Official 1/60 YF-21 News & Picture Thread (ver.2)

Graham

oK SORRY to revert but my point of view has just changed

the transformation with legs and arms attached is really bad

the big swing bar tends to pop off to often in my taste

It is the worst yamato transformation mechanic for a valk

all recent 1/60 beat the YF21 for the transformation

:angry:

but sleek fighter

This YF21 won't be as much transformed as the others in my collection

I forgot :

the fast pack and guns attachment is not good

and the funny thing is that the tail has to be detached to release the hand fast pack

Bottom plate fixation does not do the job correctly and connection are going to break one day or another

I am not going to get another one.......

in terms of durability I have serious doubts

Get ready futur owners..........

oK SORRY to revert but my point of view has just changed

the transformation with legs and arms attached is really bad

the big swing bar tends to pop off to often in my taste

It is the worst yamato transformation mechanic for a valk

all recent 1/60 beat the YF21 for the transformation

:angry:

but sleek fighter

I forgot :

and the funny thing is that the tail has to be detached to release the hand fast pack

Bottom plate fixation does not do the job correctly and connection are going to break one day or another

Get ready futur owners..........

I see what you mean as it is a scary toy to transform especially for the first time but most of the parts on the toy disengage when too much force is applied to fit something in.

The biggest flaw I see yet in the toy is that it takes too much force to lock everything down when transforming and all too often I found myself having to refit or readjust things so that they fit and lock in perfectly because they'll slip out of place when I try to fit another part of the toy together, if I have to put alot of force on a peg to fit in properly it should at least hold solid even with some pressure but it doesn't... Its just a bit too complicated IMO. Theres too many things to lock in at once and transformation is a pain in the @$$ I still like it though because its the only perfect tranforimg yf-21 ill probly ever get.

I see what you mean as it is a scary toy to transform especially for the first time but most of the parts on the toy disengage when too much force is applied to fit something in.

The biggest flaw I see yet in the toy is that it takes too much force to lock everything down when transforming and all too often I found myself having to refit or readjust things so that they fit and lock in perfectly because they'll slip out of place when I try to fit another part of the toy together, if I have to put alot of force on a peg to fit in properly it should at least hold solid even with some pressure but it doesn't... Its just a bit too complicated IMO. Theres too many things to lock in at once and transformation is a pain in the @$$ I still like it though because its the only perfect tranforimg yf-21 ill probly ever get.

I agree about the pain in the ass part. The two main pegs (the ones that double as screwposts on the backpack) are a PAIN to get pegged down in fighter mode. I still love it, though, so don't get me wrong. And I know I will get better at it as I transform it more. Also, unlocking a fully compacted backpack takes a LOT of force. Also, the side-sjirts pop out from the body in battroid mode. I wear, every time I do that, I just KNOW I am going to break it. I really hope they loosen up over time.

It's a very photogenic figure, and I am glad I bought it.

Hi kicker

I know your love for customs

I like custom and I did 2 for me

But they have to transform without issues

And the day someone does a custom on the YF 21 I will ask for different mode picks... :ph34r:

will post pictures of my concerns this weekend

I have to go to sleep.... ;)

I forgot :

I can get the fuel pod/tail fin FP off without the tail loose. It's all on the positioning of the tail fin and the appropriate leverage. I wish the belly FP plates went on like the 1/72... I'll get it closed up perfectly and am loathe to open it up for the Stand Peg or the FP on. I was transforming my 1/60 YF-19 and the YF-21 is definitely more complicated in transform but I'm amazed at how much thinner the YF-21 is. YF-19 is almost chunky. Very sleek and beatiful fighter mode, I definitely agree.

Not sure what you mean about the gunpods. They attach very secure in both the hands on the fighter. For fighter make sure you're pushing it in all the way until it clicks... not once, but twice. For the hands, just make sure trigger finger is in the trigger well, grip is closed and that the hand is on the peg.

Durability wise I'm still most concerned about the T-bar plastic loops but I am feeling better than I did on day 1. Probably take some pics of mine this weekend.

