Macross Frontier Mecha/Technology Thread *Read 1st post*

azrael

How do these colony fleets move? They don't seem to be travelling very fast, if they wanted to reach their destination, I'd assume they'be folding but it seems like they are just crusing which would take millions of years

Folding requires coordinates and unchartered space isn't going to provide you any. So I suppose they have to travel by cruising. And if we follow common sci-fi tropes, usually you can't jump/fold very far example from say earth to center of galaxy immediately. You will have to do it over several jumps.

I thought everyone was assuming the glow was from the knife being reinforced by a Pin Point Barrier.

Well i pointed out before a PPB on a knife doesn't quite make sense due to PPB being more for reinforcing the object it covers rather than making it like a beam saber.

Have to watch the raw again, but I thought it was Mikhail, who asked for the "Long Range Pack".

I take the long range pack to mean the standard Super Pack, with the addition of the sniper rifle, i.e for long range fire, instead of the standard gun pod.

I think the ELINT gear is standard on Luca's RVF-25 and it is also fitted with normal Super Packs in the episodes we have seen so far.

Graham

It's possible that the Long Range pack is a variation of the Super Pack and not related to the sniper rifle. Mikhail's Packs include a... thing... not seen on Alto's fighter. Circled in red in the screen cap.

post-6623-1209620234_thumb.png

They could be extra fuel tanks

Also, it's looking more like the VF-25 has internal missiles. Still no actual proof, but Alto's FAST Packs have a potential exit port in the same place as the possible port I speculated about before. Again circled in red.

post-6623-1209620251_thumb.png

I found this while browsing 2chan.

I never knew that there was line art of a Fast Pack equipped VF-4.

It sorta reminds me of the VF-25.

post-31-1209712931_thumb.jpg

nice, i thought the VF-4 was design to accept the regular FAST packs of the VF-1, it seems like it would block the transformation

Wow, first time to see that pic of a FP equipped VF-4. Anybody know which book or magazine it's from?

Graham

I may be wrong but that reminds me of the concepts of the VF-4 that is in the Macross 2036 game that has a VF-4 designed for it with fast packs that was designed before Kawamorii ever unveiled what the vf-4 looked like in battroid mode.

You wonder how many of these factories the UN has gotten its hands on over the years.

I wouldn't expect them to have found many, if any.

The Galaxy is quite vast and I'm sure there are quite a few "unconverted" fleets still out there guarding those facilities.

Spacy's main focus seems to have been getting emigration fleets out the door, as opposed to tracking down available factory satellites.

Then there is the need to keep at least a few of those factories producing Zentreadi weaponry for humanities giant friends...

However, it would be interesting to know if they've found more...

I hear that UN Spacy's picture is the VF-4 taken from the missing pages of the Flashback Graffiti book. I recently got four pictures of the VF-4 from another member, one of which is that one posted above. They are low quality photos, but you can at least see the details. Sadly it's unlikely I'll be able to obtain high resolution scans from anyone with the book, since it's so rare. :)

nice, i thought the VF-4 was design to accept the regular FAST packs of the VF-1, it seems like it would block the transformation

I don't think it would block the transformation, so much as replace parts of it. The "before" picture basically removes the fighter's arms, and the FAST pack is installed in their place.

I may be wrong but that reminds me of the concepts of the VF-4 that is in the Macross 2036 game that has a VF-4 designed for it with fast packs that was designed before Kawamorii ever unveiled what the vf-4 looked like in battroid mode.

I thought the 2036 VF-4 looked different. Not to suggest you're wrong--I agree with you. The way the arm/cannon mount is removed suggests the designers didn't know how Kawamori intended the VF-4 to transform, (or hadn't decided how it would transform yet).

On the other hand, I don't see anything about this arrangement that would prevent the fighter from transforming. The only issue I see is the arms being replaced.

I hear that UN Spacy's picture is the VF-4 taken from the missing pages of the Flashback Graffiti book. I recently got four pictures of the VF-4 from another member, one of which is that one posted above. They are low quality photos, but you can at least see the details. Sadly it's unlikely I'll be able to obtain high resolution scans from anyone with the book, since it's so rare. :)

Not as rare as highly valued!

Anytime you see one on Yahoo Japan, the bidding starts at 5000 yen... Which it never stays at and is quite pricey for any vintage magazine of that size...

They regularly pop up and you can get one if you are willing to pay the piper...

Edited by Zinjo

I found this while browsing 2chan.

I never knew that there was line art of a Fast Pack equipped VF-4.

It sorta reminds me of the VF-25.

Reminds me alot of the VBR sketch.

Well i pointed out before a PPB on a knife doesn't quite make sense due to PPB being more for reinforcing the object it covers rather than making it like a beam saber.

The PPB would make the knife unbreakable and sharp enough to cut an atom (the barrier extends the cutting edge).

I thought everyone was assuming the glow was from the knife being reinforced by a Pin Point Barrier.

The PPB system produces disc like energy to deflect oncoming attacks. You see it in the VF-19 and Vf-21 brawl in the mock city in Macross plus. Its a conclusion since we really dont kno what the Technology level is in Macross F.

By the way did anyone notice the Fighter that at the End of Ep. 5 that looked like a Vf-4 equipped with a Fold booster. Granted there is a thruster on underbelly of the fighter but never the less it looks VF-4. Or a decadent of the design.

The PPB system produces disc like energy to deflect oncoming attacks. You see it in the VF-19 and Vf-21 brawl in the mock city in Macross plus. Its a conclusion since we really dont kno what the Technology level is in Macross F.

By the way did anyone notice the Fighter that at the End of Ep. 5 that looked like a Vf-4 equipped with a Fold booster. Granted there is a thruster on underbelly of the fighter but never the less it looks VF-4. Or a decadent of the design.

It could be the mystery fighter in the OP. The one Alto-Hime's VF-25 does a "fly by" with. :unsure:

Now that you mentioned it the silhouette of the mystery fighter in the OP does remind me a lot of the VF-4. B))

Edited by grss1982

But the fighter from the opening seemed to have a bit more squared off wing design then the one from the end of the episode.

Looks like a non-variable fighter to me...

Does the silhouette look familiar?

2466380448_71b5ac3c87_o.jpg

The unknown fighter from the opening has an almost identical forward nose/fuselage silhouette to the VF-25 (with the exception of the quad canards), so I don't think the Galaxy Fleet fighter is the same. In fact, I'm not getting much of a "fighter" vibe from this ship. It feels a lot like a scout or transport ship, in the same vein as the transport that carried Sheryl to Frontier.

Edited by Mr March

The unknown fighter from the opening has an almost identical forward nose/fuselage silhouette to the VF-25 (with the exception of the quad canards), so I don't think the Galaxy Fleet fighter is the same. In fact, I'm not getting much of a "fighter" vibe from this ship. It feels a lot like a scout or transport ship, in the same vein as the transport that carried Sheryl to Frontier.

As you can see from the pic I posted, it has a fold booster of the same size to those in Macross plus and it's silhouette is very reminiscent of a fighter. The angles are also too short for a transport too.

to heron,

I agree it's small, but like I said it could be a scout craft of some kind or a transport. It could be like the small RC-4E Rabbit, carrying only a few people and mostly used for reconnaissance. I'm not seeing weapons, so I'm just guessing at this point.

Edited by Mr March

yeah, reminds me alot too to the VF-2SS, perhaps a lilttle nod for the Macross Ii lovers

anyway, I got a question, if the Vajra armor is made of the same energy conversion material as the Valkyries, how come they can take such a beating and are almost invulnerable compared to the usual valk that just blows up??? just curious

to heron,

I agree it's small, but like I said it could be a scout craft of some kind or a transport. It could be like the small RC-4E Rabbit, carrying only a few people and mostly used for reconnaissance. I'm not seeing weapons, so I'm just guessing at this point.

Hmm, true, true. I'm more leaning toward your idea that it is a scout-type vehicle. Well, whatever it is, we shall see soon enough. ^_^

anyway, I got a question, if the Vajra armor is made of the same energy conversion material as the Valkyries, how come they can take such a beating and are almost invulnerable compared to the usual valk that just blows up??? just curious

Likely a much stronger/more efficient form of energy converting armor than on the Valks.

Graham

Likely a much stronger/more efficient form of energy converting armor than on the Valks.

Graham

Yep... Is the same type, but stronger/thicker. I bet they regenerate it also...

This is odd... I mean... Is like the Vajra were designed either from a Variable Fighter or to specifically fight the Variable Fighters... (a Zero connection? SMS/NUNS conspiracy?)

The fact that the red Vajra has energy converting armor only strengthens the protoculture or Supervision army connection IMO.

Energy converting armor was somthing that AFAIK, humanity reverse engineered from the ASS-1 wreckage, so it is very, very old tech by galactic standards.

Graham

Yep... Is the same type, but stronger/thicker. I bet they regenerate it also...

This is odd... I mean... Is like the Vajra were designed either from a Variable Fighter or to specifically fight the Variable Fighters... (a Zero connection? SMS/NUNS conspiracy?)

No idea. ECA may have been Protoculture idea so the Vajra may have been influenced by Protoculture. Since the red Vajra seem to have a much more powerful core, it's probably without doubt they have stronger ECA, which is why they seem to be more resistant to missiles and other anti-aircraft weapons. Short of getting in close for melee combat, high velocity ammo, or several shots from a particle weapon, you'll probably need to use a high yield explosive to penetrate its shell.

The ECA AFAIK was only utilized in Battroid mode. So far, no mention of it has been made for its use in fighter mode. If you notice the VF-25s can take much more of a beating while transformed as opposed to in fighter mode.

As for the Galaxy Fleet ship, it is really hard to tell if it is or is not variable. The design is a bit a nod to the VF-2SS, but also to the XWA series Kawamori was working on in 2000. It is entirely possible it could be a "courier" ship or a different type of Elint fighter as well. I guess we'll have to wait and see what they have when the Frontier forces investigate.

For me, it some sort of escape pod.

Looks like its taking a lot of design elements from the X-9. Or any of the later ghosts - on that note, hope we see some more Frontier-era ghosts, they looks cool! Direct descendants of the X-9! :D

Looks like its taking a lot of design elements from the X-9. Or any of the later ghosts - on that note, hope we see some more Frontier-era ghosts, they looks cool! Direct descendants of the X-9! :D

...which due to the Vajra's EMPs won't be of any good...

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

I'd agree that the reactor probably is the key factor in the Vajra technology. That thing is pumping out all kinds of power, folding on it's own and firing that big gun that can blow up entire warships. With that kind of power, it's no wonder the Energy Converting Armor on that thing is so tough.

Also, do we know for sure ECA can only be used in Battroid mode? My impression (speculation) is that the specifics of Energy Converting Armor technology described in Macross Zero were limitations only for the early VF-0/SV-51 variable fighters still powered by overtuned but conventional engines. The official statistics note specifically in the VF-0 profile that future variable fighters will utilize similar technology, but not necessarily identical nor as limited. When the VF-1 was made with reaction engines, obviously it's going to have far more surplus power than the VF-0 ever did. By 2059, ECA is likely to have already been used in all modes for many fighter generations and the most modern advances in ECA efficiency may have supplanted the need for pin-point barrier systems.

Edited by Mr March