Official 1/60 YF-21 News & Picture Thread (ver.2)

Graham

I just got mine today....so nice!! I just love the detail and overall sturdy feel to it. However, it's been awhile since I've watched 'Plus' and can't seem to remember if there was a "21" with the little triangles in white script on both sides behind the cockpit. On Yamato's offering it's only on the left side. I checked the Hasagawa model decal maps and they show one on each side. Does anyone remember which is correct?

I just got mine today....so nice!! I just love the detail and overall sturdy feel to it. However, it's been awhile since I've watched 'Plus' and can't seem to remember if there was a "21" with the little triangles in white script on both sides behind the cockpit. On Yamato's offering it's only on the left side. I checked the Hasagawa model decal maps and they show one on each side. Does anyone remember which is correct?

I think it's left-side only, same as the YF-19 does.

still no sign of qc issues???

The wings give in a little too easily, but whatever...

That's good news. How are the hands? Do they feel brittle and wobbly when holding the guns?

No. The hands are fantastic. I still have little pieces of paper stuffed into the wrist joints of my 1/48 VF-1. While the 19 and the 51 didn't suffer from that, the hands were still fugly. The 21's hands are the way hands should be.

DSC04334.JPG

That's a nice pose. Can the legs really hold up like that?

The knees aren't a problem in this case -- the ratchets in the knees are quite strong and adequate. If anything would give, it's more likely the hips would delimit first.

Overall, the YF-21 is fairly light for its size, though it's still by no means a featherweight. I'm not too sure about the joint between the stand and the Valk proper, it might not hold for extended period, but the only way to find out is to leave it for an extended period, no?

Got mine and everything is pretty tight, though I can't get the belly to close up seamlessly. Is this just a quirk of the toy, or am I transforming it back to fighter wrong?

Quirk with the toy, I think. The belly plates could have benefitted from a small lock at the anterior position, as that's where mine splits the most. There was more gap in mine straight out of the box than after I'd transformed it to battroid and back. If there was was a little clip and indent type lock, mine would hold perfectly; as it is, there's not much gap now. My biggest beef is with the hip joints; they're just a little too loose to support anything more than a standing pose on mine. Hope everyone else's are stronger. I'd almost rather they make the hips ratchet, although poseability would be a bit more limited.

My biggest beef is with the hip joints; they're just a little too loose to support anything more than a standing pose on mine.

I'd almost rather they make the hips ratchet, although poseability would be a bit more limited.

For skinny robots it's hard though.

I'm handling my transformers Leader Class Brawl right now and loving the ratchet joints on the hips. Click click click. And they can do the same range of motion that a balljoint on a yamato would do.

..So I do still think it is possible to have good poseability and clicky joints (well at least on fat chunky robots) but that since the robot modes of valks are generally skinny, it would spoil the look of the robot and people would complain about ugly joints appearing in robot mode.

Can't have it all I guess....

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

For skinny robots it's hard though.

I'm handling my transformers Leader Class Brawl right now and loving the ratchet joints on the hips. Click click click. And they can do the same range of motion that a balljoint on a yamato would do.

..So I do still think it is possible to have good poseability and clicky joints (well at least on fat chunky robots) but that since the robot modes of valks are generally skinny, it would spoil the look of the robot and people would complain about ugly joints appearing in robot mode.

Can't have it all I guess....

I don't know - the voyager Animated Megatron is just the latest example something with very small click joints.

I've been collecting Yamato products for a while now. Next, to the VF-1, the YF-21 is, in my opinion, the best offering to date for a first-run release from Yamato. It really shows how much time and effort they put into getting it right the first time. I was worried there for a second when they released the flawed-from-the-beginning VF-0 series and could never really get the QC issues corrected. But the YF-21 to me shows that they're trying to be more conscientious about releasing a good product given the high price point. However, I do have a couple of small problems with it. The first is similiar to the problem I have with SV-51r: I have trouble hiding the hands in fighter mode (maybe it's just mine). The second is the rear landing gear don't lock into place in the 'landing gear down' position which was a problem mentioned by Graham in his review. Other than those things everything else is spot on.

However, I do have a couple of small problems with it. The first is similiar to the problem I have with SV-51r: I have trouble hiding the hands in fighter mode (maybe it's just mine).

discusses my solution to hand placement.

The second is the rear landing gear don't lock into place in the 'landing gear down' position which was a problem mentioned by Graham in his review. Other than those things everything else is spot on.

Hey, no problem when you roll it forward! :lol:

Edited by peolesdru

Picked up mine yesterday and spent a good long time examining and transforming it (with the help of dru's awesome video guide) and i really love this bad boy. I got it in a cool ascending pose on the display stand (kinda like the shot of the jets from the intro to RahXephon)

On a side note. I cant seem to get the lower back part (the part that slides) flush with the rest of the plane. Any ideas to get it down?

Picked up mine yesterday and spent a good long time examining and transforming it (with the help of dru's awesome video guide) and i really love this bad boy. I got it in a cool ascending pose on the display stand (kinda like the shot of the jets from the intro to RahXephon)

On a side note. I cant seem to get the lower back part (the part that slides) flush with the rest of the plane. Any ideas to get it down?

