Robotechpodcaster guy to my attention who has taken the audio of the film into his podcasts and has also posted the Boinger Fan Edit edition on his youtube page. While it's hits have been low he never asked for my or Boinger's permission to post the film. So I sent him a polite email pretty much telling him he needs to take it down.

he's been notified to have a week to take it down before I post up violation clauses on youtube for it. I don't like being a dick, but I also don't like it when my stuff is stolen, not given credit and others giving kudos over that. It irritates me.

Just an FYI, if your fan dub is derived from or resembles the original Japanese script, then it's an infringement of Big West's copyright and you cannot legally claim that it belongs to you. If legal action were taken against that podcaster, he would be forced to take down the infringing podcasts and you would be forced to stop producing dubs from copyrighted scripts. You can always politely ask him to stop distributing your dub, but if he chooses to ignore you, the best thing to do would be to walk away.

The same thing goes for boinger's edits.

Which is why i've asked nicely for him to take it down. If he apologizes and gives proper credit where it's due, I might let him keep it up. I have no intention of bringing that film back up on youtube.

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny how the version this guy posted and the version I posted were actually different ie, subs were timed fine on my release while his were not. Doesn't ruin the film at all where as this one is distracting.

I did get a reply from him he was rather dickish in his response. But ya know, he's not getting much for hits and I kind of wanna keep it that way. The new version when I DO finish it, will be vastly improved.

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny how the version this guy posted and the version I posted were actually different ie, subs were timed fine on my release while his were not. Doesn't ruin the film at all where as this one is distracting.

I did get a reply from him he was rather dickish in his response. But ya know, he's not getting much for hits and I kind of wanna keep it that way. The new version when I DO finish it, will be vastly improved.

I think I know who you're talking about, and yeah, he's just a leach, and has proven that point more than once. You may need to do like a watermark on your samples if you put them up on the big sites like youtube and such. Then again, if he's getting the full version, just think of it as him wanting to be you, since he probably doesn't have any skills that compare to what is involved in sound mixing, and editing.

Biting somebody's steez is the sincerest form of flattery...?

I think I know who you're talking about, and yeah, he's just a leach, and has proven that point more than once. You may need to do like a watermark on your samples if you put them up on the big sites like youtube and such. Then again, if he's getting the full version, just think of it as him wanting to be you, since he probably doesn't have any skills that compare to what is involved in sound mixing, and editing.

Biting somebody's steez is the sincerest form of flattery...?

Says the guy doing an animated fan film... ha ha ha, oh man. At least credit goes where it's due.