Edited by Uxi

I can get the fuel pod/tail fin FP off without the tail loose. It's all on the positioning of the tail fin and the appropriate leverage. I wish the belly FP plates went on like the 1/72... I'll get it closed up perfectly and am loathe to open it up for the Stand Peg or the FP on. I was transforming my 1/60 YF-19 and the YF-21 is definitely more complicated in transform but I'm amazed at how much thinner the YF-21 is. YF-19 is almost chunky. Very sleek and beatiful fighter mode, I definitely agree.

Not sure what you mean about the gunpods. They attach very secure in both the hands on the fighter. For fighter make sure you're pushing it in all the way until it clicks... not once, but twice. For the hands, just make sure trigger finger is in the trigger well, grip is closed and that the hand

Durability wise I'm still most concerned about the T-bar plastic loops but I am feeling better than I did on day 1. Probably take some pics of mine this weekend.

The best way to put the Fast Packs on is by first transforming it into battloid mode. thats what I did, once its in battloid mode the parts can be slid over the holding notches. Also the tail fin plates can be put on easier if the fins are folded down. I havent tried putting them on in jet mode yet though but thats one way you can do it.

Edited by transfan52

comon guys, more pictures of the yf-21 with fps and air intake OPEN!!!! Does it look that bad that no one does it???

I think cus that's not canon. :lol:

FP means its space flight and thus intakes are closed. :lol:

I think cus that's not canon. :lol:

FP means its space flight and thus intakes are closed. :lol:

I'm pretty sure the 19 and 21's FPs are aerodynamic enough for atmosphere. Both the fighters have their FPs attached for the majority of the episode 4 battle on Earth.

THIS.

It has always been a pet peeve of mine to keep track of the infernal things.

How hard would it be to make them actual vents with a post on each end that went into the internal walls.

It would be a neat detail, and closer to the anime.

David,

Do real aircraft have these?

I'm not as well read on aircraft as David, but I've spent some time around aircraft. To my knowledge, most aircraft do not have variable intake covers, nor permanently mounted covers at all, with the F-117 being the only exception that I'm aware of. the F-117 has a permanently mounted permeable mesh cover over the intakes to reflect radar and hide the fan, but the downside is that they restrict airflow making it a subsonic plane. I've seen the B-2 up fairly close, and did not notice whether there were intake covers or not, but I don't believe so due to the "s" ducting to prevent the fan face from giving a radar return. There are some aircraft, most notably the F-15, whose intakes, or ramps, are variable, but not covered. Actual intake covers are separate from the aircraft and must be removed before flight(hence the red tags), then reinstalled after to prevent foreign objects from entering. Kawamori's intake covers are a fictional, yet realistic detail, since his valks are intended for space flight(no air means no need for an intake) and transform( the covers protect the intakes from foreign objects as well as lend a nifty aesthetic to the battroid). I doubt we will ever see intake covers permanently attached, as the possibility of failure would potentially choke the engine at best, or break off and become ingested, endangering the aircraft and pilot. Hope this helps.

Edited by M'Kyuun

At the current moment, had the YF-21 had not been so expensive, it would have taken a short flight from my hands to the wall.

Two words I can think of to describe my experience: flappy and flippy. While overall construction is very good -- much better QC -- the basic design and mechanical engineering made the plane full of small parts that just flip and flap around a lot. Annoying as it is, but when it's the two side panels flipping in just when you are putting the back in, it's just plain frustrating. The lack of resistance stays for some parts (such as the flipping cockpit section when you are transforming to Battroid) makes it just that much more irritating.

Right now I'm having incredible problems getting the legs re-aligned in Fighter, specifically, one leg always end up lapping over the other such that I cannot get the bottom hull covers closed. It's so bad I simply couldn't get them to align properly to transform back into Fighter. I spent so much time trying to get the legs right that I inadvertently "delimited" one leg, and the ball joint and main swing bar now has visible wear. I. just. cannot. get. the. legs. to. sit. right!