Thanks. As far as I can tell, it doesn't go completely flush. You can lock down the nacelles to some extent, but it never seems to be completely flush - although it is very nearly so.

Due to the way it slides, I don't think it goes completely flush. Mine was like that out of the box, and after I transformed it. It's so thin and close to being flush, though, that it's not really to noticeable. Overall, this thing is amazing in fighter mode. i had some trouble hiding the hands as well, but a little fiddling with the fingers made it fit better and allow the covers to mostly cover them. It's a very small issue, and one I won't cry about.

I do wish the feet were a tiny bit bigger to give it more support in battroid, but I'm cool with it as-is, b/c clown feet would look pretty odd jutting out the tail. :lol:

Agree with the landing gear not being able to lock down. Wings could be a little tighter, and also the thrust-vectoring-flap thingies as well; that was a problem I've encountered on all toy versions of the '21.

Whatever though. I've waited for this bird to become a reality for about 11 years and I'm not disappointed...

Edited by myk

discusses my solution to hand placement.

Thanks for the link. I watched the video and it seems like the hands on your SV-51r didn't give you too much trouble going where they're supposed to go. I tried to reenact the video with my own SV-51r and....I must be doing something wrong. Anyway, I got the hands to fit as best I could and put it back on display. Then I did some fiddling with my YF-21's hands and with a little work I was able to hide the hands better. Again, with a little work. Man, the fighter mode on this thing is wicked!! I can gaze upon its beauty for hours. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket decal set for the 21 out there?

Edited by shogun029

Got mine today!

Man I've waited so long for this toy.

Here's some photos:

2578013923_93bf3fa691_b.jpg

2578020191_0f054b0240_b.jpg

2578023827_944fe72cee_b.jpg

2578024861_e1ba8391d9_b.jpg

If you'd like to browse the rest: http://www.flickr.com/photos/grandadmiral/...57605608846424/

My thoughts:

The guns fit into the hands very nicely.

The nose section can be tightened in Battroid mode so it doesn't flop around. Just give it a downward push and it'll snug into place.

The thrust vectoring vanes are a little floppy.

Getting the legs back into place when you transform back to jet mode is very tricky. Make sure you have clicked EVERY last little joint back in. I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out what I had done wrong and realized I didn't have the knee joint clicked all the way back into place.

The second time I transformed it went much more smoothly once I knew what to look for.

I prefer how it looks without the FAST packs. Really pleased overall, though. No QC issues that I can see.

I love this thing so much. :wub:

Edited by Grand Admiral

No QC issues that I can see.

I love this thing so much. :wub:

I've had mine for a week now and after numerous transformations it shows no stress marks at all and it's really tight!!! The vectoring vanes are on the floppy side but that's it. It's not like they drop either.

The YF-21 it's my favorite variable fighter and the Yamato incarnation has surpassed all my expectations :)

I'm anticipating the v2 1/60 VF's but the YF-21 has already won the TOY OF THE YEAR title in my book ;)

I've already ordered and payed for a second one :lol:

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

I have mine for a week now and after numerous transformations it shows no stress marks at all and it's really tight!!! The vectoring vanes are on the floppy side but that's it. It's not like they drop either.

The YF-21 it's my favorite variable fighter and the Yamato incarnation has surpassed all my expectations :)

I'm anticipating the v2 1/60 VF's but the YF-21 has already won the TOY OF THE YEAR title in my book ;)

I've already ordered and payed for a second one :lol:

Best news ever! Thanks for letting us know. :D (happy i got two for sure!)

Best news ever! Thanks for letting us know. :D (happy i got two for sure!)

You will love it!!!

It's the best Yamato release so far!!!

It's heavy, feels very solid, full of clicky joints, the hands are a dream, it's damn close to the lineart. I'm in love :wub:

Well I just got my Movie Version Wave 1/5000 Macross SDF-1 and Bandai SOC IDEON a couple of days ago and I am real happy about the purchase. I have all most completed my zoids collection which looks kick ass and the several gundams I really wanted PICS will be coming shortly but hearing about the good QC on this release makes me regret I didnt get this first :mellow: :mellow: Now I have asked a friend to spot one in Hong Kong because finacially I am tapped out. Here is hoping that one can be found at a reasonable price and I will have it shipped minus the box

*Raises hand*

You and me both man...you and me both...

-Kyp

Yeah me too. I've heard nothing but great things about VE, but I personally don't like to wait when it comes to new releases. I would have glady paid extra from one of the sellers overseas to have it as soon as its released. Guess I'm impatient like that and the money saved is not worth the agony of waiting...it's like sitting in timeout while watching all your buddies play at recess.

:(

OO

but I personally don't like to wait when it comes to new releases. I would have glady paid extra from one of the sellers overseas to have it as soon as its released. Guess I'm impatient like that and the money saved is not worth the agony of waiting...it's like sitting in timeout while watching all your buddies play at recess.

:(

OO

I feel the same way about waiting for items. I'm just too damn impatient. I know all to well about having to miss recess :( .

:ph34r:

OO