Official 1/60 YF-21 News & Picture Thread (ver.2)

Graham

Woo! Got mine today!

Shes gorgeous alright, though i havent had a chance to transform her yet. I carely had time toi get the gear out!

Im fighting the urge to buy a 3rd YF-19 and a 2nd YF-21 and keep thewm her eon my desk at work...

Got my two birds last Friday. (Major, MAJOR thanks to Los!!)

Definitely digging this new bird, and can't wait to customize it! (though, I have a feeling the project is gonna stretch out a bit more than I anticipate....)

Going from fighter to battroid is not too bad.

But it's definitely going back into fighter and putting those legs back in and inside the belly plates that's gonna be the headache for most of you folks.

I forgot who mentioned this earlier, but you'll definitely want to push the upper knee/thigh joint as far back as possible.

When going back into fighter mode, the whole leg assembly shouldn't look like a straight leg; there should be a noticeable bend between the thigh and the UPPER part of the knee. If the thigh and upper knee are positioned like that, then you should have no problem getting the legs and bellyplates to lock up flush and with minimal effort.

Any misalignment, and you're gonna have different parts of the bellyplates and beavertail not sitting or staying flush.

As far as possible QC issues, I've only inspected one of my birds. But that bird has two minor issues that I've found:

• I have a hairline crack on the leg section that connects to the hip joint.
  • Not sure if they didn't put enough glue or forgot some screws, but the blue chest/cockpit section wasn't glued down on mine. When I push down for battroid mode, that outside blue chest/cockpit section can literally slide off and just dangle off of the canopy.

Again, these might just be specific issues with my one YF-21.

Also, I wish the head/eye could tilt down a bit more like the 1/48 VF-1's.

But overall, I'm quite pleased.

Overall I really like the 21. More than i ever thought I would, given that the design has never been a favourite of mine. Like everyone, I have trouble getting back to fighter mode. It all just feel like its not locked together; the bellyplates wont link up at the rear for example. I have watched the transform guide and looked at every pic i can see, and i THINK the legs are in the right spots....I dunno what Im doin wrong. Also I cant seem to attach the fast packs with any degree of skill or accuracy. the ones on the tail go on fine, but getting them off is harder than i like. and the bellyplates, if by some miracle i get them ON wont come OFF very well!

Im sure Im missing something, but i dunno what...

I'm guessing it's usually that thigh/upper knee joint.

If you look at the side of the knee (on the grey part), you should see a small circular hole on the outer side. Not the screw, but a little pinhole.

When transforming back to fighter, you have to make sure that the knee is bent back far enough into the thigh that the pinhole gets covered by the thigh. (I just don't have the time right now to take pics, but I'm sure someone on the board knows what I'm talking about and can snap before and after pics of that joint moving).

I had problems getting everything to link up before, including the back bellyplate connection. But getting the knees into this position really improves the fit of everything for fighter mode.

You might wanna check out the supplemental instruction manual too to see how all the different parts should fit inside the belly of the beast.

Hi all,

just my 2 cents here. Overall, Yamato has impressed me again. The yf-21 looks great in all 3 modes, I very much like the color, and it's got a lot of goodies.

But I fear I have a couple of (maybe minor) complaints:

- Main wings in fighter mode: they're... floppy. I wish the mecanism wich allows the wings to rotate was a little bit better, or even better, to add locking mechanisms ala SV-51 to properly fix wings in place.

- Rear landing gear collapsing very easily when playing

- loose backpack: the metal plate which connects the main body of the battroid to its backpack is (at least in my 21) partially bended, so the backpack ends on my hands often. I don't remember Guld loosing the backpack, so I think it's not a gimmick.

- guns easily falling (with FP on): all you need is a barrell roll to loose one or both gunpods when you have FAST packs on.

Other than that, the yf-21 is gorgeous, and the QC issues doesn't have anything similar to yf-19's.

Definitely, recommended buy! And if you can get two, don't hesitate!

Manu B))

Edited by mcpaz

I'm going to be purchasing a clear stand (which comes with the YF-21) from another MW'er.

He says that it comes with attachments for the YF-19 as well. Is this true?

He says that it comes with attachments for the YF-19 as well. Is this true?

If this is true, I haven't been able to get my 19 properly posed on the 21's display stand. Actually the stand comes with two pieces: one for yf-21 in battroid mode, and the other for connecting the 21 fighter mode to the stand.

No more "connectors", at least on my yf-21.

Regds,

Manu

Edited by mcpaz

Yeah i didnt think there was an adaptor for the 19. i wish there was, that would be awesome!

