New Custom Decal Service

winterdyne

Custom Decals Questionaire  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in ordering custom decals?

• No
    • Yes
    • Undecided
    • 1/48 yamato standard valkyrie sets (VF-1A/J/S/D, skull squadron/CF)
    • 1/48 yamato custom valkyrie decals (low vis, minmay guard etc)
    • 1/48 other (GBP-1S, misc. details for crew / scale vehicles, other squadrons)
    • 1/60 yamato standard valkyrie sets (VF-1A/J/S/D, skull squadron/CF)
    • 1/60 yamato custom valkyrie decals (low vis, minmay guard etc)
    • 1/60 other (GBP-1S, other squadrons)
    • 1/60 yamato macross zero sets (VF0-A/S, SV-51)
    • 1/55 bandai standard valkyrie sets (VF-1 A,J,S,D, skull squadron/CF)
    • 1/55 bandai custom valkyrie decals (low vis, minmay guard etc)
    • 1/72 misc macross insignia (for customising 1/72 models)
    • 1/200 nichimo kit custom decals (2 per set)
    • 1/60 yamato macross plus sets (YF-19, YF-21)
  2. 2. How many decals are you looking to order in the next year?

• None - not interested
    • Unsure
    • 1-2 sets
    • 3-5 sets
    • 6-10 sets
    • More than 10 sets
  3. 3. What sort of minimum order value would you consider ok?

• $20 plus shipping
    • $30 plus shipping
    • $50 plus shipping
    • $100 plus shipping
    • $150 plus shipping

Hey all,

I'm thinking about starting up a service to print custom decals, and could do with some information, so I can figure out if it's worthwhile, and how much time I should devote to the Macross / fantasy / sci-fi stuff (which I like) and stuff like model railroads and wargaming stuff (which I find a little tedious).

I'm talking about laser printed, clear film backed waterslide decals. Oh yes, with WHITE printing.

On the poll, please use the following guideline:

Question 1 - Please specify yes, no or undecided, and then select which ranges you are most interested in.

Question 2 - Specify roughly how many sets you'd be likely to order over the next year.

Question 3 - Specify roughly how much you could spend in one go - shipping isn't likely to cost more than $15 to anywhere in the world.

I also need high resolution scans of appropriate sticker sheets - I'd appreciate anyone who can provide these to drop me a PM.

Please note, I am NOT ready to start taking orders. I'm just trying to get a handle on whether there's sufficient demand for me to put out money to provide the service for macross related stuff.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Yeah... I've also got contacts in the figure casting field and if this takes off I might look into getting some pilot figures cast up. I like the idea of a Roy leaning back and swigging from a hip flask, and a Hikaru in civvies for the VF-1D... It's been ages since I sculpted anything though.

Edited by winterdyne

Quick update on this:

I'm currently chasing the printer / toner manufacturer for information on how easy it'll be to align the colour layers over the white backing. This is really important for decals that'll go over a dark background (like the kite symbols) and warning markings (and pretty much everything for GBP). They're being very slow in responding which makes it look like this could be an issue.

Perhaps this won't pan out after all, or it may be that for some things two decals will need to be aligned at application time. Fiddly!

More news as it develops. The bottom line is to get the cost for a sheet (letter size) of transfers down to around $25 I'll need to shift 400 sheets in a fairly short space of time. I'm using the poll to gauge custom from this site, so if you're interested you really need to vote!

Those of you that have ideas on other modelling sites I could put a similar poll on please let me know - the setup will allow us to do fairly bespoke work but I don't think it's worth getting on the strength of macross stuff alone.

The whole process could work out fine for one off decals you need to scan original source material (if needed) use a vector capable art program (there are loads available from free shareware to expensive professional ones) to draw over the original decal sheet layer once your happy with your new decals delete the original layer scan and et voila you have some fully scalable decals. Scale em out to size via test printing to plain paper and once you done you can save them at the correct size and in a file format that Winterdyne likes and send them to him for printing etc.

