Macross DYRL: Proper English Fandub

Hikuro

Well it's a pretty painful transition doing the subtitles to this but it's working out well for the most part as long as I stick to the Japanese text on the movie.

For now, and I'm pretty happy with this method, I'm using a size 28 Arial font which is Bold and has a black outline around the text. This blocks out about 80-90% of the Japanese text depending on the amount of dailouge being put down.

I'm also inserting and ending .01 of a second before and after the original text to make sure it ends appropriately. So I'm really putting in some serious effort.

If I can finish this before the 30 Day mark, and this all works out how I'd like it too, I might end up buying this software cause it's become pretty handy.

That looks like a great fix for the imbedded subs. It does look like it does take out a lot of the picture. I'm sure you've thought of just about every option, but how did the blacking out the original subs and inserting english text work out? What a job. Great work so far. Keep it up.

• 2 weeks later...

:D great news! Got Avid Studio so I can take my time to do good things to the film. woot! even came with a green screen.

That's awesome. I use the Protools SE for recording, with a 2 input USB hub. Also just got a Shure SM-57 mic, which while not too pricey, is one of the best mics around. There's a few musicians that swear by that mic, and it works really well.

Avid Studio also has some kind of a microphone with sound system for about a hundred bucks. I don't think it does much other than recording and manipulation of the wave. Although it'd be tons better than what I'm currently using as a microphone. I also got this weird issue that developed last year which is why I use 2 computers to record now. But on my laptop if I play any movie on any format and record for syncing the quality of the audio downgrades to a hollow sound. Just can't figure out why!

Avid Studio also has some kind of a microphone with sound system for about a hundred bucks. I don't think it does much other than recording and manipulation of the wave. Although it'd be tons better than what I'm currently using as a microphone. I also got this weird issue that developed last year which is why I use 2 computers to record now. But on my laptop if I play any movie on any format and record for syncing the quality of the audio downgrades to a hollow sound. Just can't figure out why!

I have Avid's recording hub, but not the one that comes with the USB mic. I paid extra for the one with the standard mic jack, as I'm not really into those types of mics. With the standard jack, there's more choice of input and quality. I also have extra filter components I use, but that's all recording. As for the hollow sound, I don't really know why it'd do that. I've been getting proficient in Adobe Premier, and kinda learning Final Cut, so if you're using any of those, they have some sites that are pretty extensive as far as sound editing. I also have a friend I can point to this, or, if you prefer, you can pm me the details of the issue, and I can forward it to him, and see if he knows what would make it do that.

ProTools is the way to go for audio. And I believe ProTools LE is affordable. I don't know that I would record directly in Media Composer, and I've got no idea how limited Avid Studio is in comparison, though I must assume somewhat. But Avid owns ProTools, and the professional workflow uses both packages. Likewise, professionally, most people use ProTools or Logic in conjunction with FCP, though you can record directly into FCP. As for Adobe, there's Adobe Soundbooth and Adobe Audition, which integrate really well into Premiere. Then there's Sonar, which I used to use when I was in music, and when we did the soundtrack for Wulin Warriors. Ugh.

ProTools is the way to go for audio. And I believe ProTools LE is affordable. I don't know that I would record directly in Media Composer, and I've got no idea how limited Avid Studio is in comparison, though I must assume somewhat. But Avid owns ProTools, and the professional workflow uses both packages. Likewise, professionally, most people use ProTools or Logic in conjunction with FCP, though you can record directly into FCP. As for Adobe, there's Adobe Soundbooth and Adobe Audition, which integrate really well into Premiere. Then there's Sonar, which I used to use when I was in music, and when we did the soundtrack for Wulin Warriors. Ugh.

With my previous band, we were using Q base for recording. It was VERY expensive, but did just about everything under the sun. I have Audition, and love that as well. The Pro Tools SE is a good, solid, semi robust program for voice work or music/vocal tracks. Speaking of, Che, I owe you some more music. With this setup, I should be able to send you some stuff. I'll have it next week, and you can let me know what you may want to work with. I'm glad this project is up and running. I was stoked to see when the first version came out, even moreso to see this happen.

Well can't say how limited Avid studios is in comparison to Adobe. I think they're about close to equal just a slightly different set up on the user interface. There were some things my office mate could find on Avid that were similar to Adobe, but other things which he couldn't cause the location to use it is very different.

but in essence a lot of the stuff you can do in Adobe seem pliable on Avid.

Something that does irritate me is that I can't preview the window when I'm doing special titles. So when I'm doing subtitles it's a black screen with white text. Dunno how to fix that! It'll drive me nuts in other projects.

But the subtitling is a slow as hell process and it's becoming old very fast. I'm still working on the subtitle timing and got to just about the halfway point of the movie when they fold back to earth. There wont be much left for subtitling after that. Top of my head, Badolza's explanation of Protoculture, Max and Miriya's battle, and the one line death of Laplamiz.