I managed to get the Fastpacks on ok, but the guns also wont stay in mine. actually, thats a lie, the left one locks in fine. the right however just falls off. No click no nothing. Just wont stay.

not the worst problem ever, but frustrating.

As for the leg position, Ill try again, but i think they're in the right places. We'll see!

Wonderful, Soon I to can in joy the 21 in all her glory. And chase my Soon to be hear 19 around my house makeing all sorts of fighter noses. B))

BTW thats for the great serves kev, It's kev right thought I read that some where?

Any way Fffeeeesssewww thats a VF-0 With brokin arm going down. :ph34r:

Yes his name is Kevin, though i didn't know he was still in business in a smaller capicity. Now i have can him some business again. I got a few1/48s through him, and the clear fast pack covers. Great, guy to deal with highly recommended, him and LOS. I mad now cause i moved out of Texas only to find thatLOS is there. I couldve have physically went to his shop and chatted with him.

I received my YF-21 this past friday and I am happy to report no QC issues.

I do have one problem though, the head faceplate does not stay how I would like it. I turn the head, and it wants to flip up, or the cowl wants to move down.

Help?

I received my YF-21 this past friday and I am happy to report no QC issues.

I do have one problem though, the head faceplate does not stay how I would like it. I turn the head, and it wants to flip up, or the cowl wants to move down.

Help?

Yeah, I get that issue too. From the design of it, it really looks like you can't tilt the head/eye downward all that much.

And yeah, the head tends to tilt back up every time you rotate the head to the left or the right.

Must be a design thing. :(

It bums me out a bit, because I love tilting the heads of my Valks downward when in battroid mode. It just gives them that brooding, bad-ass look.

Thanks for your patience everyone...They will be here very soon!

Must....have....my....YF-21....

*Cough*

*Choke*

*Gasp*

*Wheeze*..................................................................dying.

.........please...........hurry..............

*THUD*

:lol:

-Kyp

Kinda chunkier with the FP. I like the YF-19 so much more with FP... but unlike the 1/72 I prefer my 1/60 YF-21 without FP. Usually even without the gunpods.

Eyeballing the VF-22S, it's just a new face, cockpit and belly plates, right?

Must....have....my....YF-21....

*Cough*

*Choke*

*Gasp*

*Wheeze*..................................................................dying.

.........please...........hurry..............

*THUD*

:lol:

-Kyp

*If*

*I*

*Could just*

*Reach my*

*Bat utility*

*Belt!*

...damn!!!

:wacko:

OO

Edited by MacrossMan

I prefer my 1/60 YF-21 without FP. Usually even without the gunpods.

Copy that. I'm so floored by how sleek this thing is that I don't put the pods or paks either. I still can't believe it!

Mine just landed! I got a quick Q, though..

This little tab here:

tabB.jpg

tabA.jpg

I fear it'll eventually be completely rubbed off soon.. Even as it is now, the the back of the jet snaps and holds tightly together.

Is this little stub important, or is it ok if it disappears one day?

Other than that, the 21 is AMAZING!!

QUOTE (Godzilla @ Jun 18 2008, 01:03 PM)

Ah, the price I have to pay to upgrade my air force. He was the lowest bidder for the contract.

LOL that was the reason I went with him as well, he had the absolute lowest price for these. The wait is hard, but worth it.

-Kyp

Kevin for the win yeah!

well, after seveeral days of play and transforming, I still think shes a bitch to transform, and Gerwalk didnt impress me, but the fighter and Robot modes look great. Cant get the back of the plates to lock, but dont mind to much. ended up bluetacking in the gunpod, no big deal.

Overall, very nice! :)

Is anyone else having difficulty getting the fastpacks on? I got one on, but after half an hour of working the other one haven't succeeded. Any help is appreciated. :mellow:

just follow the instructions pictures :p

it has to slide in the correct way

front clip must be secure first and slide from inside the bird to outside at the lower section of the fast pack...

it is not easy ........ :wacko:

Edited by Ghostkiller

I spent about 30-40 minutes putting the infernal things on (mind, I don't open the instruction packets on my Yammies, so I look at box pics and employ my wits to finger it out). As big a pain as putting them on was, I thought for sure I was going to snap off a stab when removing the pods, and the belly armor took some work to get off,too.

Edited by M'Kyuun

I just gave up and put them back in the box. It looks better without them anyway.

Yeah, no matter how sleek they make this bird, the fast-paks will never help it look any better...