The way to do stuff that you have no original source material for is to cover the subject with masking tape and sketch on the rough out line for you new decal peal it off and scan it into your computer and see the above paragraph.

I can't vote again, but my 1% is up there in spirit! I've got some I did in Corel 8 (yes, I'm too cheap to upgrade-but the newer stuff still reads the older). - MT

Edited by MechTech

Apparently my sample print is on the way by priority mail from the toner manufacturer. I'll let you guys know about the quality when I get it.

RIGHT ON!!!!

:ph34r:

I think why there has been failure at this is because one guy has been trying to do it all, like Devin, or the guy who tried to take over for him. If you could find partners in different regions of the world, it might go easier because you guys could share the workload if one guy was slow and the other was swamped. I'd offer, but I have NO clue on how.

It'd definitely be an awesome service to offer.

But unfortunately, I'm one of these "weirdos" that prefers to apply stickers instead of decals. I just find stickers easier for me to work with, they're more in my comfort zone, and they're a lot more forgiving than decals when I f?ck up or get over-meticulous with positioning them.

I think why there has been failure at this is because one guy has been trying to do it all, like Devin, or the guy who tried to take over for him. If you could find partners in different regions of the world, it might go easier because you guys could share the workload if one guy was slow and the other was swamped. I'd offer, but I have NO clue on how.

That was my thinking.

David: The VF-0 and SV-51 were already up there. I've added an option for the macross plus stuff.

Excillon: It's printing equipment that's been the real killer. Most custom decals have been printed on a machine commonly referred to as the Alps. It's been out of production for over 10 years, and production of consumables stopped (IIRC) a couple of years ago. Things are now starting to dry up. Luckily there's a few alternative options starting to appear (mostly driven by the custom clothing transfer market) that can be adapted to modelling purposes. They're still expensive, but they're at least operable in a home / garage environment rather than a full workshop.

Mog: There's nothing to stop me printing on sticker sheet rather than decal film. You'd still need to be a ninja with an exacto blade though. :ph34r:

Mog: There's nothing to stop me printing on sticker sheet rather than decal film. You'd still need to be a ninja with an exacto blade though. :ph34r:

Pheewwwww.....Good thing I'm a ninja :ph34r:

Then shoot, I wish I could change some of my votes! :)

I've got some custom designs all ready to go too. (I'd just need to get the toy in my hand to get the measurements, look, and overall scheme lay-out exactly how I'd like it.)

As for being a ninja, I've already got a petite, sharp pair of scissors to get the cuts just right on those infamous "NO STEP" stickers. As the old saying goes, sometimes having the right tools makes doing the job a hell of a lot easier. ;)

Hey all,

I'm thinking about starting up a service to print custom decals, and could do with some information, so I can figure out if it's worthwhile, and how much time I should devote to the Macross / fantasy / sci-fi stuff (which I like) and stuff like model railroads and wargaming stuff (which I find a little tedious).

I'm talking about laser printed, clear film backed waterslide decals. Oh yes, with WHITE printing.

On the poll, please use the following guideline:

Question 1 - Please specify yes, no or undecided, and then select which ranges you are most interested in.

Question 2 - Specify roughly how many sets you'd be likely to order over the next year.

Question 3 - Specify roughly how much you could spend in one go - shipping isn't likely to cost more than $15 to anywhere in the world.

I also need high resolution scans of appropriate sticker sheets - I'd appreciate anyone who can provide these to drop me a PM.

Please note, I am NOT ready to start taking orders. I'm just trying to get a handle on whether there's sufficient demand for me to put out money to provide the service for macross related stuff.

I am assuming the decals will be printed on ALPS printer?

No, the print setup is to be a pair of OKI3200 laser printers, one with white toner, the other with sublimation colour toner. I'm waiting for there to be sufficient interest to print a fairly large amout of decals before I order them - I need to be sure I'll get my money back.