*deep breath*

I'm going to park the YF-21, in the very nice Battroid mode, one side so as to not aggravate me. When I'm calmer, I'll give it a shot again, but any pointers would be appreciated.

At the current moment, had the YF-21 had not been so expensive, it would have taken a short flight from my hands to the wall.

Two words I can think of to describe my experience: flappy and flippy. While overall construction is very good -- much better QC -- the basic design and mechanical engineering made the plane full of small parts that just flip and flap around a lot. Annoying as it is, but when it's the two side panels flipping in just when you are putting the back in, it's just plain frustrating. The lack of resistance stays for some parts (such as the flipping cockpit section when you are transforming to Battroid) makes it just that much more irritating.

Right now I'm having incredible problems getting the legs re-aligned in Fighter, specifically, one leg always end up lapping over the other such that I cannot get the bottom hull covers closed. It's so bad I simply couldn't get them to align properly to transform back into Fighter. I spent so much time trying to get the legs right that I inadvertently "delimited" one leg, and the ball joint and main swing bar now has visible wear. I. just. cannot. get. the. legs. to. sit. right!

*deep breath*

I'm going to park the YF-21, in the very nice Battroid mode, one side so as to not aggravate me. When I'm calmer, I'll give it a shot again, but any pointers would be appreciated.

Beware frustration is the toy killer.....

*deep breath*

I had the same problems with the legs overlapping in fighter mode. Here is the solution:

When transformed properly into fighter mode, the legs (knees) should not even touch each other (look at the manual insert pictures). The reason they are touching is because the back of the knee is still hyper-extended like it is in gerwalk mode. Tat last click is hard to notice, but I would almost bet that you need to push the white back part of the knees up one more click. There is a good reference to do this: there is a small hole on that white part of the back of the knee. It should be almost all the way up next to the blue. IF that hole is lower than that, your joints are extended too much. It does require some pressure to get that last click.

Here is the picture from the manual addendum. See the picture on the top right? the little circle is showing that small pinhole. Just like in that pic, it should be all the way up next to the blue. Chances are that on yours, that hole is further down. Hope that helps.

PICTURE LINK

I picked up my YF-21 at the Post Office this mornig!!

Took it out of the box put it on a flexi display stand and then headed to work :angry: I'm finishing preparing a lecture I have to give this afternoon and I can't concentrate :lol:

I'm anxiously anticipating to return home!!!

I had the same problems with the legs overlapping in fighter mode. Here is the solution:

When transformed properly into fighter mode, the legs (knees) should not even touch each other (look at the manual insert pictures). The reason they are touching is because the back of the knee is still hyper-extended like it is in gerwalk mode.

Thanks for the pointer. I did RTFM. :) I think the hole is in the correct place but still couldn't get it to sit right. I will give it a shot again later, but at the moment though, I don't really want to look at it, so it'll probably be tomorrow.

In its defense, the YF-19 is a very gorgeous looking toy. Fighter is of course excellent, but Battroid is good too -- once you locked down everything, it feels solid but top heavy. I didn't get much time in GERWALK but had some issues with the base plate locking into the hand covers.

Here is the picture from the manual addendum. See the picture on the top right? the little circle is showing that small pinhole. Just like in that pic, it should be all the way up next to the blue. Chances are that on yours, that hole is further down. Hope that helps.

PICTURE LINK

Ohhh my god I had it wrong that is why I coud not lock back properly the left plate...

NOW IT LOCK PERFECTLY

Sorry Yamato YOU had it right ... :unsure:

:rolleyes:

Ohhh my god I had it wrong that is why I coud not lock back properly the left plate...

NOW IT LOCK PERFECTLY

Sorry Yamato YOU had it right ... :unsure:

:rolleyes:

I would like to wait until the second run. My question is Yamato going to make a second run with a the Black Anniversary colours? I still have the fast pack 1/72 version and still like it but if I am going to wait for the QC to iron out on the second run I would rather have a different paint apps

I would like to wait until the second run. My question is Yamato going to make a second run with a the Black Anniversary colours? I still have the fast pack 1/72 version and still like it but if I am going to wait for the QC to iron out on the second run I would rather have a different paint apps

A lot of the QC concerns posted here so far have been either very minor or user error due to

not reading or not being able to read the instructions (Non Parvez lou Japanese?).