Once those pieces are complete I'll start working on the ending credit piece. I'm thinking if the resolution size is the same, use Flashback 2012, edit the beginning of it which is pretty much the same as DYRL's ending, then go bit by bit and try to reproduce the credits in the animation. That or I'll just cut that whole segment out, put in the flashback version, then credits at the fade of the animation. Which is most likely the route I'll be going.

It's very likely I'll finish the footage before I'm even 100% on the audio. I still got some quirks I need to fix, and I'm missing 3 VA's. 2 of them are where I work who are interested, the other is Daniel Colin's who plays Alma in Macross Aria.

Subtitles are complete. I stuck to what's exactly in japanese text timing. So if it didn't have Japanese text I didn't sub it. Didn't see a point. The point was to try and eliminate as much of the distracting Japanese text as possible.

Now I need too do end credits, once I have the remainers done.

Sounds very close to finishing up. Good stuff. Are you going to do what you did last time with the first release of this, i.e. give out a couple DVDs and put it up to download?

Footage wise nearly a wrap. Audio still got work to do.

I know it won't be for download, those prevliages were abused horribly, so stream only in 2 fashions, slightly edited and commentary.

The edited will be cut in certain areas that won't take away the story in theory. And the commentary will be hosted by Matt Clarke with me, melissa Johnson and Chris hackney.

Great accomplishment today. Did a large amount of voice work making one of the tracks nearly complete. Maybe 20 minutes left of footage. Right where Minmay and Misa and Hikaru have their moment in his room. Wow that sounded dirty.

Human Audio is just waiting on Claudia for final and then a few last inserts i couldn't get in on the 2nd layer. Then I have to edit the effects, and check the volume levels.

Following that I need to wait on 2 female voices, work on Badolza cause it feels to slow, but I don't think it'll need that much adjusting. Then finish off the Zentraedi and Meltrandi levels.

Once voice audio is mixed in to 100%, I'll finish the SFX's track cause there's still a few pieces I wanna finish.

Then I'll merge it all together with the video footage that's been edited for rough cut and give it a listen. If I'm lucky, I'll have the rough cut done by new years, then make final corrections and pump it out.

Human audio is nearly 95% complete. Zentraedi levels are about 75% complete. Footage is 90% complete, SFX's are 90% complete.

No rough cut sadly, makes me sad. that was my goal this weekend. Might still accomplish it but it's getting pretty late.

I think all the lines are in, sfx audio is 100% complete, Human Audio is undergoing tweeking, and I still need another edition of Zentraedi vocals to play with. Then I need to work on the theme song for the battle, and credits blah blah.

I got until 10PM before I call it a night so we'll see how much I do.

could be a while. I'm going over my rough cut looking things over going "Hm, wonder why that went missing?". I'm only 21 minutes into the film and found 6 things I'm not too proud of that'll involve going back a bit or just adding on as I go.

Not too mention, I can't seem to remember where I put my Flashback 2012 CD....I better find it quick!

Ya know, kind of thinking about it, but wondering if anyone would like to do the "DVD Cover" it'd have to be something fairly close to Mikimotos style though. Anyone interested?

Are you referring to an original drawing, or something more like from a graphics designer using existing art? I've been trying to gather art for my M7 DVDs, and if I ask nicely, my wife may be able to put something together, as that's her profession.

I have a new rough cut to watch tomorrow. If everything is as I predict, then the film is 90% complete all together. I just gotta pay attention for audio levels to be where I'd like, and to finish a credit roll.

I even downloaded Flashback 2012 again so i can use the opening sequence as a replacement for a text less variant.

Dear god, I'm going more all out on this than the first version. So you all better bleepin love it.

K the new cut had worse errors, so I had to use every single individual file and go over them this morning. I think this time I got it nailed. ow to check to balance.

Sounds like extra work. Hope it turned out alright.

Well what really pisses me off right now is that the DVD footage I had doesn't want to work, and it could be the encoding I'm not sure, I might try and figure that out when i want to actually make the DVD version. But right now the footage I got will work for online. However got a little bit of trouble also trying to get that to finish. I need to add the water mark and credits and right now Avid wont let me do it. Go figure.

Well, while the audio plays just awesomely, the footage is screwed up. The subtitles are a few seconds ahead of where they need to be which is odd seeing how they were perfectly timed in avid. Not too mention it wont let me do much for manipulation. So much for being good software in my opinion.

Avid software could need a software update patch and the video card drivers might need

updating, too. And then it could be the video encoding settings within the Avid software.

I don't have Avid software myself, so that's my best guess.

The guy i work with was telling me I need to have an input and an output. No idea what he's flippin talking about. He tried to explain it to me but I just gave him a blank look and shrugged. I've never had issues with subtitles with other programs in the past so I dunno.