Official 1/60 YF-21 News & Picture Thread (ver.2)

Graham

I prefer the glossy paint job one though, but still this is one heck of a toy. I'm still thinking whether i should get this one or not.

This is a first. I prefer the matte finish. The glossy finish made it look toyish. Then again it is a toy...well not in my book it's not!

:D

OO

Definitely nice pics. I put the fodildo on last night and it looks great. I'm afraid I'll lose those little pegs if I leave the thing on there, though.

Am I the only one who wishes the intake detail was a deep duct looking thing instead of having the visible turbine?

Gogdog's gallery FTGDMF'NW.

Wow, thanks for all the positive replies. I thought they kinda sucked., to be honest (I usually have a lightbox, but this thing is way too big for it). And they nowhere compare to the Almighty Swoosh. :)

2552873114_a39337ce19_b.jpg

Edited by GogDog

ANd also, step 15 of Gerwalk to Battroid just shows a close-up of the little hook behind the ankle, what is the significance of that?

I second that question - is that a locking mechanism for the telescoping leg or what?

Wow, thanks for all the positive replies. I thought they kinda sucked., to be honest (I usually have a lightbox, but this thing is way too big for it). And they nowhere compare to the Almighty Swoosh. :)

2552873114_a39337ce19_b.jpg

I love your pic too!!

I second that question - is that a locking mechanism for the telescoping leg or what?

yes, it is, in battroid mode, since it is top heavy, they helps to prevent the telescoping portion slides back.

Nice pics everybody.

Graham's review is OK, but it could have given more details on the Battroid mode.

Judging by the pics I'd say

Fighter = godly

Gerwalk = OK

Battroid = bad/ugly

It's the legs, they just don't do it for me.

In fact I would have to revert one of my previous posts, where I said the legs were too curvy.

Now I think they are too straight.

Battroid mode of the YF-21 should always give that "Yo, my mama was a Q'Rau" feeling.

Sadly I'm not getting that impression.

It's kind of annoying that Yamato emphasizes one mode over the other,

but hopefully they will correct that with the new ver.2 1/60 VF-1s and maybe the VF-11.

It's kind of annoying that Yamato emphasizes one mode over the other...

Psh. It's not like they have a choice. These transforming robots use anime magic on the big screen. I really don't think we have the technology to translate anime magic onto plastic toys in this day and age, unless you want to go back to Yamato's "dark ages" and have removable parts again. If someone really gets off on one mode or the other they should buy the corrresponding model kit for that mode.

Besides, Macross variable fighters are aircraft FIRST. Gerwalk and Battroid will always take a back seat to Fighter mode. Personally speaking, I say thank God for that...

Edited by myk

I was looking at some of my Yammer-toes last night and wondering WHEN they will introduce air-intake covers that don't have to be removed.

Still counts as part-forming to me. Pfft. Perfect variable my aunt Fanny. ^_^

The one thing that bothers me: because of the small feet, this thing will NOT stand as well as other valks. I have a 1/48 Strike Stealth, a YF-19, and a Nora SV-51, and they all stand better than this one. Does anyone wonder why most people are posing the 21 with a wide stance? Thats the only way to get a solid posture. Maybe it's just mine, but I really wish they ankles were tighter. I tightened the screws in the feet, which helped, but they still need to be tighter. I still really like this figure and think its an engineering marvel, but that is my one gripe. I can poke the YF-19, and he will barely sway. Good luck doing that with this figure. I'm going to make a video showing this after work today.

Edited by GogDog

The one thing that bothers me: because of the small feet, this thing will NOT stand as well as other valks. I have a 1/48 Strike Stealth, a YF-19, and a Nora SV-51, and they all stand better than this one. Does anyone wonder why most people are posing the 21 with a wide stance? Thats the only way to get a solid posture. Maybe it's just mine, but I really wish they ankles were tighter. I tightened the screws in the feet, which helped, but they still need to be tighter. I still really like this figure and think its an engineering marvel, but that is my one gripe. I can poke the YF-19, and he will barely sway. Good luck doing that with this figure. I'm going to make a video showing this after work today.

I don't think Yamato is to blame for it YF-21 not being as stable as other VF toys. The feet were designed by Kawamori to look small and they need to fit in the fuselage.

When I first transformed the YF-21 into battroid mode, I found that it didn't want to stand up very well. Then I made sure I locked up the rotating hips, and now it can stand up prettty well. It can even do some pretty nifty poses with a bit of work.

When I first transformed the YF-21 into battroid mode, I found that it didn't want to stand up very well. Then I made sure I locked up the rotating hips, and now it can stand up prettty well. It can even do some pretty nifty poses with a bit of work.

That's actually a good point. I spoke to two people who didn't realize the hips locked.

And can someone confirm that the seat rotates automatically when you transform it back to fighter. Graham was suspicious of my claim in his review ^_^

That's actually a good point. I spoke to two people who didn't realize the hips locked.

And can someone confirm that the seat rotates automatically when you transform it back to fighter. Graham was suspicious of my claim in his review ^_^

Yeah, it worked for me.

I was looking at some of my Yammer-toes last night and wondering WHEN they will introduce air-intake covers that don't have to be removed.

Still counts as part-forming to me. Pfft. Perfect variable my aunt Fanny. ^_^

THIS.

It has always been a pet peeve of mine to keep track of the infernal things.

How hard would it be to make them actual vents with a post on each end that went into the internal walls.

It would be a neat detail, and closer to the anime.

David,

Do real aircraft have these?

I can confirm that, as well. It's actually pretty obvious if you think about it and look at the positioning of the seat when it's the vertical position and what the seat would be in the way of if you went back to fighter without that. IOW, it's a necessity and perhaps unintentional as a "feature."

eCheck finally cleared, should be getting mine pretty soon. Just gotta figure out what to do with my old yammy 1/72.

Still doing that transformation video, Graham?

The one thing that bothers me: because of the small feet, this thing will NOT stand as well as other valks...Does anyone wonder why most people are posing the 21 with a wide stance? Thats the only way to get a solid posture.

Thanks for clarifying this. I noticed the small feet in the early ads and was surprised that no one had yet mentioned how they balance in battroid mode.

Am I the only one who wishes the intake detail was a deep duct looking thing instead of having the visible turbine?

You are not alone. The visible turbines have looked weird to me ever since the first prototype pics. I don't recall ever seeing the turbines in the anime or any line art. The deep black ducts are sort of a signature feature of the 21 for me.

I might paint them black when I get mine.

Buy it ... you KNOW you want to ....

:p:p:p

Hell yeah i'm bowman, that is my plane. If anyone should get it, that would be me :p lol I don't even own a macross toy and i've been a fan since the 80's. I gotta join the club

Hell yeah i'm bowman, that is my plane. If anyone should get it, that would be me :p lol I don't even own a macross toy and i've been a fan since the 80's. I gotta join the club

Ummmmmm yeah you do. :blink:

:ph34r:

playing with it now

it is my first YF21

NOT EASY TO TRANSFORM

but so cool

euhhhhhhhhh by the way customs are impossible on it

that is the only bad thing I see on it now

so so happy about this first release

good job yamato !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!