I noticed the "Caution Points" when Graham posted a copy of the instructions, and boy I am

thankfull I did because I would have decorated a wall with mine by now If I hadn't.

IMNSHO This item is so crabby because of the "It's gotta be slimmer than an annhorexic model"

tantrum the fandom/buyership threw over the last few years. About 5mm of body depth could

have made a hell of big difference in how fiddly it is.

Mine arrived today! Man is EMS quick. All the way from Japan in 4 days. The mailman actually left a "you missed your poo" notice in our mailbox when my wife went to a meeting this afternoon and, awesome wife that she is, she made a point of going to the post office right before closing (to give the carrier time to come back) and convinced the guy at the counter to track it down in the back.

I really like the figure. Some notes:

I was trying to get the plates together and suddenly they buckled and I broke off the tiny little tab. Sheesh. I'm totally going to get some tiny little super magnets and superglue them under the plates to get the damned things to stay together. I'm such a dunce. Is it just mine or does it seem that they don't want to go together at all?

I had to check through the board when I went back to fighter mode because I could NOT get the backpack re-extended and was afraid I was missing some locking mechanism. But everyone who mentioned it was like "wow that's tight thought I'd break it" so I gritted my teeth and gave it a hard pull. Pretty scary.

Other than that it is indeed kind of a pain in the ass to get that plate under the shoulders to lock down properly. I leave the front of the plane (and the legs) disengaged until I do the backpack and then the arms and then I lock it down. Still tricky, though.

Oh and when I went to battroid for the first time, one of the legs came right off in my hand. I'd read that was normal alraedy, but for a moment there I just sat and stared at it. My poor wife didn't know it was normal and took my sudden cessation of movement to be a bad sign. She said later that she had started to plan her escape from the room.

Edited by peolesdru

hey Dog, tks for putting up that pic. gonna have to try it out later.

i'm so sorry Yamato, i so misunderstood you! (apology retraction subject to successful application of instructions for storing legs in fuselage) =P =P

PS. peolesdru, you've a great wife. love her escape plan.

Edited by Onimusha-shin

I'm not as well read on aircraft as David, but I've spent some time around aircraft. To my knowledge, most aircraft do not have variable intake covers, nor permanently mounted covers at all, with the F-117 being the only exception that I'm aware of. the F-117 has a permanently mounted permeable mesh cover over the intakes to reflect radar and hide the fan, but the downside is that they restrict airflow making it a subsonic plane. I've seen the B-2 up fairly close, and did not notice whether there were intake covers or not, but I don't believe so due to the "s" ducting to prevent the fan face from giving a radar return. There are some aircraft, most notably the F-15, whose intakes, or ramps, are variable, but not covered. Actual intake covers are separate from the aircraft and must be removed before flight(hence the red tags), then reinstalled after to prevent foreign objects from entering. Kawamori's intake covers are a fictional, yet realistic detail, since his valks are intended for space flight(no air means no need for an intake) and transform( the covers protect the intakes from foreign objects as well as lend a nifty aesthetic to the battroid). I doubt we will ever see intake covers permanently attached, as the possibility of failure would potentially choke the engine at best, or break off and become ingested, endangering the aircraft and pilot. Hope this helps.

Actually, the closest we have to the variable intake covers are the intakes on early MiG-29s which could be fully closed to protect the engines from dust and debris when operating from forward airbases and flying at low altitudes (with the engines breathing through dorsal louvres instead).

Oooohhh....a black 21 would look spankin! I'd probably remove the gold trim though.

You mean like this?

Although Gamlin's is more dark green than black.

Edited by d3v

Is it as bad as transforming one of the Megahouse cyclones??? Cause those were a PITA ...

:huh: