Mospeada Line Art Thread

akim

Is there something to be gained by being a jerk?

Well said. I'm about a big a Mosapada fan as anyone and I used to post here far more often then I do now. Granted the biggest reason for that is just that real life keeps getting in the way but Shawn sent me a link to Roger's document over the weekend and Roger and I exchanged several emails. He doesn't deserve the treatment that he has received here. Granted I'm not always happy with the tone of his posts and I'm not even sure I've seen his later ones but he certainly has reason to be frustrated. See Shawn's post. But I know Roger is a long time Mospeada fan. He's put his time and money on the line for a project that he thought all Mospeada fans would enjoy. And to see the way he has been treated in exchange for that really makes me sad. I certainly hope there is a way that Roger and his source are someday able to share this material in a way that keeps all envolved parties happy BUT at this stage I can't help but feel that he thinks none of us are worth the effort... and seeing posts like danth's I can't say that I blame him. And I'm sure at some level that is why I don't make more of an effort to be here more than I have been recently. I can deal with enough c^@p in my own personal life to keep me busy, I don't need to come here and see more. Am I the only one that longs for the yesteryears of MacrossWorld where everyone seemed friendly and eager to help? I don't know... maybe I was just better at blinding myself to the c^@p back then.

Anyways... that's my 2 cents,

Carl

Roger can't post for some reason, but he asked I offer his story to this entire mess.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df9xwj94_69hbzgvddb

Shawn

Having heard about the Mospeada publication idea a while back but not knowing what happened to it until now, that whole thing was surprising. The problem revolved around Harmony Gold being ambiguous... again. Everything they touch turns to crap, doesn't it? I agree, Roger probably doesn't deserve flak after being used like that.

Let's not crap on Danth here too much. Roger goes out of his way to be an ass to people and sometimes he's bound to have it come back around to him. I'm not talking in regard to what happened with his images but rather in regard to the tone that some people use when responding to him. If Danth came off like an ass to Roger than oopty friggin' do... I'm guaranteeing we can find plenty of posts where Roger was a total ass to lots of people. For that matter, if Roger was upfront and friendly in the beginning there's a good chance we wouldn't have got to a situation where "stolen" images were being posted on the Interwebs.

Hopefully we all get a book of additional Mospeada line art at some point... and hopefully everyone so keen on the fate of these pics purchases said book.

Yeah, I didn't detect any "unbridled hostility" in danth's post either, or maybe 'nerd' is a more offensive term in some places. To me it was a relevent question untill I read Roger's message.

I would like to have a book of these images too, but if that fails I would rather see them on some guy's Photobucket account than never see them. However seeing as Roger gave his word to 'Collector Y' that they wouldn't be distributed on the net then I geuss we wait to see if the Japanese can bring out a book instead.

Kudos to Roger for trying to get them published in the first place.

Let's not crap on Danth here too much. Roger goes out of his way to be an ass to people and sometimes he's bound to have it come back around to him. I'm not talking in regard to what happened with his images but rather in regard to the tone that some people use when responding to him. If Danth came off like an ass to Roger than oopty friggin' do... I'm guaranteeing we can find plenty of posts where Roger was a total ass to lots of people. For that matter, if Roger was upfront and friendly in the beginning there's a good chance we wouldn't have got to a situation where "stolen" images were being posted on the Interwebs.

Hopefully we all get a book of additional Mospeada line art at some point... and hopefully everyone so keen on the fate of these pics purchases said book.

Being straight to the point here. I thought I'd clear up a few things on my part. First and foremost, I had put up a couple pics roughly two years ago, not knowing where they came from. During that time back when, as I still do, I had tons of CDs of various art from Macross, Mospead, Bubblegum Crisis, and Gundam, as I'm sure quite a few people have their own little stacks as well. Back then, in seeing this stuff on a CD, I figured it was just something I got from further back in time. Thus, I posted the pics. Roger had contacted me, and asked that I take them down. Since he was nice about it, I did. His only explanation was that they were pics he had taken. There was no history, or anything as far as he had been trying to do with them. And by no means, was he entitled to do so. This supposedly is water under the bridge, and not too relevant.

Fast forward to about 6 months ago...I was going through my ragged CD collection, and I see these pics again. I had bought a new computer by then, so I didn't have this stuff on my new one, so I put them in my computer. A couple months later, I decided I wanted to take out what part of them made them photographs, and make them into lineart. So, my task began in photoshop to clean them up.

Now fast forward to last weekend. Seeing as how they weren't the photographs Roger took, I felt it was OK to post them up. Simple as that. When this became such a big issue with him, that's when I found out about the history of what he wanted to do with them and how it failed (at least his 1/2 of it). Honestly, had I known what they were being used for, I probably wouldn't have bothered posting them here. The ones I posted I thought were the only ones of Rogers, but it turns out scans I have too, are his, some 70 pages it seems. It's no mystery that Roger and I have had issues. In fact, I hadn't heard a peep from him in over those 2 years until about 2 months or so ago, when he decided to put my character in check in a few posts. He dished it out, and I did as well, but I think what got him banned was the fact that I didn't want to continue the argument, while apparently, he kept going. I will say that I didn't post these up for any other reason than I simply wanted to. Not for some message board glory or anything like that. Simply because I know what it's like to want to see pics of stuff.

I'm also not necessarily innocent here either, and I don't claim to be. Like I said earlier, I took down the pics I put up years ago because he was nice to me. I didn't even know who this guy was, don't ever remember him coming over to my house, and couldn't remember his face at that time. His comments of trying to start some sort of issue with me did come to mind when I posted these up, but again, I felt the work I did on them took the picture aspect out of the equation. There's a few ways this could've been prevented, yes. I could've never posted pics up even if I thought there was no issue with it, Roger could've explained a little more, especially since I have those pics, anybody else who knew the scope of the matter could've filled anyone in. None of this was done, and we are where we are.

Since I've been told not to post them here, I won't. Aside from those that already have the pics, I'll leave it at that. Had I known all of Roger's hopes and dreams in life were riding on keeping the pics out of public and trying to get some picture book made, I would've left them alone. Seeing as how this book was doomed as soon as Tommy got wind of it, I do feel bad for the guy. Hopefully he can find a simple solution to getting back a return on his investment. Perhaps there's options out there, and he won't be such a bitter person anymore. I know if they were for sale as a book, DVD, CD, or magazine, I'd buy one from him.

Oh, and to chime in on what you said Jenius, yeah, being a little nice goes a long way. Could've resolved, and made light a lot of things, and put the pics I have into some context.

Edited by Jasonc

Let's not crap on Danth here too much. Roger goes out of his way to be an ass to people and sometimes he's bound to have it come back around to him.

I didn't mean to put all the blame on Danth... I've seen many other comments like his elsewhere and I agree Roger has at times appeared to be going out of his way to ruffle feathers. My point is despite how many times the "crap" is sent back and forth... can't we all be adults here and get past it? Personally I don't care who dished it out first or if someone had it coming to them. I'm 40! And I feel like big enough of a nerd thinking about how much money I've spent on Mospeada over the years that to have to argue about it (a cartoon) in public (MacrossWorld) just seems pointless. Am I correct to assume the median age of Mospeada fans is something close to 40... or am I really talking to a bunch of teenagers?

See to me collecting lineart, kits, Mospeada stuff, etc. is a hobby. Something I do for fun... when I want to escape the arguments and stress that exist in daily life. I want to come to a thread like this one and see something cool and socialize with friends of similiar interests. Posts like this one... just aren't fun.

And if there are any actual teenagers out there... WELCOME to Mospeada!!! Don't let us old farts turn you off too much. I have a teenage boy myself that I wish enjoyed Mospeada as much as I do but I think he's afraid of turning into as big a nerd as his father so I certainly don't push him too hard in that direction.

And before this turns into the ramblings of a senile old man... what!? Too late you say...

Oh well,

Carl

Edited by wwwmwww

The drama between Roger and the book and HG has nothing to do with MW. A few pics were posted and were taken down. But everything else happened outside this site.

True, and that's the reason why I'm simply writing my part that is related to it, since my part was on here. Clearing that up, and letting it air out, it should be squashed by now. Any other left over issues should be dealt with elsewhere. Whatever lessons all parties need to learn from this work, and all should be well once again.

Yeah, I didn't detect any "unbridled hostility" in danth's post either, or maybe 'nerd' is a more offensive term in some places. To me it was a relevent question untill I read Roger's message.(...)

You'll have to recalibrate your hostility sensors.

some nerd's naive dream

some - quantifier used dismisively

nerd - derogatory noun (definition: Nerd is a term often bearing a derogatory connotation or stereotype, that refers to a person who passionately pursues intellectual activities)

naive - not necessarily derogatory, but given the rest of the sentence, used to reinforce the disparaging tone (definition: marked by or showing unaffected simplicity and lack of guile or worldly experience)

Conclusion: it's not any single word, but all of them taken together that makes it overly hostile, insulting, and frankly, unecessary, IF the question is genuine.

Personally, if I were asking a genuine question, I wouldn't insult the person I'm asking the question to, especially if I want an honest answer. It doesn't matter the past relationship with the person, or the person(s) that I'm asking about.

I'm with Exo on the drama. Though, I'd also like to add that I feel sympathy for Roger. His bitterness is understandable. Can someone pass the message along to him about trying to get the book published in a different country - one not tainted by HG?

Jason, your explanation on page 13 of this thread doesn't fit with the one you posted on page 12. And the last time you posted these images wasn't over two years ago, it was one year ago like on page 3.

Fits just fine, as far as time elapsed, seems like much longer than that, but in either case, it was sometime ago.

Let's not crap on Danth here too much. Roger goes out of his way to be an ass to people and sometimes he's bound to have it come back around to him. I'm not talking in regard to what happened with his images but rather in regard to the tone that some people use when responding to him. If Danth came off like an ass to Roger than oopty friggin' do...

Hey, I totally agree. If someone said something mean to you a while back on a toy board, someone you've never met, someone whose opinion of you should mean absolutely zero, you should definitely hold a grudge and use any opportunity possible to dump on him--because it's only fair, it's TOY BOARD JUSTICE AND RETRIBUTION.

My six-year-old nephew is more mature than this.

Puh-leeze.

I never called Roger a saint. I've never even met the guy. I just thought it was a jerk thing to say that came out of nowhere on a subject that had nothing to do with this Biggie-Tupac style grudge that apparently exists between Roger and some of you.

Because frankly, I didn't know you guys were gangsta.

A month from now, I'm not even going to remember that I posted on this thread, much less who else did.

Can someone pass the message along to him about trying to get the book published in a different country - one not tainted by HG?

All ready suggested in my emails to Roger over the weekend along with several other options.

Had I known all of Roger's hopes and dreams in life were riding on keeping the pics out of public and trying to get some picture book made, I would've left them alone.

I certainly don't think Roger expected to make his living on this one book so I think its a bit much to say he had ALL his hopes and dreams riding on this. But he was fairly clear he had high hopes for this material from the beginning.

There is a nice article of his in Super7 Magazine issue #15 that I highly recommend. It might be available here though I don't see mention of issue #15 sold out or otherwise.

http://super7store.com/magazine/back_issues.php

In addition to that here are several other links that I'd highly recommend to those that want to comment on this issue:

http://sdf5x.blogspot.com/2007/01/exclusiv...sign-image.html

http://sdf5x.blogspot.com/2007/02/space-st...er-harkavy.html

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/audio...60&cmd=apop

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/audio...85&cmd=apop

Based on the comment:

Roger suggests that if you're interested in seeing this art eventually published, get on the horn and politely suggest to the guys at Harmony Gold via Robotech.com...

I started these 2 threads on the topic:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=22172

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...&forumid=24

All of this has been out there for 2+ years... so I'd say he tried to get the word out. I made an effort myself with the above two threads. Was it enough? Should more have been said? I don't know but all of the above still makes interesting reading and listening even today.

Carl

Hey, I totally agree. If someone said something mean to you a while back on a toy board, someone you've never met, someone whose opinion of you should mean absolutely zero, you should definitely hold a grudge and use any opportunity possible to dump on him--because it's only fair, it's TOY BOARD JUSTICE AND RETRIBUTION.

My six-year-old nephew is more mature than this.

Puh-leeze.

I never called Roger a saint. I've never even met the guy. I just thought it was a jerk thing to say that came out of nowhere on a subject that had nothing to do with this Biggie-Tupac style grudge that apparently exists between Roger and some of you.

Because frankly, I didn't know you guys were gangsta.

A month from now, I'm not even going to remember that I posted on this thread, much less who else did.

It sounds like you don't know the players or the parts but are quick to pass judgment.

I certainly don't think Roger expected to make his living on this one book so I think its a bit much to say he had ALL his hopes and dreams riding on this. But he was fairly clear he had high hopes for this material from the beginning.

Well, I'm sure it would've/could've been life changing if something actually did come out. To get a book published with your name right there on the inside cover could be quite the turn of events for some people. In light of reading all this, perhaps that is what one of his major goals in life is. Who knows

Has there been any word on the Japanese Mospeada book that was in the works being cancelled? Is it officially "on hiatus." The sad truth, it seems to me, is that if there wasn't enough interest to get a Mospeada book off the ground in Japan than the chances are awfully slim of one being successful. I'm a huge Mospeada fan, I definitely would buy one, but I realize that I am in a very tiny minority.

It sounds like you don't know the players or the parts but are quick to pass judgment.

Yeah, my bad. I'm sure whatever he did to you or Danth or whoever on this board (devoted to adult toy fanatics) was very bad, like when Chong-Li beat up Jean Claude van Damme's brother in Bloodsport. Despite being Chong Li's #1 fan, I was totally rooting for Van Damme at that point.

Edited by gingaio

Has there been any word on the Japanese Mospeada book that was in the works being cancelled? Is it officially "on hiatus." The sad truth, it seems to me, is that if there wasn't enough interest to get a Mospeada book off the ground in Japan than the chances are awfully slim of one being successful. I'm a huge Mospeada fan, I definitely would buy one, but I realize that I am in a very tiny minority.

I'd buy it too ^_^

There's more Mospeada fans out there, more than we think B))

Thanks to EXO for re-opening this thread (on the condition that we go back to the topic of posting line art).

Just to remind everyone, there's a lot of people who have been posting line art in this thread over the last year and we would hate to see our work go away into archive obscurity. Thanks for understanding.

Some drama free line art from the Columbia Mospeada DVD releases:

mospdvdvol1a.JPG

Thanks to Exo to reopen the thread!!

Thanks to Totoro242 for all his efforts and contributions!!

Amazing pics!!

Especially Inbit hives, Amano designs....

From my part, seen on web:

post-1010-1241873511_thumb.jpeg

post-1010-1241873530_thumb.jpeg

post-1010-1241873547_thumb.jpeg

post-1010-1241873560_thumb.jpeg

akim.

Edited by akim

Thanks to Exo to reopen the thread!!

Thanks to Totoro242 for all his efforts and contributions!!

Amazing pics!!

Especially Inbit hives, Amano designs....

From my part, seen on web:

akim.

With that last pic from the above post, I remember Comico using that picture for one of their RT posters (except they removed Houquet and Yellow for some unknown reason).